Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Era vs Manning Era

Dark Superman

How did Peyton help Luck shape his game? The two were never on the same field together as far as I know and Luck plays a completely different style given his athleticism. And I believe Archie (Peyton's dad) said his son and Luck could not co-exist so together so I will have to disagree on this point.

In terms of your second point, I would imagine most fans here would rather have the rings than a great leader or spokesman. In the end, greatness is determined by the hardware and it is what every team and every player strives for. If Luck does win more than one SB his era will be considered more successful. All the other stuff is just window dressing.

In terms of Peyton paving for the way for college players? Exactly how has he done this? If anything, the running QBs like Cunningham, Vick, McNair have paved the way for the more untraditional style QBs like RG, Kaep, Wilson, etc. Peyton and the scores of other QBs before him are the traditional drop by guys. Colleges have not been cpying that the last 10-15 years, it was already there.

I don't even remember what we are taking about anymore. My head hurts...

That help? ;)

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't be more wrong on everything you just said. My guess is, that when Luck continue's to prove you wrong this yr. you'll disappear. It's easy to show up and say you told everybody so about RG3 winning ROTY after the fact, especially since everybody and their brother knew he had rookie of the yr. wrapped up before he ever ran a play last season. The media went on a full out RG3 love affair before the season started.

I think you have proven my point. Both Wilson and RGIII had better seasons than Luck last year. Indy fans refuse to acknowledge that. It had nothing to with the media. RGIII is a star right now. Luck, well, perhaps if he can up that completion percentage and if his QB rating goes from the next to worse in the NFL to being in the top five. I don't see either of those things happening. Everyone outside of Indianapolis had a love affair with RGIII last year because the kid is one heckuva player.... Luck? It still remains to be seen. By the way, I am betting that Cam Newton will have a better year than Luck this coming year and his team isn't nearly as good as the Colts. But, he is a much better QB.... A little down last year but that wasn't all his fault. I expect to really break out this year. If they have a sophomore of the year award, I think Wilson would win that over Luck and RGIII but I wouldn't be surprised to see RGIII do it again. I will be shocked beyond compare if Luck were to do that...... He is what he is and that is far from being great....

Lol you can't be serious.  Luck has played 1 year and you compare him to Manning in reading ability?  Did Luck's league-leading interception total help you come to that conclusion?

I personally think that is the weakest part of Luck's game. In this area, he can't carry Manning's jock....

I think you have proven my point. Both Wilson and RGIII had better seasons than Luck last year. Indy fans refuse to acknowledge that. It had nothing to with the media. RGIII is a star right now. Luck, well, perhaps if he can up that completion percentage and if his QB rating goes from the next to worse in the NFL to being in the top five. I don't see either of those things happening. Everyone outside of Indianapolis had a love affair with RGIII last year because the kid is one heckuva player.... Luck? It still remains to be seen. By the way, I am betting that Cam Newton will have a better year than Luck this coming year and his team isn't nearly as good as the Colts. But, he is a much better QB.... A little down last year but that wasn't all his fault. I expect to really break out this year. If they have a sophomore of the year award, I think Wilson would win that over Luck and RGIII but I wouldn't be surprised to see RGIII do it again. I will be shocked beyond compare if Luck were to do that...... He is what he is and that is far from being great....

You sound completely foolish. Keep talking though, we're all laughing at you.

You sound completely foolish. Keep talking though, we're all laughing at you.

lol He's still butthurt over the Peyton thing. Look at his Bio:

"Look at the way NE treated Brady (signing him up for life) as opposed to Peyton Manning. Class and third class."

:lol: 

Feel free. Do you want to bet about Wilson or RGIII being an MVP long before Luck does?

Really, how do want to bet? How do you define "long before Luck does"? 5 yrs.? 10 yrs.? Keep dreaming my man. You'll disappear when Luck outplays either of those guys and I would guarantee that, so I'm not gonna waste my time. If you're still here this time next yr., then we can revisit this topic, but like I already said, you'll be gone because you won't be able to admit how wrong you were.

I actually have this down to three categories. Before the season, we all know how hyped up ad nauseam 12 was. Then, during the season, Griffin was the center of attention. Post season goes to Wilson, who a lot seemed to think was probably going to the Super Bowl. I too can see Cam having another great year this season. Playoffs? Hmmm lol

You couldn't be more wrong on everything you just said. My guess is, that when Luck continue's to prove you wrong this yr. you'll disappear. It's easy to show up and say you told everybody so about RG3 winning ROTY after the fact, especially since everybody and their brother knew he had rookie of the yr. wrapped up before he ever ran a play last season. The media went on a full out RG3 love affair before the season started.

RG3 still had to put up the numbers regardless of the media's love for him.   And they were just plain better than Luck's.

RG3 still had to put up the numbers regardless of the media's love for him.   

I'm not saying RG3 didn't have a good yr., but people are crazy if they think it's going to continue to be that easy for him. He had one of the best run blocking line's in football and an equally(if not more so) impressive rookie RB that took a huge amount of pressure off him. He will have to change his game and defense's are going to be better prepared for him this season when he gets back from injury. I'm tired of certain posters that only come here to disparage Luck with any silly reason under the sun they can come up with. If they like RG3 or Wilson more...fine, I don't care, but stop with the dumb remarks about Luck(not talking about you BTW).

I'm not saying RG3 didn't have a good yr., but people are crazy if they think it's going to continue to be that easy for him. He had one of the best run blocking line's in football and an equally(if not more so) impressive rookie RB that took a huge amount of pressure off him. He will have to change his game and defense's are going to be better prepared for him this season when he gets back from injury. I'm tired of certain posters that only come here to disparage Luck with any silly reason under the sun they can come up with. If they like RG3 or Wilson more...fine, I don't care, but stop with the dumb remarks about Luck(not talking about you BTW).

Word

You lost me on this one. I get that you think RG will be better and he might be but Luck won more games than him so I am not sure how RG is a star and Luck isn't. You did agree at least I think you did in a previous post that RG had the better team than Luck so I don't understand why RG is the star and Luck isn't. Luck was asked to throw twice as many passes as RG and Wilson and did not have the run game to help him. I get you on the eye test and all as some of Luck's throws were plain awful but throughout the entire of game of most games he made more good to great plays than poor ones. That is just the way I saw it. I mean you don't get to 11 wins by all luck, sunshine, and rainbows.

You lost me on this one. I get that you think RG will be better and he might be but Luck won more games than him so I am not sure how RG is a star and Luck isn't. You did agree at least I think you did in a previous post that RG had the better team than Luck so I don't understand why RG is the star and Luck isn't. Luck was asked to throw twice as many passes as RG and Wilson and did not have the run game to help him. I get you on the eye test and all as some of Luck's throws were plain awful but throughout the entire of game of most games he made more good to great plays than poor ones. That is just the way I saw it. I mean you don't get to 11 wins by all luck, sunshine, and rainbows.

A lot of the throws we saw Griff and Wilson throw were fantastic as well. Winning more games than someone doesn't make me think that that one player is more "starworthy" since all three made the playoffs anyway. Besides, football is a team sport and all these people crying about how worse off 12 is seem to be of the mindset that he did everything himself. Reminds me of another athlete who seems to get the same treatment...Not taking anything away from 12 but it has been apparent all year who has played better, tools around them or not.

It's pretty apparent that there are a few posters here that will never be able to admit how good Luck was last yr. with the terrible team he had around him for the most part. One of the worst O-lines ever assembled, no running game what so ever, asked to throw the ball 40 times a game, and a pretty bad defense and somehow he led them to 11 wins. Far more impressive than anything the other rookie QB's done. I really like Wilson and think he's better than RG3, I think he's going to have a really good career, but people just fell in love with RG3's athleticism and that is the major reason for all the love surrounding him. 

Lol do you know how many people are on the Texans site? It's madness and getting through posts there is ridiculous. I love my red and blue lol but this site is very user friendly and, believe it or not, I like the sensible people around here. Only two or three guys here that I, for some strange reason, just simply can't get along with lol. :)

As far as being immune to those who disagree, blatantly attacking a guy and calling him a troll isn't the right solution to dealing with different opinions.

I am sure a good offensive line will help but it will take a while to put one together. I think those are the hardest positions to draft for or sign free agents for. I don't think Luck is a bust. I don't think he is as good as Wilson and RGIII and I don't think he ever will be. I will be delighted to be proven wrong. I was with the crowd that thought 2-4 wins was where we would end up last year. I was sure wrong about that. I don't mind being wrong when it means the team is doing well...

You're not a troll QuizBoy. You are bright, funny, very perceptive, & a valuable contributor to this site & I, for one, am glad to have you here. Constructive criticism on my team I like & yes I want you to be truthful & you are. In fact, I want people from the Pats, Texans, & and any fan outside INDY to evaluate my Colts. Why? Fresh eyes & a fresh perspective. 

Sorry OlBlu if I misinterpreted what you said. I want everyone to feel comfortable expressing their thoughts here without fear or retaliation. Yes, I will admit that sometimes fans want to believe that a great NFL rookie season by Luck is emblematic of even greater success to come & it is smart to remain cautiously optimistic. Perhaps that is what you are saying OlBlu...You like what you see so far, but you need to see more before you believe Luck will be a suitable successor to Peyton Manning. I just thought that you believed that a quality offensive line didn't matter. I was surprised by that belief. That's all I was responding to. If I was wrong in my assessment of your intent, I apologize olblu.

I think that is EXACTLY how the Colts got to 11 wins and I don't think they will come close to that in the near future. Yes, he made great plays but the QB rating says he was the 31st best QB in the NFL. RGIII's better team doesn't make that much difference. Yes, I think Luck was poorly coached and he took a lot of physical punishment because of it but he is never going to get rid of the ball quickly and I don't think he will ever be a 60% passer much less a 70% one. I am just not sold on the guy and I was not sold before he was even drafted and before we all knew that Peyton was gone...... Time will tell but I will be on my opinion, thank you....

You're not a troll QuizBoy. You are bright, funny, very perceptive, & a valuable contributor to this site & I, for one, am glad to have you here. Constructive criticism on my team I like & yes I want you to be truthful & you are. In fact, I want people from the Pats, Texans, & and an fan outside INDY to evaluate my Colts. Why? Fresh eyes & a fresh perspective. 

Sorry OlBlu if I misinterpreted what you said. I want everyone to feel comfortable expressing their thoughts here without fear or retaliation. Yes, I will admit that sometimes fans want to believe that a great NFL rookie season by Luck is emblematic of even greater success to come & it is to remain cautiously optimistic. Perhaps that is what you are saying OlBlu...You like what you see so far, but you need to see more before you believe Luck will be a suitable successor to Peyton Manning. I just thought that you believed that a quality offensive line didn't matter. I was surprised by that belief. That's all I was responding to. If I was wrong, I apologize olblu.

Yep...always good to have another set of eyes. Keeps the circle going without things getting redundant.

I think you have proven my point. Both Wilson and RGIII had better seasons than Luck last year. Indy fans refuse to acknowledge that...

And I believe that a lot of folks conveniently forget to acknowledge the fact that Luck quarterbacked a team to an 11-5 record that had gone 2-14 the year before, had a rookie GM, a rookie head coach, an interim head-coach for most of the year, no offensive line to speak of, and over thirty players that were not on the Colts roster from the year before. This team was as about as close as you could get to being an expansion franchise without actually being an expansion franchise and they went 11-5 with Luck at QB.

You could argue that RGIII, or Wilson, would have had the same success. But that is nothing but the "Coulda, shoulda, woulda" game, which is always fruitless, pointless and never provable. The fact remains, is that Luck did have that kind of success with the chips stacked against him. I can't wait to see what this kid is going to do with a better supporting cast around him and more long-term stability with the coaching staff.

You're not a troll QuizBoy. You are bright, funny, very perceptive, & a valuable contributor to this site & I, for one, am glad to have you here. Constructive criticism on my team I like & yes I want you to be truthful & you are. In fact, I want people from the Pats, Texans, & and an fan outside INDY to evaluate my Colts. Why? Fresh eyes & a fresh perspective. 

Sorry OlBlu if I misinterpreted what you said. I want everyone to feel comfortable expressing their thoughts here without fear or retaliation. Yes, I will admit that sometimes fans want to believe that a great NFL rookie season by Luck is emblematic of even greater success to come & it is to remain cautiously optimistic. Perhaps that is what you are saying OlBlu...You like what you see so far, but you need to see more before you believe Luck will be a suitable successor to Peyton Manning. I just thought that you believed that a quality offensive line didn't matter. I was surprised by that belief. That's all I was responding to. If I was wrong, I apologize olblu.

No need to to apologize but I do not like what I see so far. I will be optimistic that line improvements and a better offense scheme that allows him to get rid of the ball quicker may help. I am not convinced that it will but I will join you in hoping for the best...

I think that is EXACTLY how the Colts got to 11 wins and I don't think they will come close to that in the near future. Yes, he made great plays but the QB rating says he was the 31st best QB in the NFL. RGIII's better team doesn't make that much difference. Yes, I think Luck was poorly coached and he took a lot of physical punishment because of it but he is never going to get rid of the ball quickly and I don't think he will ever be a 60% passer much less a 70% one. I am just not sold on the guy and I was not sold before he was even drafted and before we all knew that Peyton was gone...... Time will tell but I will be on my opinion, thank you....

I don't think he'll ever be a 70% passer ever either because that would be the 6th highest percentage in league history

RG3 had a great year and with all the talents that surrounds him just makes him even better, the only thing here is that Kirk Cousins the backup of RG3 also had some great games that pushed the team forward. Andrew Luck has to win the game by himself without a good running back that RG3 had, if Andrew Luck had a great team like RG3 had he could of performed much better.  Russel Wilson also had a great year but his team is even better than the team RG3 had, so I think for right now, Andrew Luck should not be compared to these two guys.

It's pretty apparent that there are a few posters here that will never be able to admit how good Luck was last yr. with the terrible team he had around him for the most part. One of the worst O-lines ever assembled, no running game what so ever, asked to throw the ball 40 times a game, and a pretty bad defense and somehow he led them to 11 wins. Far more impressive than anything the other rookie QB's done. I really like Wilson and think he's better than RG3, I think he's going to have a really good career, but people just fell in love with RG3's athleticism and that is the major reason for all the love surrounding him. 

I look at it a bit differently. I agree with all of the things you said except for the part about posters never being able to admit how good Luck was last year. I think there a lot of posters who greatly overrate him and don't realize how bad he actually was.

There's also a few posters on here that love to bash every part of our team so that Luck gets too much credit.   Apparently we only have Luck, Wayne, McAfee and the rest are scrubs.

RG3 had a great year and with all the talents that surrounds him just makes him even better, the only thing here is that Kirk Cousins the backup of RG3 also had some great games that pushed the team forward. Andrew Luck has to win the game by himself without a good running back that RG3 had, if Andrew Luck had a great team like RG3 had he could of performed much better.  Russel Wilson also had a great year but his team is even better than the team RG3 had, so I think for right now, Andrew Luck should not be compared to these two guys.

Then you apparently think that the Redskins would trade RGIII for Luck immediately? Let me help you with that wouldn't. Seattle wouldn't trade Wilson for him and Miami would not trade Tannehill for him either. Maybe Carolina would trade Cam Newton for him. No way...... But I agree with you that Luck should not be compared to those two guys because he comes up way short....

There's also a few posters on here that love to bash every part of our team so that Luck gets too much credit.   Apparently we only have Luck, Wayne, McAfee and the rest are scrubs.

Basically yeah. I guess that Allen was pretty good.

I don't think he'll ever be a 70% passer ever either because that would be the 6th highest percentage in league history

I agree with you and I also think he will struggle to ever get to 60% behind any offensive line....

I look at it a bit differently. I agree with all of the things you said except for the part about posters never being able to admit how good Luck was last year. I think there a lot of posters who greatly overrate him and don't realize how bad he actually was.

If this is a team sport (as we have said for many years regarding Manning), then doesn't Luck get the same pass at times considering the circumstances he was brought into on both sides of the ball? He not only was brought in to replace a legend with a split fanbase but asked to help carry a weakened team with his head coach becoming seriously ill in a surprise during our bye week.

Do you think at all that Andrew Luck performed admirably and in sometimes gutsy fashion as a rookie on a rebuilding squad, especially in the clutch? Stats sometimes be darned.......sorry but they are not the be all and end all.

Last year proved to me that Luck was loaded with intangibles and he is a winner. I think he has nowhere to go but up from a statistical standpoint.

I look forward to seeing his progression and yes indeed I do expect his game to go UP. He will still have bumps in the road but they all will. No QB is immune from interceptions and mistakes, especially a young one.

You forgot Hilton.

A lot of the throws we saw Griff and Wilson throw were fantastic as well. Winning more games than someone doesn't make me think that that one player is more "starworthy" since all three made the playoffs anyway. Besides, football is a team sport and all these people crying about how worse off 12 is seem to be of the mindset that he did everything himself. Reminds me of another athlete who seems to get the same treatment...Not taking anything away from 12 but it has been apparent all year who has played better, tools around them or not.

I would tend to agree with you except in this case it is true about luck. He walked onto a team that was blown up in the off-season with a new gm, new coaches and rookies everywhere. His team had won 2 games the year before and was dead last in the league. He also had the Peyton saga over his head and a fanbase that was stll smarting from Manning's release. It is not hyperbole to say he played on a far inferior team. I mean check the stats. Morris was second in yardage only to AP and Wilson had a D that held Rodgers, Brady and Kaep in check. Luck was asked to do more, way more than the other two. I thing RG and Wilson are pretty darn good two but Luck walked into a tornado and in the end he brought his team to Oz. Single best rookie season I have ever seen when you factor in everything surrounding him from the time he was drafted AND his 11 wins.

Sorry, but anybody with any football sense at all could see that Luck didn't have a bad yr. at all. He had worse games than others and there were a multitude of reasons for that. Some of it was his fault, I've never tried to pass him off as being perfect last season, but some of the criticism he's gotten from a few here is pure nonsense and because they don't know football. When all the variable's are factored into his stats from last season, he by far exceeded the other 2 rookie QB's. People only look at the final stat sheet though and make a determination off of that. 

Basically yeah. I guess that Allen was pretty good.

Now please note that I have only been critical of Luck. I think the Colts made some great choices in the draft last year. I too think Allen is pretty good or maybe more than that......

I would tend to agree with you except in this case it is true about luck. He walked onto a team that was blown up in the off-season with a new gm, new coaches and rookies everywhere. His team had won 2 games the year before and was dead last in the league. He also had the Peyton saga over his head and a fanbase that was stll smarting from Manning's release. It is not hyperbole to say he played on a far inferior team. I mean check the stats. Morris was second in yardage only to AP and Wilson had a D that held Rodgers, Brady and Kaep in check. Luck was asked to do more, way more than the other two. I thing RG and Wilson are pretty darn good two but Luck walked into a tornado and in the end he brought his team to Oz. Single best rookie season I have ever seen when you factor in everything surrounding him from the time he was drafted AND his 11 wins.

Lol AM we've had this discussion before about Morris. Lynch is self-explanatory of course. Neither the Colts, Redskins, nor Seahawks were playoff teams the season before they drafted their three signal-callers. Heck, the Redskins were considered mediocre bottom-feeders, but the Seahawks were on the rise already

Sorry, but anybody with any football sense at all could see that Luck didn't have a bad yr. at all. He had worse games than others and there were a multitude of reasons for that. Some of it was his fault, I've never tried to pass him off as being perfect last season, but some of the criticism he's gotten from a few here is pure nonsense and because they don't know football. When all the variable's are factored into his stats from last season, he by far exceeded the other 2 rookie QB's. People only look at the final stat sheet though and make a determination off of that. 

Luck didn't exceed the other two rookie QBs in any way and you are just making excuses for Luck. He leads the NFL in excuses!!