Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When Do We Stop With The Excuses?

turner46992

I have seen plenty of times from forum to forum about how we keep losing to Poor D and because Kerry isnt use to receivers or playbook yet. Well I understand the Defense and Also Collins as well, but when do the excuses for collins become point less. Like, lets say its week 6 and we still havent won a single game. Do we still use the excuse that he is out of sync still with receivers or he still hasnt got the hang of the offense..Because last week they ran a few no-huddles and it looked like he was getting a better grasp of things, but still needs some fine tuning.

Obviously to me, the only way our D will get better is if we work on our DB's and change or scheme. I dont see either one happening this year or possibly even next year.

As far as offense goes, excuses can only carry us for so long..There is still hope left in the tank but my excuses are running slim..I mean if we end up being 0-16....All I can say is its for Luck lol

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was a 8-8 or 9-7 team at best with a Healthy Peyton, without you are looking 1 or 2 or maybe 3 wins. The excuse is we are just not that good. We have been good to great for how long? At somepoint that goes away and yo have to rebuild.

Yea I know it, I mean i knew the time after peyton we would not have a winning season for a while. I just like the one record the colts hold(and would hope to continue) and thats being the only team I believe to make the playoffs 9 or 10 consecutive years...I mean that is one heck of a accomplishment and would love to see it keep going, unfortunately it appears it might just end this season!

Yea I know it, I mean i knew the time after peyton we would not have a winning season for a while. I just like the one record the colts hold(and would hope to continue) and thats being the only team I believe to make the playoffs 9 or 10 consecutive years...I mean that is one heck of a accomplishment and would love to see it keep going, unfortunately it appears it might just end this season!

I look on this season as a positive, I might actually get to see a game live at Lucas. Before tix were either not available or to pricey, not this season.

I have seen plenty of times from forum to forum about how we keep losing to Poor D and because Kerry isnt use to receivers or playbook yet. Well I understand the Defense and Also Collins as well, but when do the excuses for collins become point less. Like, lets say its week 6 and we still havent won a single game. Do we still use the excuse that he is out of sync still with receivers or he still hasnt got the hang of the offense..Because last week they ran a few no-huddles and it looked like he was getting a better grasp of things, but still needs some fine tuning.

Obviously to me, the only way our D will get better is if we work on our DB's and change or scheme. I dont see either one happening this year or possibly even next year.

As far as offense goes, excuses can only carry us for so long..There is still hope left in the tank but my excuses are running slim..I mean if we end up being 0-16....All I can say is its for Luck lol

Well, if for how long people have been making excuses for the defense here is any indication, then my guess is, it will never stop!

this was a 8-8 or 9-7 team at best with a Healthy Peyton, without you are looking 1 or 2 or maybe 3 wins. The excuse is we are just not that good. We have been good to great for how long? At somepoint that goes away and yo have to rebuild.

In your very strange opinion. This is largely the same squad that went to the Super Bowl before being decimated by injuries last year. Actually I like this roster better. I would have expected them to get at least 12 wins this year and make another run at the Championship.

Are you telling me that you don't think they could be 2-0 this year with Peyton?

The Colts had the ball on the Houston 42 on their first drive but came away with nothing thanks to Collins. Collins than handed Houston two TDs with fumbles. At 17-0 early in the second quarter with Collins at QB - the game was over. Not much after that is really relevant. It would have been more like 3-3 at the worst at that point with Peyton under center, and based on all these years of watching this team I would fully expect them to win. The only wild-card is the special teams which keeps putting the Colts in harms way.

The Browns game isn't even a question. The Colts would have been up by a substantial amount at the start of the fourth just by virtue of Peyton excelling in the red zone. The Colts scored on a ridiculous % of their red zone possessions last year despite the injuries. Instead of collapsing in the 4th qtr Peyton would have put them away. I have no doubt in my mind that the game wouldn't have even been close.

With Peyton all we would be talking about now is how we seem to be hitting Pittsburg at a vulnerable time on our way to another dominant season.

8-8 is most likely the WORST we would have been with Peyton. Not that there isn't plenty of room for improvement in many areas, but he has a positive effect on multiple facets of the game including the defense.

when do the excuses for collins become point less. Like, lets say its week 6 and we still havent won a single game. Do we still use the excuse that he is out of sync still with receivers or he still hasnt got the hang of the offense..

How long did it take Peyton to get in sync in 2008 after missing training camp? Collins needs a couple of games more than that. It's not an "excuse", it's the reality.

Never the less, I'm not impressed with him. Then again I've never been impressed with him. You still have to stick with the vet at this point. Once it's clear that either Peyton isn't coming back or that we have no chance of making the playoffs (pretty much the same thing), then you sit him and see what Painter can do. If he is horrible than we get a higher draft pick. If he excels, that's even better.

I agree with MAC. and think of it this way (because it's one of the few ways to put a truly positive spin on the whole season), we'll be in a situation that really I'm not sure any team has ever been in. Last year, even with the injuries we still pulled out 10 wins and won the division. This year, the heart of the team goes down, other deficiencies get exposed and we wind up going from first to worst. Odds are very good we pick in the top 5 in next year's draft. We haven't drafted that high in how long? We have all kinds of options from staying put and taking some great players, or taking a page from the patriots book and trading down a little bit and acquiring extra picks. I'm hoping we can snag Cleveland's 2 first round picks for our 1 and maybe even get more on top of that depending on where each pick is at.

So, you take a team that still mustered 10 wins with half the starters on IR, bring those injured guys back, get another year's experience under their belt and add what could potentially be our best draft in years (because we'll be picking at the top of the rounds instead of the bottom) and put all that together and we go right back to the elite next year.

For those who choose to not look at it this way, that's you're right. That being said, for you this will be a very long and painful season.

The excuse is that we don't have Peyton. It's not really an excuse either, it's just a fact. Without Peyton we're below average as an overall team. With Peyton, we become a good team that is sometimes great. Peyton instills confidence, gets the most out of his weapons, makes plays when the game is on the line, and keeps the defense off the field. And for those that think the season is lost, it's not. We can still make the playoffs. If Peyton comes back for the Patriots game, then we just have to win 5 out of the 11 games without him. There were six games that were winnable without Peyton. CLE, KC, CIN, JAC, TEN, AND CAR. We lost the CLE game but we can still win the others. Those teams aren't way better than us, so we can win them. With Peyton we could win the last 5 games in a row, and with the other 5 we won without him, we'll go to the playoffs at 10-6. Even if we go 0-4, then we still have a shot at making the playoffs because we only played one winnable game during that time frame.

I really believe Luck is not in our future, but another playoff berth and a chance to host our own superbowl. The season is still early, and Peyton will return in time.

Agreed, we need to stop with the excuses, while we are use to winning and not loosing, we're stuck with what we have this year. I don't like how we are starting the year, especially on offense. I know people are all over Collins saying we need to get cut him. While i agree to a point, he's only been in this offense for like 3-4 weeks. This offense is Peyton's offense. So it's going to take time. Now if we get to week 9-10 and Collins hasn't improved, I say we put Painter in there and see what he can do! But i do agree the excuses must stop and the blame be put where it goes (coaches, front office, etc). That's my spill for the day! :)

With healthy Peyton 8-8? 9-7?

do you live under a rock?

we have been SB contenders every single year for the last decade. We would have been 10-6 or 12-4 with him this year. Like we are every year.

One or two wins? You are more optimistic than myself. I do not see this team beating anyone. Yes I am a Colts fan and have been one since the late 1950's, but I do not recall seeing a Colts team so bad in every aspect of their game. Maybe they can beat KC but I would not bet on it.

I am so with you Nate. Peyton is done for year and kerry just ain't gonna cut it for us here in Indy Garrard could definitely win us some games and at least we could have ticking running game all in one guy

again with relying on the QB to win games talk. This is what I mean. Fans need to stop talking about the QB's. You sound dumb.

IT TAKES A TEAM TO WIN GAMES!!! MOSTLY DEFENSE!!!

I am so with you Nate. Peyton is done for year and kerry just ain't gonna cut it for us here in Indy Garrard could definitely win us some games and at least we could have ticking running game all in one guy

Gerrard is a QB most had no respect for while with JAX.

He had less than a year of pretty good productivity.

His team thought so much of him that they drafted a QB high.

That same team decided he couldn't run their simplified offense smoothly, and cut him in favor of a journeyman, and a rookie.

And you expect him to run Peyton's offense and be effective with it, to the point of winning, this year?

Are you planning a change to the Wildcat?

Sometimes excuses aren't excuses they are the reason why something isn't working. I know people might not like hearing that but it's the truth.

Also as long as the team isn't making excuses who cares what the fans have to say about it and frankly if you hear anyone who works for the Colts talk the first thing they say is that they have to get better and that they are not doing very well right now. So the last thing I would say is that they are making excuses.

listen peyton wont be back this yr. the year is over cut collins and sign garrad and i see us having a shot

Really so you know something that no one else knows for a fact including the people running the Colts franchise and including Peyton and his own father? Do the odds look good Peyton will be back? No. Is it a fact, no if it was he would be on IR he isn't so clearly there is a chance, no matter how small that he could be back.

So sign a guy who is going to be a month behind the guy that is strugglng partily because he doesn't have enough time in the system is going to fix the problem hunh? Not buying that. Frankly IF we make a QB switch it's going to be to Painter and I only seeing that happening once the Colts are out of the playoff race unless Collins gets hurt. If we are out of the playoff race and Manning isn't healthy there is no reason not to play Painter. Playing the vet makes sense if he can get you to the playoff but odds are Collins is gone at years end so you might as well see what we have in Painter and see if he is a true back up in the NFL or if the Colts need to address it. I think I already know the answer to that but if we are offically out of the playoff why not?

Also Garrad just isn't that good. In case you hadn't noticed it's not like other teams are falling over themselves to sign him. He got beat out for a job by Luke McCown of all people. Just because he was once a starter doesn't mean he would be that great and frankly what he does well is nothing that we would ask a QB to do in our system and they aren't going to change the offense that much for a QB at this point in the season. He would have to learn ours and frankly he's not that great of a fit for it which is probably why we haven't signed him.

So sign a guy who is going to be a month behind the guy that is strugglng partily because he doesn't have enough time in the system is going to fix the problem hunh? Not buying that. Frankly IF we make a QB switch it's going to be to Painter and I only seeing that happening once the Colts are out of the playoff race unless Collins gets hurt. If we are out of the playoff race and Manning isn't healthy there is no reason not to play Painter. Playing the vet makes sense if he can get you to the playoff but odds are Collins is gone at years end so you might as well see what we have in Painter and see if he is a true back up in the NFL or if the Colts need to address it. I think I already know the answer to that but if we are offically out of the playoff why not?

Also Garrad just isn't that good. In case you hadn't noticed it's not like other teams are falling over themselves to sign him. He got beat out for a job by Luke McCown of all people. Just because he was once a starter doesn't mean he would be that great and frankly what he does well is nothing that we would ask a QB to do in our system and they aren't going to change the offense that much for a QB at this point in the season. He would have to learn ours and frankly he's not that great of a fit for it which is probably why we haven't signed him.

Great post! And I agree about Garrard and just don't see the reasoning of those who think he's an option at all for us.

I think Mac had a pretty good point and GoColts8818. I dont make these excuses but I have found myself fallowing them, and its something I dont normally do, but this is also my first season seeing the colts in a bad spot...I been fan forever, but when peyton got drafted I was only 9 so his rookie season isnt something I really remember much...all i remember is the colts were winners and have been, and ever since I can remember analyst were writing this team for dead, but fans would make "excuses" as to why this season we still have some fight in us. I dont need these excuses to believe in my team, although I have bought into them for some reason. Thats why I made this post...when do the excuses stop or not really become and excuses...as some have mentioned they arent excuses they are the truth...and I like that better then the word "excuses"

we've played 2 games......I cant predict the future...we re 10-6 last year

In your very strange opinion. This is largely the same squad that went to the Super Bowl before being decimated by injuries last year. Actually I like this roster better. I would have expected them to get at least 12 wins this year and make another run at the Championship.

Are you telling me that you don't think they could be 2-0 this year with Peyton?

The Colts had the ball on the Houston 42 on their first drive but came away with nothing thanks to Collins. Collins than handed Houston two TDs with fumbles. At 17-0 early in the second quarter with Collins at QB - the game was over. Not much after that is really relevant. It would have been more like 3-3 at the worst at that point with Peyton under center, and based on all these years of watching this team I would fully expect them to win. The only wild-card is the special teams which keeps putting the Colts in harms way.

The Browns game isn't even a question. The Colts would have been up by a substantial amount at the start of the fourth just by virtue of Peyton excelling in the red zone. The Colts scored on a ridiculous % of their red zone possessions last year despite the injuries. Instead of collapsing in the 4th qtr Peyton would have put them away. I have no doubt in my mind that the game wouldn't have even been close.

With Peyton all we would be talking about now is how we seem to be hitting Pittsburg at a vulnerable time on our way to another dominant season.

With a 100% healthy Peyton I had them at 1-1 at this point, this is just not a very good team. WAY to many issues on teh offensive line and the defense is the same ole. We have an extremely tough schedule. Again if everything went right I only saw us winning 9 games.

listen peyton wont be back this yr. the year is over cut collins and sign garrad and i see us having a shot

Adding Garrad might add 1 win maybe 2, at this point I sign him as a the starter for next year should Peyton never play again, draft a QB in the draft and let him learn behind Garrad next year.

With healthy Peyton 8-8? 9-7?

do you live under a rock?

we have been SB contenders every single year for the last decade. We would have been 10-6 or 12-4 with him this year. Like we are every year.

No chance. We would have lost at Houston with him (like we did last year) we would have other losses from:

Pitts

NE

Baltimore

Atlanta

NO

Either Jax or TN at thier place

that is 7 losses right there.

Really so you know something that no one else knows for a fact including the people running the Colts franchise and including Peyton and his own father? Do the odds look good Peyton will be back? No. Is it a fact, no if it was he would be on IR he isn't so clearly there is a chance, no matter how small that he could be back.

Actually reports are a number of teams have contacted him but he has said no to them, he wants to pick where he goes and he can start.

I think we were a 10-11 win team with Peyton, But i do agree with you in saying its time to rebuild, starting with defense.

excellent words mac. you tell em.

Anyone who went into this season without thinking there were going to be growing pains with our offensive line and defense were just fooling themselves. There were going to be growing pains, but with Peyton most of those growing pains can be overcome. Week 1 would probably still have been a loss but it would have been a much closer game. Week 2, the offensive line already showed significant improvement from week 1. Our QB still however was unable to find his rhythm so the running game we had established in the first half began to fizzle out and Collins struggled even more than he did in the first half. With Peyton, the QB struggles would not have been there and that game is won easily. The way Carter and Addai were running in the first half, with Peyton at QB I think combined they could have rushed for 150-200 yards. It didn't take the browns long to figure out Collins still had no rhythm going so to shut him down even more they needed to focus more on stopping the run...which they did and the running game is not nearly as effective.

Those of you who are refusing to accept there have been improvements in the OL and the defensive front 7 from week 1 to week 2 are simply too grumpy to see anything beyond the 0-2 record. Yes, it was the Browns but there was improvement none the less.

My predictions:

by the end of the season:

all of the doom and gloom fans are back on board talking about how we have the best offensive line we've had in the past 5 or so years

all of the doom and gloom fans will be talking about how much our defense has improved and is better than any we had under Dungy with the possible exception of the SB year

Larry Coyer will be fired...I know a lot of people get sick of hearing "these are definitely problems but they are correctable" and I can understand that. However much you hate hearing it though it's the truth. The key right now is to see if Coyer can fix the problems that he and the coaching staff are responsible for. I predict that he won't and he'll be fired.

Carter and Addai both finish the season averaging over 4.5 yards per carry and I wouldn't be surprised if Carter is closer to 5 ypc

I do think we will win 4-6 games, but they will all come at the end of the season. Collins will continue to be the starter through the bye week and we are, at best, 2-8 with wins possibly coming against KC and Jax at home. Painter comes out of the bye week and starts the rest of the season going 3-3 losing his first start against Car, but the games against NE and Balt will be closer than anyone thought they would be. We lose to NE by 10 pts and Balt by a TD or less.

Painter finishes the year with 3 consecutive division wins against Hou, Ten and Jax and our final record is 4-12 or 5-11.

Painter is no longer the most hated man in Indy and people finally realize, hey...I guess there was a reason they kept him around. Though to be clear I'm not saying he's the QB of our future.

Ok....go ahead, tell me how crazy I am. ;)

:D

I'm glad some of you would like to cut the excuses. I really don't care who's under center this week we better win period. The offense needs to get it together. We have veterans on our team that can help Collins while we're playing. We should've won against the Browns last week. I expect a win this sunday against the stealers. We have probowl players on our team on defense, Dwight and Robert better get after Ben. If Raheem Brock could do it, they better do it. We need to attack more on defense, if we need extra pressure put Jerry Hughes in. Have him stand up and rush the passer and aid against the run. I know Jerry is capable of doing that much. So let's cut the excuses and get a win this Sunday. It really doesn't matter who we play I expect us to win every game! Let's go Colts!