Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AC better Left or Right Tackle?

CardiacColts

With all of the possibilities available to solidify our offensive line, I just wanted to gauge our fan forum interest in which direction to go. For instance, I wouldn't mind seeing Castonzo stay at left and sign a true RT like Volmer or Loadhold; however, the possibility of signing a true LT like Clady or Long and sliding AC to RT intrigues me. So the question is twofold: 1.) Where do you think AC is a more natural fit, left or right tackle? and 2.) What would your IDEAL offensive tackle situation look like? Personally, the easy answer is sign Clady at left and play Anthony Castonzo at right but get creative...

I don't expect Clady to be available...   either re-signed or franchise tagged...

I don't know about Long...  it appears he had a poor season...   but even if he becomes available, I think he's going to want more money than we want to spend...

As to Castonzo,  he played left tackle at BC for 3-4 years...  if we move him, it's possible he'll leave when his rookie contract is up.  Left tackles are paid better than right tackles.   So, by moving him,  we're hurting his earning power.   Unless,  we're willing to pay him as a left tackle while he plays the right side.   And then it gets expensive paying two left tackles.

His run blocking is better than his pass blocking.   But considering how bad our OL was,  I think it's hard to know just how poor his pass blocking is.    So, I'll trust Grigson on this one.   As a former tackle,  the man knows his talent.

I like AC as a left tackle and would prefer a right tackle to be played at right tackle. If we move AC to right tackle I feel he might move on when his rookie contract is up for a LT spot, meaning we have to start again.

Elite linemen cost too much in my opinion I'd rather have Evan Mathis type linemen who are very good but don't demand the money, that way you have a chance of keeping the line together for a number of years and rarely lose your best lineman to free agency.

Something like Castonzo Slauson Shipley Vasquez Cherilus would be what I'd aim for.

AC should stay right where he's at and honestly this question needs to be squashed. AC is going into his 3rd season which is when many O-lineman start to hit their stride. He has done pretty good at LT and there is no doubt he can still improve, but moving him to RT would be a huge mistake. He hasn't played there since his freshman yr. in college(I believe). Moving him now would do nothing but set him back in his progress.

AC should stay right where he's at and honestly this question needs to be squashed. AC is going into his 3rd season which is when many O-lineman start to hit their stride. He has done pretty good at LT and there is no doubt he can still improve, but moving him to RT would be a huge mistake. He hasn't played there since his freshman yr. in college(I believe). Moving him now would do nothing but set him back in his progress.

Agree. With your statement, not your avatar. It's disturbing. Hypnotic, but disturbing.

I am totally on board with you; however, given that I have heard myriad different opinions on the topic I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. I personally would like to see AC stay at left where he has shown progress in his development and go after a load of man for RT. I do really agree with you about the pivotal year 3. The general consensus seems to be that offensive lineman really take off after year 3, so we would be doing ourselves a disservice to not at least see what we have these next couple years. 

I am totally on board with you; however, given that I have heard myriad different opinions on the topic I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. I personally would like to see AC stay at left where he has shown progress in his development and go after a load of man for RT. I do really agree with you about the pivotal year 3. The general consensus seems to be that offensive lineman really take off after year 3, so we would be doing ourselves a disservice to not at least see what we have these next couple years. 

I agree, If we go after a tackle either in free agency or the draft, I'm sure it will be a RT and I also agree on Loadholt, He's my 1st choice if we go the free agent route for a Tackle.

I agree, If we go after a tackle either in free agency or the draft, I'm sure it will be a RT and I also agree on Loadholt, He's my 1st choice if we go the free agent route for a Tackle.

That's what I'm saying. He can be an absolute beast and in the right setting could be a probowler. Yes he has had some issues with penalties, but I'll take a few penalties over a lack of talent when it comes to protecting Luck. Also, penalties can be cleaned up. 

Castonzo pass blocked much worse in year two. 11 sacks! He got left standing still a number of times.

That was pretty shocking to see. If it was because of physical issues and he heals up Great!

Only he and Hopefully our Coaches know. Don`t believe AT ALL he was even near an upper half OT this season.

He looks a little long legged to me, and his footwork doesn`t impress.

Year three should answer the question.

A good probability they can find a RT as late as rd 4.

And I would target the Guard position very seriously.

Of course if Satelle is your man, rots of ruck!

He's one of the better run blocking LTs in the league. He really seemed to be at his best as the year went on especially in pass pro. Next year I feel he'll be a top 7 LT, and moving him to RT would just take him out of his element. Sign a real RT (Vollmer/Cherilus/Smith), a couple good Guards (Vasquez/Schwartz/Moore), and have Shipley start at Center....best Oline ever.