Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green Bay Packers to release Charles Woodson (merge)

shakedownstreet

The Green Bay Packers will release 2009's Defensive Player of the YearCharles Woodson, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported.

"They're getting ready to release him. It's part of the business," agent Carl Poston said. "I just talked to him. He sounds like he has a lot of football left.

"He'd like to go play for a contender, win another Super Bowl."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139512/article/green-bay-packers-to-release-charles-woodson

vet min!

Agents never tell the truth.....

at 36 (37 in the fall) why would anyone pick up Woodson..

Next time you see him, he'll be on the NFL Network..with a big smile on his face...

Probably the same reasons someone will pick up Ed Reed. He's still an upgrade over a lot of teams starting CBs/Safeties. 

Ed Reed's not 37..

Woodson is so far over the hill....cows cant find him...

....and he missed most of the 2012 season...He's 37.....and not an upgrade over anyone

Its over.

Woodson is not an upgrade over Cassius Vaughn or Tom Zbikowski? Waitress! I'll have what he's having!

And he's not 37. He's 36. Ed Reed is 34. You really making a stink over two years? They are both old and out of their prime, but being two of the best to ever play the position will surely draw someones attention. If you are right and he's on NFL network, great...but two teams took a shot with a 40+ year old Brett Favre, so it's not unheard of... 

No..he really isnt....FLS......

......certainly not at the price he'll play for...

........you get old..

..Good guy..great career....future NFL Network analyst.....

But no..he isnt any better than Tom Zbikowski ....

Stats disagree with your assessment. Woodson played 4 games less than Zibby, but that stat sheet says Woodson had better production despite the 4 game disadvantage. That's not including the fact that it was a brand new position for him. 

I'm not saying we should go after him, I'm saying you're wrong that he's done. IS done and SHOULD BE done are two different things. If he announces his retirement and I see him on NFL network i'll publicly apologize for my obvious delusions. :)

He should be an upgrade to many team's starting secondary, but two things: 1. how much he is asking for 2. can he stay healthy

Good points to consider. I think he knows he's not going to be worth much, but he wants another ring. I'm guessing he'll play for a contender at a discount. I'm not concerned about his health. The last time he missed a chunk of season like this was in 2005. 

Stats disagree with your assessment. Woodson played 4 games less than Zibby, but that stat sheet says Woodson had better production despite the 4 game disadvantage. That's not including the fact that it was a brand new position for him. 

I'm not saying we should go after him, I'm saying you're wrong that he's done. IS done and SHOULD BE done are two different things. If he announces his retirement and I see him on NFL network i'll publicly apologize for my obvious delusions. :)

Fair enough..If he starts even one game this fall, even in the CFL.....I'm wrong...and I'll be here so you can tell me

Good points to consider. I think he knows he's not going to be worth much, but he wants another ring. I'm guessing he'll play for a contender at a discount. I'm not concerned about his health. The last time he missed a chunk of season like this was in 2005. 

At certain age missing a major part of the season becomes a regular thing and this is why many good players decide to retire even when people think they still have plenty left in the tank. About title contender honestly I do not see any for him better than Packers. Maybe he could go to Denver? But I think they already have a Champ Bailey in almost the same situation.

Call me crazy, and I really don't like signing these big name free agents, but Woodson is definitely worth the look. The Colts have a need at safety, and Woodson can still play. Worse comes to worse and he gets injured, Zbi can come in and play.

If healthy, Woodson has a solid impact. Would not be upset if he came to Indy.

Woodson has a bad shoulder and he can't seem to stay healthy, at least that was the case for the past 2 years now.

I agree 100% I'll pass. Age is catching up with him & this league is all about durability & speed. Say No INDY Woodson isn't worth it. Yes, he has a wealth of experience in any secondary, but his body is breaking down a bad fiscal franchise investment. You pay a player based on what they can do for your squad now not what they did in yester year IMO.

Call me crazy, and I really don't like signing these big name free agents, but Woodson is definitely worth the look. The Colts have a need at safety, and Woodson can still play. Worse comes to worse and he gets injured, Zbi can come in and play.

If healthy, Woodson has a solid impact. Would not be upset if he came to Indy.

if healthy Packers don't release him