Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those who think we overpaid...

Larry Horseman

Can you define what a market value contract is for the players we signed? I have no problem with people voicing opinions on subjects, but I do have a problem with people voicing opinions and then not following up with examples/facts to back up their opinions.

I like each signing we have made (some more than others). While not all contract numbers are public, pretty much everyone is in the $4-$6 million range with not a ton of guaranteed money. In today's NFL, all that matters is the guarantee. If Grigson got it wrong, he can cut the player after a couple of years with little to know ramifications on the cap. 

Here's my collective read on the signings: Grigson is paying for potential as much or more than past play. He is paying for our defensive system and offensive line now and in the future. He is paying to build a team of solid players who play together. He is paying based on HIS and the Colts' scouts evaluations of NFL talent. He is not paying based on what you, Brad Wells, or the media think. 

Case and point, signing Avril or Kruger would have put us in the same position we were in last year with Frathis. Don't we want to stop the run? Sure we need a pass rush, but there's more to rushing the passer than just pass rushers...we watched Freeney and Mathis collapse the outside pocket for years and all every QB did was step up into the wide open pocket due to a lack of push from the other DL. Another case and point is that our CB play/system made it nearly impossible to get pressure under the old regime. 

I could keep going but won't. Say why or why we didn't overpay, and if we did overpay, by how much...or don't and let the thread fall into the ether. 

Did we overpay for a couple guys? Probably a little, but thats what happens in free agency. I, for one...think we have had a great free agency period and I can't wait to see all our new guys on the field together.

To get the players Grigs and Pags needed to fit scheme meant an extra million than so be it.But Iam fine where we stand now draft the rest and roll the rest forward if need to be.Just incase wouldnt hurt to roll forward some incase of major injuries with guaranteed money

Can you define what a market value contract is for the players we signed? I have no problem with people voicing opinions on subjects, but I do have a problem with people voicing opinions and then not following up with examples/facts to back up their opinions.

I like each signing we have made (some more than others). While not all contract numbers are public, pretty much everyone is in the $4-$6 million range with not a ton of guaranteed money. In today's NFL, all that matters is the guarantee. If Grigson got it wrong, he can cut the player after a couple of years with little to know ramifications on the cap.

Here's my collective read on the signings: Grigson is paying for potential as much or more than past play. He is paying for our defensive system and offensive line now and in the future. He is paying to build a team of solid players who play together. He is paying based on HIS and the Colts' scouts evaluations of NFL talent. He is not paying based on what you, Brad Wells, or the media think.

Case and point, signing Avril or Kruger would have put us in the same position we were in last year with Frathis. Don't we want to stop the run? Sure we need a pass rush, but there's more to rushing the passer than just pass rushers...we watched Freeney and Mathis collapse the outside pocket for years and all every QB did was step up into the wide open pocket due to a lack of push from the other DL. Another case and point is that our CB play/system made it nearly impossible to get pressure under the old regime.

I could keep going but won't. Say why or why we didn't overpay, and if we did overpay, by how much...or don't and let the thread fall into the ether.

Well said!!!

Can you define what a market value contract is for the players we signed? I have no problem with people voicing opinions on subjects, but I do have a problem with people voicing opinions and then not following up with examples/facts to back up their opinions.

I like each signing we have made (some more than others). While not all contract numbers are public, pretty much everyone is in the $4-$6 million range with not a ton of guaranteed money. In today's NFL, all that matters is the guarantee. If Grigson got it wrong, he can cut the player after a couple of years with little to know ramifications on the cap. 

Great job Grigson is going about it the right way not blowing all the money on 2 or 3 players and we would still need more players.GO GRIGSON your going about it the right way Irsay your a smart man

Other than the CB contracts , everything was business as usual for the first 3 days of free agency. You just plain have to over pay. Good thing about our contracts is other than cherlius , the cap hits will not be bad on any mistakes made.

Hey mods, if you what to merge this with my thread you can. We're basically saying the samething.

I agree entirely, however I must say I don't think we needed another thread for this, there is enough of these hurting my head as it is.

My bad...looked for something similar but must have missed it in the craziness. Merge away mods...

just saw the details about Walden conttract...bassically is a 2 year 8 million deal. the other 2 years have a base salarie of 4 million each year BUT we wouldnt carry any dead money if we were to cut him.

if he plays the length of the contract thel ast 2 years have a cap hit of 4 million per year...its ok i think

just saw the details about Walden conttract...bassically is a 2 year 8 million deal. the other 2 years have a base salarie of 4 million each year BUT we wouldnt carry any dead money if we were to cut him.

if he plays the length of the contract thel ast 2 years have a cap hit of 4 million per year...its ok i think

That was exactly part of my point. If he works out its a deal, if not then its a 2 year investment. Plus, he is a run stopper. How many years has this board been complaining about that?

"Walden got a $1 million signing bonus and his deal includes a total of $8 million guaranteed -- the bonus, a $3 million base this season and a $4 million base in 2014. The contract also includes base salaries of $4 million in 2015 and 2016. 

So his cap number is $3.25 million this season, and $4.25 million for 2014, 2015, and 2016."

Tell that to all the nfl analysts I have. Been listening to on NFL radio and reading. Unified consensus, over paid on nearly every player.

Thats probably judging by what they have done in the past. Plus you need to remember you gotta pay for what you want. Sometimes its higher than what we would like because of competition. Were not the only team that wants alot of these guys. You not gonna get everyone at exactly or the ideal price you want them. Its a buisness. Im sure Grigs and Irsay know very very well what thier doing. And also their have been many postive reports in what the Colts have done. Dont base everything on what the media says. Half the time thier just as wrong as us.

That's not bad at all. 

Thats probably judging by what they have done in the past. Plus you need to remember you gotta pay for what you want. Sometimes its higher than what we would like because of competition. Were not the only team that wants alot of these guys. You not gonna get everyone at exactly or the ideal price you want them. Its a buisness. Im sure Grigs and Irsay know very very well what thier doing. And also their have been many postive reports in what the Colts have done. Dont base everything on what the media says. Half the time thier just as wrong as us.

I don't disagree, we had to overpay to make or minimum of the salary cap, since most are front loaded its a win win and opens us up to great signing possibilities for the next 4 years.

I don't disagree, we had to overpay to make or minimum of the salary cap, since most are front loaded its a win win and opens us up to great signing possibilities for the next 4 years.

Ohh okay! I see what you were saying now. Read it in the wrong context, my bad. And yeah your definatley right about the win win.