Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ricky Jean Francois : How He Fits

atapcl

Cory Redding is past 30 years old missing more time than when he was younger. Moala has been injured every year he has been in the league and tore his acl last year. Moala may not be ready for training camp. Matthews has been a disapointment. Nevis has been injured both his years and is a little shorter than desired of a DE. Francois figures to battle for and win the RDE/DT spot with Nevis as his backup. Francois came to SF in a situation similar to Hughes when he came to the Colts. Francois had to pro bowl level players ahead of him. He played well when given the chance. Francois is big, strong and quick with the ability to play all three spots along the defensive front. The Bleacher Report calls Francois' signing the steal of free agency. If Moala comes back healthy maybe he replaces Rddding in 2014.

I like a tandem of Redding/Nevis and RJF/Guy. Moala's not terrible but he's never impressed me all that much, plus the injury will probably keep him out into the regular season. I've really liked what I've seen from Nevis in his two years, and I really hope he gets more reps next year. Even as a 5 tech he's looked good despite being 'undersized'. Either way, the two weakest defensive positions on our team; DE and CB, have been upgraded more than a lot of folks realize this offseason.

RJF in his limited play,  had as many sacks as Moala had Tackles in 8 games. 2
Moala had 12 assists in 8 games. 5 against Buffalo. Killing Levitre i bet. :funny: 
So in the other 7 games Moala has 1 tackle and 7 assists. Look up the guys stats at DE who replaced Redding after waiting 3 years.
5th round draft pick Arthur Jones.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13394/arthur-jones

So funny how people think Moala played even (OK) last season.

RJF in his limited play, had as many sacks as Moala had Tackles in 8 games. 2

Moala had 12 assists in 8 games. 5 against Buffalo. Killing Levitre i bet. :funny:

So in the other 7 games Moala has 1 tackle and 7 assists. Look up the guys stats at DE who replaced Redding after waiting 3 years.

5th round draft pick Arthur Jones.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13394/arthur-jones

So funny how people think Moala played even (OK) last season.

You do know what 34 defensive ends assignment s are right? Their jobs aren't to get sacks or tackles. It's to eat up blockers.

I thought Moala was starting to look really good last year. Might not have show up in the #'s but he was a big reason why freeman looked so good. And he put a lot of pressure on the qb. If we believe rjf is better than that is icing on the cake.

Don't forget about Chapman...dude will be fully healed next year, and was a beast at Alabama, where they regularly churn out top level DL/OL talent. Fit him into the rotation and I think we have a much more stout line than last season.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - personal shot

You do know what 34 defensive ends assignment s are right? Their jobs aren't to get sacks or tackles. It's to eat up blockers.

Ya look up ANY starting DE`s stats and see if your statement is true. Such a joke. Your knowledge level is ????

2 tackles in 8 games is Dustins norm? Gimme 6 of those guys.

:headspin: Exposed!!!!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - quoting removed post
Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - quoting removed post

Ya look up ANY starting DE`s stats and see if your statement is true. Such a joke. Your knowledge level is ????

:headspin: Exposed!!!!

he had 14 tackles

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, March 16, 2013 - personal argument

Ya look up ANY starting DE`s stats and see if your statement is true. Such a joke. Your knowledge level is ????

:headspin: Exposed!!!!

Seriously dude, do you even watch football? No he's not JJ Watt or Justin Smith, he's a serviable backup who played solid when he was thrust into a starting roll. Maybe if you watched the actual game and not just ramble of stats that don't reflect play you might be able to understand.

Let me get this straight...

Because Ends in the 3/4 are tasked with eating blocks so that the Linebackers can make the tackles, there is a problem if the End gets there and does it first?

Let me get this straight...

Because Ends in the 3/4 are tasked with eating blocks so that the Linebackers can make the tackles, there is a problem if the End gets there and do it first?

I didn't mean it like that.

He was a servicable backup that played OK when given the chance. I don't think he's anything special nor do I think he should be a starter. But IMO he gets to much flack for not filling up a stat sheet.

Seriously dude, do you even watch football? No he's not JJ Watt or Justin Smith, he's a serviable backup who played solid when he was thrust into a starting roll. Maybe if you watched the actual game and not just ramble of stats that don't reflect play you might be able to understand.

Dude I watched every game in slow motion and certainly paid attention to Fili and saw that he made NO Plays.

He was a DUD, just like his stats show compared to any other peer.

Get out of your head and check out Reddings numbers. The guy is average to above average. Never made a Pro-Bowl.

14 games 22 tackles  14 assists 2 sacks    And he made plays.

Understand, haha, you think they are to touch bellies and say hey. Sad! I get you.

Dude I watched every game in slow motion and certainly paid attention to Fili and saw that he made NO Plays.

He was a DUD, just like his stats show compared to any other peer.

Get out of your head and check out Reddings numbers. The guy is average to above average. Never made a Pro-Bowl.

14 games 22 tackles 14 assists 2 sacks And he made plays.

Understand, haha, you think they are to touch bellies and say hey. Sad! I get you.

Lol ok you win. He was terrible. You got me. I regret going up against a mind such as yours. I mean even when I say that stats don't reflect his play, you throw out MORE stats. I've honestly got to say that's the first time I've seen that.

I didn't mean it like that.

He was a servicable backup that played OK when given the chance. I don't think he's anything special nor do I think he should be a starter. But IMO he gets to much flack for not filling up a stat sheet.

That is not what you said to throwingBBS's comment... 

RJF in his limited play,  had as many sacks as Moala had Tackles in 8 games.

You said:

Regardless, there is nothing wrong with a 3/4 DE getting to the opponent and tackling him. Moala cannot hide behind the general role of a 3/4 DE. Because it does not preclude him from making tackles. I'm willing to let him come to Camp and prove himself against real talent. I have a not so subtle suspicion that he will not win a starting job.

He was a DUD, just like his stats show compared to any other peer....check out Reddings numbers. The guy is average to above average. 14 games 22 tackles  14 assists 2 sacks    And he made plays.

Ehhh, that is kinda different. Redding is playing the DT role (some folks think the 3/4 has two DEs. It really doesn't It has a DE a NT and a DT). Redding's role is generally the same but somewhat different. Regardless, he is definitely more talented and has WAY MORE heart than Moala.

That is not what you said to throwingBBS's comment...

You said:

Regardless, there is nothing wrong with a 3/4 DE getting to the opponent and tackling him. Moala cannot hide behind the general role of a 3/4 DE. Because he does not preclude him from making tackles. I'm willing to let him come to Camp and prove himself against real talent. I have a not so subtle suspicion that he will not win a starting job.

Yes I could have wrote my first statement better I suppose. I in no way meant to imply that getting to the QB and making tackles wasn't his job (though that's basically what I wrote) . He definitely could have played better. My main point towards BBS was that he doesn't necessarily need to be filling up a stat sheet to be making an impact. He more than likely won't win the starting job, but I would have no problem with him be a backup and coming in in rotation.

I think that his ability to play the multiple positions on the defensive line is very good, thus he can provide much depth to our defensive line that needs improvement.  Although he did not play many games last year, he performed well in the games he has played.  He will be a good player that fit with our system.

Okay people, you guys seriously have to STOP feeding so much into stats. People can make plays that DO NOT get on the stat sheet.

Ex: Redding draws a double team on a HB toss from the LT & FB leaving the RB without a lead blocker making it a Tackle for loss by Freeman.

Redding doesn't get credit for the play, the tackle goes to Freeman. But without Redding setting the edge, that play doesn't happen. You guys seriously have to start looking deeper into the game when you're watching. Certain plays happen for certain reasons

RJF's key is his versatility. He's a jack of all trades, master of none.

He's the 3-4 version of what Raheem Brock did for us. He's also versatile enough to stay on the field for our 4 man fronts. You're not going to get a Pro Bowler in RJF, but he does give Pagano an avenue to be more flexible with our fronts, and also provides some insurance at NT in case Chapman's rehab/conditioning isn't where it needs to be. Now, we also don't have to worry about rushing Moala back.

That said, in all likelihood, we'll still want to add one more D-linemen in the draft. We're still not at a point where we can turn down talented big men up front, and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if that's where our 1st rounder went.