Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Colts Roster List with Salaries.

Fx Stryker

I think I can help with the dead money. Who do you want to see?

By the way, good stuff here. I've been meaning to make a chart like this.

I was thinking about everyone, lol. That way I can add a chart. That way if you don't like the worth of a player you can see the savings and dead space.

For example like Satele again. How much of his $3M is saved and how much turns to dead cap.

Everyone is a lot. So no rush, or only if you have the time. It's no biggie.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about everyone, lol. That way I can add a chart. That way if you don't like the worth of a player you can see the savings and dead space.

For example like Satele again. How much of his $3M is saved and how much turns to dead cap.

Everyone is a lot. So no rush, or only if you have the time. It's no biggie.

I'm gonna do that, and I'm gonna show pre-June 1 releases and post-June 1 releases.

But for starters, here's Satele: If we release him prior to June 1, 2013, the dead cap hit in 2013 is $2.134m. If we release him after June 1, 2013, the dead cap hit in 2013 is $1.067m in 2013, and $1.067m in 2014. (We could release him prior to June 1 and stipulate it as a post-June 1 release if we wanted, but there's little reason to do that in this or any other case, given our cap situation in 2013.)

If a moderator reads this thread, I think it would be a very good thread to be pinned to the top of the board....    at least through the Free Agency signing period....

Just a thought.....

I was thinking the same thing... Where are those no good mods when you need them???

;)

I'm gonna do that, and I'm gonna show pre-June 1 releases and post-June 1 releases.

But for starters, here's Satele: If we release him prior to June 1, 2013, the dead cap hit in 2013 is $2.134m. If we release him after June 1, 2013, the dead cap hit in 2013 is $1.067m in 2013, and $1.067m in 2014. (We could release him prior to June 1 and stipulate it as a post-June 1 release if we wanted, but there's little reason to do that in this or any other case, given our cap situation in 2013.)

Awesome!

When you finish feel free to use those mod powers, and add that into the OP. :thmup:

Pre June 1   Post June 1Player              2013         2013    2014R. Mathis           11.250       3.750   7.500R. Wayne            5.000        2.500   2.500A. Bethea           1.000         ---     ---A. Luck             18.087       5.024  13.063C. Redding          1.780        0.892   0.892S. Satele           2.134        1.067   1.067A. Vinatieri        1.200         ---     ---D. Brown            0.020         ---     ---A. Castonzo         3.261        2.182   1.079J. Hughes           0.560        0.280   0.280T. Zbikowski        0.684        0.342   0.342M. McGlynn          0.225         ---     ---C. Fleener          1.743        0.581   1.162B. McKinney         0.150         ---     ---B. Ijalana          0.722        0.361   0.361P. Angerer          0.253         ---     ---D. Nevis            0.274        0.137   0.137D. Carter           0.213        0.106   0.106D. Allen            0.528        0.176   0.352K. Conner           0.011         ---     ---T. Hilton           0.396        0.132   0.264J. Lefeged          0.003         ---     ---J. Chapman          0.162        0.054   0.108V. Ballard          0.108        0.036   0.072L. Brazill          0.059        0.020   0.039  (all numbers rounded)

The list above shows the potential dead cap hits of any player on our roster that would trigger a dead cap hit in the event of their release before the end of the 2013 season. If I understand the rule correctly, any release prior to June 1 would result in the full dead cap hit shown above being added to the 2013 payroll. Any release June 1 or after would allow the team to split the dead cap hit between the 2013 payroll and the 2014 payroll, in the amounts shown above.

So really, outside of a handful of players, there are no contracts that would result in notable dead cap hits moving forward. Mathis, Wayne, Luck, Redding, Castonzo and Fleener aren't in danger of being released in 2013. Satele could be, and there's an outside chance Vinatieri could be. That's all the players with seven digit dead cap hits.

The rest of the players under contract right now have no signing bonuses being amortized against our cap. Some were claimed off waivers or traded (V. Davis), in which case the signing bonus they were given on their contract has been fully amortized toward the team that signed them in the first place. Others weren't given a signing bonus to begin with (J. Freeman). Others may have received a small signing bonus, but were already waived by our team and then reclaimed and placed on injured-reserved (G. Whalen, B. Ijalana), in which case, the signing bonus has already been fully amortized against our cap in a previous season. (I included Ijalana on the above list because the site I used to compile this still has his full contract on our books, but the way I understand the waiver rules, his signing bonus was amortized in 2012, and the final year of his contract is voided.)

If you see any errors in the above list, keep them to yourself. ;)

Edited by Superman

The Colts have more dead money than you listed. They rolled Brackett's dead money over to this year. Now when I started looking for a source other than my memory, I found a site that listed the dead money under Hayden. Anyone else remember this or have a better source?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529181

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AitebXy3IGRAdGJfWlNrdWx0VGF1NTRWcVdTSWRBV2c#gid=0

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/

The Colts have more dead money than you listed. They rolled Brackett's dead money over to this year. Now when I started looking for a source other than my memory, I found a site that listed the dead money under Hayden. Anyone else remember this or have a better source?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529181

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AitebXy3IGRAdGJfWlNrdWx0VGF1NTRWcVdTSWRBV2c#gid=0

I don't know if this was directed toward me or the OP, but I did just think of something that is wrong with at least some of my numbers: I didn't account for guaranteed salaries. For instance, Andrew Luck's contract is fully guaranteed, so if we were to release him, his entire remaining $18m gets accelerated onto the 2013 cap. As a post June 1 release, it could be split, $5m on the 2013 cap, and the remaining $13m on the 2014 cap.

Of course, he won't be released. But those are the more accurate numbers.

Castonzo's first three years were guaranteed, so his release would accelerate his 2013 base salary as well, in addition to the remaining bonus money. His dead money hit in 2013 would be $3.261m. A post June 1 release would result in a 2013 dead cap hit of $2.182m, and a 2014 dead cap hit of $1.079m. Just like Luck, Castonzo isn't going anywhere.

There are no future guarantees on Robert Mathis' contract, so I'm not sure why that spreadsheet you linked has his dead hit at $19.25m. Maybe I'm missing something, but that looks like they included the future roster bonuses of $8m, and those should not be included. Or perhaps this was a chart for 2012 and his line wasn't updated.

I don't think anyone else has any notable guarantees on their contracts, so I'd guess that the rest of the numbers are close. I'm editing my post above to reflect the changes on Luck and Castonzo.

Edit: You're right about Brackett, but he's not on my list because my list is specific to players currently under contract. So maybe your post was directed at the OP. 

Also, on Kelvin Hayden, I'm 99% certain his dead money is completely off the books at this point. He was a post June 1 release in 2011, so his dead money was spread out over 2011 and 2012. But we should be free of him in 2013.

Edited by Superman

Edit: You're right about Brackett, but he's not on my list because my list is specific to players currently under contract. So maybe your post was directed at the OP. 

Also, on Kelvin Hayden, I'm 99% certain his dead money is completely off the books at this point. He was a post June 1 release in 2011, so his dead money was spread out over 2011 and 2012. But we should be free of him in 2013.

Ok yeah it was directed to the op just to double check his available cap number. 

I think the one sheet just quoted Hayden instead of Bracket because the numbers match otherwise. Thanks for the info.. it was driving me nuts last night. 

Ok yeah it was directed to the op just to double check his available cap number. 

I think the one sheet just quoted Hayden instead of Bracket because the numbers match otherwise. Thanks for the info.. it was driving me nuts last night. 

That makes sense. It's basically the same number.

I wish I could. This was the best site I found. 

Also did you see the 2012 cap carry over? I didn't know about it until I heard Polian's explaination  on NFL radio tonight.

Looks like we have $3.5m in carry over for 2013. So, according to Spotrac, our cap number is currently $76m. If the cap is $121m, we'll have $45m cap space in 2013. Pending re-signing our own free agents, then full free agency, then the draft.

Based on our projected picks this year, we're looking at a total of just under $4m in cap space for draft picks. This could drastically if we move up in the first round, and would change somewhat if we move down. These are my projections, with room for compensatory picks in between. Nothing scientific, but it would be close either way.

Pick 24: $1.420 

Pick 88: $0.525

Pick 122: $0.493

Pick 194: $0.415

Pick 230: $0.403

Pick 245: $0.402 (compensatory)

Total: $3.658

I wish I could. This was the best site I found. 

Also did you see the 2012 cap carry over? I didn't know about it until I heard Polian's explaination  on NFL radio tonight.

`

Looks like they just added Bracket to that list. As a matter of fact they completely updated everything. I'll have to make the changes when I get home.

I looked through and strictly tried to look for over paid players.  The one that stands out to me is Viny.  He is making like 2 times as much as vontae davis next year and more than Fleener and Allen combined...  

I was reading another thread with Pat Mac quotes.  He stated he wants to be the first player to punt, kickoff, and kick field goals.  He stated he had been working with Viny and wants to take over field goals when viny retires.  I have heard others kick around this idea but never heard it Pat say he wanted to do it or had been working at it.  Having 1 guy who does all that could free up some money and a roster spot.  I really hope we keep him on board and he takes over for Viny.

I looked through and strictly tried to look for over paid players.  The one that stands out to me is Viny.  He is making like 2 times as much as vontae davis next year and more than Fleener and Allen combined...  

I was reading another thread with Pat Mac quotes.  He stated he wants to be the first player to punt, kickoff, and kick field goals.  He stated he had been working with Viny and wants to take over field goals when viny retires.  I have heard others kick around this idea but never heard it Pat say he wanted to do it or had been working at it.  Having 1 guy who does all that could free up some money and a roster spot.  I really hope we keep him on board and he takes over for Viny.

Vinatieri is overpaid. But I don't think we release him unless the team has their sights set on someone else as the kicker moving forward. And I don't think that's McAfee.

how many draft picks do the colts have?

Five: first, third, fourth, sixth and seventh.

A compensatory pick might be awarded. Could technically be anywhere between the end of the third round to the end of the draft, but more likely would be a sixth or seventh rounder, if we get one at all. Probably won't find out about that until the end of next month.

Five: first, third, fourth, sixth and seventh.

A compensatory pick might be awarded. Could technically be anywhere between the end of the third round to the end of the draft, but more likely would be a sixth or seventh rounder, if we get one at all. Probably won't find out about that until the end of next month.

I think more than likely this pick will be more air ... similar to the 32 year old safety we signed. We signed and lost  too many free agents , they will just shake their heads and move on rather than trying to compute the difference between what we lost and signed. I was thinking a little about the process and wondered if the "process" changes every year. I believe there are 32 picks awarded every year so , it's possible that what might have warrented a pick in 2012 might not get you a pick in 2013. "Process" isn't the right word but you get what I mean.

I think more than likely this pick will be more air ... similar to the 32 year old safety we signed. We signed and lost too many free agents , they will just shake their heads and move on rather than trying to compute the difference between what we lost and signed. I was thinking a little about the process and wondered if the "process" changes every year. I believe there are 32 picks awarded every year so , it's possible that what might have warrented a pick in 2012 might not get you a pick in 2013. "Process" isn't the right word but you get what I mean.

The NFL has never publicized any formula that I've seen, so I have no idea what the "process" is. I know it's basically supposed to give extra picks to teams that lost more than they gained in free agency. But the math behind it evades me. There's a blogger who has come pretty close with his projections the last few years, but I haven't seen anything yet for this season.

I do believe there are only 32 picks every year, but I'm not certain of that.

The NFL has never publicized any formula that I've seen, so I have no idea what the "process" is. I know it's basically supposed to give extra picks to teams that lost more than they gained in free agency. But the math behind it evades me. There's a blogger who has come pretty close with his projections the last few years, but I haven't seen anything yet for this season.

I do believe there are only 32 picks every year, but I'm not certain of that.

If accurate, it sounds like if Freeney would have produced large this year with us letting him walk we could have got a substantial reward from it but since he didn't then nothing comes from the release? If I understand correctly according to your educated guess, I have that right or wrong?

If accurate, it sounds like if Freeney would have produced large this year with us letting him walk we could have got a substantial reward from it but since he didn't then nothing comes from the release? If I understand correctly according to your educated guess, I have that right or wrong?

If I understand correctly, the highest compensatory pick you can get for a veteran of ten years or more is a 5th rounder. In Freeney's case, that wouldn't be rewarded until the 2014 draft, if at all. Any compensatory pick(s) we get in 2013 are based on 2012 free agency.

And if we don't get any in 2013, I doubt we'll get any in 2014. I think we are going to sign more than we lose, particularly those of significant value. I really think the only free agents that are going to leave Indy and do anything are Freeney, Powers, Collie. The only one who will get a significant contract offer will be Freeney. And I could see all three of them having bad years moving forward. So I'm not holding my breath for compensatory picks in 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

To OP: You should update your list to reflect the resigning of Fili Moala (one year, $850k), and the RFA tenders for Cassius Vaughn and Jeff Linkenbach (each at one year, $1.323m), along with the EFA tenders for Josh Gordy (one year, $620k), Martin Tevaseu (one year, $555k), and Joe Reitz (one year, $620k).

None of these contracts would have any cap penalties if terminated before the start of the season.

To OP: You should update your list to reflect the resigning of Fili Moala (one year, $850k), and the RFA tenders for Cassius Vaughn and Jeff Linkenbach (each at one year, $1.323m), along with the EFA tenders for Josh Gordy (one year, $620k), Martin Tevaseu (one year, $555k), and Joe Reitz (one year, $620k).

None of these contracts would have any cap penalties if terminated before the start of the season.

Will do. Soon to be updated.

Resigned Butler. No numbers yet, aside from that it's a two year deal.

Also added Donald Smith, Erik Walden and Lawrence Sidbury. No numbers yet.

Donald Thomas (OG from the Pats), not Donald Smith.