Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Media Grades on the Colts 2013

I agree with the analyst. I don't think we hit any home runs here but I think we made some good picks that were of need. I think the next off season we are really going to be in good shape.. Heading into the 2014 season I think we will have a much higher understanding on where this team stands in the NFL.

@ SupermanLuck12...agreed.  This draft wasn't sexy but taken with our moves in free agency Grigson has addressed a lot of needs this offseason.  Now it's time to see how this team stacks up and what needs still exist.  I imagine that finding Reggie's and Bethea's replacements will probably be at the top of the list next off season.  Nevertheless...we have done a lot of building in a relatively short period of time and pending the outcome of the upcoming season...next off season may very well be the one that puts this team over the hump. 

I agree with the analyst. I don't think we hit any home runs here but I think we made some good picks that were of need. I think the next off season we are really going to be in good shape.. Heading into the 2014 season I think we will have a much higher understanding on where this team stands in the NFL.

I agree with you on this. This draft seemed to be a draft where none of the picks were sexy, but we addressed the trenches and pass rush. Next draft we need to hopefully bring in more playmakers at CB, RB, WR.

I love it. High praise means higher expectations, and for the most part, we are flying under the radar. Don't forget that we got A grades last season because of Andrew. If not we would have been graded a C- or D+.......and they would have been wrong.

Don't look behind the curtain and see the monster. You'll see it soon enough.

We'll still have a good amount of cap room next year as well to plug holes and get better. This draft addressed the trenches which winning teams need to do. Obviously the regime didnt feel that WR and Corner were that big of needs to reach on guys they didn't have rated higher than the guys we took. I'm happy with this draft. Championship teams have serious depth, and that's what we're trending towards.

Blast ESPN Insider... if any one actually subscribes to this could you please post up a link to or summary of Mel Kiper's draft grade for the Colts. Thanks.

Edit: Ok...this is the best I could find for now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/49670/mel-kipers-early-reviews

He wasn't enamored with the Werner pick....doesn't think he has any elite traits.

Thought Thorton was good value and has a chance to start this year

Holmes could be eventual starter

Thought Hughes was interesting and could develop into something

He really liked the Williams pick

And like a typical boob, was disappointed the colts didn't pick a CB or WR.....overall C+

What these guys are missing (and honestly, I don't really hold it against them considering they've got 32 teams to cover and need to offer analysis instantly to please the draft freaks) is that what makes a good draft is more complex than simply looking at a paper with ranked out numerical players, seeing what team landed the most of them, and calling them the winners.

Beyond that those lists aren't accurate to start, different teams value different traits with more emphasis and has different scouts, and so every team has a different big board. 

The biggest thing to look for on draft day isn't just landing good players; it's building YOUR team, not the analysts or internet mock drafters. When I examine our draft, it's crystal clear to see the draft philosophy and the identity we're building. We're loading our team up with passionate players, instinctive guys who play with a mean streak and physicality, and who have a chip on their shoulders. This draft class was much more cohesive than many teams who have higher ratings this morning. 

This is a draft class which reflects our coach's philosophy and attitude, and is the other side of the coin that last year's skill-position based class was. This class alone won't get us to a Super Bowl just like last year's alone wouldn't; but put them together, and you've got a young core that lays the foundation of what the next generation of Colts football is. 

And, ladies and gentlemen, it's gonna be good.

He wasn't enamored with the Werner pick....doesn't think he has any elite traits.

Thought Thorton was good value and has a chance to start this year

Holmes could be eventual starter

Thought Hughes was interesting and could develop into something

He really liked the Williams pick

And like a typical boob, was disappointed the colts didn't pick a CB or WR.....overall C+

Thanks...really appreciated!

I'm glad we used this year's draft on the o-line and d-line pass rush seeing it was this draft's strength. Next year's draft has more quality at the skill positions, escpecially in the 1st and 2nd. More elite players. Grigson and co. played it right in this draft.

Everyone wants that flashy WR and CB, but look who'll be there next year.

WR: Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Brandon Coleman, Malcolm Mitchell, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews 

CB: Bradley Roby, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Darqueze Dennard, Purifoy Louchiez, Aaron Colvin

We'll have plenty of talent to choose from in next year's draft if we want to go skill position. 

Spot on!!! All these tools wanting sizzle but can't judge steak. I want to hear Polian & Mayock. Not these airheaded analysts.

Well nothing specifically on the Colts but here is Polian at least with McShay and Kiper discussing draft "winners and losers".

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/76576/video-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-2

If anyone cares, right now on ESPN they are doing a "Sportscenter Special" grading all of the teams in the draft. Jaws, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Herm are the ones discussing it. I don't believe they have done AFC South though(I've only seen AFC West/NFC West/AFC East so far.

Now don't expect good grades from media for our draft. It was a flashy draft, but we got a lot of needs. People are claiming we didn't address pass rush?? What was that Werner pick for? lol And with the O-Line upgrades, Luck will have much more time. Yes I know we missed on some bigger names but after looking up these players I'm excited. They all LOVE football more than anything else, which I think matters a lot to our staff.

It always seems that people act as if we were just a one-hit wonder team because of Pagano's illness...I'm sick of that

I think it's premature to grade any draft until players have actually played a down in the NFL, any player can look good on paper. 

My two cents.

:rock:

Agreed, and even then you can't judge a draft until three years down the road.

All they're doing is judging how THEY did. In other words, if the teams don't agree with their analysis then the teams must be wrong.

Well, if you look at how some of those so called draft experts totally missed on some picks, then every team in the league must be wrong. Because they're the paid TV analysts, right?

I think that guy is an * because one thing he is pretty much saying that the colts wont compete just because they didn't hit any home runs and I think that's crap. now I agree probably the best player they got out of this draft was that Werner but I don't agree that they wont surprise teams again.

I think what he meant by the" they won't surprise teams" statement is that based off of last year's success, expectations for the Colts will be higher this season.  Thus teams will know right off the bat that the Colts have a formidable team.  Last year...most expected the Colts to win 5 games going into the season so the perception is that they were able to sneak up on a few opponents early on. 

That said...I don't think this team needs to "surprise" anyone to beat them.

CBS: B

The Colts took a pair of longtime Pac-12 contributors in USC center Khaled Holmes and Oregon safety John Boyett, each of whom should have a chance to push for playing time as rookies. However, the most intriguing pick from Indianapolis on Saturday could be Nevada running back Kerwynn Williams, whose speed and versatility should get him on the field in some capacity, be it for kick returns or in the backfield.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/28/4277080/2013-nfl-draft-grades-afc-south

Say what you will about Kiper,  but he knows what he's offering is an instant snap judgement.   And he knows those are often wrong.

Kiper will -- somewhere down the road -- go back and re-grade this draft based on performance.    And when he does that,  he shows his original grade as well.    So, if he's wrong,  he will show he's wrong and he will say he's wrong.

The man is accountable for what he says and does.    He does not duck and hide from his mistakes.    

I agree with the video, I gave us a B- to B, but what I don't like about these analyst discussions is that none of them discuss how we have brought in so many players to ADDRESS the needs we had.  It's like, they speak on the draft and then say we still have holes.  For example, in the NFLN vid, the dude speaks on we still need a CB but doesn't mention how we re-signed Butler and signed Toler.  Not saying picking a CB would have been bad, but saying "need" and not "use" are two different things. 

It's like they don't realize the impact our FA had on our approach to this year's draft.

Just my two sense.  

What I think a lot of analysts are misinterpreting with the Colts draft is this. These players are not the play-making, sexy type of picks but what these players do is help out the team and to me are an extension of last years draft. 

Werner: helps out the defense in setting the edge, helps out the run and most importantly helps out our pass rush which benefits our defensive backs

Thornton & Holmes: Helps out Luck and Ballard the most

Hughes: Bit of a project, at best will be rotational guy this year. Hopefully helps out the run stop unit.

Boyett: Probably a special teamer this year, learns behind Bethea for a year, maybe steps in as a 3rd or 4th safety. 

Williams: Gives us a speed element that we did not have in the RB corps when Brown got hurt, can add to our return group as well.

Cunningham: Blocking TE at a cheap rate.

All of these picks address needs that we had, that were not strongly established in FA. It's a solid draft (B- to B) but time will tell on it.

I'm glad we used this year's draft on the o-line and d-line pass rush seeing it was this draft's strength. Next year's draft has more quality at the skill positions, escpecially in the 1st and 2nd. More elite players. Grigson and co. played it right in this draft.

Everyone wants that flashy WR and CB, but look who'll be there next year.

WR: Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Brandon Coleman, Malcolm Mitchell, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews 

CB: Bradley Roby, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Darqueze Dennard, Purifoy Louchiez, Aaron Colvin

We'll have plenty of talent to choose from in next year's draft if we want to go skill position. 

That's exactly the point.  You play to the draft's strengths.  Next year is the year to pick up skills positions.

What these guys are missing (and honestly, I don't really hold it against them considering they've got 32 teams to cover and need to offer analysis instantly to please the draft freaks) is that what makes a good draft is more complex than simply looking at a paper with ranked out numerical players, seeing what team landed the most of them, and calling them the winners.

Beyond that those lists aren't accurate to start, different teams value different traits with more emphasis and has different scouts, and so every team has a different big board. 

The biggest thing to look for on draft day isn't just landing good players; it's building YOUR team, not the analysts or internet mock drafters. When I examine our draft, it's crystal clear to see the draft philosophy and the identity we're building. We're loading our team up with passionate players, instinctive guys who play with a mean streak and physicality, and who have a chip on their shoulders. This draft class was much more cohesive than many teams who have higher ratings this morning. 

This is a draft class which reflects our coach's philosophy and attitude, and is the other side of the coin that last year's skill-position based class was. This class alone won't get us to a Super Bowl just like last year's alone wouldn't; but put them together, and you've got a young core that lays the foundation of what the next generation of Colts football is. 

And, ladies and gentlemen, it's gonna be good.

Now there you go, making all kinds of sense & everything.