Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive minded Mock

This is my version of what I may do if we by weird chance went primarly offense in the draft, for the record I dont think we will go heavy on the offense this year I expect some resemblance of balance or defensive heavy, with that said....

1.Cordarelle Patterson

3.Larry Warford/Travis Frederick

4.Ryan Swope

5.Kenjon Barner

6.Marcus Lattimore (if by some freak chance he plummits this far do to injury)

7.Dan Buckner

Like I said I dont anticipate an offensive heavy draft, I'd actually be floored if that happened 

Two WRs in our first 3 picks? What exactly would we do with them? Why spend a 4th rounder on a guy who will have to fight just to be the #4 WR in an offense that rarely uses anything more than 3 WRs? And I don't like Patterson.

Swope-possible replacement for Avery if he walks. more competition at wr for Brazill and Whalen(I dont expect Collie to be around come game 1 next year), Patterson #1 potential after Wayne retires or we could just go with Lane Johnson, my idea was to get playmakers if we went offense heavy, I also like Justin Hunter, I debated that to , point being I dont think any 1 wr right now you can say is a clear #1 caliber wr yet because they all need some polishing, but I like Pattersons size and hands, Couple things I question are his route running skills and break away speed

Swope-possible replacement for Avery if he walks. more competition at wr for Brazill and Whalen(I dont expect Collie to be around come game 1 next year), Patterson #1 potential after Wayne retires or we could just go with Lane Johnson, my idea was to get playmakers if we went offense heavy, I also like Justin Hunter, I debated that to , point being I dont think any 1 wr right now you can say is a clear #1 caliber wr yet because they all need some polishing, but I like Pattersons size and hands, Couple things I question are his route running skills and break away speed
So Swope replaces our #2 WR, so what does Patterson do?

we would never draft a wr in the 1st round. we already have wayne,hilton,brazil,fleener, and allen that's good enough. we have to get someone that  can replace freeney and provide consistent pass rush. sam montgomery or dion jordan would fit great opposite mathis.

Sure they would...if they think that WR is a complete stud. But like you, I hope the colts can land a big time pass rusher

This is my version of what I may do if we by weird chance went primarly offense in the draft, for the record I dont think we will go heavy on the offense this year I expect some resemblance of balance or defensive heavy, with that said....

1.Cordarelle Patterson

3.Larry Warford/Travis Frederick

4.Ryan Swope

5.Kenjon Barner

6.Marcus Lattimore (if by some freak chance he plummits this far do to injury)

7.Dan Buckner

Like I said I dont anticipate an offensive heavy draft, I'd actually be floored if that happened 

I suppose as an intellectual exercise,  this is all well and good...   

And, of course, we'll all have a better feel for what may happen after the early FA signing window leading up to the draft....

But 3 WR's?    After last year's draft featuring 2 WR's and 2 TE's, one of which is an over-sized WR himself?     No.   That's  just not happening.

Besides, I doubt either of the guards you have us taking in the 3rd will be there....    4 is too high for Swope,  5 is too low for Barner, and 6 is too low for Lattimore.

I think you over-thought this way, WAY too much....

But, it was fun effort.....      :thmup:

If we draft a RB, I would really love to get Kenjon Barner from Oregon...but if Jonathan Franklin from UCLA is available, he would also be a nice fit on the Colts as well. Lattimore is a beast, but I don't think he'll ever be the same again..Its a shame because the kid is really talented.

Seriously. Am I the only one who'd like at least a position to go along the names? I don't know all players in college football, so just mentioning the names doesn't always do it for me.
What's the point then? Why look at mocks if you don't know the players? Knowing their positions won't make it any better if you don't know the prospects.

I really like the Warford pick but by the Draft he may be our #1 pick for the us to get him

I agree by the time of the draft I dont know if Warford will last until the end of the 3rd. Senior bowl got his stock climbing if it was not already.

Robert Woods is another Reggie Wayne. Like and identical brother or something. seriously,  whoever drafts Woods is getting a Wayne. Solid hands and crisp routes. Remember two years after we drafted the "route runner out of Miami", that two years later he was spoken of as a bust! Heres a slap for those editors!!! Woods is more intruiging than anyone realizes.

What's the point then? Why look at mocks if you don't know the players? Knowing their positions won't make it any better if you don't know the prospects.

Because it's much easier to get an overview of the prospects when knowing their positions and afterwards look them up. There are perhaps 200 players to keep an eye on. Much easier when also pointing out a position. 

Robert Woods is another Reggie Wayne. Like and identical brother or something. seriously,  whoever drafts Woods is getting a Wayne. Solid hands and crisp routes. Remember two years after we drafted the "route runner out of Miami", that two years later he was spoken of as a bust! Heres a slap for those editors!!! Woods is more intruiging than anyone realizes.

The other player I liken to Reggie is Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech.   Just had himself a very, very good Senior Bowl week.  Any chance of him slipping to the Colts in a lower round just flew out the window...    Double darn...

But, it's still early in the process....

Yeah NCF is right I over thought the wr deal

Ill think of something else if we go offense heavy again this draft 

Hey....   no worries!    I love ya, Gavin....   you're a driving force here....    more of this fun stuff is always good.   I like a lot of the same players you do.   Just not sure they fit with the Colts this coming draft and FA period.

I was just tossing out my two cents...   and for some here,  my two cents isn't even worth that!   

It's all good...    keep up the good work!

The other player I liken to Reggie is Quinton Patton from Louisiana Tech.   Just had himself a very, very good Senior Bowl week.  Any chance of him slipping to the Colts in a lower round just flew out the window...    Double darn...

But, it's still early in the process....

I'm intrigued by Quinton Patton after watching some video of him. Very talented!

You can tell his talent is NFL level when Brandon Banks made the statement that

Patton was the best WR he ever faced in college. That's huge considering Banks plays

in the SEC, while Patton plays for La. Tech....

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/patton_quinton00.html

http://youtu.be/9SoSrRGKIp0

Patterson looks talented and has an attitude that looks hungry. Its all potential but I would take this kid on my Team based on what I saw.

Reggie wasn`t known for his route running so much as his "best hands" in the draft.

haha! Wish we had 2 #2`s and 3 #`s.

As we look at our WR`s think a bit about having guys that move the chains, but also about Playmakers who can get it in the end zone. Especially from Inside the Red Zone!