Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Devan Cut/signed As Starter With Eagles (Merged)

CCH

Doubt it,pollack was a second rounder and devan{i believe} was a undrafted guy.

They have to be thinking Polack as another backup if not future center, that was what he was drafted for, but to use him on the line asa a guard is horrendous, McGlendon & ijalana must come through for this to make any sense at all, I dont want pollack as a guard

I really do not understand the management's thinking at all. Pollack does not deserve to be on an NFL roster. He has the pedigree (being a 2nd rounder) but that is the only discernible advantage that he has over DeVan, who has consistently outplayed him. The Polian's are loyal to their drafted players, which is to their credit, but they seem incapable of knowing when the cut the cord. That is the only reason that Curtis Painter is still on the team despite being outplayed by Brandstadter last year and Orlovsky this year. He has proven he is not an NFL QB. Its time to move on. Theres no need to even go into the fact that the last 4 first round picks have all been useless. I love the Colts and think that the management did a great job for a long time in building this team. I just hate to see them throw it all away be keep inferior players.

I really do not understand the management's thinking at all. Pollack does not deserve to be on an NFL roster. He has the pedigree (being a 2nd rounder) but that is the only discernible advantage that he has over DeVan, who has consistently outplayed him. The Polian's are loyal to their drafted players, which is to their credit, but they seem incapable of knowing when the cut the cord. That is the only reason that Curtis Painter is still on the team despite being outplayed by Brandstadter last year and Orlovsky this year. He has proven he is not an NFL QB. Its time to move on. Theres no need to even go into the fact that the last 4 first round picks have all been useless. I love the Colts and think that the management did a great job for a long time in building this team. I just hate to see them throw it all away be keep inferior players.

Okay this is the type of post that is frustrating some people right now. The way you put this is stating your opinion as if it's a fact when it's not it's your opinion. There is no problem with that you are very much entitled to your opinion and yes a forum is a great place to share your opinion and it's exactly what it's for. However, when you present your opinion as if it's a fact people are going to attack it like they would a fact that is wrong if they don't agree with your opinion. Then what happens is that someone gets upset and normally says something about how they were just saying their opinion. No you aren't you are stating a fact the way you wrote it. Facts can be proven right or wrong. When you state an opinion it can't be becuase it's an opinion.

It may seem like it's nit picking but I think some of just the anger that seems to be on the forum could be avoided if people would just say my opinion is this or I think this and stopped trying to say their opinion like it's some kinda proven fact.

As for cuts themselves, I think people get so upset abou tthem becuase they have already made up their mind about a player in terms of liking him or disliking him long before final cuts. They then become more interested in their opinion being right than they do objectivaly watching the player over the course of the pre-season. Then when that player is cut or kept if it's not what some people wanted they attack the front office because the front office has in a way said their opinion about a player was wrong. Personally, I am willing to accept the idea that Bill Polian, Chris Polian, and Jim Caldwell knows more about football than I ever will and knows more about these players in terms of seeing them in practive than I ever will and thus they probably know better than anyone here if someone should have been cut or kept. Do they always get it right? No cutting Lilja a couple of years ago looks to be a big mistake. Hanging on to Moorehead as long as they did was a mistake. Still they get it right a lot more than they get it wrong and very rarely do they make the big huge mistake some fans say they make on final cut down days. I mean if you read some of the things said about Tommie Harris you would think the Colts just cut Peyton Manning. I think that's based mostly on people remember he Tommie Harris of about three or four years ago and wanted him to be hat player here. If he was still that player we wouldn't have gotten him as cheap as we did and we sure as heck wouldn't have cut him. It's very possiable he wasn't the player he was anymore.

As for my self in terms of cuts I've seen a guy cut I really wanted to make the roster in Taj Smith and seen a guy apear to make the roster who I didn't think should in Donald Brown. This is just me but I am willing to admit the front office probably knows more than I do and has good reasons for both moves and am I willing to trust them rather than drag up every mistake (while ignoring completely the good moves that have been made over that same time span) that has been made over the past few years to try to say Bill Polian isn't good at his job just because he dumped a player I liked or kept a guy I didn't.

Again this is all my opinion. I'd say it's my two cents but it's probably not even worth that.

Pollack makes the team as backup center. It's pretty easy to figure out. Both Devan and Pollack are poor guards. DeVan has been horrible this preseason, but Pollack has been fine at center. Has anyone noticed Saturday getting blow 5 yards backwards more than once or twice this preseason?

Pollack makes the team as backup center. It's pretty easy to figure out. Both Devan and Pollack are poor guards. DeVan has been horrible this preseason, but Pollack has been fine at center. Has anyone noticed Saturday getting blow 5 yards backwards more than once or twice this preseason?

Yep I think this is Jeff's last year in Indy one way or another. I think Pollack is being kept to be our future at center. I think what you are seeing with Pollack is that he just isn't a guard and might very well be better suited to play his natural college poistion of center.

Saturday is one of my favorite players ever to watch. But he has not looked good this preseason and Pollack has outplayed him. I think some of it may be a conditioning thing but I hope it gets straightened out quickly.

Saturday is one of my favorite players ever to watch. But he has not looked good this preseason and Pollack has outplayed him. I think some of it may be a conditioning thing but I hope it gets straightened out quickly.

Jeff is also one of the genuinely nicest people that I've met so I don't enjoy saying that he is a liability these days.

This is an absolute bullcrap cut. 1 For the people that say DeVan played poorly watch the tape he was his usable OK self. Pollack I don't think outplayed DeVan, but DeVan outplay him NO the same.. Also DeVan can play center as well & played it as good or better than Pollack. Jeff has had a bad pre season especially verse the run. The guy no one mentions is Richards HOW IN THE heck DOES HE MAKE THE TEAM? :no: I watch the Packer game again last night & people were ohing & ahhing Diem's play he was OK at guard , LInk did not look good & IMO by the end of the season Diem will be back at tackle, Because the rookie is not ready. He can run block a little bit, but he's got a lot of work to do on pass blocking. I am sure Coffee is happy, but this is not a good move. Even watching Rietz hes OK long arms help him on pass blocking, but honestly DeVan is better than him. We have left ourselves Dangerously thin at guard especially after the LInk/ Diem experiment FAILS which it will :sarcasm: We have a 35 year old QB coming off neck surgery, & a 38 year back up Statue. A rookie LT. I tell you this are line is worse right now than it was last year & it scares the heck out of me

This is an absolute bullcrap cut. 1 For the people that say DeVan played poorly watch the tape he was his usable OK self. Pollack I don't think outplayed DeVan, but DeVan outplay him NO the same.. Also DeVan can play center as well & played it as good or better than Pollack. Jeff has had a bad pre season especially verse the run. The guy no one mentions is Richards HOW IN THE heck DOES HE MAKE THE TEAM? :no: I watch the Packer game again last night & people were ohing & ahhing Diem's play he was OK at guard , LInk did not look good & IMO by the end of the season Diem will be back at tackle, Because the rookie is not ready. He can run block a little bit, but he's got a lot of work to do on pass blocking. I am sure Coffee is happy, but this is not a good move. Even watching Rietz hes OK long arms help him on pass blocking, but honestly DeVan is better than him. We have left ourselves Dangerously thin at guard especially after the LInk/ Diem experiment FAILS which it will :sarcasm: We have a 35 year old QB coming off neck surgery, & a 38 year back up Statue. A rookie LT. I tell you this are line is worse right now than it was last year & it scares the heck out of me

Clearly the Colts disagree with you and frankly theirs is the only vote that counts.

O line. O line O line. Brian Waters has been out there for some time. I believe former All pro guard with KC. Anyone know if he's injured or why the lack of interest in him. Max-Jean Gilles cut today. I just feel this is another ground hog day where we lament the fact that no more was done to upgrade the o line in off season. Castanzo and Ijalana a great start. However, we need a bullying veteran presence specifically out of the guard position. We don't know for sure what kind of back Donald Brown is or what Delone Carter can be because there is a hole with daylight as often as a lunar eclipse.

Strangely enough I had the impression that Castonzo was a upgrade at LT, Reitz an upgrade at LG, Saturday healthier than at this time last year, Diem an upgrade at RG, and Link a place-holder at RT that may well be sitting down before the end of the season. Pollack and Richard are adequate backups (with Pollack likely the future at center). And considering the roster cuts I wouldn't be surprised if a new player is expected to be added. Last year the roster included at least five people (off the top of my head) who are now gone. Everything considered, I haven't been this optimistic about the O-line since the Super Bowl win.

Coffeedrinker,who watches a lot of tape,said he was awful.Good enough for me.

I don't usually watch the games more than once, but I had to reverse a couple of times on one play in the Cincy game because I couldn't figure out how the RB had gotten mugged so quickly. Turned out that DeVan (playing LG) had vacated his position to give some help to the center. The D waltzed in right behind him uncontested. If that's any indication of his recognition skills it's pretty sad. The fellow he chose not to block was right in front of him. If he consciously left the man for the LT to handle, apparently he didn't notice that the LT was already engaged, with no other Colts in the area.

Coffeedrinker has a hard on for Pollack & a softy for Devan, Take it with a grain of salt & make your own decision! Coffee hasn't liked DeVan since he beat out Pollack 2 years ago. You can watch tape to I do.

Okay I'll trust the Colts since they are the ones who have access to all the practices and video and know things we'll never see and know more about football than anyone on this board and they went with Pollack and Richard over DeVan and McClendon.

Strangely enough I had the impression that Castonzo was a upgrade at LT, Reitz an upgrade at LG, Saturday healthier than at this time last year, Diem an upgrade at RG, and Link a place-holder at RT that may well be sitting down before the end of the season. Pollack and Richard are adequate backups (with Pollack likely the future at center). And considering the roster cuts I wouldn't be surprised if a new player is expected to be added. Last year the roster included at least five people (off the top of my head) who are now gone. Everything considered, I haven't been this optimistic about the O-line since the Super Bowl win.

Castonzo is an upgrade to CJ right now after 4 pre season games????????? Not right now sir. The ONLY upgrade I see right now today is Diem at RG which made our RT position weaker. As the season progresses maybe the others are & upgrade I DON"T see it NOW.

Okay I'll trust the Colts since they are the ones who have access to all the practices and video and know things we'll never see and know more about football than anyone on this board and they went with Pollack and Richard over DeVan and McClendon.

RICHARDS SUCKS NO 2 WAYS ABOUT THAT ONE SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS HOPING TO HAVE SEEN ENOUGH OF THAT TRAIN WRECK.

If he was this bad the Colts wouldn't have kept him. You might not like it but clearly he's not as bad as you want him to be or he would have been cut.

[/quot

The Colts sometimes make mistakes this is one of them. Just like taking McClendon in the 4th RD. Waste of a pick!!!!!!!!!! He wasn't even highly rated could have taken him MUCH lower.

Coffeedrinker has a hard on for Pollack & a softy for Devan, Take it with a grain of salt & make your own decision! Coffee hasn't liked DeVan since he beat out Pollack 2 years ago. You can watch tape to I do.

None of this post is true. Well, you may watch tape but you don't understand what you are seeing.