Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Devan Cut/signed As Starter With Eagles (Merged)

CCH

None of this post is true. Well, you may watch tape but you don't understand what you are seeing.

Coffee we have had these conversations for 2 1/2 years you don't like Devan, & you do like Pollack. Say what you want but the facts are the facts. The Colts have been the the playoffs the last 2 years, the Colts have won 24 games the last 2 years. Devan has started 20 plus games the last 2 years. He has beaten out both Pollack & Richards the last 2 years. Yet Richards & Pollack make the team. Hum Something smalls fishy. This site has been down the last few days here. There is another site called Coltclique.com with alot of the old members & some cross overers like me. Most very knowledgeable & Devan gets much more love there. I predicted it on there site that The Eagles & Howard Mud would pick up Devan, why because one of the best OL coaches in the country LIKES DEVAN why because he is a pretty good player who gives you all he's got!!! Metsalaers doesn't like him evidenced by Richards stating last year :slaphead: we saw how that train wreck worked out. & you don't like him. Ya for me predicting it. Bad for the Colts though because by making this move they just made our OL worse right now not better, to go along with all the Colt problems we don't need issues that could have been taken care of by cutting Richards & keeping Devan. God please let the tackles play well & have no injuries on the OL or we are in BIG TROUBLE. As for watching tape its pretty easy when you know what you are doing, we have both played ball, as talked about in previous discussions, an even easier when you don't have an agenda, or bias towards an individual player to knit pick every last thing they do wrong or cloud or ignore the positives of there play. I have done it my self, but try to have an open mind. I tried to last year with Pollack. After some very poor play by him, last year I think he was good & of our better linemen he should not have lost hes job, He should be starting now with Diem, ah but what do I know? Nothing other than Devan shouldn't been cut, The Eagles see him as a good player, Mudd see's hes value. Good luck Kyle you deserved better here. :coffee:

Coffee we have had these conversations for 2 1/2 years you don't like Devan, & you do like Pollack. Say what you want but the facts are the facts. The Colts have been the the playoffs the last 2 years, the Colts have won 24 games the last 2 years. Devan has started 20 plus games the last 2 years. He has beaten out both Pollack & Richards the last 2 years. Yet Richards & Pollack make the team. Hum Something smalls fishy. This site has been down the last few days here. There is another site called Coltclique.com with alot of the old members & some cross overers like me. Most very knowledgeable & Devan gets much more love there. I predicted it on there site that The Eagles & Howard Mud would pick up Devan, why because one of the best OL coaches in the country LIKES DEVAN why because he is a pretty good player who gives you all he's got!!! Metsalaers doesn't like him evidenced by Richards stating last year :slaphead: we saw how that train wreck worked out. & you don't like him. Ya for me predicting it. Bad for the Colts though because by making this move they just made our OL worse right now not better, to go along with all the Colt problems we don't need issues that could have been taken care of by cutting Richards & keeping Devan. God please let the tackles play well & have no injuries on the OL or we are in BIG TROUBLE. As for watching tape its pretty easy when you know what you are doing, we have both played ball, as talked about in previous discussions, an even easier when you don't have an agenda, or bias towards an individual player to knit pick every last thing they do wrong or cloud or ignore the positives of there play. I have done it my self, but try to have an open mind. I tried to last year with Pollack. After some very poor play by him, last year I think he was good & of our better linemen he should not have lost hes job, He should be starting now with Diem, ah but what do I know? Nothing other than Devan shouldn't been cut, The Eagles see him as a good player, Mudd see's hes value. Good luck Kyle you deserved better here. :coffee:

I never have had a bias or an agenda against Devan. He is just not a very good guard and I find it hilarious that just because I don't think he's a good guard and I point out the things he does that show he's a bad guard, people such as yourself have to act like I have some sort of . I'm glad Mudd is giving him another chance, and like I've stated numerous teams base their information on 10 times the information I do that is why I don't get upset or claim the team made a mistake when they don't do what I think they should, but I don't expect much to come of it.

Lastly, I have stated numerous times, even though I supposedly hate Devan, that he is a descent pass blocker but a horrible run blocker. Which explains why Metz does not like him and Mudd does. Metz is looking to beef up the run blocking, whereas Mudd puts a huge premium on pass blocking and little on run blocking.

I never have had a bias or an agenda against Devan. He is just not a very good guard and I find it hilarious that just because I don't think he's a good guard and I point out the things he does that show he's a bad guard, people such as yourself have to act like I have some sort of . I'm glad Mudd is giving him another chance, and like I've stated numerous teams base their information on 10 times the information I do that is why I don't get upset or claim the team made a mistake when they don't do what I think they should, but I don't expect much to come of it.

Lastly, I have stated numerous times, even though I supposedly hate Devan, that he is a descent pass blocker but a horrible run blocker. Which explains why Metz does not like him and Mudd does. Metz is looking to beef up the run blocking, whereas Mudd puts a huge premium on pass blocking and little on run blocking.

Given how muh we pass the ball, hopefully he works out for us, though I don't expect him to start right away. Is he a RG or LG?

Given how muh we pass the ball, hopefully he works out for us, though I don't expect him to start right away. Is he a RG or LG?

He has played both, that is something Mudd expects... he expects his tackles to be able to play either side and he expects his interior guys to be able to play all interior positions.

If you want an honest assessment of DeVan, here it is. His best attribute is he plays with a mean streak, so he is tenacious. When pass blocking he has good balance and good form but he's not real strong and he will give up a lot ground on longer pass plays, usually 3-4 yards, He is horrible at run blocking, if there is a guy lined up over him, he's not strong enough to move him far. If he has to get outside the phone booth he will more often than not end up on the ground before he blocks his guy. I don't grade out players every game but the games where I graded the olineman, he usually was in the 82-85% range.

He has played both, that is something Mudd expects... he expects his tackles to be able to play either side and he expects his interior guys to be able to play all interior positions.

If you want an honest assessment of DeVan, here it is. His best attribute is he plays with a mean streak, so he is tenacious. When pass blocking he has good balance and good form but he's not real strong and he will give up a lot ground on longer pass plays, usually 3-4 yards, He is horrible at run blocking, if there is a guy lined up over him, he's not strong enough to move him far. If he has to get outside the phone booth he will more often than not end up on the ground before he blocks his guy. I don't grade out players every game but the games where I graded the olineman, he usually was in the 82-85% range.

Thanks.

GOOD ENOUGH TO GET A CHANCE, with a HUM VERY QUIETLY upper quality TEAM,,,,,,,,,,, YEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

This is true, that Devan can pass block, but he is a better run blocker than sateed you just got a pretty good guard!!!!!!!!

I hope so, but it's moot for the time being since he likely won't start unless our first round pick, Danny Watkins, or new LG Even Mathis struggles.

Came as a bit of a surprise, but it's necessary. Our first round pick simply isn't ready yet.

Your going to love him, he is not perfect, as most players aren't, but is a good pass blocker, can run block, very good at angles, will miss an assignment occasionally, but will give everything he's got on every play. He was 1 of my favorite Colts.Can be a little nasty sometimes too. :eagles:

Your going to love him, he is not perfect, as most players aren't, but is a good pass blocker, can run block, very good at angles, will miss an assignment occasionally, but will give everything he's got on every play. He was 1 of my favorite Colts.Can be a little nasty sometimes too. :eagles:

Good to hear. Our line was terrible last year, and has been poor this preseason. We already had 2 rooks starting, but Watkins simply isn't ready right now. I hope our center, Kelce is, but if not, we at least have our veteran backup there waiting to go in.

So he got the start over one of two rookies? Good for him.

On a playoff team!! Yes good for him!! He started hear against all odds 21 ball games, Playoffs & a super bowl, with most of them wins, giving a workman's type of performance for the most part. He should be Colts starting guard. Yea not bad for a week or less in Philly :td:

I wish him well too - I'll always remember that Oakland game where he got poked in the eye then promptly came back and pancaked the mod edit next play!

DeVan is the type of player who is easy to root for - a hard-working underdog who overachieves. As an Eagles fan it will probably be fun watching Eagles practices to see him go head-to-head against his old wrestling buddy from high school at DT

That is a bit of a shocker, to think that none of the people on the eagle's depth chart could beat out a guy that we let go. I think it may be another sign of cutting a guy who maybe deserves a place on this roster. I think he has a much better chance of helping our team this year than Richard does. I fully expect he would have started some games for us this year

I wish him well too - I'll always remember that Oakland game where he got poked in the eye then promptly came back and pancaked the mod edit next play!

DeVan is the type of player who is easy to root for - a hard-working underdog who overachieves. As an Eagles fan it will probably be fun watching Eagles practices to see him go head-to-head against his old wrestling buddy from high school at DT

Funny thing is, their lockers are right next to each other. From all accounts, they have renewed that "rivalry" already.

On a playoff team!! Yes good for him!! He started hear against all odds 21 ball games, Playoffs & a super bowl, with most of them wins, giving a workman's type of performance for the most part. He should be Colts starting guard. Yea not bad for a week or less in Philly :td:

he made the dream team, superbowl bound!

Well, he was cut from a playoff team so I guess it evens out. Of course he went to a playoff team that had two rookie guards for their starters and per eaglejoe an o line that is not very good.

Well, he was cut from a playoff team so I guess it evens out. Of course he went to a playoff team that had two rookie guards for their starters and per eaglejoe an o line that is not very good.

Not that it changes much, but one rookie is our center, 6th round pick, Jason Kelce. We moved Todd Herremans from LG to RT, and Even Mathis is now our LG. Aside from putting Jamaal Jackson back at center, it's probably the best O-Line combination we can go with, although it also means this lineup will not have played a single snap together until we get to St Louis.

Not that it changes much, but one rookie is our center, 6th round pick, Jason Kelce. We moved Todd Herremans from LG to RT, and Even Mathis is now our LG. Aside from putting Jamaal Jackson back at center, it's probably the best O-Line combination we can go with, although it also means this lineup will not have played a single snap together until we get to St Louis.

Stupid NFL depth chart. I did not know any of that, thanks for the info. So Devan will play RG? That is what he played for the Colts all preseason so it won't be new for him.

I have game rewind from NFL.com and I plan on watching a few Eagles games. I a huge Howard Mudd fan and I am very interested to see what he does with the oline with a mobile/running QB. His big philosophy is to act like the QB is a basketball goal and the lane is the pocket. That is why he likes athletic lineman. But, with the Colts he did not have a basketball goal that could move around the court like a racecar. :)

Stupid NFL depth chart. I did not know any of that, thanks for the info. So Devan will play RG? That is what he played for the Colts all preseason so it won't be new for him.

I have game rewind from NFL.com and I plan on watching a few Eagles games. I a huge Howard Mudd fan and I am very interested to see what he does with the oline with a mobile/running QB. His big philosophy is to act like the QB is a basketball goal and the lane is the pocket. That is why he likes athletic lineman. But, with the Colts he did not have a basketball goal that could move around the court like a racecar. :)

Yeah, we're definitely hoping he can revamp our line. One thing I've heard talked about is how Mudd doesn't have the linemen "retreat" on pass plays. He still wants them moving forward being the aggressors which I like to hear. I've always wanted us to run the ball more early in games, for one to keep the defense honest, but also to allow our line to get in a good flow early and play with a mean streak. Hopefully Mudd can get in Reid's ear a bit and get him to run more. It'll help keep Vick healthy and I think it could really benefit a line that's going into a season with no time together.

Yeah, we're definitely hoping he can revamp our line. One thing I've heard talked about is how Mudd doesn't have the linemen "retreat" on pass plays. He still wants them moving forward being the aggressors which I like to hear. I've always wanted us to run the ball more early in games, for one to keep the defense honest, but also to allow our line to get in a good flow early and play with a mean streak. Hopefully Mudd can get in Reid's ear a bit and get him to run more. It'll help keep Vick healthy and I think it could really benefit a line that's going into a season with no time together.

Maybe they should go after ex-Colt Jaime Thomas. He was good enough to block for LeSean McCoy in high school (not that he's a "Mudd" type lineman).

Day 1 post 3 - 17 more to go

Nice to see a fan of another team having civil discussion with us.

So now I can say something horrific and you'll have no recourse but to stew about it for 24 hours. ;)

My brother's in Bedford - partially melted the last time I asked.

I'm an out-of-state fan, but I imagine it being more difficult in Texas. Can you show your colors without abuse?

That is true, somewhat, the tackles will each do a drop step and try to get about a yard deep before they engage the defender but the guards are supposed to drive their guys towards the center, This does two things, one good, one not so good. It creates nice passing lanes for the QB. It also opens nice holes for delayed blitzes. That may not be much of a problem for Vick though.

Also I wouldn't plan on Mudd getting in Reid's ear about running more. I think if Mudd was an OC, he'd have 57 pass plays in the play book and 1 or 2 running plays.

That is true, somewhat, the tackles will each do a drop step and try to get about a yard deep before they engage the defender but the guards are supposed to drive their guys towards the center, This does two things, one good, one not so good. It creates nice passing lanes for the QB. It also opens nice holes for delayed blitzes. That may not be much of a problem for Vick though.

Also I wouldn't plan on Mudd getting in Reid's ear about running more. I think if Mudd was an OC, he'd have 57 pass plays in the play book and 1 or 2 running plays.

In that case, Mudd and Reid may quickly become best friends. lol