Updated Colts Mock (3-3-13)

Indy resigns CB Powers, LB Fokou, DE Moala, OT/G Reitz

Indy signs...

CB Antoine Cason

OG Louis Vasquez

SS William Moore

RT Sebastian Vollmer

2013 NFL Draft

*Indy trades 24th, 6th round picks to Buffalo for their 2nd, 3rd, 5th round picks*

2nd(via trade)- OLB Alex Okafor (We get our OLB who can do everything including stopping the run. He also has the size at OLB Pagano likes at 6-4, 260 pounds. Mathis, Hughes, and Okafor will be a good trio of pass rushers.)

3rd(via trade)- OG Travis Frederick (We get the final piece to this overhaul on our OL. Having two big OGs in Vasquez and Frederick along with good bookend OTs in Costanzo and Vollmer will make an huge upgrade to both protecting Luck and running the ball.)

3rd- CB/FS Tyrann Mathieu (Big playmaker pick here and we have seen and heard that Grigson is not afraid to take a guy if he has great talent. Pagano can work with Mathieu on his drug issue and this pick could be a steal here. Will start immediately at nickel. Its up to Powers and Cason to battle for the #2 spot.)

4th- Kwame Geathers, NT (We get a huge NT to share time with Chapman.)

5th(via trade)- Best DL available

I really like this scenario... I might change Cason to Toler or Grimes... not sure Okafor will fall that far, but I could get on board for this... fills needs with quality players and prospects :thmup:

I'm not sold on Mathieu as an NFL quality CB or S...

If the players are there, I'm mostly down with it...

Like all the moves accept for Okafor

What is everyone's hate on Okafor for? He is a good all around pass rusher who may not have the explosiveness that Dion Jordan has, but who does in this draft? Okafor is a great value at the top of the 2nd, and could be as good if not better than Terrell Suggs.

What is everyone's hate on Okafor for? He is a good all around pass rusher who may not have the explosiveness that Dion Jordan has, but who does in this draft? Okafor is a great value at the top of the 2nd, and could be as good if not better than Terrell Suggs.

I think some people are really over rating Okafor. He does some things well, but does nothing great IMO and that doesn't scream 1st rd. pick to me. I wouldn't take him before mid to late 2nd rd. and since we don't have a 2nd rder., that's not gonna happen. IMO, Okafor is suited to play in a 4-3 DE position.

Its pretty simple, Mayock wasn't raving about Okafor, I trust Mayocks opinion more then any others I can think of off the top of my head but Okafor clearly showed he can play standing up as a 3-4 pass rush DE/OLB in my opinion, Its not like he is going to dropped back in coverage 20 times a game, Freeney no Suggs rarely were, I'd expect him to rush the passer the majority of snaps, thats what we would be drafting him for not for him to consistently drop back in coverage and waste his pass rushing talents

I think some people are really over rating Okafor. He does some things well, but does nothing great IMO and that doesn't scream 1st rd. pick to me. I wouldn't take him before mid to late 2nd rd. and since we don't have a 2nd rder., that's not gonna happen. IMO, Okafor is suited to play in a 4-3 DE position.

you do know he stood up his fair at Texas right and we would not be drafting our pass rushing 3-4 DE/OLB to drop back in coverage right? he would be blitz almost every down like Freeney did or Suggs did in Baltimore, Pagano is a smart man he would know how to use Okafor

you do know he stood up his fair at Texas right and we would not be drafting our pass rushing 3-4 DE/OLB to drop back in coverage right? he would be blitz almost every down like Freeney did or Suggs did in Baltimore, Pagano is a smart man he would know how to use Okafor

Yes, I'm sure Pagano would know how to use him, but it's just my opinion from what I've seen of him, that he isn't 1st rd. material. I think he can be an average player, a guy that makes you think, "He's a fine player, but never going to be spectacular'. If we do somehow end up drafting him, I'll hope that I'm wrong about him, but nothing jumps out at me watching film on him.

BTW, I felt that way before Mayock said what he did about him. I started paying more attention when I seen others keep talking him up, but even after starting to pay more attention, I couldn't find anything on film that made me change my mind on him. Mayock just kind of confirmed my own suspicions on him.

Its pretty simple, Mayock wasn't raving about Okafor, I trust Mayocks opinion more then any others I can think of off the top of my head but Okafor clearly showed he can play standing up as a 3-4 pass rush DE/OLB in my opinion, Its not like he is going to dropped back in coverage 20 times a game, Freeney no Suggs rarely were, I'd expect him to rush the passer the majority of snaps, thats what we would be drafting him for not for him to consistently drop back in coverage and waste his pass rushing talents

The only person I've heard rave about Okafor is you

Umm would a team seriously give us their 2nd, their 3rd and their 5th for our 1st and our 6th?  

I'd love that trade if it where to happen.  But I seriously doubt, especially in this draft that we would get that kind of a deal for our 1st rounder.  

Indy resigns CB Powers, LB Fokou, DE Moala, OT/G Reitz, McAfee P

Indy signs FA...

CB Antoine Cason

OG Louis Vasquez

SS William Moore

OLB Killeen

WR Kelley

Trades 1st, 6th, 7th round picks: For 2,3,5th.

1. TRADE

2. Warford G or Frederick G or Watson RT

3. Slay DB or Winters G

3. Lemonier OLB or Swearinger FS

4. Bostic or Collins OLB

5. Hughes DT or Nixon G or Joe Kruger DE or Wagner RT

6. TRADE

7. TRADE

I'm not crazy about Okafor either, and I think there are lots of other players who would both fit our system and turn out better than aren't getting a ton of recognition who we could pick up if we traded up in the 3rd, or could still fall to us in that round- Chase Thomas, Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, and Brandon Jenkins

If you are going to re sign powers then there's no point to draft mathieu in the third. I prefer a scenario where we sign butler for nickel and use that third pick on, I'm just throwing out names, darick Rogers, maybe a center or knile Davis

If you are going to re sign powers then there's no point to draft mathieu in the third. I prefer a scenario where we sign butler for nickel and use that third pick on, I'm just throwing out names, darick Rogers, maybe a center or knile Davis

Knife Davis would be a huge reach in the 3rd. They guy is injury prone dating back to high school and fumbles a TON

I used to think we were getting a RB, but that was before the FA market all but dried up.  That puts more emphasis on who we draft now and RB is not the most needed.  

??? When did the free agent market dry up?

Going with the new grades handed out by NFL.com

1.Damontre Moore

3.Margus Hunt

4.Hugh Thornton

6.Braden Wilson, Tommy Bohanon, Kyle J

7.Tyrone Goard or Joe Vellano

Why do you go by nfl.com? For all we know Rich Eisen does those rankings

I like Hugh Thorton though...but he has a lot of baggage

If Xavier Rhodes is available at #24 I would take him, otherwise I would trade down. I would rather see us get a #5 in 2013 and a #2 in 2014.

In trading to the early 2nd, I would look at the following group: Quinton Patton WR, DeAndre Hopkins WR, Jesse Williams DT, Sylvester Williams DT, or Kyle Long OT. Patton and Hopkins have the ability to be great receivers in this league. It would be nice to get another young WR to learn from Wayne and develop rapport with Luck. It is a deep defensive line draft class so one will definitely be there in the early 2nd. I would love Datone Jones in the early 2nd but it seems like he is a first rounder.

In the 5th round pick that we would acquire, I would look at Stepfan Taylor. I realize his 40 time was not great, but he is a solid RB. He reads blocks well and runs hard. I think he will surprise with his production in the NFL and he would pair well with Ballard.

Why do you go by nfl.com? For all we know Rich Eisen does those rankings

I like Hugh Thorton though...but he has a lot of baggage

I'd rather go by people that eat sleep and study football and are willing to go on camera and talk about it rather then just some mock draft site or some site where supposed draft experts can claim anything, its not an exact science no matter how you look at it. The NFL Draft Advisory hand out those grades that are on NFL.com from everything I have read 

I'd rather go by people that eat sleep and study football and are willing to go on camera and talk about it rather then just some mock draft site or some site where supposed draft experts can claim anything, its not an exact science no matter how you look at it. The NFL Draft Advisory hand out those grades that are on NFL.com from everything I have read 

I wasn't questioning the people at nfl.com who put their name on it...I was questioning who does their draft tracker grades