Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

He didn't show me anything against NIU last night...     Buyer beware..

I'll pass.. 

If Bjoern Werner falls, do we still go after OL or do we pick him up? From what I've read, he's the ideal 4-3 DE, so would he not fit in our 3-4 Hybrid Defense? 

I think it's a long-shot for him to fall out of the top half of the draft.

I think he's more suited for a 4-3 DE, but I think I've read he might be able to play the OLB in a 3-4, though I'm not positive about that.    I think so.

For now,  until the combines,  I wouldn't worry about it,  the chances he falls in the mid-20's are slim and none...   about the same as Chance Warmack falling that far.

Gotcha....   another D Free?  

NO THANKS...      

I want a DE / OLB who WANTS to play every down...   not just the money downs.

From what I've read, he specializes in pass rushing. Kind of hard to pass rush, when the opposing QB is never in the pocket, and instead is rushing. He was great all year though.

I think you're right. He looks pretty athletic, but isn't a good fit as a 3-4 OLB. He could be a 3-4 DE, but would need to put on 15-25 pounds. 

and if he did that, That could hurt his speed and athleticism (potentially). I think we pass, Look at Brandon Jenkins or Devin Taylor in the 3rd thats what I would to

What exactly does Freeney do at Rush LB in a 3-4 that Werner could not do? I think he'd be able to set the edge better than Freeney does. They've got game clips of Werner dropped back in coverage batting balls down so I don't think that's the sticking point. I don't think it would be that hard of a transition for him if someone chose him in that role. Just my 2 cents

What exactly does Freeney do at Rush LB in a 3-4 that Werner could not do? I think he'd be able to set the edge better than Freeney does. They've got game clips of Werner dropped back in coverage batting balls down so I don't think that's the sticking point. I don't think it would be that hard of a transition for him if someone chose him in that role. Just my 2 cents

I think he could possibly do all of what you say, setting the edge and dropping back but I am not sure if he has the strength to play at 3/4 DE 3/4 OLB. Love his motor though and he is a pretty good tackler

People make too much out of systems/schemes. He's an edge rusher, pure and simple. Whether you call him a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB is moot. The only difference is that a 3-4 OLB has to cover an underneath zone every once in a while....something even the crappiest of coverage LBs can do.

He won't fall to us anyway.

and if he did that, That could hurt his speed and athleticism (potentially). I think we pass, Look at Brandon Jenkins or Devin Taylor in the 3rd thats what I would to

I honestly don't get the hype behind Taylor. I mean the guy has Clowney playing on the other side of the line, and yet he still wasn't dominant. Clowney nearly always commanded double teams, yet Taylor was never able to take advantage of the countless one-on-ones he got. I'll concede that he has potential and an unbelievably high ceiling (he's built like Dion Jordan), but that differnce between him and Dion Jordan, is that Jordan is/was a playmaker, while Taylor was simply lackluster. Not a fan of his by using any standard. Just don't like the pick/suggestion.

Jenkins, however, is a good pick. 

People make too much out of systems/schemes. He's an edge rusher, pure and simple. Whether you call him a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB is moot. The only difference is that a 3-4 OLB has to cover an underneath zone every once in a while....something even the crappiest of coverage LBs can do.

He won't fall to us anyway.

I completely agree.  I'd like to know by what criteria people are basing their notion that he could be a 4-3 DE only and not a rush LB in a 3-4.  He's an edge rusher but he's also pretty good against the run too so yeah, I'd take him in a heart beat if we could get him but the chances of that are very slim. 

Just a point to consider, a lot of people didn't think that Mario Williams could make the transition to OLB but he did and was still dominant before he got hurt. 

I completely agree.  I'd like to know by what criteria people are basing their notion that he could be a 4-3 DE only and not a rush LB in a 3-4.  He's an edge rusher but he's also pretty good against the run too so yeah, I'd take him in a heart beat if we could get him but the chances of that are very slim. 

Just a point to consider, a lot of people didn't think that Mario Williams could make the transition to OLB but he did and was still dominant before he got hurt. 

Heck, John Abraham converted to a 3-4 OLB this year, and he's been the same dominant edge rusher he's been his previous 10 years. Freeney and Mathis haven't had the same numbers, but they've both had solid years doing what they've always done....although Mathis drops back a little more than I'd have him.

I honestly don't get the hype behind Taylor. I mean the guy has Clowney playing on the other side of the line, and yet he still wasn't dominant. Clowney nearly always commanded double teams, yet Taylor was never able to take advantage of the countless one-on-ones he got. I'll concede that he has potential and an unbelievably high ceiling (he's built like Dion Jordan), but that differnce between him and Dion Jordan, is that Jordan is/was a playmaker, while Taylor was simply lackluster. Not a fan of his by using any standard. Just don't like the pick/suggestion.

Jenkins, however, is a good pick. 

Yeah I been thinking that about Taylor lately, What about Dan Giordano out of Cincinnati in round 6-7(alon with Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd) to develop at 3-4 olb as well, Love his motor but looks a bit slow or should I just stick with WR Buckner

Yeah I been thinking that about Taylor lately, What about Dan Giordano out of Cincinnati in round 6-7(alon with Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd) to develop at 3-4 olb as well, Love his motor but looks a bit slow or should I just stick with WR Buckner

I'd prefer Buckner, and if not that then Patton earlier in the draft.

Aslo, don't the Bearcats run a 4-3 base? That transition can be tough, though not impossible.