Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc FA/Draft 3.0 (Pre-combine Edition)

FA:

- OG Louis Vasquez (5 years/25 million)

- Very good all-around guard, good run and pass  blocker.  Gives the Colts good size at guard and helps us transition to our power running game, also can help keep Luck off the turf…which is a good thing.

- OG Geoff Schwartz (4 years/10 million)

- Played sparingly in Minnesota, but when he was able to get in he showed that he can be a good guard.

- DT/DE Desmond Bryant (4 years/18.5 million)

- Has great size to be 3-4 DE (6-6, 311), can rush the passer.  Very solid starter opposite of Redding.

- DT/DE Ricky Jean-Francois (4 years/9 million)

- Coming off of his rookie contract and has improved each season.  Can play all spots along the line, but projects best as a 3-4 DE.  Would be a solid addition for our DL rotation.

- CB Greg Toler (4 years/10 million)

- Good nickel and dime corner, paired with Butler and Vontae could be a great rotation.  Has a lot of potential, was just buried behind Arizona’s other corners.

- OLB Anthony Spencer (4 years/35 million)

- Not sure if the Colts will be able to attain him, but a very good OLB with ties to Indiana.  Would help Colts get pressure on the QB and also good against the run.

- SS George Wilson (2 years/4 million)

- Very solid SS from Buffalo, PFF highest rated SS, age is a concern (31), but a much better option than Ed Reed.  2 years seems like just the right amount of time to keep him signed.

TOTAL:
$27.6 million/year

DRAFT:

- ROUND 1:  Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

- Size:  6-0, 185 lbs.

- 2012 Stats:  36 Tackles, 4.5 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 1 Int., 8 PD

- “Legacy pick with NFL size and athleticism. Very good short-area foot quickness, mirrors receivers on the outside on double moves up the sideline or quick out routes. Capable of playing either outside or in the slot. Has speed to run with better receivers. Plays a lot of press-bail but has length and tenacity in coverage. Regularly rips off and out-quicks receiver blocks to get into position to make plays. Competes for the ball in the air and won’t back down from physical challenges from receivers.” (nfl.com)

- ROUND 3:  Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State

- Size:  6-3, 260 lbs.

- 2011 Stats:  41 Tackles, 12 TFL, 8 Sacks, 1 PD

- “Possesses very good initial quickness, eats up grass with long strides, and has the flexibility to turn the corner as a pass rusher. Has length and upper-body strength to rip off blocks and throw quarterbacks and running backs to the ground. Also displays the power to get lesser linemen on their heels. Not contact-shy playing the run, will stick his shoulder to keep leverage against single blocker and double teams to hold the line.” (nfl.com)

- ROUND 4:  Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina

- Size:  6-6, 320 lbs.

- “Tall tackle with an athletic build, but with some strength in his arms and girth in the
lower body. Shows bend in his three-point stance and a solid get-off in spite of his height. Extreme length allows him to ride defensive ends around the pocket or stop them cold if they try the inside lane. Good punch on first contact knocks ends off their routes. Flashes movement skills behind the line of scrimmage on pulls. Uses natural bend and strong hands to hit and sustain stationary targets at the second level and in the open field. Comes off the ball hard and stays with run blocks throughout the play, moving his feet and extending, sometimes taking his man to the ground.” (nfl.com)

- ROUND 6:  Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

- Size:  6-4. 212 lbs.

- 2012 Stats:  97 Receptions, 1408 Yards, 18 TDs

- “Good height to be a solid possession receiver at the next level, has enough size to shield defenders on slants. Reliable hands, wins jump balls in traffic and snatches the ball away from his frame whether tracking it over his shoulder or facing the quarterback. Not afraid to go over the middle, and can turn and run if hit in the soft spot of a zone. Flashes the flexibility and body control to adjust to high and low throws, as well as those behind him. Used on bubble screens and fly sweeps despite his size, has the agility to make a man miss after the catch.” (nfl.com)

- ROUND 7:  Taimi Tutogi, FB, Arizona

- Size:  6-1, 260 lbs.

- “Thick but very athletic fullback with the overall skill set to contribute in multiple ways in the NFL. Very good at targeting the opposition’s inside shoulder, forcing the defender to side step away or be sealed off from the running lane. Patient in pass protection, does not lunge. Consistently delivers solid first contact. As a receiver, the outlet line looks just like it would when run blocking, nice disguise. Capable ball carrier, focused on straight ahead runs. Subtly makes defenders miss in the hole and absorbs contact to continue to churn legs for extra yards. Even flashes seeing backside lane on slanting runs. Is not glued to one pass rusher when protecting the pocket, good at handing off and helping. Does not mind going over the pile at the goal line.” (nfl.com)

I like it, a lot in fact. That's probably too cheap for Spencer. I'm not a fan of the Wilson signing and don't think we'll need RJF if we sign Bryant. I would love to get one of the big time safeties in FA Goldson/Moore, but if we can't I would say a 1/2 year stopgap would do and we can look for someone in the draft.

Yeah not totally sure who the colts would sign, just what I would love to see. 7 isn't that bad considering they sign atleast that many last year when we had about 40 million less to spend.

And wilson would be more of a stop gap til we can a quality ss, cyprien would be my first choice but unless we draft him in the first he will not be there.

And lastly the signing of RJF is for depth purposes, you can never have enough quality d-lineman. Moala went down and knows when he'll be back and if he'll be the same player.

6 Things I'd change

1.I'd draft Okafor in round 1

2.I'd draft Travis Frederick in round 3

3.I'd pick up either Desmond Bryant OR Alan Branch and not Francois

4.Since I'd draft Frederick I would not sign Schwartz but I'd definitly sign Vasquez

5.I'd sign either Laron Landry or William Moore at SS

6.in Wilsons place I'd add Tracey Porter or Brent Grimes or Sam Shields

Not bad, but I'm not sure the colts sign 7 free agents. Would rather see the colts sign a FA corner and go John Hankins/kawaan short in the first. A front line of Bryant Chapman Hankins could be deadly

Wouldn't wanna lose the leadership of Redding on the front line though. Like the Hankins pick but i would probably play him more at NT than end, so i would put the line as.

Bryant    -    Hankins    -    Redding

I like that line. 

Wouldn't wanna lose the leadership of Redding on the front line though. Like the Hankins pick but i would probably play him more at NT than end, so i would put the line as.

Bryant    -    Hankins    -    Redding

I like that line. 

I was thinking more towards the future....redding won't be around much longer