Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Colts Get The #1 Pick In Draft..

JimJaime

The new wage scale would make it possible to get Luck but what about his veteran contract for years later if Manning plays all four years? He will want to be paid top dollar to start but the Colts will have no idea if he will be as advertised in pressure situations. I think Leaf, Shuler, Young, Marinovich,... were all can't miss top picks. Fortunately, their teams knew not to pick up the veteran contracts on them. I say we have to make this team better around Manning if he is coming back.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you have him as high as other teams do, then you just take him. For the slew of picks, and knowing I could still get a really good quarterback prospect later in the first round, I'd probably do the pick swaps and wind up with two or three firsts, plus extra picks next year. And I'd still get my future franchise quarterback. I just don't think our front office is going to make those kinds of moves. Especially now that the big money issue is off the table.

Right, it's all about how highly the Colts value Luck compared to the other QB's and that is simply something we won't know until we're put in the situation. AS to the our front office not making those kind of moves...as I said in another thread, this year throws everything that happened in the past out the window since Chris officially took over control of day to day operations. It was my understanding that Chris was named GM in '09 and then spent the following year in a "training" phase so to speak and then officially took over control of day to day in 2010, making this past offseason his first being in complete control. Sure Bill probably still holds veto power but would he use it and essentially slap Chris in the face?

One thing I will say is that, if this past offseason was any indication, Chris seems to be a bit more of a mover and a shaker (so to speak) than Bill ever was. He did go out and pick up some guys who either had it in the past but dropped off hoping they could rekindle their former glory, or guys who were highly touted coming out of the draft but never really lived up to their hype who might just need the chance for a fresh start. Sure, Sims has been hurt so far but he could still come back and make a solid contribution if he gets healthy. Yeah we cut Tommy Harris for whatever reason but Anderson and Brayton are more than contributing so far. These are moves I just don't see Bill making since...well he never did make any moves like that. The only exception I can think of would be when they finally decided we needed a true NT and brought in Cory Simon and then Booger McFarland. Those were 2 isolated incidents out of several years. Chris has already made more moves than that in his first year. So, he may be much more willing to do the trade down for picks than Bill was. then again back to the veto power that Bill may still have. Ahh, so many questions, so few answers....that's part of what makes it so exciting. :) lol

Oh and personally, I don't think Luck is that much better than some of the other prospects that a team like us would HAVE to get him. Assuming Peyton is able to come back he will have 2 or 3 years to work with one of the other prospects and help iron out some of the minor flaws in footwork, throwing motion or other mechanics that make them not as NFL-ready as Luck is.

my updated prediction:

We get first pick, trade it to Cleveland for their 2 first round picks, the #5 pick and the #17 pick (from ATL, who is gonna have a terrible season this year and finish 8-8), along with Josh Cribbs. We'll select Alshon Jeffery, WR from South Carolina with the #5 and Trent Richardson, RB from Alabama with the #17 pick. We will then select Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia(6'5", 348 lbs) with our 2nd round pick and then trade our 3rd and 5th round picks to move up to the middle 2nd round and select Ben Jones, C from Georgia(6'3", 316 lbs). We will then trade our 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks to move up to the early third round and select Kellen Moore, QB from Boise State.

We will address our defensive needs via free agency by acquiring: Tracey Porter - CB from the Saints, LaRon Landry - S from the Redskins, and Paul Soliai - DT from the Dolphins(6'4", 355 lbs).

We will resign Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis. We won't resign Ryan Diem, Pierre Garcon, or Anthony Gonzalez. Jeff Saturday will retire. We will cut Donald Brown and Gary Brackett.

Cordy Glenn and Ben Jones will move right into the starting lineup, giving us an o-line of: Castanzo and Reitz on the left side, Jones in the middle, and Glenn and Ijalana on the right side. The unit will quickly assert themselves as one of the top offensive lines in the NFL. Alshon Jeffery will move right into the #2 WR spot behind Wayne, with Collie, Cribbs, and White filling out the rest of the WR corps. Trent Richardson will not start, but will actually get more carries/game than Addai, sharing the load with him and Carter at 50/40/10.

The free agent acquisitions will all be starters, giving us a defensive lineup of: Freeney, Soliai, Nevis, and Mathis on the d-line, Conner, Angerer, and Wheeler at the linebackers, Powers and Porter at the cornerbacks, and Bethea and Landry at the safeties.

Josh Cribbs will instantly turn us from one of the worst special teams in the league to one of the most dangerous.

Then, after reaggravating his neck injury during the preseason, Peyton Manning will announcement his retirement just days before the regular season starts. mod edit Just kidding, then we go on to be one of the best teams in the league again for the remainder of Mannings career, which will be another 5 years. In that time, we will win 3 consecutive superbowls, have an off year where we loss in the divisional round of the playoffs, and then win another superbowl (Manning's last game). Manning will get 2 more league MVPs, 3 more superbowl MVPs, and break all of the major career passing records. In 2013, he will throw for and 55 TDs (25 to Alshon Jeffery) which will break Tom Brady's record for passing tds in a season and Randy Moss' record for receiving tds in a season. Colts will go down as one of the greatest dynastys in NFL history, and Manning will unequivacably go down as THE GREATEST player in the history of football.

yeah they would. look at what atlanta gave up for a juliio jones....and he's a reciever. the 17th and josh cribbs? sorry, that isn't enough.

Cleveland has 2 first round picks because of the Atlanta trade, so he's saying we'd get both first round picks and Cribbs. I also don't see this happening...I could see the 2 picks in the first round and a mid round pick but I don't think they'd include Cribbs in the deal. That'd be giving away one of the few weapons Luck would have if they drafted him.

That guy :number1:

Folks....we don't....need....a tackle. We spent first and second round picks last year on OT. There's no need to spend another #1 on another tackle. You want a top quality guard? I can agree with that but Guards don't tend to go as high nor as quickly as tackles so we can still get a very good guard in the 2nd or 3rd round....maybe even 4th.

Besides, I saw Kalil get beat pretty badly several times against Arizona State.

Yeah but if you put Kalil at LT, move Castanzo over to RT and kick Ijanal inside to guard, that should make our line look pretty good. Keep in mind that Diem and Saturday will more than likely not be with us next year. Pollack will probably take over the center position and Reitz could end up staying at guard pending his play the rest of the year. So why not build a solid offensive line that would allow us to protect whoever is behind center? Not everyone is going to get rid of the ball as quickly as Manning does. Plus, we can really establish a running game. My guess is that Life After Peyton (LAP) is not going to be anywhere near the same. We'll need to really pick up the load of the quarterback by running the ball. We could potentially have one of the best offensive lines in football. Look what that does for Brady. Look what it did for Cassel when Brady got injured. After the 1st round, we address the defensive side.

Cleveland has 2 first round picks because of the Atlanta trade, so he's saying we'd get both first round picks and Cribbs. I also don't see this happening...I could see the 2 picks in the first round and a mid round pick but I don't think they'd include Cribbs in the deal. That'd be giving away one of the few weapons Luck would have if they drafted him.

i understand that. but basically they would just be swapping the 1st and 5th....which essentially means the colts would get the 17th and cribbs. i still maintain that isn't enough. it sucks, but winning without a top flight qb is very difficult..and winning the sb even more so.

i mean would you wanna look back and think " wow, i missed out on the next great qb because i couldn't part with josh cribbs". not that u are that high on luck, but if a team is....

i understand that. but basically they would just be swapping the 1st and 5th....which essentially means the colts would get the 17th and cribbs. i still maintain that isn't enough. it sucks, but winning without a top flight qb is very difficult..and winning the sb even more so.

i mean would you wanna look back and think " wow, i missed out on the next great qb because i couldn't part with josh cribbs". not that u are that high on luck, but if a team is....

Well imo if we made the trade with Cleveland it would be strictly for picks or for picks + McCoy. Like I said above, I don't think they'd part with Cribbs because he would be Luck's biggest target. Personally I'd prefer picks only and I wouldn't give up #1 without more than just the #5 and #17. I think we would easily get 1 more pick this year (probably 4th round) and a couple of picks next year. I do think that would be worth it.

my updated prediction:

We get first pick, trade it to Cleveland for their 2 first round picks, the #5 pick and the #17 pick (from ATL, who is gonna have a terrible season this year and finish 8-8), along with Josh Cribbs. We'll select Alshon Jeffery, WR from South Carolina with the #5 and Trent Richardson, RB from Alabama with the #17 pick. We will then select Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia(6'5", 348 lbs) with our 2nd round pick and then trade our 3rd and 5th round picks to move up to the middle 2nd round and select Ben Jones, C from Georgia(6'3", 316 lbs). We will then trade our 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks to move up to the early third round and select Kellen Moore, QB from Boise State.

We will address our defensive needs via free agency by acquiring: Tracey Porter - CB from the Saints, LaRon Landry - S from the Redskins, and Paul Soliai - DT from the Dolphins(6'4", 355 lbs).

We will resign Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis. We won't resign Ryan Diem, Pierre Garcon, or Anthony Gonzalez. Jeff Saturday will retire. We will cut Donald Brown and Gary Brackett.

Cordy Glenn and Ben Jones will move right into the starting lineup, giving us an o-line of: Castanzo and Reitz on the left side, Jones in the middle, and Glenn and Ijalana on the right side. The unit will quickly assert themselves as one of the top offensive lines in the NFL. Alshon Jeffery will move right into the #2 WR spot behind Wayne, with Collie, Cribbs, and White filling out the rest of the WR corps. Trent Richardson will not start, but will actually get more carries/game than Addai, sharing the load with him and Carter at 50/40/10.

The free agent acquisitions will all be starters, giving us a defensive lineup of: Freeney, Soliai, Nevis, and Mathis on the d-line, Conner, Angerer, and Wheeler at the linebackers, Powers and Porter at the cornerbacks, and Bethea and Landry at the safeties.

Josh Cribbs will instantly turn us from one of the worst special teams in the league to one of the most dangerous.

Then, after reaggravating his neck injury during the preseason, Peyton Manning will announcement his retirement just days before the regular season starts. mod edit Just kidding, then we go on to be one of the best teams in the league again for the remainder of Mannings career, which will be another 5 years. In that time, we will win 3 consecutive superbowls, have an off year where we loss in the divisional round of the playoffs, and then win another superbowl (Manning's last game). Manning will get 2 more league MVPs, 3 more superbowl MVPs, and break all of the major career passing records. In 2013, he will throw for and 55 TDs (25 to Alshon Jeffery) which will break Tom Brady's record for passing tds in a season and Randy Moss' record for receiving tds in a season. Colts will go down as one of the greatest dynastys in NFL history, and Manning will unequivacably go down as THE GREATEST player in the history of football.

No way this happens ... and if some similar version of it did happen in the twilight zone there is no way we use a 1st round pick on a RB.

Yeah but if you put Kalil at LT, move Castanzo over to RT and kick Ijanal inside to guard, that should make our line look pretty good. Keep in mind that Diem and Saturday will more than likely not be with us next year. Pollack will probably take over the center position and Reitz could end up staying at guard pending his play the rest of the year. So why not build a solid offensive line that would allow us to protect whoever is behind center? Not everyone is going to get rid of the ball as quickly as Manning does. Plus, we can really establish a running game. My guess is that Life After Peyton (LAP) is not going to be anywhere near the same. We'll need to really pick up the load of the quarterback by running the ball. We could potentially have one of the best offensive lines in football. Look what that does for Brady. Look what it did for Cassel when Brady got injured. After the 1st round, we address the defensive side.

Why would move Castonzo? He's doing just fine at left tackle. Also, that now puts a rookie blocking hopefully Manning's blindside. Teams tend to try to avoid that if they can. Ijalana has never played guard. Bill Polian said in training camp that he's a tackle. The only people who keep talking about playing him at guard are the fans. People got excited because Caldwell didn't rule it out but what people failed to realize is very rarely does Caldwell rule out anything just in case we end up doing it for some reason. He also siad it in camp before we realized how the line was going to shake out. It's pretty clear if you watched him in the pre-season and the fact he's our only back up tackle on the roster he's being groomed to be our right tackle of the future. You are right Pollack is probably going to move to center. Reitz and Castonzo are going to stay where they are and hopefully Ijalana is our right tackle next year. That leaves us with a hole at right guard which will be addressed by either resigning Diem for another one year deal or drafting a guard in the draf or Pollack become the right guard and we resign Jeff to another one year deal. Trust me that will be enough change to the line alone without bringing in another rookie to learn left tackle and asking Castonzo to learn the right tackle job.

An alternative to Blackmon/Alshon Jeffery

Jeff Fuller is projected second round - third round

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

-Same size as Alshon. Is faster, just less physical

Projected 40 Time: 4.49.

Projected Round (2012): 1-2.

The Aggies got a fabulous junior season from wide receiver Jeff Fuller. He caught 76 passes for 1,066 yards and 12 touchdowns. Fuller is a big, physical receiver that presents a large target and catching radius for his quarterbacks. He works the short and intermediate part of the field well. He looks like he would be a very good chain-mover and possession receiver in the NFL. Fuller would make a good Z (flanker) receiver quickly.

His forte is being a possession receiver. He is sure handed and excels in the short to medium routes and throws.

I love these videos. Go to this persons channel for some good analysis videos

The above video doesn't show that he can be a deep threat too

Good luck in the game this Monday but you guys aren't worse than the Chiefs, come on now!

Here's to an injury free game......feel free to come check out the new Bucs forums.

GO BUCS!

Sorry, I had to edit your post as links to other forums are "frowned upon in this establishment". :(

Sadly, it often just leads to board wars.

I do realize that wasn't your intent and want to say, "Welcome" :hello:

I'm glad you have decided to join us and I also hope for an injury free game.

GO COLTS!

An alternative to Blackmon/Alshon Jeffery

Jeff Fuller is projected second round - third round

Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

-Same size as Alshon. Is faster, just less physical

Projected 40 Time: 4.49.

Projected Round (2012): 1-2.

The Aggies got a fabulous junior season from wide receiver Jeff Fuller. He caught 76 passes for 1,066 yards and 12 touchdowns. Fuller is a big, physical receiver that presents a large target and catching radius for his quarterbacks. He works the short and intermediate part of the field well. He looks like he would be a very good chain-mover and possession receiver in the NFL. Fuller would make a good Z (flanker) receiver quickly.

His forte is being a possession receiver. He is sure handed and excels in the short to medium routes and throws.

I'm a little confused about the parts I put in red. ;) I think round 1-2 is right and I also think Fuller would be a very valuable pickup. I think a guy like Fuller would give us the ability to pass on Jeffrey and instead go with Dre Kirkpatrick but it would likely require some kind of a deal to be made in order to pick up an additional 2nd round pick because QB will likely also be addressed around the same area. Unless they go QB early in the 1st in which case the next pick I think would go to CB. I don't see our first 2 picks going for offense...one maybe but not both.

another couple of guys of similar build to watch for are Dwight Jones (currently projected 3rd-4th round) and Derek Moye (currently 6th-7th....I'm telling you guys he could be the sleeper pick of the draft). Moye is 6'5", 215 lbs and one report said he ran a 4.3 40...I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration but he is incredibly fast. The things that are going to keep him from moving too far up the boards (he will move up but no telling how much) is that Penn State has no true #1 QB and they mostly run a very conservative offense, running quite a bit more than passing. They currently have 2 QB's (one who is more a Kordell Stewart/Dennis Dixon slash type and the other more of a pure pocket passer) who play in alternate quarters or on alternating drives. Ultimately, Moye probably stays a late round pick but it's more indicative of his situation than it is his level of talent. :)

I would rather see the colts take a SUH type player for the DT spot, if there is one. I dont really follow college.

Best DT/NT for us, imo would be Brandon Thompson. However, don't count out Dontari Poe. A lot of people will look at Poe who is 6'5" and 350 lbs and peg him solely as a run stuffer but that couldn't be further from the truth. The guy has speed for 350 lbs. He'll probably move up the board though and go to a 3-4 team who needs a NT. He reminds me a lot of BJ Raji from GB.

I'm a little confused about the parts I put in red. ;) I think round 1-2 is right and I also think Fuller would be a very valuable pickup.

Oops typo. He's definitely more likely to fall to the second round though.

And honestly I don't see the Colts picking a WR early (1,2 or 3 rd). Irsay seems pretty happy with the ones we got right now.

Oops typo. He's definitely more likely to fall to the second round though.

And honestly I don't see the Colts picking a WR early (1,2 or 3 rd). Irsay seems pretty happy with the ones we got right now.

I agree...if we are able to acquire a few extra picks to address the biggest needs early, then I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Broyles (described as Wes Welker with better speed) and Derek Moye drafted in the later rounds. Broyles right now I think is a projected 3rd round pick and may have difficulty moving up any higher than that due to his height of 5'10". Another guy who could be around in the 4th/5th round is Juron Criner. Very similar in build to Fuller.