Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Watched Super Bowl 39 (Pats/Eagles) for the first time

buffalo34

You keep harping on this. What else did you want Goodell to do? The Pats admitted they did it and turned over the tapes. He reviewed them and then handed out the heaviest fine ever. As a Pats fan, I wish he did take more time and let the noise quiet a little before making an example out of the Pats. A first round pick was ridiculous in my opinion. Hurts the org for 5-10 years. The saints are a whole different ball of wax that you do not seem to want to discuss at all. They were trying to injure players, Goodell knew, warned them, and then they lied to his face. There is no comparison between the two violations and how each org handled them. NONE. When will you acknowldge this and stop with your blind Pats hate?

Goodell did what he had to do, I guess. I think the point is that unfortuanely these Championships will always be under a bit of a cloud. I don't really hate the Pats, but if I had to hate a team it would probably be the Steelers. I didn't create this controversy, Bellichick did.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect opinions ALWAYS, but...

You don't seem to know a lot about Spygate. The Herald printed an apology and retraction, and were nearly sued by the team for running the article in the first place because they had only a single, unreliable "source." (A disgruntled former employee of the team.)

No offense or disrespect intended. You seem like a smart guy, and one who would want to know that his opinions are based on facts and not half-truths.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/05/15/patriots_lawsuit_against_herald_appears_unlikely/

The Boston Herald's extraordinary front page apology yesterday to the

New England Patriots appeared to defuse the threat of a potentially

damaging lawsuit by the team over the paper's erroneous report that a

Patriots employee videotaped their opponent's practice before the 2002

Super Bowl...

It would have been nice for the NFL to get to talk to this Walsh character more in depth. Walsh told the New York Times in 2008: "Belichick and Walsh never discussed the taping of opponents signals. That fell to Ernie Adams, Belichick's right hand man, and mysterious assistant.I had always been a big Patriots fan. I wasn't going to question what they wanted me to do. The taping felt wrong, and that notion was reinforced by his supervisor Jimmy Dee, who told Walsh to keep the videotaping quiet." We know Walsh was afraid of legal action against him, but it would not be a stretch to say if they were video-taping signals, they could have possibly been taping a walk through. We'll never know the whole truth, but it's an interesting story.

It would have been nice for the NFL to get to talk to this Walsh character more in depth. Walsh told the New York Times in 2008: "Belichick and Walsh never discussed the taping of opponents signals. That fell to Ernie Adams, Belichick's right hand man, and mysterious assistant.I had always been a big Patriots fan. I wasn't going to question what they wanted me to do. The taping felt wrong, and that notion was reinforced by his supervisor Jimmy Dee, who told Walsh to keep the videotaping quiet." We know Walsh was afraid of legal action against him, but it would not be a stretch to say if they were video-taping signals, they could have possibly been taping a walk through. We'll never know the whole truth, but it's an interesting story.

Walsh and the NFL did talk in depth. Again...please please PLEASE do your research when trying to make claims about a topic you clearly have been fed much too much misinformation about.

Nearly six months after the incident, the Boston Herald reported, citing an unnamed source, that the Patriots had also videotaped the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI in February 2002, an allegation denied by Belichick and later retracted by the Herald. Meanwhile, Matt Walsh, a Patriots video assistant in 2001 who was fired after the team's 2002 season, told the media the same week that he had information and materials regarding the Patriots' videotaping practices, but demanded an indemnity agreement before speaking with the NFL.

The NFL reached a deal with Walsh on April 23, 2008 and arranged a meeting between Goodell and Walsh. Prior to the meeting, Walsh sent eight videotapes, containing opponents' coaches' signals from the 2000 through 2002 seasons, in accordance with the agreement. Goodell and Walsh met on May 13, 2008, at which time Walsh told Goodell he and other Patriots employees were present at the Rams' walkthrough to set up video equipment for the game but that there was no tape of the walkthrough made; as a result, Goodell told the media no additional penalties would be brought against the Patriots. Less than 24 hours later, the Herald issued an apology for the article about the alleged walkthrough tape.

This is the problem with Spygate discussions...there's just so much misinformation going around about it, and for some reason the fans that seem to be the most upset about it or are the loudest about it also happen to be the ones who know the least about it.

Walsh and the NFL did talk in depth. Again...please please PLEASE do your research when trying to make claims about a topic you clearly have been fed much too much misinformation about.

Nearly six months after the incident, the Boston Herald reported, citing an unnamed source, that the Patriots had also videotaped the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI in February 2002, an allegation denied by Belichick and later retracted by the Herald. Meanwhile, Matt Walsh, a Patriots video assistant in 2001 who was fired after the team's 2002 season, told the media the same week that he had information and materials regarding the Patriots' videotaping practices, but demanded an indemnity agreement before speaking with the NFL.

The NFL reached a deal with Walsh on April 23, 2008 and arranged a meeting between Goodell and Walsh. Prior to the meeting, Walsh sent eight videotapes, containing opponents' coaches' signals from the 2000 through 2002 seasons, in accordance with the agreement. Goodell and Walsh met on May 13, 2008, at which time Walsh told Goodell he and other Patriots employees were present at the Rams' walkthrough to set up video equipment for the game but that there was no tape of the walkthrough made; as a result, Goodell told the media no additional penalties would be brought against the Patriots. Less than 24 hours later, the Herald issued an apology for the article about the alleged walkthrough tape.

This is the problem with Spygate discussions...there's just so much misinformation going around about it, and for some reason the fans that seem to be the most upset about it or are the loudest about it also happen to be the ones who know the least about it.

Hi dynasty,

I could not agree more. Great post. I think six years later people want to somehow believe there was so much more to spygate than there was. I mean the Pats were doing it in full view of everyone. Belichick pushed the rule and thought he could get away it. He admitted to misinterpreting the rule about camera location. Mangini even said he never thought when he blowed the whistle that it would turn into the mega story it did. What is amazng to me is many want to give the Saints a complete pass on the bounties which IMO is much worse than spygate in its scope and intent not to mention the fact that they were warned, continued to do it and then lied to the commish.

By the way, I love your end signature - the quote from Proel and the "cue the duck boats." Do you mind sending it to me if you can? I cannot copy it out from here. Here is my email: am_44@hotmail.com

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Nadine, February 25, 2013 - meaningless posts
Hidden by Nadine, February 25, 2013 - meaningless posts

um ok. In your view not in everyone else's but whatever makes you sleep well at night. I bet you think the Saints SB is tainted too?

lol.... why so defensive with everyones opinions?? it's ok pal you aren't/weren't on the team(s). . . haha

Edited by shecolt
personal shot
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 25, 2013 - meaningless posts

I'm not crazy about bounties either, but lets review the facts:

1.  Godell told Senator Arlen Spector that Bellichick was engaged in videotaping signals since 2000.

2. For some reasons , the NFL destroyed the materials sent to it on the case.

3. The Boston Heral reported that had also videotaped a practice walk through of the St. Louis Rams prior to Super Bowl XXXVI.

Did he learn his lesson. Fast forward to January 11th 2012. The Broncos had just upset the Steelers at Mile High, and here was Bellicheck hiring ex- Denver coach Josh McDaniels, at the end of the season before the playoff game against Denver.

Fast Forward to this year: Bellicheck storms off the field after the loss to the Ravens, and refuses to grant Shannon Sharpe and CBS and interview. I could go on and on, including the ludicrous Tuck rule call, and the illegal snow plow field goal against Oakland. No, I don't have a good view of New orleans either, to be honest with you.

danggggg!!!!! ohhhhh... scotttteeeem!

love it

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 25, 2013 - meaningless posts

ok, I think you need some persepective on this.

1. A memo in 2006 about location of video equipment on the sideline was sent to all 32 teams not just the Pats because the league believe it was a league-wide problem.

2. The Pats were caught with their equipment on the sideline in week 1 vs. Jets and penalized. They accepted the penalty, apologized, and then hired a team of football experts to study the NFL rulebook to ensure something like that never happens again.

3. The Boston Herald accused the Pats of taping a walk through of the Rams prior to SB 36 and then printed an apology when the tapes came out as Thomas (the reporter) admitted he had no evidence of a taped walk through and that it was based on heresay from a third hand source.

4. Jimmie Johnson said he videotaped signals when he was with the cowboys and that it was a common practice in the NFL.

5. If you believe that Belichick didn't learn the videopractice from Bill Parcells, you are kidding yourself. While I believe Belichick to be a genius, I do not give him credit as the originator of taping signals.

6. My final point and perhaps the most damaging to your whole premise is the Pats record since spygate - they have won more games and scored more points since spygate. Also, the taping of the defensive signals was supposed to help Brady the most and since spygate he was won leage MVP twice - throwing for a record 50 TDs in 2007 and 355 passes without a pick in 2010 becoming the only unanimous league MVP in the history of football. In addition, Bill Belichick won coach of the year those years too, all post spyagte. And right after the Pats got caught, when the everyone was watching them including God himself they went 18-0 and were one flukiest catch in SB history from a perfect season.

7. You can view them as tainted all you want probably because you have a bias and hate the Pats anyways but rest assured your belief is contrary to the wealth of evidence to the contrary.

Separately, there was no snow plow for the Oakland game. I don't know what you are talking about. The Tuck Rule is, well, a rule and has been called the exact same way before and after the Oakland game. I could care less if Belichick ever does a post-game interview. He talked to CBS before the game, at halftime and then gave a 20 minute press conference after the game. The post-game interview on the field of the loser has to be the stupidest idea in all of sports. I mean what is he supposed to say, "yeah, we lost, it sucks." Shannon Sharpe is a baby.

dangggg this is getting goooood!!!!

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, February 25, 2013 - personal shot
Hidden by shecolt, February 25, 2013 - personal shot

I guess the $500,000 fine to Beliichick and $250,000 fine to the Patriots and loss of a #1 pick, were just figments of our imagination, and the Patriots did nothing. The Ravens have beaten the Patriots two of the last three times we played them in the playoffs, and had another win in Baltimore this year. So it's not about bitterness, but the integrity of the game, and the league.. Unfortuately, they have not won another Super Bowl, and that is the measuring stick. No one was crying for the Ravens when Lee Evans choked and dropped a pass, or Billy Cundiff shanked it. As I stated earlier, Ray Lewis will always have to live with that mistake in Atlanta, and no matter how much the Patriots fans try to whitewash the videotaping, it will always be there as part of NFL history.

yeah, im reading all of this and its to the point.. plain and simple "amfootball" is a dork, and his arguments are weak.. it's ok to be humiliated time-time, he needs to let it go... they won 3, lost 2, and he wasn't on the team.. we know he wishes he were Giselle so he could have Brady's babies, cuz he's biting him hard, but  he needs to let it go... every time someone has an opinion on the Pats and his boo Brady, he come back like some yuppy thinking his thoughts only ones that matter... ADORABLE