Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck 6th best QBR

Tark The Shark

So looking on ESPN.com I just perused the site and saw the QBR ratings and Luck is 6th.

I personally didn't think he was that high up and even edging out Rodgers, RG3, Brees.

I think the QBR actually is a good indicator of how good a QB really is, even if the team's record doesn't reflect it always.

What do you all say? Too high? Too low?

Can I ask you a question:

How is the QBR a good indicator of how good a QB really is, because personally, I wouldn't say Luck is having a better year than Rodgers nor Brees.

Well if my definition is correct, the QBR is what the QB does throughout the game depending on situations like how well the o-line is playing, if the WR drops the pass, or if the WR bobbles it and it ends up a INT.

Passer rating is something just using stats, like if a QB throws a pass to his WR and he bobbles it and it gets intercepted. His rating drops significantly even though it wasn't really on the QB. QBR takes that aspect into effect.

Granted it is not perfect but I like it better than the passer rating system.

Well if my definition is correct, the QBR is what the QB does throughout the game depending on situations like how well the o-line is playing, if the WR drops the pass, or if the WR bobbles it and it ends up a INT.

Passer rating is something just using stats, like if a QB throws a pass to his WR and he bobbles it and it gets intercepted. His rating drops significantly even though it wasn't really on the QB. QBR takes that aspect into effect.

Granted it is not perfect but I like it better than the passer rating system.

As much as I love Luck, he's more near the bottom of the barrel so far when it comes to QB play, not the top.

I can't help but laugh when it says that Rodgers and Brees are not better than Luck.

When rating and judging a guy like Luck, the passer rating is more accurate in this case than the QBR.

Let me ask you another question: Do you think Andrew Luck is the 6th best QB this year, or even in the top 15?

For a rookie QB it's not going to be pretty stat wise every week, Just Win Baby that's all on a rookies mind "what can I do to help my team win" at the end of the day the W column over rules all. They can have the stats I'll take the W because that's what you will be judged by when the seasons over.

Andy Dalton's numbers didn't jump out at you last year(58% completion and 80.4 passer rating 20tds 13ints).but he helped his team win and that's all that matters at the end of the day for a rookie

Deja _u

Should I spin for more money and risk losing it, or should I just say Pat, i'd like to solve the puzzle.

http://forums.colts....ong-qbs-so-far/

http://forums.colts....1-overall-pick/

http://forums.colts....ek-2-qb-rating/

Just do not be the mo-ron who knows the answer and still buys 5 vowels buddy! I vastly dislike QBR........ :) PBR is nasty too. :)

Isn't QBR that rating ESPN made up a year ago?

Sorry, anything that has Luck ahead of Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Matt Ryan, or even Ben Roethlisberger is bogus.

There's only a handful of QB's that I think Luck has played better than this year.

Now...please don't take that as a shot at Luck -__- That doesn't mean I'm not happy with him, and I think he's a bust, and I don't think we should have drafted him. I'm just saying he's right where he should be, IMO. Not great yet, makes mistakes, but you can see the potential.

Just do not be the mo-ron who knows the answer and still buys 5 vowels buddy! I vastly dislike QBR........ :) PBR is nasty too. :)

The only reason I'd buy extra vowels would be see to Vannah turn them around one at a time. :) Yeah PBR is pretty nasty. It's not the worst beer I've ever had. That title goes to Black Label. Guess who makes it.... Pabst Brewing Company.... Shocker...

The only reason I'd buy extra vowels would be see to Vannah turn them around one at a time. :) Yeah PBR is pretty nasty. It's not the worst beer I've ever had. That title goes to Black Label. Guess who makes it.... Pabst Brewing Company.... Shocker...

HA HA!.......the worst for me was Weidemann.....we used to say "drink Weidemann and weep." The original 'skunky beer.'

Black Label was like 6 bucks a case, so it was popular back in the day, but it was headache city. I can't say I ever tried Weidemann. It doesn't sound like I would want to.

OK....we hijacked the thread with bad beer....Little Kings still comes to mind in college.....Back to QBR....the PBR is history....it had a Black Label on it....and it was drank by Little Kings named Weidemann..... :funny: :topic:

OK....we hijacked the thread with bad beer....Little Kings still comes to mind in college.....Back to QBR....the PBR is history....it had a Black Label on it....and it was drank by Little Kings named Weidemann..... :funny: :topic:

Perfect.

As I said on more than one occasion in the threads I linked above and in other places the QBR at times doesn't pass the eyeball test. From what I gather about it there is a human element that goes into it, and rarely is the human element completely objective.

It is similar to drops. Heading into yesterday's game the Colts were listed with 11 drops which is actually on par with the league average. I'm sure if you polled fans of the Browns(17, tied for the most), the Colts(11, league average), or the Steelers(6, tied for the least), that most would dispute their respective # as being too low. To hear some embellish it, it seems like the Colts # is only about 10% correct.

Not every drop is as clear cut as the one that Browns receiver dropped for a potential go-ahead/game-winning touchdown yesterday. Does the same person review every questionable drop or is there a group with stats inc that reviews them. Guidelines are one thing but human bias can still likely come into play.

I'm not certain how much of the human element comes into play with the QBR, but the question begs again. Is it one person doing it? Is it the same group/team of people looking at the plays. Is a 3rd & 4 12 yard first down completion in the 4th quarter down by 3 treated/calculated the same each week?

Since they(ESPN) fail to spell out and define their exact formula/process, I can't pay it much more attention than a Skip Bayless or Bill Simmons top 10 list, and we all know one of those guys is a bit clueless and the other is completely biased...

Perfect.

As I said on more than one occasion in the threads I linked above and in other places the QBR at times doesn't pass the eyeball test. From what I gather about it there is a human element that goes into it, and rarely is the human element completely objective.

It is similar to drops. Heading into yesterday's game the Colts were listed with 11 drops which is actually on par with the league average. I'm sure if you polled fans of the Browns(tied for the most), the Colts(league average), or the Steelers(tied for the least), that most would dispute their respective # as being too low. To hear some embellish it, it seems like the Colts # is only about 10% correct.

Not every drop is as clear cut as the one that Browns receiver dropped for a potential go-ahead/game-winning touchdown yesterday. Does the same person review every questionable drop or is there a group with stats inc that reviews them. Guidelines are one thing but human bias can still likely come into play.

I'm not certain how much of the human element comes into play with the QBR, but the question begs again. Is it one person doing it? Is it the same group/team of people looking at the plays. Is a 3rd & 4 12 yard first down completion in the 4th quarter down by 3 treated/calculated the same each week?

Since they(ESPN) fail to spell out and define their exact formula/process, I can't pay it much more attention than a Skip Bayless or Bill Simmons top 10 list, and we all know one of those guys is a bit clueless and the other is completely biased...

Excellent points, and a great seg-way back to topic... :)..almost like a strike to TY and Carter could have run a little ways when hit between the numbers as well. I really think you hit the nail on the head with 'lack of human element' concerning the QBR.

What would Eli Manning's QBR have been in the first game had Victor Cruz not dropped 5 passes...one a TD possibility....? Just another example.

Edited by BrentMc11

As much as I love Luck, he's more near the bottom of the barrel so far when it comes to QB play, not the top.

I can't help but laugh when it says that Rodgers and Brees are not better than Luck.

When rating and judging a guy like Luck, the passer rating is more accurate in this case than the QBR.

Let me ask you another question: Do you think Andrew Luck is the 6th best QB this year, or even in the top 15?

Well in that case, absolutely not. He may barely break the top 15.

He still misses plenty of throws and that showed heavily in the Jets game and a big part on why we lost that game.

I wouldn't say he is at the bottom of the barrel, there are guys a whole lot worse than him playing right now. Like Cassel, Palmer, Sanchez/Tebow, Vick, Fitzpatrick, etc...

And the QBR is flawed, or else the NFL would use it as the measuring tool for QBs rather than the passer rating.

Can I ask you a question:

How is the QBR a good indicator of how good a QB really is, because personally, I wouldn't say Luck is having a better year than Rodgers nor Brees.

You are right....he's not.

Its a Mickey Mouse, Brady Bunch ESPN stat that gives them something else to talk about.

All the QB rating schemes have a bias....towards or against some particular stat.

I like to stick with the raw numbers.....% (and % on 3rd down) , TDs vs. INTs......3rd down efficiency..yards per completion

Isn't QBR that rating ESPN made up a year ago?

Sorry, anything that has Luck ahead of Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Matt Ryan, or even Ben Roethlisberger is bogus.

There's only a handful of QB's that I think Luck has played better than this year.

Now...please don't take that as a shot at Luck -__- That doesn't mean I'm not happy with him, and I think he's a bust, and I don't think we should have drafted him. I'm just saying he's right where he should be, IMO. Not great yet, makes mistakes, but you can see the potential.

ESPN is good at coming up with weird little stats to make them sound smarter than they really are. Trying to figure it all out just gives me a headache... much like drinking Budweiser the undisputed king of awful beers.