Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im all in for a CB in the first.

MarquisJ

LOL!!!!

Hmm, Believing they have alot to prove in being starters while drafting more competition for them is completely different then saying they will be backups(which in Waldens case given his contract is illogical to assume that), What it does say is that I am not sold on the idea of them being the starters and rightfully so in my opinion

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your comfortable with Toler as our #2 and Walden starting? Im not saying we must go with those specific positions in the 1st although there are alot of very good players to be had at the top of the draft there

Personally, I'm very comfortable with Toler starting. He could be seen as a rising star. With him and Vontae, we have 2 physical man to man corners who aren't afraid to put their hands on a receiver. This is much unlike the passive, 12 yard Polian cushion CB's we all went bald pulling our hair out watching. I actually think that those two, with Butler and Vaughn as nickle and dime, comprise a very solid coverage unit. Not to say we won't draft a corner, but to say we don't necessarily need to draft a corner this year. Factor in 2 probowl caliber safeties (yes, with an upgrade at SS I think Bethea can regain his old form), and I think we could have a D backfield to fear.

Conversely however, I am not very comfortable with Walden starting. I think he was a mediocre backup in GB, and that he will be a liability for us in just about every phase of the game other than coverage. I've heard he excels at setting the edge, but honestly it seems like certain analysts are just trying to throw him a bone. From the tape of him I've reviewed, he seems to be blocked out of relevancy by whomever is on him. His only bright moments seem to have come on Clay Matthews coattails. It should be noted, however, that I believe GB played him out of position just a little bit. The Packers had some big injuries to several ILB's and seem to have compensated by mixing Walden inside a bit too. Several times he was relegated to sitting inside the tackle box as a QB spy, which really didn't work for them. I think that if Pagano has a vision as to how to use Walden effectively, he may improve as a player. With that being said, I think we could still use a definite upgrade at OLB; however, that may not come this year. We need to trust that Grigs and Pags saw a particular way to use him and give it one year of our patience. With a much improved defense, I think many of us will be ecstatic with the results. Maybe we get a DB, maybe a G, or possibly even a WR. Personally, I don't care as long as they are among the best available and NOT a reach in an attempt to fill a perceived area of need. This team just needs an infusion of more young, impact player type talent. Continue to build the monster, but don't mortgage our bright and shiny future by reaching on draftpicks...

1st Rd: OLB

3rd Rd: Guard

4th Rd: WR

6th Rd: CB

7th Rd: DE

7th Rd: RB/OG/S It can go either way.. WR at fourth because I still believe we'll get one in FA

1st  Pass rusher or Guard      3rd  Guard or WR    4th  WR or CB   

If we do go OG I would LOVE Larry Warford, Kyle Long, Barrett Jones, or even Travis Federick.

I'm totally with you there. I think they could all help us out. The problem is where to draft them. We couldn't responsibly draft them in the first, so we would need a partner to trade back into the second...

Yeah if we can get one of them in the third we would be blessed lol

I'm totally with you there. I think they could all help us out. The problem is where to draft them. We couldn't responsibly draft them in the first, so we would need a partner to trade back into the second...

This thread is about our first round selection. And in the context of this thread you said OLB and Corner are both needs. The notion that we'd be drafting depth at OLB or CB with our 1st round selection when considering the real needs we have is just plain silly.

We will just have to see what happens, we clearly disagree about OLB and Corner having potential for us to take one in the 1st, Thats not to say it will happen but I dont think Grigson has dismissed it, He likely has other priorities, who knows what he is thinking what our needs are outside of we know he wants or wanted to bring in a big time receiver, I'd be ecstatic over Frederick or Warford or Barrett Jones to but I'd ideally like to trade down for them

Perhaps...but wouldn't commonsense first call for an adequate stable of OLlinemen that can create running lanes for such a RB?

yes absolutely I really mean later in the draft where these Ridleys and Vereens seem to be lurking for the Pats but no other team for some reason.

yes absolutely I really mean later in the draft where these Ridleys and Vereens seem to be lurking for the Pats but no other team for some reason.

Vereen was taken in the 2nd and Ridley in the 3rd....plenty of teams have have found similar talent later

Several thoughts....

One,  bad cornerback play didn't lead to a worse pass rush.    We had both.     But 'A' didn't lead to 'B'....

Two,  before he was a coordinator, Pagano coached defensive backs.    If Vaughn was as bad as you think he is,  he would not be on the team.    But, as of now,  he is.

Defense is the strength of the draft....   there are lots and lots of good corners in this draft.    We don't have to spend a #1 on a corner to find a good one.

For those who want another position addressed....   we don't have to spend a #1 on a WR to find a good one.   We don't have to spend a #1 on a DE/OLB to find a good one.    We don't have to spend a #1 on a guard to find a good one.    There a good players all over this draft.

Grigson will find them.

So don't draft anyone in the first is essentially what you're saying...

So don't draft anyone in the first is essentially what you're saying...

No....

I'm trying to address the concern that so many Colts fans have over any given position.

They think the only way to solve it is to draft someone in the first round.    It's as if that's the only possible solution.

There are other rounds, and they can and will offer solutions to the Colts' problems.   Grigson proved that last year, and I believe he'll prove it again this year.

That's my point.    Hope that clarifies....

No....

I'm trying to address the concern that so many Colts fans have over any given position.

They think the only way to solve it is to draft someone in the first round.    It's as if that's the only possible solution.

There are other rounds, and they can and will offer solutions to the Colts' problems.   Grigson proved that last year, and I believe he'll prove it again this year.

I was just yanking your chain :P

After all, drafting nobody in the first round legitimately could be the best policy. I'm certainly not against trading back into the second. It wouldn't be plan A for me but I can see why Grigson would want to.

I feel like CB is our biggest need. Football is the ultimate team sport and you need good corners to give the pass rush a chance to get to the QB, that's why people think our pass rush was horrible because it was easy to find a open target with our DBs. Imagine if we got someone like Desmond Trufant. That would be the biggest position battle in camp. Just thinking about Laron Landry, Antoine Bethea, Vontae Davis, Desmond Trufant and Greg or Darius at slot! Get chills just thinking about it...

All in?

So if Dee Milliner, Desmond Trufant, Blidi Wreh-wilson, Xavier Rhodes, Dj Hayden, Johnthan Banks, and Jamar Taylor are all gone, you're still going CB?

Just checking.

I was just yanking your chain :P

After all, drafting nobody in the first round legitimately could be the best policy. I'm certainly not against trading back into the second. It wouldn't be plan A for me but I can see why Grigson would want to.

By the way....

Welcome to Colts.com....

I arrived here last May....    I think you'll really enjoy the website as I do....   

Some very nice and knowledgable fans here....    and even during the off-season,  there's plenty to talk about...

I'd love to steal Cooper at 24...    and then really get lucky with Jones or Warford in the 3rd.      Heck even Jones at 24 would be great.   Dude can play every position on the OL.     He would be a huge asset.

That is a dream scenario I know, but WOW what an OL Indy would have ....

I just want Indy to take care of our shinny new QB,   and surround him with skill position players and a STUD OL.   

Nothing "great" will happen until this team gets this OL where it needs to be.

If we do go OG I would LOVE Larry Warford, Kyle Long, Barrett Jones, or even Travis Federick.

No....

Colt fans know better than anyone the value that can be had in late rounds and or UDFA's.

Bracket, Mathis, Bethea, June, Scott, Thornton, David., Charlie J, Session, Garcon, Patty Mc, Collie, KC, Mathews, and on and on...  all 4th round or lower.     Saturday, Brock, Lilja were all FA pick ups.  

A GM has got to hit on late round picks or FA signings when the team is playing a handful of players over half it's cap.    And want to remain competitive.  Indy will soon be in that boat again.

We will all find out when Indy has to start paying Andrew Luck "real QB money" ...   whether or not Grigs has the "chops" to lead a WINNER.  In the near future Indy will once again be a "TOP" heavy team money wise.    Polian kept it going for over a decade.     It's not easy.

I'd love to steal Cooper at 24...    and then really get lucky with Jones or Warford in the 3rd.      Heck even Jones at 24 would be great.   Dude can play every position on the OL.     He would be a huge asset.

That is a dream scenario I know, but WOW what an OL Indy would have ....

I just want Indy to take care of our shinny new QB,   and surround him with skill position players and a STUD OL.   

Nothing "great" will happen until this team gets this OL where it needs to be.

Not sure what the point would be drafting Warford after selecting Cooper in the first

It would be the best OL in the AFC.     a team never has enough "good" offensive linemen. 

And perhaps not Warford in the 3rd, but if Jones is there....    DO IT.   

Not sure what the point would be drafting Warford after selecting Cooper in the first

It would be the best OL in the AFC.     a team never has enough "good" offensive linemen. 

And perhaps not Warford in the 3rd, but if Jones is there....    DO IT.   

Just wondering why you put the quote you're responding to, after you respond. I read your answers first, and have no idea what you're responding to, unless I remember that you like to do it that way. Kind of confusing. Not a huge deal, but....

They both apply... 

and I bet QBoy had to look up both definitions....    

LOL.. 

Go Colts

Nope I'm actually quite intelligent, thank you very much. You could say that I have an ambidextrous brain. :yes:

With the DHB signing, Im more in support of also taking a CB with our 1st pick, as long as its Rhodes or Trufant. I dont want Banks.

The best case scenario for the Colts though is if either Warmack or Cooper fall to us at OG to make this OL much more stout. If they are gone, I want Trufant.