Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Offers Reason To Worry & Castonzo Says He Needs To Be More Physical

bayone

2 Indy Star Articles

CINCINNATI We're worrying about the wrong people. We're worrying about the quarterbacks, worrying specifically whether Kerry Collins can get up to speed in time for the Indianapolis Colts' Sept. 11 opener in Houston.

Quit worrying.

And focus your concern on the people in front of the quarterback, whether it's Peyton Manning, Collins, Curtis Painter or Jim Harbaugh taking the snaps.

Houston, they have a problem

One week after Jeff Linkenbach struggled against Green Bay, Castonzo had his problems with Cincinnati defensive end Michael Johnson.

And the running game . . . blecch.

During a first half in which the Colts played their front-line offensive linemen, they ran for 2 yards on six carries.

My link

Castonzo says he needs to be more physical

With four positions manned by new starters, the line's members needed the time together and Collins needed the time with them. It showed during the Colts' 17-13 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Like on a pair of plays during the first quarter.

On second-and-8 at the Cincinnati 8, Bengals end Michael Johnson reached over rookie left tackle Anthony Castonzo and got a hand on the football as it left Collins' hand, causing an incompletion.

Then, on a third-and-10 at midfield, Johnson again reached over Castonzo and hit Collins' arm. This time, Johnson caused a fumble recovered by end Frostee Rucker.

On both plays, Castonzo remained engaged and rode Johnson outside and around the pocket, as is his responsibility. On both plays, Collins might have avoided the rush by stepping up.

Castonzo owned his mistakes.

"It really wasn't Kerry's fault. That was 100 percent poor technique on my part," the Colts' first-round draft pick said. "I just need to be more aggressive. I need to push him, gotta get him wider."

The initiation of quarterback with new line was shaky. The line was shaky.

My link

I was really watching Castonzo because we are so dependent on him starting on September 11th. Johnson dominated him. Think what happens when Mario Williams tees off on opening day. I know he is a rookie, but other rookies have manned the left tackle position without getting their qb killed. I also think that Collins being rusty may have played into this, but that was scary.

I was really watching Castonzo because we are so dependent on him starting on September 11th. Johnson dominated him. Think what happens when Mario Williams tees off on opening day. I know he is a rookie, but other rookies have manned the left tackle position without getting their qb killed. I also think that Collins being rusty may have played into this, but that was scary.

Well I'm thinking that Peyton will be shaking some rust off also so Castonzo needs to step it up or our QB could end up on the injury list. At least Peyton will get rid of the ball quicker. lol (hopefully) I would have liked to see Collins take some more snaps myself but I wasn't coaching so it wasn't my call. haha

Guest BlueShoe

Sorry but I am not buying this doom and gloom.

This game is the best thing that could happen to Castonzo. Look he dominated against Green Bay and then he runs into Johnson who is one of the hottest players in the preseason right now. Good for adversity and to make him work even that much harder to prepare for Houston.

I am not worried at all about Castonzo and I believe he will show up in week one and play very well.

Castonzo is going to be a phenom! The patroits are going to regret not dratfing him. We should have not got a player that good without trading up or losing 10 games. The colts will be fine. Look for them to run the ball the first few games. With a lot of shot gun. Peyton will get rid of the ball quick the first few games.

Physically Micheal Johnson is a freak of nature ... He has the longest arms I've ever seen on a human being...lol I'm from Cincy... Costanzo was blocking him... Johnson was just reaching over him with his 50ft wingspan...Wouldn't worry about that too much....

It was the long arms that let him grab Collins, Mario though to has a big wingspan,

Collins also just stood there and should of stepped up in the pocket when available

But why on all the run plays, just like last year they were already in the backfield when the RB got the ball

Well I'm thinking that Peyton will be shaking some rust off also so Castonzo needs to step it up or our QB could end up on the injury list. At least Peyton will get rid of the ball quicker. lol (hopefully) I would have liked to see Collins take some more snaps myself but I wasn't coaching so it wasn't my call. haha

Wanted more of Collins too

he showed us he could throw and thats apparently all the colts wanted to see says the articles, but a few more first downs and a scoring drive not based on an interference call that he couldn't punch in for a td would of helped build his confidence, Would of liked to see that

---------------------------------------

COLLINS SOLID IN COLTS DEBUT -- colts web site

"I guess they wanted to see how far I could throw it still, I guess, I don't know," Collins said with a smile in the locker room afterward. "But it worked out great. It was a big play for us the first play out of the game. I wish we would've scored a touchdown on that drive, but it was good to start off that way."

"It's like you would expect," said Head Coach Jim Caldwell. "It isn't perfect but if we had protected him a little better it would have been better overall. There was the sack and a few drops that stalled some of the drives. In terms of managing things at the line of scrimmage and how he managed himself in those situations, I think he did well.

"Obviously, the first time out there running the offense my main focus was to run it efficiently, try to make good decisions, good reads, all those things and for the most part I did that," Collins said. "A couple of operational things came up that I'll learn from but other than that, a lot of positive things happened."

My link

Its all obviously inconsistency just like they werent opening holes in the run game, the line will be fine. ummm did anyone notice link in that game? nope he did a pretty good job... the best pass rusher was on anthony's side this time good experience for both of them.

Its all obviously inconsistency just like they werent opening holes in the run game, the line will be fine. ummm did anyone notice link in that game? nope he did a pretty good job... the best pass rusher was on anthony's side this time good experience for both of them.

Diem started at RT with Pollack at RG, if Link played he came in later with enemy subs . maybe thats why we couldnt tun, last week Diem did well at RG & helped add to a push

Diem started at RT with Pollack at RG, if Link played he came in later with enemy subs . maybe thats why we couldnt tun, last week Diem did well at RG & helped add to a push

Sorry to say this but your wrong mate Link started at RT, diem will be staying at Guard but i dont think he played at all because he was a game time decision.

Hawkeyecolt

bayone, on 02 September 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Diem started at RG.

Sorry to say this but your wrong mate Link started at RT, diem will be staying at Guard but i dont think he played at all because he was a game time decision.

=====================================================================================

I apologize, I would of sworn when they showed the starting line pictures thats & what i read but was cuaght up in the moment and as u both say that I belive u

Diem started at RG.

I apologize, I would of sworn when they showed the starting line pictures thats & what i read but was cuaght up in the moment and as u both sat that I belive u

Yea when i saw the lineup i was like what? but i really didnt see diem play, he probably played for a snap or something i really think he improves the run in that guard spot.

Of course I am worried because we have a rookie protecting the blindside of one of the best QBs in the league. Baptism by fire works sometimes, but when that rookie is protecting the franchise there has to be some worry. I do not doubt he will improve, but he does not have a whole lot of time to improve especially with Manning probably playing at less then 100%.

What concerns me more is our complete inability to sustain a running game with the first team offensive line. It looks exactly like last year. We cannot have Manning throw the ball 600+ times again. We need a more balance attack offensively.

It is definitely to early to be doom and gloom, but I am not thinking this group looks great either.

Of course I am worried because we have a rookie protecting the blindside of one of the best QBs in the league. Baptism by fire works sometimes, but when that rookie is protecting the franchise there has to be some worry. I do not doubt he will improve, but he does not have a whole lot of time to improve especially with Manning probably playing at less then 100%.

What concerns me more is our complete inability to sustain a running game with the first team offensive line. It looks exactly like last year. We cannot have Manning throw the ball 600+ times again. We need a more balance attack offensively.

It is definitely to early to be doom and gloom, but I am not thinking this group looks great either.

The Oline was not good in this game no doubt about that, but you gotta give the bengals defense credit, they are really good against the run.. compared to the packers they have better run defenders but with time this line is definitely gonna develop cohesion, there's different body types when it comes to these rushers these days and castonzo is learning from the best so in time he'll get it down packed.

To be fair in the running game, the team has made the attempt to do something they have been extremely poor at for years now. The new additions have not played in real meaningful games yet and have not played for any length of time together so give them a chance to jell. They will improve I feel as the unit gets a full game or two under their belts. To come in and just do something 180 degrees from what they have been used to doing well can't be expected overnight. If they do not get better in the first quarter of the year, we may have to revisit who is teaching the oline how to do a better job.

The front line needs to be shored up. I believe Castonzo will be fine, but he is going to face some veteran players that are going to school him. Castonzo went to boston College so I know he is a smart guy,I just hope he has a fast learning curve. One thing the Colts are known to do is leave a TE in with the tackle to chip I believe we will see that until Cas finds his legs. I waqtched all of the Colts preseason games and Cas had his high points and his low points. That is expected from a rookie it is how he bounces back and learn from his mistakes will tell how he will be as a NFL left tackle.