Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning To Help Colts Vs Steelers From Booth

DILLIGAFER

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Oh thank you.

It has been my estimation that our biggest issue has been incompetence making adjustments on the fly. Clyde Christiansen has been inept. I feel our biggest wound has been not only the loss of Manning's mind, but the loss of Howard Mudd and Tom Moore. Putting Peyton's eyes on the field and his voice in their ears should alleviate much of what has been lost. Manning has absorbed 2 lifetimes of experience from his former coaches, as well as an understanding of O-line fixes from Mudd.

This is the best news to come to Colts fans in a long time. Do not underestimate what this means.

"Trust me, I'm bleeding with everyone else. It's still 'we.' It's not 'them.' I'm right there in it with them."

love it, this is why manning is better than brady in my opinion-- no offense...

......he is a true fan, i respect him for this, you can even see it in his play, when he downs the ball at the 1 and doesnt even try to score a 6,

its difficult to not appreciate a player such as him, i hope he can work his magic on offense, it would be crazy, if he could do something special, through another player, ha ha

Man I truly hope Peyton Does coach when He retires..but Do you guys think he will Try and coach for indy, or see him going elsewhere like His college or back down home and coaching a team there?

It sure would be nice if he came here and coached though when he is all done....

I see him doing TV, more money to be made and less stressful.

It has been my estimation that our biggest issue has been incompetence making adjustments on the fly. Clyde Christiansen has been inept.

The Colts are generally not that good at adjusting during the game. On offense, Peyton does what he does and we are fine. But I remember a stat from last year that said the Colts had given up the most 3rd quarter points out of any team in the NFL, to me that screams out no adjustments at halftime on defense.

I can see him coaching. You can tell Football is in his blood. Even when he hangs the cleats up, I don't think he'll be able to get completely away from the sport. He's going to be involved in some way.

He'll have his kids learning his audibles by age 3...

In all seriousness, I would love to see him come back as a coach (offensive coordinator?). He might take a few years off to spend time with his family, but after that, he will be itching to get back to the game. Could you imagine being a QB and having Peyton as your coach?

The Colts are generally not that good at adjusting during the game. On offense, Peyton does what he does and we are fine. But I remember a stat from last year that said the Colts had given up the most 3rd quarter points out of any team in the NFL, to me that screams out no adjustments at halftime on defense.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. Not sure what the stats say, but I have an impression that the Colts have, for the better part of the last ten years, been a terrific second half team.

If we give up an inordinate amount of points in the 3rd, I would reckon it had to do with us having a substantial lead and the opposing offense opening it up dramatically.

....I thought the Colts were terrible last year. The injuries, namely on defense, and poor play all around (Manning excluded) would explain the stats mentioned in your post.

As well, I was speaking specifically toward the absence of Tom Moore and Howard Mudd, both offensive coaches. I was speaking about offensive adjustments specifically.

What other team in the whole NFL would have the QB coach and game plan? That just goes to show how completely lacking we are in all the coaching depts. I love that Peyton will help but we shouldn't need him to. If I were the head coach or even the offensive coordinator a would feel inadequate about this. Just hire Peyton as coach this year and we'll replace him next year when he's ready to play again:)

What other team in the whole NFL would have the QB coach and game plan? That just goes to show how completely lacking we are in all the coaching depts. I love that Peyton will help but we shouldn't need him to. If I were the head coach or even the offensive coordinator a would feel inadequate about this. Just hire Peyton as coach this year and we'll replace him next year when he's ready to play again:)

Lets not start acting like Manning is going to be coaching the team, pacing the sidelines and running the show. He's only going to be providing input from his masterful knowledge of the game and the respective offensive positions that he has exerted control over while behind center.

Yes, we are severely lacking in many areas. It seems all the pride we've garnered from hearing the compliments from other teams, their fans and the media in regard to Manning's power play over the offense has turned to a sort of shame without him, aye?

What other team in the whole NFL would have the QB coach and game plan? That just goes to show how completely lacking we are in all the coaching depts. I love that Peyton will help but we shouldn't need him to.

There's truth in this ^ even though we can't say for certain how involved Manning may be from the booth/sideline.

Outsiders including fans of other teams, along with honest Colts fans have long believed there's been too much dependence on Manning. This, in no derogation to his ability as a player or his football acumen. What it does underscore is this team's identity. We live and die with Peyton Manning on-field, end of file.

Compare to Pittsburgh where you'll find a team that has for decades strived (and mostly succeeded) to be tough defensively and good at running the ball regardless of who was at QB - that's their identity. Those phases have more often than not been able to stand on their own over the years in PITT, and not been predicated on any other phase of their game, unlike the recent Colt plan for success. That's why they've had a shot with at least half a dozen different QBs since the 1970's. Coupled with that is their top-tier coaching continuity and player acquisition. PITT's formula is proven to stand the test for many years regardless of various eras and league changes that come and go. Anyone doubting the disparity between the Steelers and Colts need look no further than titles won and postseason winning percentage....not to mention head-to-head results with all the chips on the table.

We've enjoyed a great Colt era thus far with Manning. There's a big difference between an era and legacy though. We're already getting a look at what the team is like without Manning playing. As said before, the real test for Irsay and Indiana will be what does/doesn't get done to sustain winning ways beyond Manning's days and the degree of fan devotion/support going along with it. That is the difference between elite organizations and all others.

The Manning era put Indy on the map, now where from here during these transition years. To go hand-in-hand with other threads....if we are in the running for Andrew Luck, like it or not I'd fully expect the Colts to draft him because that would fit the mostly heavily weighted/QB-centered Colt M.O. over the years (e.g. Jones, Harbaugh, Manning....and even busted J. George, all in the modern era).

I promise you, Manning will be doing no coaching from the booth. Regardless of how we feel about our coaches, Manning respects them. He will concede to Christiansen and Caldwell the entire way, and simply act as a consulting set of eyes.

I doubt we will look a whole lot different this game.

Even if our offense gets touchdowns instead of field goals, that won't mean it was because of Manning. It could simply mean that the offensive line has gelled a little better, or Collins is starting to sharpen up some more, etc.

It has been my estimation that our biggest issue has been incompetence making adjustments on the fly. Clyde Christiansen has been inept.

This is not true at all. The issue in both games was lack of execution. IN the Browns game, especially, the TEs and WRs and RBs were getting open, Collins was just not throwing the ball well

I feel our biggest wound has been not only the loss of Manning's mind, but the loss of Howard Mudd and Tom Moore. Putting Peyton's eyes on the field and his voice in their ears should alleviate much of what has been lost. Manning has absorbed 2 lifetimes of experience from his former coaches, as well as an understanding of O-line fixes from Mudd.

Metz is no Howard Mudd yet, but Mudd in his third year was no Howard Mudd yet. And CC is no Moore yet, same as previous statement. But I like CC as the OC he has done an excellent job of developing a game plan and he is much better at making adjustments than Moore was.

This is the best news to come to Colts fans in a long time. Do not underestimate what this means.

So now if the Colts win it will be because of Manning, right?

This is not true at all. The issue in both games was lack of execution. IN the Browns game, especially, the TEs and WRs and RBs were getting open, Collins was just not throwing the ball well

Metz is no Howard Mudd yet, but Mudd in his third year was no Howard Mudd yet. And CC is no Moore yet, same as previous statement. But I like CC as the OC he has done an excellent job of developing a game plan and he is much better at making adjustments than Moore was.

If they win.. against the Steelers today.. how could anyone debate otherwise? Sarcasm

I'm not going to argue that a lack of execution has been a fault. This is most certainly the case. The way we "protected" Collins in Houston flew in the face of common sense. That points toward a stunning lack of adjustment.

Play-calling has been inept. The predictability factor was high. Always running on second down? The 3rd down situations have been curious to say the least. With Collins sent running for his life, I can't fault him for much of the bad execution on 3rd. We're putting guys in that are consistently getting whooped when we do have other options(namely Linkenbach being in at RT as a liability)

"Yet"? Yet?

Thats a safe assumption that they aren't comparable to coaching legends. As well, thats a huge leap of logic to overtly imply that they are well on their way (Metz & Christiansen) to being NFL coaching legends.

It certainly couldn't be discounted altogether. It is going to help morale to have our chief within earshot. It is going to help to have his mind connecting with the team. Anything positive we could add to this club would be deserving of some credit if we pull out what would be a shocker of a win.

I promise you, Manning will be doing no coaching from the booth. Regardless of how we feel about our coaches, Manning respects them. He will concede to Christiansen and Caldwell the entire way, and simply act as a consulting set of eyes.

Even if our offense gets touchdowns instead of field goals, that won't mean it was because of Manning. It could simply mean that the offensive line has gelled a little better, or Collins is starting to sharpen up some more, etc.

I agree with you 100%. Manning has integrity and would never interfere with the coaches. I hope having him there with the team will give them a boost. This team needs to figure out how to manage without Peyton. No wonder his neck is messed up, he's been carrying around too much weight!

Peyton being in the Booth is not gonna help any bit, he's not the one under center plus its not like he's gonna be in collins headset.... I hate to say it but peyton will pretty much be useless come tonight... its all on the hands of collins and the team to win this game.

I'm not going to argue that a lack of execution has been a fault. This is most certainly the case. The way we "protected" Collins in Houston flew in the face of common sense. That points toward a stunning lack of adjustment.

Except for they adjusted moved the ball well in the 21nd half.
Play-calling has been inept. The predictability factor was high. Always running on second down?
Actually last year, Manning was more predictable (almost 70% of the time running on 1st and 10 except the first play of the drive). Again you are confusing execution with play calling. Receivers are getting open, Collins is just not getting them the ball.
The 3rd down situations have been curious to say the least. With Collins sent running for his life, I can't fault him for much of the bad execution on 3rd. We're putting guys in that are consistently getting whooped when we do have other options(namely Linkenbach being in at RT as a liability)
So the blame falls on Link but that is the OC's fault? Solid logic there.
"Yet"? Yet?

Thats a safe assumption that they aren't comparable to coaching legends. As well, thats a huge leap of logic to overtly imply that they are well on their way (Metz & Christiansen) to being NFL coaching legends.

Yes, yet. I guarantee you nobody thought Mudd was a coaching legend in his 3rd year. Nobody thought Moore was a legend in his 3rd year.

It certainly couldn't be discounted altogether. It is going to help morale to have our chief within earshot. It is going to help to have his mind connecting with the team. Anything positive we could add to this club would be deserving of some credit if we pull out what would be a shocker of a win.

I think it's safe to say that if the Colts win tonight, it will not be because Manning was in the coaches booth.

I agree with you 100%. Manning has integrity and would never interfere with the coaches. I hope having him there with the team will give them a boost. This team needs to figure out how to manage without Peyton. No wonder his neck is messed up, he's been carrying around too much weight!

That's not logic.

You or I would be a better QB with Peyton Manning talking to us during the game...

..than we would be if he was not...

....which is why this was on the front page of nfl.com -

"He's such a great resource. Nobody knows this offense better than him. He's a genius on protections. He's a genius on game plans."

- Colts offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, explains why Peyton Manning will be in the coaches' booth.

Manning's presence in the booth is gonna fall somewhere between having him get extra PT reps turning his head and taking control of the team on the "what does it all mean" plot graph. That's about all we know at this point.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Oh thank you.

It has been my estimation that our biggest issue has been incompetence making adjustments on the fly. Clyde Christiansen has been inept. I feel our biggest wound has been not only the loss of Manning's mind, but the loss of Howard Mudd and Tom Moore. Putting Peyton's eyes on the field and his voice in their ears should alleviate much of what has been lost. Manning has absorbed 2 lifetimes of experience from his former coaches, as well as an understanding of O-line fixes from Mudd.

Any help we get from him will be appreciated. He's just warming up for his coaching gig with the colts when he retires lol

......and this from the nfl.com news today (excerpts) -

"It's really not any different than what he normally does," Colts coach Jim Caldwell said Saturday. "When he's playing or when he's not playing, he's always kind of analyzing and taking a look at things. I know Clyde (Christensen) has been back and forth with him, and just kind of getting a feel for things and talking with him about what he sees."

On Monday night, Manning will have his eyes trained on Curtis Painter, who's scheduled to make his first NFL start.

Clearly, Manning is too valuable not to have input, even when he's not on the field. He's the closest version in recent memory to a player-coach.

"He's been around for so long, he knows the system extremely well, and he has good insight," Caldwell said. "It's like he says, he feels that he still wants to be able to contribute and still be able to certainly help out. He's doing that."