Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Colts Get The #1 Pick In Draft..

JimJaime

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i tyhink trading down is a good idea but i would like to see a stud RB ya know the adrian peterson, steven jackson, chris johnson type guy and an offensive change to where we are a run first team not a pass first team. i think it would be a good thing to do so

We have far more pressing needs than RB unless either Addai or Carter gets hurt really bad. On top of that I'm not sure any of this coming year's RBs would be the all around stud you're looking for. Marcus Lattimore would definitely be that guy but he isn't eligible until 2013. :)

I believe you don't need to draft a runningback in the first round.

Well, you do if you want to get that elite every down back like an Adrian Peterson. That hasn't been the Colts approach since Edge though so it's unlikely they'd do it. I'm not sure a back like that would even be in the coming draft with the possible exception of Trent Richardson of Alabama. Like I said though, next year there will be a RB definitely worth the early pick in Marcus Lattimore. He is just a stud. The closest comparison I can think of to make is to Emmitt Smith. Yeah it might be early to proclaim him as that good but....he definitely is that good at least so far. :)

Manti Te'o is an absolute BEAST

He's projected to go very late 1st round so Colts might be able to pick him up early 2nd round.

It's definitely possible. I think there will be several QBs, WRs, OL and DEs taken so the MLBs could slip a little bit. I also think Burfict will be taken over Te'o because he superficially appears to be the bigger playmaker. Courtney Upshaw and Don'ta Hightower are also among the top OLB prospects but they're all over the place on draft boards. I think they'd be better with a 3-4 team than a 4-3 team so there's no telling if that could help or hurt our chances at Te'o.

The only problem (not really a problem) is that he's a junior and he's a good student so he might not come out this draft and get his degree instead

that is very true and certainly a possibility. If we still wanted to go MLB that early we could still go with Upshaw, Hightower or Luke Kuechly of Boston College, though of these Upshaw is the only senior so there's still the possibility they could stay as well. I don't think we really have to go MLB early this year but if the right guy is there I'd love to see the Colts pull the trigger. Worst case scenario we could pick up couple of quality LB's in the 4th and 5th rounds if we wanted to. I'd love to add Nigel Bradham of FSU to compete with Conner for the WILL spot. Keenan Robinson of Texas would also be a good OLB choice. If we wanted to add another MLB and don't early we could look at Chris Galippo of USC in the 5th round. He's been playing our defensive scheme (though a simplified version) for 2 years at USC. I don't think he has the same type of speed that Te'o has but he could still be good, even if he's just used for depth behind Angerer. I really hope this is Bracket's last year as a Colt, or at least he takes a pay cut and a reduced role as a Nickel LB.

ps. I think it would be funny if we drafted either Upshaw or Hightower...we'd then have a LB who's the same size as Freeney and bigger than either Hughes or Mathis. lol

Whomever said that we should take a look at Matt Barkley instead of Luck is an absolute *! Luck is by far(and its not even close) the best polished quarterback in college football and was even back to last year. This kid is ready for the NFL right now. He would sure look great with Peyton mentoring him until Peyton retires!

Whomever said that we should take a look at Matt Barkley instead of Luck is an absolute *! Luck is by far(and its not even close) the best polished quarterback in college football and was even back to last year. This kid is ready for the NFL right now. He would sure look great with Peyton mentoring him until Peyton retires!

That's the whole point...he's nfl ready now. We don't need a QB who is nfl ready right now. We can spend a lower pick on an equally talented prospect who simply needs some polishing (THIS is what Green bay did with Aaron Rodgers).

That's the whole point...he's nfl ready now. We don't need a QB who is nfl ready right now. We can spend a lower pick on an equally talented prospect who simply needs some polishing (THIS is what Green bay did with Aaron Rodgers).

Exactly! Trade down and improve on other positions like CB, safety etc...we have peyton locked in for the next 4-5 years and if we do draft luck, how do we pay him first-round salary? We need to look at other areas other than QB

Exactly! Trade down and improve on areas

If you believe that this kid is a cant miss prospect,how do you not take him.Peyton will be back but who knows about necks,and he is getting up there.Draft him let him sit for 2 years{like rodgers}and see where were at.

I don't think it necessarily has to be Luck. I don't believe anyone is a can't miss prospect, especially at quarterback, but regardless, I think the right way to handle a rookie quarterback is to have him on the bench behind a veteran who can show him the ropes. Like you said, Aaron Rodgers style. And whether it's Andrew Luck, Kellen Moore, Matt Barkley, or whomever, as long as he gets good coaching and can learn from watching the vet practice and study film, he'll have a better opportunity to become a solid player.

I don't think it necessarily has to be Luck. I don't believe anyone is a can't miss prospect, especially at quarterback, but regardless, I think the right way to handle a rookie quarterback is to have him on the bench behind a veteran who can show him the ropes. Like you said, Aaron Rodgers style. And whether it's Andrew Luck, Kellen Moore, Matt Barkley, or whomever, as long as he gets good coaching and can learn from watching the vet practice and study film, he'll have a better opportunity to become a solid player.

you said good coach and that what the colts do not have.

you said good coach and that what the colts do not have.

I said good coaching. I can't think of anything a young quarterback could benefit from more than being exposed to Peyton Manning and his work ethic. If you really believe that Manning's brilliance has nothing to do with the coaches around him, then it doesn't really matter. Being around Manning is more than enough. But I do think Clyde Christiansen and Jim Caldwell have had an impact on Peyton (he's said so himself), so that's a bonus right there.

No matter. I don't care to defend the coaching staff against pointless attacks. I'm just saying that I think a young quarterback benefits from being able to learn behind a veteran for a few years, so I do think we should draft a quarterback next year and stick him on the bench, and I don't necessarily think it has to be Mr. Can't Miss Andrew Luck. I think any of the top three qb prospects can be really good pros if they get to learn at Manning's feet.

If you believe that this kid is a cant miss prospect,how do you not take him.Peyton will be back but who knows about necks,and he is getting up there.Draft him let him sit for 2 years{like rodgers}and see where were at.

I am so sick of seeing the comparisons of us taking Luck to the Packers taking Rodgers. It is simply not the same situation. There were concerns about Rodgers coming out of college. His mechanics needed work. He was not considered nfl-ready. If he had been then he would have been drafted in the top 5 and would have been starting from day 1. Since he wasn't nfl-ready, he was drafted at the end of the first round and the issues with his mechanics were coached and he improved. That is why he is now the caliber of QB he is today. The same thing could be done with Matt Barkley, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Kellen Moore or Kirk Cousins and none of these guys (with the possible exception of Barkley) would require a top 5 pick. Drafting Foles, Tannehill, Moore or Cousins WOULD be comparable to the Packers drafting Rodgers. Taking Luck #1 overall is an entirely different situation.

I said good coaching. I can't think of anything a young quarterback could benefit from more than being exposed to Peyton Manning and his work ethic. If you really believe that Manning's brilliance has nothing to do with the coaches around him, then it doesn't really matter. Being around Manning is more than enough. But I do think Clyde Christiansen and Jim Caldwell have had an impact on Peyton (he's said so himself), so that's a bonus right there.

Agreed...there's no way anyone can say that Peyton's success isn't at least in some small part to Caldwell, Christiansen and Tom Moore. I'm not saying that means Caldwell should remain as the head coach...I'm still undecided on that. Sadly, if he were replaced as head coach he would most likely be fired completely instead of demoted back to QB coach.

Whats the strong position in this years draft? is it a good draft for the colts to have a high pick??

It is an excellent year for the Colts to have a high draft pick, especially if they do the smart thing and trade down for extra picks. There are going to be a lot of talented players that we can pickup in each of the rounds, but having as many 1st and 2nd round choices as possible gives us a great chance to add to an already talented team.

My comparison of rogers to luck was simple,young player drafted with a veteran future hall of famer still the starter.

Yes it was very simple...and it was inaccurate. The closest comparison to the Colts drafting Luck at #1 would be this:

First of all this is an imaginary scenario because, well it has to be...a situation like the Colts drafting Luck in 2012 #1 overall has never, to my knowledge, happened before. So in this scenario, we're going to pretend a few things...first, we have to pretend that Manning enters the draft in 2005, the same year as Aaron Rodgers. We also have to pretend that the previous year, Brett Favre was injured early and missed the entire year, causing a complete collapse by the packers leaving them with the #1 pick overall in 2005.

so in the 2005 draft, now with the #1 pick overall AND with the present understanding that Favre will return the following year, they draft Peyton Manning #1 overall. Manning sits behind Favre for 3-4 years learning (presumably nothing) from Favre in the mean time. Green Bay is forced to continue paying Favre his very high salary and now they're also forced to pay Manning a #1 overall QB salary, which is the highest you're going to pay to any draft pick. Now they are more crippled than they should be because they have a QB riding the bench that doesn't need to be riding the bench and they have less flexibility to address other areas of need.

That, however, is not what happened. Rodgers was drafted in the late in the first round, where he belonged due to the concerns about his mechanics, and he was paid no more, and possibly less, than the average backup QB salary. This gave them much more flexibility to address other positions.

Yes it was very simple...and it was inaccurate. The closest comparison to the Colts drafting Luck at #1 would be this:

First of all this is an imaginary scenario because, well it has to be...a situation like the Colts drafting Luck in 2012 #1 overall has never, to my knowledge, happened before. So in this scenario, we're going to pretend a few things...first, we have to pretend that Manning enters the draft in 2005, the same year as Aaron Rodgers. We also have to pretend that the previous year, Brett Favre was injured early and missed the entire year, causing a complete collapse by the packers leaving them with the #1 pick overall in 2005.

so in the 2005 draft, now with the #1 pick overall AND with the present understanding that Favre will return the following year, they draft Peyton Manning #1 overall. Manning sits behind Favre for 3-4 years learning (presumably nothing) from Favre in the mean time. Green Bay is forced to continue paying Favre his very high salary and now they're also forced to pay Manning a #1 overall QB salary, which is the highest you're going to pay to any draft pick. Now they are more crippled than they should be because they have a QB riding the bench that doesn't need to be riding the bench and they have less flexibility to address other areas of need.

That, however, is not what happened. Rodgers was drafted in the late in the first round, where he belonged due to the concerns about his mechanics, and he was paid no more, and possibly less, than the average backup QB salary. This gave them much more flexibility to address other positions.

let me ask you a question,what if peyton reinjures that neck at some point next year?With the new salary cap for rookies the hit would not be as bad as in prior years.I know it would be tough but franchise qb's are rare.Or did you forget about the new rookie wage scales?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I just wanted to point out that the draft contracts are structured on a wage scale, so the only issue with rookie contracts is how much of them are guaranteed. Cam Newton got four years, $22 million, fully guaranteed. Assume next year's #1 pick gets somewhere around that, probably close to $25 million for four years, fully guaranteed. That's $6.25 million a year, just slightly more than you're paying a veteran backup anyway.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I just wanted to point out that the draft contracts are structured on a wage scale, so the only issue with rookie contracts is how much of them are guaranteed. Cam Newton got four years, $22 million, fully guaranteed. Assume next year's #1 pick gets somewhere around that, probably close to $25 million for four years, fully guaranteed. That's $6.25 million a year, just slightly more than you're paying a veteran backup anyway.

This is what I think a lot of people are missing. They are still assuming a #1 overall pick is going to make big money, and thats not the case anymore with the new rookie wage scale. A #1 overall pick will still probably make less than Rodgers did his rookie yr. due to the new scale. Although, I do not know how much Rodgers got on his rookie contract.

This is what I think a lot of people are missing. They are still assuming a #1 overall pick is going to make big money, and thats not the case anymore with the new rookie wage scale. A #1 overall pick will still probably make less than Rodgers did his rookie yr. due to the new scale. Although, I do not know how much Rodgers got on his rookie contract.

Five years, $8 million. So, no, a #1 pick still makes more than Rodgers made.

let me ask you a question,what if peyton reinjures that neck at some point next year?With the new salary cap for rookies the hit would not be as bad as in prior years.I know it would be tough but franchise qb's are rare.

In the case of the Colts and Luck, yes the rookie salary cap would help. However it's not as much the additional money we'd be spending for Luck as opposed to a later first round QB, but rather the additional picks we would acquire in trading out of the #1 spot. If the Colts wind up in the top spot I don't want them to draft anyone. Trade down to anywhere between 5-15 and we're still drafting higher than we're used to AND we get several additional picks (very possibly including an additional first round pick next year) in the process. We can then still address the QB situation somewhere in the first round with either Landry Jones (if we get lucky and/or don't trade down too far because he will go early as well) or Nick Foles, Kellen Moore, Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins or possibly Matt Barkley in the middle to late first round area or possibly the early second round. These guys, like Aaron Rodgers, have a ton of talent and potential but they are as yet unpolished.

In the case of the Colts and Luck, yes the rookie salary cap would help. However it's not as much the additional money we'd be spending for Luck as opposed to a later first round QB, but rather the additional picks we would acquire in trading out of the #1 spot. If the Colts wind up in the top spot I don't want them to draft anyone. Trade down to anywhere between 5-15 and we're still drafting higher than we're used to AND we get several additional picks (very possibly including an additional first round pick next year) in the process. We can then still address the QB situation somewhere in the first round with either Landry Jones (if we get lucky and/or don't trade down too far because he will go early as well) or Nick Foles, Kellen Moore, Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins or possibly Matt Barkley in the middle to late first round area or possibly the early second round. These guys, like Aaron Rodgers, have a ton of talent and potential but they are as yet unpolished.

I will leave that up to the colts front office,my point is if luck is that good you may not be able to pass him up.And you maybe right as well they could sell the pick to the highest bidder.

If Luck really is as good a prospect as people are making him out to be (and I'm not so sure that he is), then he's probably work the extra $10-15 million we're talking about. That's the difference between the #1 pick (Cam Newton, QB, Panthers) and the #21 pick (Phil Taylor, DE, Browns).

If Luck really is as good a prospect as people are making him out to be (and I'm not so sure that he is), then he's probably work the extra $10-15 million we're talking about. That's the difference between the #1 pick (Cam Newton, QB, Panthers) and the #21 pick (Phil Taylor, DE, Browns).

i know that I mentioned the money in the comparison with Rodgers, but for me it's not so much about that as it is the additional talent we could also acquire in trading back.

i know that I mentioned the money in the comparison with Rodgers, but for me it's not so much about that as it is the additional talent we could also acquire in trading back.

I agree. I was going to say this also. The primary argument for trading down is the additional three or four draft picks you could add. But it still depends on how highly you value Luck.

I agree. I was going to say this also. The primary argument for trading down is the additional three or four draft picks you could add. But it still depends on how highly you value Luck.

And also how highly other teams value Luck. If Atlanta was willing to swap 1st round picks and also give up a 2nd, 4th and the 1st and 4th in the next year's draft, the 3 or 4 picks you mentioned could turn into even more from a team who is just all in love with Luck. :)

And also how highly other teams value Luck. If Atlanta was willing to swap 1st round picks and also give up a 2nd, 4th and the 1st and 4th in the next year's draft, the 3 or 4 picks you mentioned could turn into even more from a team who is just all in love with Luck. :)

But if you have him as high as other teams do, then you just take him. For the slew of picks, and knowing I could still get a really good quarterback prospect later in the first round, I'd probably do the pick swaps and wind up with two or three firsts, plus extra picks next year. And I'd still get my future franchise quarterback. I just don't think our front office is going to make those kinds of moves. Especially now that the big money issue is off the table.