Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will this play work? Screen-to-flea-flicker

chad72

We have all seen how many screen passes Arians throws, every game. It is a constant recurring theme.

I have seen this done once by Brady. He throws it to Moss on a quick lateral screen, then Moss throws it back to Brady whose O-line is still protecting him while other WRs are running up ahead. Then Brady unleashes the throw to one of his WRs running ahead.

I can see Ds swarming Reggie once he gets the ball on a screen, then Reggie throws it backward to Luck, and then Luck can hit a streaking TY or Avery up the field.

Would this be the kind of play you would save for the playoffs? Has Reggie ever thrown a pass in Colts history?

Have any of our RBs played QB in high school? You know what I am thinking next (that Joe Addai TD pass in the 49ers game in 2009???) :)

Thoughts???

I have seen this done once by Brady. He throws it to Moss on a quick lateral screen, then Moss throws it back to Brady whose O-line is still protecting him while other WRs are running up ahead. Then Brady unleashes the throw to one of his WRs running ahead

I think that was against the Ravens in 2007. They really needed that play in that game.

It's very risky. Since we have been using this screen pass frequently, I've noticed that the DBs cheat up a little when we're in a bunch formation. They're expecting this play and the receiver may not have enough time to get the ball back to Luck.

It's funny that you mentioned this play because I was thinking of something similar. We have been using the screen pass frequently and it would be great to have Reggie pretend to be the recipient of this type of pass, while the blocking receivers pretend to block, and one of them releases upfield. Luck can fake the pass to Reggie who's behind the LOS and then take a shot deep to the receiver running down the sideline.

I could see it if we're in a defensive struggle kind of game. Moss kinda muffed it and it still worked so I don't see why not.

Good find, that is the exact play I was talking about!!! It depends on whether the WR getting the initial pass is given a bit of space. Yes, it has to be thrown to the other side where more LBs and safeties than CBs exist. It might work best if you save one speedster for the other side.

The weird thing is seeing Addai throw it left handed. You know if the QB is a righty or lefty, but you assume everybody else is right handed. I like the play myself.

Isn't it Vince Wolfork that can throw the ball so far. I know there's a lineman, because the announcers have mentioned during games before.

Good find, that is the exact play I was talking about!!! It depends on whether the WR getting the initial pass is given a bit of space. Yes, it has to be thrown to the other side where more LBs and safeties than CBs exist. It might work best if you save one speedster for the other side.

I thought that was by accident. He couldn't catch it so threw it back to Brady.

The topic of trick plays is a good one. Unless you consider the play to end the Titans game a trick play, we haven't seen one yet, have we? It seems, over the years, Roethlisberger has run more trick plays and unusual type plays than just about anyone in the league.

I saw a sort of trick play twice on Sunday. I can't remember the first team, but the 2nd team was the Giants. Either way, it worked both times.

They fake the handoff to the left, then fake the reverse to the right, then throw a screen pass up the middle to a wide open receiver for a pretty big gain. I'd like to see us use that.

its not a good play to call concidering our OLine is not so great. sounds good though

Color me confused... Brady takes the snap and immediately throws it out to Moss. At that point, the defense shifts their focus to the new ball carrier, Moss, and head out that way. He throws it back, and then Brady heaves it down the field.

In that span of time, you have 3-4 300lb+ linemen shifting their direction twice. That takes time.

Good oline or not, I dunno how much that matters. What matters is having a good enough receiver to make that a threat. I think a play like that could work, but I'd guess we're going to need to sell that screen big time. I'd find it difficult to pick a time to use such a play when we're likely better off letting our QB go to work, but, it certainly could provide a spark. It could also be a major flop. Who knows.