Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking back on this offseason...

BProland85

If you could change one move we made, what would it be?

Mine is without question signing RT Eric Winston instead of trading for Winston Justice. Yes Winston would have cost around 5 million per season. But if we would have just simply traded Freeney when he still had some value, we could have gotten a 5th round pick and freed up money in the process to sign Winston. Then our OL would be looking much better with 2 dependable OTs in Castonzo and Winston.

Mine is without question signing RT Eric Winston instead of trading for Winston Justice. Yes Winston would have cost around 5 million per season. But if we would have just simply traded Freeney when he still had some value, we could have gotten a 5th round pick and freed up money in the process to sign Winston. Then our OL would be looking much better with 2 dependable OTs in Castonzo and Winston.

maybe oakland would have taken him if al davis was still around, all he cared about was speed and freeney is pretty fast. lol other than that no one wanted that contract

It's not so much that Freeney was going to make so much money as the fact that he's in the last year of his contract. Without a guarantee of an extension or an extension in place, no team would be willing to give up much of anything for a guy that can walk out of the door and never look back once the season is over. There in lies your problem, do you trade Freeney for next to nothing or do you keep him this year and see how it goes? We all have our answer, Freeney isn't going anywhere.

for the 1 millionth time..trading freeney would have been extremely difficult.

Whatever, then cut him I dont care. As long as we would free up cap for this year and would be able to sign RT Eric Winston that would be all I cared about. Winston would be more valuable to this team than Freeney at this point anyhow.

That would be two moves.

Trade Freeney - One move

Sign Winston - Two moves.

Personally, I don't care if you want to make 5 moves or 15.... I just thought I would point it out because the first sentence of the post is, "If you could change one move we made, what would it be?"

Whatever, then cut him I dont care. As long as we would free up cap for this year and would be able to sign RT Eric Winston that would be all I cared about. Winston would be more valuable to this team than Freeney at this point anyhow.

i believe the colts would have still been responsible for most of his salary

i believe the colts would have still been responsible for most of his salary

I am not an advocate for trading Freeney, I think he will prove to be a great part of the D this year, but NFL contracts are not guaranteed, if they had or will cut Freeney the only part they are responsible for is the prorated portion of his signing bonus, that has already been paid but it still counts against the cap, his salary for 2012 would not count against the cap at all if he were released.

Now there may be some new rule in the CBA that states if a veteran player is on the roster up to 23 minutes before kick-off of the 2nd game played by any team of the season then the team has to pay that player 12.267% of his salary if they later release that player at any point during said year... but I don't think so.