Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic OLB Targets

Upon scouring the forum, I couldn't find anything devoted to this year's class of incoming outside linebackers. I have heard many individuals here on this forum clamor for us to find a difference maker in the draft at OLB, so I wanted to know who people specifically think we have a legitimate shot at acquiring with the 24th overall pick. With the likes of Jordan and Mingo almost certainly off the board by the time we make our selection, who would YOU like to see rockin' the 'SHOE next season? (Information from http://walterfootball.com/draft2013OLB.php)

1.)Oregon_logo.gif Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon 
Height: 6-6. Weight: 248. Arm: 33.78. 
40 Time: 4.60. 
Projected Round (2013): Top-10 Pick.

2.) LSU_logo.gif Barkevious Mingo*, DE/OLB, LSU 

Height: 6-4. Weight: 241. Arm: 33.68. 
40 Time: 4.58. 
Projected Round (2013): Top-20 Pick.

3.) Georgia_logo.gif Jarvis Jones*, OLB, Georgia 

Height: 6-2. Weight: 242. Arm: 33.08. 
40 Time: 4.9. 
Projected Round (2013): Top-25 Pick.

4.) KansasState_logo.gif Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State 

Height: 6-0. Weight: 241. Arm: 32 1/4. Hand: 9 7/8. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.68. 
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

5.) Rutgers_logo.gif Khaseem Greene, OLB/S, Rutgers 

Height: 6-1. Weight: 241. Arm: 31 7/8. Hand: 9 1/2. 
40 Time: 4.71. 
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

6.) SouthernMiss_logo.gif Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss 

Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. Arm: 33 3/8. Hand 9 7/8 
40 Time: 4.64. 

7.)Connecticut_logo.gif Sio Moore, OLB, Connecticut 

Height: 6-1. Weight: 245. Arm: 33.58. 
40 Time: 4.65. 

8.)TexasAM_logo.gif Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M 

Height: 6-1. Weight: 229. Arm: 31 7/8. Hand: 9 3/8. 
40 Time: 4.75. 

9.)Stanford_logo.gif Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford 

Height: 6-3. Weight: 244. Arm: 31 1/8. Hand: 9 1/2. 
40 Time: 4.91. 
Projected Round (2013): 2-4.

10.)Connecticut_logo.gif Trevardo Williams, OLB, Connecticut 

Height: 6-1. Weight: 241. Arm: 32. Hand: 9 1/4. 
40 Time: 4.57. 
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

Thank you! I was hoping for some realistic feedback. That is an interesting selection. Who do you see us trading down into the second with? Do you think we could have a shot at him in the 3rd?

I find your lack of Damontre Moore...disturbing.

Thank you! I was hoping for some realistic feedback. That is an interesting selection. Who do you see us trading down into the second with? Do you think we could have a shot at him in the 3rd?

I'm honestly not sure who we'd trade down with.    But San Francisco (34) would be my hope.   That might give us the flexibility to even trade down a 2nd time and collect even more picks.

I think Collins might fall to the 3rd,  but it would be the top of the 3rd and not our pick toward the bottom.   But I think it's unlikely. I think he's got enough raw talent and had a good enough senior year to not to get out of the 2nd round.

Just my read of things,  but in this draft,  where I think there are roughly 45-50 2nd round quality picks,  anything could happen and Collins might fall....    really tough to know....

Unfortunately, Collins may not even last until 24. He's been a fast riser as teams are liking the footage they've seen to go along with the great measurables. 

For the 3rd round, here's a few names that may be available:

Corey Lemonier, Auburn

Chase Thomas, Stanford

John Simon, OSU

I'm honestly not sure who we'd trade down with. But San Francisco (34) would be my hope. That might give us the flexibility to even trade down a 2nd time and collect even more picks.

I think Collins might fall to the 3rd, but it would be the top of the 3rd and not our pick toward the bottom. But I think it's unlikely. I think he's got enough raw talent and had a good enough senior year to not to get out of the 2nd round.

Just my read of things, but in this draft, where I think there are roughly 45-50 2nd round quality picks, anything could happen and Collins might fall.... really tough to know....

Fair enough. I totally get your logic. I love the idea of trading down! But if we trade down, there are lots of enticing options!

And Alex Okafor...but I know you don't really like him as a pass rusher despite the fact that both Okafor and Moore had the same amount of sacks last year :)

Case Keenum had better stats than Luck did coming out of college. I'm more concerned about how their playing styles translate to the NFL.

Case Keenum had better stats than Luck did coming out of college. I'm more concerned about how their playing styles translate to the NFL.

Did you see Okafor beating Eric Fisher at the Senior Bowl all day in one on one drills? I guess I'd be willing to entertain the comparison if I could see any evidence to suggest that he's not every bit as good as Demontre Moore.

Did you see Okafor beating Eric Fisher at the Senior Bowl all day in one on one drills? I guess I'd be willing to entertain the comparison if I could see any evidence to suggest that he's not every bit as good as Demontre Moore.

I just like Moore as more of an OLB than I do Okafor. Okafor seems more like a 43 DE in the NFL to me than he does a 34 OLB. 

TBH I like Jamie Collins more than both of them though.

I just like Moore as more of an OLB than I do Okafor. Okafor seems more like a 43 DE in the NFL to me than he does a 34 OLB. 

They are literally the same height and Okafor has about 15lbs on him. Both of them are in pretty good range for a 3-4 OLB, but I'd argue that Okafor has the better body type aside from being faster and stronger (at least comparing their combine/pro day results). 

Don't get me wrong, I like Demontre Moore...just looking for more than a "feeling" to understand why Okafor is dismissed in the argument. 

i agree completely and have been saying this all along. IMO he's a 4-3 strong side DE. He is not a good pass rusher, he's slow, can't shed blocks, and forgets about the RB on running plays. I watched film on him and time after time on running plays he was taken completely out of the play because he could not shed his blocker or he just ran past the runner still trying to get the QB even though the RB was 8 yds. past him already. He isn't even a 2nd rder. IMO, but will go higher simply because so many teams are in search for all the pass rushing help they can get. Mike Mayock said he's a late 3rd or early 4th rd. prospect if it was a better pass rushing draft.

They are literally the same height and Okafor has about 15lbs on him. Both of them are in pretty good range for a 3-4 OLB, but I'd argue that Okafor has the better body type aside from being faster and stronger (at least comparing their combine/pro day results). 

Don't get me wrong, I like Demontre Moore...just looking for more than a "feeling" to understand why Okafor is dismissed in the argument. 

Basically what Balzer said above.

well I'm not Gavin and I'm not quite as high on Okafor as Gavin is, but personally I think Okafor could be a really good player in our defense as either a Sam LB or Rush LB.  He doesn't have elite speed for the position but I think he has very good speed.  I also think he has very good strength for the position.  

If Grigson takes Okafor at #24 I would be one of the few not complaining about it, but I would hope that guys like Warmack, Cooper, Rhodes, Mingo, Jarvis Jones etc are all off the board, which it's very likely they would be.

This whole thing about 3-4 olb 3-4 DE is nonsense when it comes down to it because he wont be asked to be either to the definition of what they are, he(Okafor, Moore) will be the HYBRID, a guy that can provide a 3rd or 4th or 5th down linemen that a O Lineman has to worry about and do it either standing up or with there hand in the dirt, there specialty is to pass rush, do ya think Suggs is great against the run? No but thats not his primary job. Okafor and Moore can play both standing up and with there hand in the dirt and do it from any of the linebacker spots

well I'm not Gavin and I'm not quite as high on Okafor as Gavin is,

To be clear.....     NO ONE is as high on Okafor as Gavin is!!    No one!!

Not even people in Okafor's family are as high on him as Gavin is!    I'm convinced Gavin actually has to be Okafor's agent!   He's got to be getting a cut of the contract,  don't ya think?!       haha   

I hope someone here knows Gavin and can sit with him during the draft....    I worry for my friend!     I don't want him to become unhinged if things don't go as he hopes....       :thmup:

Okafor could go in the first.    Or the second.    Or even the third.    It's going to be fun to watch....        :disco:

To be clear.....     NO ONE is as high on Okafor as Gavin is!!    No one!!

Not even people in Okafor's family are as high on him as Gavin is!    I'm convinced Gavin actually has to be Okafor's agent!   He's got to be getting a cut of the contract,  don't ya think?!       haha   

I hope someone here knows Gavin and can sit with him during the draft....    I worry for my friend!     I don't want him to become unhinged if things don't go as he hopes....       :thmup:

Okafor could go in the first.    Or the second.    Or even the third.    It's going to be fun to watch....        :disco:

Yep, you never know what's going to happen on draft day.  I remember a few years back Brandon Siler was a MLB coming out of florida projected as a late 1st to early 2nd round pick and then he doesn't get picked until the 7th round.  Heck even last year I remember Billy Wynn was projected on a lot of sites as a 2nd-3rd round pick and he doesn't go until the 6th round.  I was hoping he'd last one more pick and maybe we'd get him because I think he could have been a very good 3-tech/5-tech guy.  I was actually hoping we'd take him in the 5th but they took Ballard instead.  Don't get me wrong, I like Ballard a lot now, but at the time I was hoping for Winn.  Still think he may have been the better choice but I do still like Ballard a lot. :)

I find your lack of Damontre Moore...disturbing.

what do people think of Damontre moore? i havent seen him play personnally but like many, i think OLB is our main need. i have seen some mocks where he lands with the colts, thats why i ask...what are his strengths? powerfull or speed rusher? is he considered "project", a converted DE? OR natural OLB

what do people think of Damontre moore? i havent seen him play personnally but like many, i think OLB is our main need. i have seen some mocks where he lands with the colts, thats why i ask...what are his strengths? powerfull or speed rusher? is he considered "project", a converted DE? OR natural OLB

Moore is interesting. He was a dominate force last season but had a terrible combine (4.9 40, 12 bench reps). He was considered to be a lock for a top 5 pick before the combine. Lots of scouts have gone back to reveiew his tape and have concluded that he wasn't "all that impressive anyway" which I strongly disagree with. He's a natural OLB, but he could play a DE if need be on passing downs.

Just never been a fan of his...

Much prefer Jamie Collins

Blah I've done seen enough Collins highlights to pick his game apart in my opinion, he is worth our 3rd round pick not a 1st in my opinion

:26 1:57, 3:16 Poor strength (seen that in a couple tapes now)

:30, :41, :53, 1:27 Dives at feet for tackles (awful tackling technique and a pet peeve of mine)

2:30 appears to be lost in coverage

Does not flash alot of pass rush moves 

3:55 Hip turn is suspect 

Then I have questions about how he got his sacks, 1 I know came from being completely uncovered