Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck is as good as advertised, the first win was a relief

chad72

A lot of us had said 2-1 would mean Luck is as good as advertised going into the bye week and I anticipate that is how it will end up. He made throws under duress that I was impressed with. He ran like a young Aaron Rodgers too sometimes. :)

To me, a win is a win and it was a lot of relief for most of us Colts fans to get that first win early enough that the lack of a win does not snowball to be a factor during our bye week after which our schedule gets slightly tougher. Maybe the AFC South is the new NFC West from a few years ago, and is the weakest division in football with 3 rookie QB starters.

Now, we can all focus on how many wins we will get as opposed to when that first win will come. I think that is huge for a young team, IMO. The next step would be to take care of those we are supposed to take care of. Hopefully there is no letdown for the Jags game.

GO COLTS!!!

We only have one rookie starter in the division dude...lol. I agree that this is still a weak division though hahaha.

I guess I could not tell the difference with Locker and Gabbert on the field, LOL. Luck is playing just as well as they are, IMO. Maybe I am a homer but there might be some truth to what I am saying. :)

*Looks at Division* We have 3 Rookie Starters???

But I agree this W definitely gave the Team something to be Happy about after Last Week's showing in CHI. This was more Balanced this Game. Defense helped Offense, & Offense thanked them with Points.

Vikings got a few Lucky Plays & they don't even have Luck on their Team (No Pun Intended :) ). But when the Game got Tight, we all pulled together like a Family & came out on Top. Proud Win yesterday

I guess I could not tell the difference with Locker and Gabbert on the field, LOL. Luck is playing just as well as they are, IMO. Maybe I am a homer but there might be some truth to what I am saying. :)

Yeah to be honest Gabbert still looks like a high school QB. I think the jury is still out on Locker though, the Titans have gotten off to a very bad start though lol. I think Luck should get the win next week, all my predictions for the Colts this year have so far been right hahaha.

*Looks at Division* We have 3 Rookie Starters???

But I agree this W definitely gave the Team something to be Happy about after Last Week's showing in CHI. This was more Balanced this Game. Defense helped Offense, & Offense thanked them with Points.

Vikings got a few Lucky Plays & they don't even have Luck on their Team (No Pun Intended :) ). But when the Game got Tight, we all pulled together like a Family & came out on Top. Proud Win yesterday

In watching the game a sceond time.....

it was vivid how much better we are moving the ball in 2-minute situations..

Evenmtually..when the coaches get more confidence in what we have out there....

...we'll let Luck do more..because he'a showing he's capable.

That may even happen this week.

In watching the game a sceond time.....

it was vivid how much better we are moving the ball in 2-minute situations..

Evenmtually..when the coaches get more confidence in what we have out there....

...we'll let Luck do more..because he'a showing he's capable.

That may even happen this week.

Possible, but I think our Changes will come with the Early Bye Week they gave us. Pagano & Co. are gonna take a Good Look at where we stand & I'm thinking some people get to do more, & some get to do less. Some established as Starters, & others lose their Spots

Possible, but I think our Changes will come with the Early Bye Week they gave us. Pagano & Co. are gonna take a Good Look at where we stand & I'm thinking some people get to do more, & some get to do less. Some established as Starters, & others lose their Spots

You saw it..the Vikes were bringing 8 and 9 to the line late in the game and we didnt challenge it with Reggie or Avery.

Once the game was tied....Luck immediately rolls out and tosses back-to-back 20-yarders to Reggie and Avery..to set up the winning score.....I think we can see we can trust him not to throw stupid passes in clsoe games..

...but there are concerns withn the line that may be making the coaches conservative ......and we just borught in a new lineman last week..

you may be right....with 2 home games and then a bye week....we can re-evalute what we thought in the pre-season and go from therre..

You saw it..the Vikes were bringing 8 and 9 to the line late in the game and we didnt challenge it with Reggie or Avery.

Once the game was tied....Luck immediately rolls out and tosses back-to-back 20-yarders to Reggie and Avery..to set up the winning score.....I think we can see we can trust him not to throw stupid passes in clsoe games..

...but there are concerns withn the line that may be making the coaches conservative ......and we just borught in a new lineman last week..

you may be right....with 2 home games and then a bye week....we can re-evalute what we thought in the pre-season and go from therre..

Well, I didn't technically "See" the Game lol. Wasn't on in my Area. But from the Highlights I can tell that Luck is doing well.

Once we get the O-Line situated, he'll only get better. Then maybe we can run those Spread formations that Arians ran up in PIT. Cause Spreading the Field, we have the BIG advantage. We have way too much Speed for anyone to keep up with us. And then Wayne's sure hands makes it that much more Deadly

As I watched that game it was quite apparent that the coaching staff are far more limited by the OL than our rookie QB. During most of the game they had to be somewhat conservative as to be more agressive put Luck's neck on the line (sorry for the poor choice :) ). When we ran the hurry up offense during the two minute drill (W/Luck it was a buck and change LOL) and he was obviously calling the plays he was stellar - wheeling and rolling and throwing darts. Hopefuly as our OL jells as a unit we will see that Luck more often ;)

Uncle Mark, I think that yo and I see this the same way. We have to go with what's working, which in the Vikings game was our passing game. I'm all for balance between the run and the pass, if they're both effective. Unfortunately, the run game was non-existant and yet, we still tried over and over again to run up the middle. At least, try different run plays and different personnel and formations.

The Vikings didn't stop Luck, Arians did. He completely took him out of the game and put Luck in horrible situations by asking him to throw in must-throw 3rd and long situations. To me, this is more dangerous for a rookie QB than throwing on first down when it's unexpected.

Our O-line was bad, but only allowed two sacks (one of which was a horrible 15-yard loss at the worste time possible). But overall, Luck had shown that he could handle the Vikings rush as he made great plays all game long. Let's keep the ball in Luck's hands, and let's not be afraid to win big.

Uncle Mark, I think that yo and I see this the same way. We have to go with what's working, which in the Vikings game was our passing game. I'm all for balance between the run and the pass, if they're both effective. Unfortunately, the run game was non-existant and yet, we still tried over and over again to run up the middle. At least, try different run plays and different personnel and formations.

The Vikings didn't stop Luck, Arians did. He completely took him out of the game and put Luck in horrible situations by asking him to throw in must-throw 3rd and long situations. To me, this is more dangerous for a rookie QB than throwing on first down when it's unexpected.

Our O-line was bad, but only allowed two sacks (one of which was a horrible 15-yard loss at the worste time possible). But overall, Luck had shown that he could handle the Vikings rush as he made great plays all game long. Let's keep the ball in Luck's hands, and let's not be afraid to win big.

You are my favorite poster of the day. :thmup:

OMG there is no comparison between Andrew and those other 2 average Joes, Andrew is going to become one of the best QB's to ever play this game, the other two are going NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's calm down. It's okay have other good QBs. I'd actually prefer Locker and Gabbert to be stud. Makes the division more entertaining.

Luck has the 4th best QBR over the first 2 weeks (81.9) and has the best QBR this week (95.7).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

That QB rating system is the one that had Tebow at the top of the league at one point last year when he was like 4/12 in a game....

I find the older/original/ QB rating system to be far more accurate than this newer one.

That QB rating system is the one that had Tebow at the top of the league at one point last year when he was like 4/12 in a game....

I find the older/original/ QB rating system to be far more accurate than this newer one.

Wow!, Brandon Weeden is a real stinker....... stinkin' the place up. 6.2 are you kidding????

It has its flaws but Tebow's QBR for the year last year was 29.9 which is good enough for 31st in the league.

It has its flaws but Tebow's QBR for the year last year was 29.9 which is good enough for 31st in the league.

I was talking about a specific week where he looked lost, and played rather poorly, yet this QBR system had the best of the week or among the best of the week.

When they released it they said that personal opinion, on some of the factors went in to it, so it's obviously a bit skewed based on that.

I'll unignore the Total QBR long enough to point out that I have found justification for ignoring it: Under the Total QBR, Tim Tebow performed better on Sunday than Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers, whose Packers won at the Georgia Dome, completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns. His Total QBR was 82.1.

Tebow, whose Broncos lost at home to the Chargers, completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown. And he ran the ball six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. And his Total QBR was 83.2.

http://deadspin.com/...-qbr-kerfluffle

Considering ESPN has refused to release the actual formula, it's impossible to quantify independently.

Using Luck's game from yesterday and Alex Smith from yesterday.

Each player was 20/31 Smith had 226 yards, Luck had 224. Each threw 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Luck was sacked twice for 30 yards, Smith was sacked 3 times for 25 yards.

Luck had 4 carries for 21 yards.

Smith had 4 carries for 7 yards. ( 1 rush for 10 yards, and 3 knell downs at the end of the game).

Yet Luck has a 95.7 rating and Smith has a 79.4. I'm not buying it...Nor do I buy that Luck had the best QB performance yesterday. The system has quite a few flaws...

Under the old rating system Smith and Luck come in and 107.7 and 107.5 respectively.

I was talking about a specific week where he looked lost, and played rather poorly, yet this QBR system had the best of the week or among the best of the week.

When they released it they said that personal opinion, on some of the factors went in to it, so it's obviously a bit skewed based on that.

Considering ESPN has refused to release the actual formula, it's impossible to quantify independently.

Each player was 20/31 Smith had 226 yards, Luck had 224. Each threw 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Luck was sacked twice for 30 yards, Smith was sacked 3 times for 25 yards.

Smith had 4 carries for 7 yards. ( 1 rush for 10 yards, and 3 knell downs at the end of the game).

Yet Luck has a 95.7 rating and Smith has a 79.4. I'm not buying it...Nor do I buy that Luck had the best QB performance yesterday. The system has quite a few flaws...

Under the old rating system Smith and Luck come in and 107.7 and 107.5 respectively.

I assume they weigh it more heavily on "clutch" situations, so Luck's TD before the half and his game winning drive at the end of the game probably provided a significant boost.

Either way, I was just pointing out Luck's good standings according to the QBR.

I assume they weigh it more heavily on "clutch" situations, so Luck's TD before the half and his game winning drive at the end of the game probably provided a significant boost.

Either way, I was just pointing out Luck's good standings according to the QBR.

I know you were... Just commenting on the "system" and its flaws...

I was going to start a thread about this, but this thread is better. I started watching/analyzing football seriously when Jeff George was drafted and I have seen a lot of QBs in the NFL and while Luck has his flaws (many of them will go away with experience) I have never seen a rookie QB perform so well in the two minute(hurry up offense) as Luck.

I really liked seeing him be able to brush off would be sack and still make a play. To be able to handle poor snaps from a backup center and still make plays, but what impressed me the most was him on the sideline just before the winning drive telling his team (if I read lips correctly) …. We have two time outs. We can do this.

Now that is leadership

That is what the...... Material......