Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Post Mock Draft

My first post in the forums, I thought I would do a mock draft since its nearing draft day.

Round 1 Pick 24 - Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
The more I think about who we can take here the more it makes sense we pick up Moore if he is available, but I do see him dropping down to us with his poor combine and just bigger needs for the teams ahead of us.  I don't think much about combine results and on tape this guy is a monster.  He plays the run really well and he can put pressure on the QB.  I think he would fit well as we are adjusting to our hybrid 3-4 defense.  Game tape shows better explosion and speed than his combine numbers showed.

Round 3 Pick 86 - Terrence Williams WR Baylor

Big physical WR thats a bit raw in terms of route running ability and catches with his body too much rather than with his hands.  These are all things that he can work on and someone Reggie can groom to fill his spot after he retires.  Hes a good redzone threat with great height (6'2'') and leaping ability (33'' Vert).  

Round 4 Pick 118 - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU(Formerly)

Mathieu is someone who has fallen down because of decisions off the field and getting kicked out of LSU, but he showed up with good combine and proday numbers and is someone who I think we should role the dice.  He has a lot of upside and although hes undersized at 5'9'' he plays bigger than his height.  Is very sound in both man and zone coverage would help out our secondary a lot. 

Round 6 Pick 182 - Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Davis is someone whos going to drop into the later rounds because of a poor showing his last 2 seasons in college and just better RB prospects that are ahead of him.  But looking back on his 2010 numbers this is a kid who knows how to run the ball, plays with good speed and power, and has good vision.  He came to the combine healthy at 5'10'' 227 lbs he ran a 4.37 40 and racked up 31 reps on the bench press.  He has comparable numbers to Adrian Peterson, just shorter and thicker.  He is going to be a good back in the NFL and could be the 3 down game changing RB the Colts have  been looking for since Edgerrin James.

Round 7 Pick 214 - David Quessenberry C/G/T San Jose St.

From a smaller division school, but had a good showing at the Senior Bowl and caught peoples eye.  He played OT at school, but can shift anywhere in the interior.  Decent athlete and quickness, good enough to pull if he played guard.  Is a bit thin compared to what you would like to see an interior linemen, but at 6'5'' he can thicken his frame just let him hit the weight room and he should fill in quicky. Is a good technician and can contribute at guard or use him for depth.

Just my ideal draft, I know anything can happen during draft day and some of you have these players taken higher up.  Thanks for reading. 

Mathieu would be a back-up for a year. The more I think about it, the only thing that he has the appeals to me is his return game. Having him would allow us to take TY off of punt returns. I think that is worth a 4th. As a corner no I don't like him, but as a returner and backup safety than yeah I think a 4th is worth it.

I like the Damontre Moore pick and the David Quessenberry pick but I highly doubt Quessenberry sees the 5th round let alone the 7th, Biggest problem I see with him is he is vulnerable to swim moves because he leans into defenders at times and gets caught off balance (a good example of this is on Youtube tape vs BYU at the 1:00 mark) 

My first post in the forums, I thought I would do a mock draft since its nearing draft day.

Round 1 Pick 24 - Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M

The more I think about who we can take here the more it makes sense we pick up Moore if he is available, but I do see him dropping down to us with his poor combine and just bigger needs for the teams ahead of us. I don't think much about combine results and on tape this guy is a monster. He plays the run really well and he can put pressure on the QB. I think he would fit well as we are adjusting to our hybrid 3-4 defense. Game tape shows better explosion and speed than his combine numbers showed.

Round 3 Pick 86 - Terrence Williams WR Baylor

Big physical WR thats a bit raw in terms of route running ability and catches with his body too much rather than with his hands. These are all things that he can work on and someone Reggie can groom to fill his spot after he retires. Hes a good redzone threat with great height (6'2'') and leaping ability (33'' Vert).

Round 4 Pick 118 - Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU(Formerly)

Mathieu is someone who has fallen down because of decisions off the field and getting kicked out of LSU, but he showed up with good combine and proday numbers and is someone who I think we should role the dice. He has a lot of upside and although hes undersized at 5'9'' he plays bigger than his height. Is very sound in both man and zone coverage would help out our secondary a lot.

Round 6 Pick 182 - Knile Davis RB Arkansas

Davis is someone whos going to drop into the later rounds because of a poor showing his last 2 seasons in college and just better RB prospects that are ahead of him. But looking back on his 2010 numbers this is a kid who knows how to run the ball, plays with good speed and power, and has good vision. He came to the combine healthy at 5'10'' 227 lbs he ran a 4.37 40 and racked up 31 reps on the bench press. He has comparable numbers to Adrian Peterson, just shorter and thicker. He is going to be a good back in the NFL and could be the 3 down game changing RB the Colts have been looking for since Edgerrin James.

Round 7 Pick 214 - David Quessenberry C/G/T San Jose St.

From a smaller division school, but had a good showing at the Senior Bowl and caught peoples eye. He played OT at school, but can shift anywhere in the interior. Decent athlete and quickness, good enough to pull if he played guard. Is a bit thin compared to what you would like to see an interior linemen, but at 6'5'' he can thicken his frame just let him hit the weight room and he should fill in quicky. Is a good technician and can contribute at guard or use him for depth.

Just my ideal draft, I know anything can happen during draft day and some of you have these players taken higher up. Thanks for reading.

I'd take Barrett Jones in the 2nd but I love it other than that!

I'm with you in regards to Mathieu. He's a somewhat controversial figure but someone's going to take a gamble on him and I think it will work out for whoever does. I hope its us.

I'd take Barrett Jones in the 2nd but I love it other than that!

I'm with you in regards to Mathieu. He's a somewhat controversial figure but someone's going to take a gamble on him and I think it will work out for whoever does. I hope its us.

we don't have a second round pick

Mathieu would be a back-up for a year. The more I think about it, the only thing that he has the appeals to me is his return game. Having him would allow us to take TY off of punt returns. I think that is worth a 4th. As a corner no I don't like him, but as a returner and backup safety than yeah I think a 4th is worth it.

He appeals to me as a corner, hes aggressive has good technique, and is fluid.  He has the speed to keep up with WR and competes for balls doesn't matter how big they are.  And most CB's require a full season of NFL play before they get adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.  And his returning abilities are more the reason we should try him out.

We definitely need another guard. Swap your 3rd round pick for someone like Brian Winters or 4th for Alvin Bailey.

I agree with you that we need another guard, but I don't find either of these very appealing.  I think if Williams is available it would be much better to take him and try and find a guard/center combo later in the draft.  I know someone might try and reach for him, but would be a great pick up for us.

Mayock said that Moore game tape didn't equal his stats, more of a mid 2nd round pick.

This was a consensus top 5 player before his poor combine workout and doubts on his work ethic.  I doubt hes going to drop that far into the 2nd and theres only a handful of prospects I would take over him with our pick and they're more than likely not going to be there. I.e. Xavier Rhodes, Cooper.

And before some starts ranting on me for not taking a DT/OLB in this mock draft.  Although I think Walden wasn't a good sign in FA I think he will fill the void pretty well and there aren't many that caught my eye and for DT before I use another pick and try and draft someone I want to see how Franklin and Chapman play this year.  We have some pretty solid looking guys to play DT for us its just a matter of giving them a chance.  If they don't pan out well then theres always next years draft, its not as big a need as the others imo.  Just thought I'd throw this in here.

Im reallyyyyyy liking the idea of drafting Winters but he has a few things that need ironed out although a solid 3rd round pick if we go that route if he is there, as for Mathieu, Nickel Corner, anything else except maybe FS and he will get abused