Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Solidify O-Line in the draft

Lets say we get a pick in the 5-12 range. We trade all the way back to 25 and pick up a 2nd. With those two picks i think o-linemen should be selected. With one we should take the best center so that he could be Luck's center for most of his career. The other could be warmack. Thoughts..

With the decent contract we gave Satelle, Im not sure we give up on him just yet. I think he will be fine with more time.

Now if we are picking around 8-14 and there are no elite pass rushers or SS Eric Reid is gone, then yes I want us to trade down and get OG Chance Warmack. Then with the 2nd rounder get a pass rusher like Sean Porter.

Lets say we get a pick in the 5-12 range. We trade all the way back to 25 and pick up a 2nd. With those two picks i think o-linemen should be selected. With one we should take the best center so that he could be Luck's center for most of his career. The other could be warmack. Thoughts..

We will have done enough in free agency before the draft that we won't have to use a high pick on the O line unless we want to. If there is a franchise Hybrid D lineman available wherever we are picking in the first, there is no way this staff will trade down. If we are drafting outside the top 10, then trading down becomes a greater possibility.

1.Chance Warmack

3.Alex Hurst

4.Margus Hunt

As our limited picks stand now I think we should think about resigning Freeney to a cap friendly deal to finish his career out as a Colt seeing he will have a year under his belt in this scheme UNLESS we can get more picks like a 2nd in which case I would spend a 2nd on a OT let Freeney walk and draft our future 3-4 DE/OLB in the 3rd

I like your thinking here. As far as the Center I agree we need to get a solid Center especially if Satele can't hold. Thats is why I have been more Intrigued by Barret Jones who is playing center right now and its been said that he has basically looked natural there. He has also played Gurad and Tackle so he knows all the spots. So If he isnt needed there he can play somewhere else and still do well. He's pretty solid in run and pass blocking. Now he might not be as dominant as Warmack but he is still dominant and very versatile and can be solid at any position. He could be like a Pouncy from Florida who played Guard and Center and now is a solid center for the Steelers. This kid is smart to he has a 4.0 GPA. Here is his profile and accomlishments below.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_barrett00.html

Very Solid and well rounded. I might just take this guy over Warmack.

I don't think we have to trade back to 25 to get a 2nd...

Remember, the Cowboys moved from about 15 to 6 and it cost them their 2nd....

Also, there has to be a team willing to pay that price... that's easier said than done depending on where our original position is.....

But, if we're picking at, say, 10th, there needs to be a team that is targeting an available player who want to move up to 10th that is willing to give up a #2. And depending on how far down that is, the Colts may, or may not be willing to do that deal.

If we're trading back to the mid-late teens, then perhaps that's a good fit. But, if it's into the 20's, then we may require more than a #2, or we may not be willing to do it at all depending on who may be available for us in the 20's...

Lots of moving parts.... but remember, it takes two teams to make this work.... our willingness has to be matched by their interest....

Hope this makes sense......

Work on the OL in FA.

The problem with trying to fix the OL in FA, is that you rarely see top quality OL make it to FA. Some decent to good ones do, but the great ones are either signed to long term deals, or their team uses the Franchise Tag on them.

We're not one good OL away from a having a very good OL. We're likely 2-3 away. So, at least one high pick (my preference is the 1st round for a tackle) needs to be used to upgrade the OL. Hopefully, we can attract one or two other decent to good OL in FA.

At least, that's my hope.....

The problem with trying to fix the OL in FA, is that you rarely see top quality OL make it to FA. Some decent to good ones do, but the great ones are either signed to long term deals, or their team uses the Franchise Tag on them.

We're not one good OL away from a having a very good OL. We're likely 2-3 away. So, at least one high pick (my preference is the 1st round for a tackle) needs to be used to upgrade the OL. Hopefully, we can attract one or two other decent to good OL in FA.

exactly that's why I wanna go o line early and maybe even 1 2(if acquired) and 3 warmack and two others i wouldn't mind a bit if we used 3 picks on o line and 1 on a cb. Plus pick up Tracy porter in the off season and try to.find dline help in free agency. In 2014 go for the best rb or nt and ss . Superbowl 2014

exactly that's why I wanna go o line early and maybe even 1 2(if acquired) and 3 warmack and two others i wouldn't mind a bit if we used 3 picks on o line and 1 on a cb. Plus pick up Tracy porter in the off season and try to.find dline help in free agency. In 2014 go for the best rb or nt and ss . Superbowl 2014

I hear ya....

But I don't think we can draft that heavy for the offense two drafts in a row.... not with our defense the way it is... and defense needs young healthy blood...

I think we need a tackle and two guards... I think we can find two good guards in FA... that's why I only want to use one pick -- our first pick -- on a tackle, so we can get a premium one. If somehow, we can get a quality (I mean top quality) tackle in FA, then I'd be willing to use our 1st pick on a top quality guard. I want Andrew protected. He's the franchise, let's protect him.

Then, with all the other picks we have (and we acquire) I want to go exclusively defense. We need quality defenders everywhere. Too many to list. Simply throw a dart at a draft board and we need it.

I want to win games this year. Winning is important. But I confess to having one eye on the future. I'm fascinated as to how we Build this Monster. And it all starts as soon as the regular season ends. If you're in it for the long haul, these will be interesting times to be a Colts fan....

:thmup:

u see quality linemen hit free agency, just not left tackles

There IS a chance Jake Long hits FA. He's been injured and not playing to an elite level because of that, and Jeff Ireland hates big contracts. If we could get Jake Long, move Anthony to RT and draft Warmack, our line would look something like:

Long-Reitz-Satele/McGlynn-Warmack-Castonzo

That's pretty good IMO.

u see quality linemen hit free agency, just not left tackles

Well.... as best as I can tell, there are few quality OL set to hit FA this off-season. Maybe it's a down year for that position.

But, I think it's likely that a few more will hit, but not until after the season ends and teams start to figure out their salary cap.

The way the Texans cut Eric Winston, which I know came as a surprise around the league. And I know there were two very, very good guards last year, the top guard who went from NO to TB (forget his name) and the guard the Saints poached from Baltimore to replace the one they lost.

But I don't recall many more than that.

So, I'm not counting on finding many top rated players in FA. One that I want is from Jacksonville, Britton, who has played 4 years, mostly at RT, but has been playing inside at guard this year. Hoping they don't re-sign him. Would love to get him.

But otherwise, I'm going to count on Grigson to know quality players that most regular fans like me might not know that well.

Whatever we get in FA, I'm praying are better than what we currently have. The OL played much better today, but it's a long way from being a quality OL -- a long, long way.

There IS a chance Jake Long hits FA. He's been injured and not playing to an elite level because of that, and Jeff Ireland hates big contracts. If we could get Jake Long, move Anthony to RT and draft Warmack, our line would look something like:

Long-Reitz-Satele/McGlynn-Warmack-Castonzo

That's pretty good IMO.

That would be nice but now we dont eve know if McGlynn or Satele can really stay healthy. So there could be some concern. And as far as moving Corstanzo to RT, I think hes done pretty well at LT for a second year player that didnt even play a full first season. I dont think well be moving him from that position.And from what Ive read Winston Justice has been playing decent at right tackle of late. I mean they have not been perfect by any means but well have to see what the coaches and managment thinks. And If jake Long has been injured frequently, I dont that I want to spend the money on him. I mean we already have enough injury problems on our O- Line, would it be worth it to spend alot of money on a guy who could end up be out half the time? Well see what happens the rest of the season. Well really be able to make a decent conclusion at the end of the season when we can look at the first 8 games and the last 8 games and break down thier performance as a group and individually.

I agree in theory but only if Jarvis Jones has gone by that point.

Jarvis Jones = Vernon Gholston.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all.

In college, Gholston was a DE asked only to rush.

In the NFL, he was converted to an OLB and asked to do much more. He couldn't make the conversion. The Jets even tried to move him back to DE to see if he'd work out there. He didn't.

Meanwhile... Jones has always been an OLB asked to do the job of an OLB.

I think his transition to OLB in the pros should be smoother. Still, that's no guarantee. Do I think he'll make a good pro? Yes. But, there's no guarantee.

I like Jones far more than I ever liked Gholston.

Just one man's opinion...

I agree with going o line in the third and hitting it hard in free agency. But I am a strong advocate of taking a blue chip pass rusher in the first to replace the probable free agency casualty Freeney.

this, plus mathis is going to be what 32 next season? find me a poor defense and i'll show u a defense that can't rush the passer.

I am biginning to kinda be stuck between OL and DL. I really Like Bjoern Werner DE from Florida State. He almosr reminds me of another JJ Watt type player. He sets the edge well and can get to the QB with ease it seems. He's got a good motor too. I like this Kid Alot and think if we pick 10-15 he might be a solid pick. There is number of guys that Intriuge me as first round picks. But we will have to see what we address in free agency to get a better Idea of what we will be likley to adress in the Draft.

I'd love to be able to trade back, but I don't think we'll be able to. Picking up a 2nd could get us a guy like Corey Lemonier, Dion Jordan, Michael Buchanan etc. I watched FSU v Clemson the other week, liked the two ends for FSU; Werner is obviously tipped to go Top 15, but Cornelius Carradine looked pretty good too. I'm not sure if he's played an OLB in a 3-4 though? Seemed strict 4-3 DE to me, but hey ho.