Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

all teams cap space as of today

Mameluc

Team-by-team cap space as of September 3

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2012, 12:03 AM EDT

[Editor's note: The current team-by-team cap report as of September 3 appears below. It remains based on the top 51 cap numbers for all players under contract. The calculation converts to entire 53-man roster plus all players on injured reserve and other reserve lists at the launch of the regular season.]

Jaguars: $28.7 million.

Chiefs: $26.6 million.

Eagles: $20.2 million.

Titans: $17.0 million.

Bengals: $15.2 million.

Buccaneers: $14.9 million.

Browns: $13.3 million.

Seahawks: $13.2 million.

Packers: $11.6 million.

Broncos: $11.1 million.

Colts: $10.1 million.

Patriots: $10.0 million.

Cardinals: $10.0 million.

Panthers: $9.2 million.

Vikings: $8.9 million.

Saints: $8.2 million.

Jets: $8.1 million.

Bills: $7.9 million.

Redskins: $7.5 million.

Bears: $6.3 million.

Raiders: $6.0 million.

Cowboys: $5.3 million.

Ravens: $5.3 million.

Steelers: $4.5 million.

Chargers: $4.1 million.

Dolphins: $4.0 million.

Rams: $4.0 million.

Giants: $3.6 million.

49ers: $3.5 million.

Falcons: $3.4 million.

Lions: $2.3 million.

Texans: $2.3 million.

we have more money than i was expecting...next year we will 19 from freeney another like 16 from manning? another 7 mill from bracket+addai+clarck..but im guessing we did a lot of backloaded contracts this year with satelle, mcglynn and mathis so we will probably not have all that cap i just mentioned

To some of the people (in this thread and in others)...

Just because we have money doesn't mean we should spend it on free agents. Having a good amount of money (10 million is perfect) is good to have going into next year.

Just because we have money doesn't mean we should spend it on free agents. Having a good amount of money (10 million is perfect) is good to have going into next year.

lol im not expecting to just go berserk and get whatever guy we can get because we have money, but I think RG is a place where we need to get better at. and Koppen is available.

besides you are not using 10 million on Koppen...you are using around 2.5 millions.

besides this topic wasnt about free agents lol, it was more about what exactly our cap space is since i dont htink anyone really knew

The only monies I think Freeney has received so far is his signing bonus. Makes me wonder if he makes it past the trade deadline.

I confess i do not know that...but isnt his cap like 17 millions? if that cap hit hasnt been taken into acount wouldnt we be violating cap rules? or am i just not understanding how this works

The only monies I think Freeney has received so far is his signing bonus. Makes me wonder if he makes it past the trade deadline.

he isn't going to restructure his contract now which is the biggest reason he isn't tradeable unless we are willing to accept a low round pick (probably a 5th round pick if that)

so it is or isn't taking into consideration Freeney's cap hit? which I didnt think went into affect until game 1

It is including it... He's on the roster...

[Editor's note: The current team-by-team cap report as of September 3 appears below. It remains based on the top 51 cap numbers for all players under contract. The calculation converts to entire 53-man roster plus all players on injured reserve and other reserve lists at the launch of the regular season.]

There is a little more than 6 million on IR. 800k & change on the 2 reserve lists...

It is including it... He's on the roster...

There is a little more than 6 million on IR. 800k & change on the 2 reserve lists...

Ok so provided we make no more moves then we have that 10.1 million, but still Freeneys contract hasn't taken affect I dont think because the regular season hasn't started yet, the league year has of course started and everything that has came with it, OTA's, practices, training camp...all that but the regular season hasn't started because we have not started game 1

Ok so provided we make no more moves then we have that 10.1 million, but still Freeneys contract hasn't taken affect I dont think because the regular season hasn't started yet, the league year has of course started and everything that has came with it, OTA's, practices, training camp...all that but the regular season hasn't started because we have not started game 1

No we haven't started game 1, but Freeney's contract for cap purposes is included at this point.

Using that train of thought his 19 million cap hit would absorb the quoted 10 million space... That is simply not the case...

He's included he's at the top of the list...

The figure quoted includes:

It remains based on the top 51 cap numbers for all players under contract.

He is under contract!

lol im not expecting to just go berserk and get whatever guy we can get because we have money, but I think RG is a place where we need to get better at. and Koppen is available.

besides you are not using 10 million on Koppen...you are using around 2.5 millions.

besides this topic wasnt about free agents lol, it was more about what exactly our cap space is since i dont htink anyone really knew

It's funny you say Koppen because I don't know about you but I'm happy with Samson Satele. Yes, he's been iffy this preseason, but the guy was a tank with the RAiders and Dolphins. He'll come around.

We don't need to bring in an older center who's played in one system to come in.

Center is not a problem right. It'b a waste to bring him in.

10 million is more than enough to get Koppen, cmon Grigson he cant be worse than Mcglynn/olsen/ whatever else we have

My guess is that the Pats released him and the Colts haven't sign him because he's not the player he once was. Also one thing Grigson has shown is they aren't interested in going out and getting a player who is only going to help for a year or two. Getting a guy like Davis who could have an impact for many seasons is one thing but I don't think they are that interested in older players, especially on the offensive side, that are only going to be around to help for a year or two and then put us back in the same hole we were in before.

It could also be something like they reached out to Koppen and he has no interest in joining the Colts. Older players like to go some place where they can win and he may not view Indy as a true contender.

It's funny you say Koppen because I don't know about you but I'm happy with Samson Satele. Yes, he's been iffy this preseason, but the guy was a tank with the RAiders and Dolphins. He'll come around.

We don't need to bring in an older center who's played in one system to come in.

Centers could very easily play guard at a high level, which is a position that we DO need...Jeff Saturday flirted with the idea of signing with Pittsburgh a few years ago, simply because he wouldve been playing OG instead of C... with that said, Koppen broke his ankle last year, and i dont really wanna sign an older O-lineman coming off of a broken ankle.

Satelle was ranked 25th on a top ranked list I saw. Just saying. I thought he looked pretty alert and active so far. Him and the left side look solid together.

He and OLSON Not so much. IMO if you have Olson & Link on your roster, you have real problems.

The Giants will supposedly be over the cap by about $700k if they don't make any moves before the start of the season. Meanwhile the Skins are in the middle of the pack in terms of cap space despite an $18m penalty. It's a shame the Giants won't have too hard a time getting under as I'd love to see Mara get nailed after all that capgate nonsense.

Also, some players mentioned as possible pickups salaries would have to be guaranteed for 2012 if we signed them prior to Week 1.

If you sign someone to a 1 year deal, it wont impact the $$'s for 2013......so depending on what a potential FA is looking for, that might not be an issue.

No we haven't started game 1, but Freeney's contract for cap purposes is included at this point.

Using that train of thought his 19 million cap hit would absorb the quoted 10 million space... That is simply not the case...

He is under contract!

FJC, does all players under contract apply to the active roster or include those on IR as well? I always thought that IR didn't count against the salary cap so that you would have room to sign a replacement if a big contract goes down for the season.

Poor Jags... anybody want to try out for them with me? jk

we would probably make the team, if not be starters, then we would have to play our beloved colts twice a year. tough position to be in.

When you're on the Jags every position is a tough position to be in. lol

I wouldn't want to be a Jaguar. They even warm up by getting slapped around...

Looks to me like they practice taking a beating...

oh no dont get me wrong im not trying to bench satelle...I thought maybe Koppen can play some RG. he would be fighting Mcglynn on my mind

My guess is that the Pats released him and the Colts haven't sign him because he's not the player he once was. Also one thing Grigson has shown is they aren't interested in going out and getting a player who is only going to help for a year or two. Getting a guy like Davis who could have an impact for many seasons is one thing but I don't think they are that interested in older players, especially on the offensive side, that are only going to be around to help for a year or two and then put us back in the same hole we were in before.

It could also be something like they reached out to Koppen and he has no interest in joining the Colts. Older players like to go some place where they can win and he may not view Indy as a true contender.

I think they released him because Connolly really took a step forward and he got caugh tin the numbers; they have a LOT of olinemen: Waters, Connoly, Marcus Canon, Logan Mankins, Volmer, Solder, Thomas... he was jus thte older of the bunch (except waters).

i do agree about tno getting vets that would only help for a couple of years, since we a re a young team anyways that is rebuilding.

Also having only 2 picks next draft does not look like a GM that is thinking we are rebuilding, but thats up to argue and i dont want to discuss about that :)

But cmon, Justice and Mcglyn wont be the long term RG RT starters, they are just stop gaps...I just thought of a better 1 year stop gag at RG. lol im just not convincec with Mcglynn and koppen seems like a better option to me.

The Giants will supposedly be over the cap by about $700k if they don't make any moves before the start of the season. Meanwhile the Skins are in the middle of the pack in terms of cap space despite an $18m penalty. It's a shame the Giants won't have too hard a time getting under as I'd love to see Mara get nailed after all that capgate nonsense.

yea how did that happen? never really understood how that cap punishment happened/worked

I really don't think McGlynn is getting a fair shake from most of the fans. He played in 2 series in the 1st preseason game and thats it. Now, I know Gavin will chime in and say he seen him play in Cincy and he sucked there too, but I want to see it with my own eyes before I make a judgement on him. He should get a little more of a chance to show what he's got than just 2 series in the 1st preseason game. Apparently the coaching staff and Grigson see something in him that most fans are not seeing. He's penciled in as the starter. If he comes out Sunday and gets his butt handed to him all game then maybe I'll change my tune, but I think he deserve's more of a chance than he's been given from the fans.

FJC, does all players under contract apply to the active roster or include those on IR as well? I always thought that IR didn't count against the salary cap so that you would have room to sign a replacement if a big contract goes down for the season.

IR counts. You're responsible for keeping room for replacements.

He is under contract!

Wait, so that $10M doesn't include Freeney?

I don't think the figure, whether it's $10 Mill, or FJC's lower figure, should be viewed as an unwillingness to spend money by the Colts and Irsay/Grigson.

I think they've tried to leave themselves some room in case of unexpected Free Agent/Waiver signings.... trades and new contracts to sign.

Flexibility is key. You don't want a team that's backed up to the wall on payroll... at least, not yet.

Centers could very easily play guard at a high level, which is a position that we DO need...Jeff Saturday flirted with the idea of signing with Pittsburgh a few years ago, simply because he wouldve been playing OG instead of C... with that said, Koppen broke his ankle last year, and i dont really wanna sign an older O-lineman coming off of a broken ankle.

Satelle was ranked 25th on a top ranked list I saw. Just saying. I thought he looked pretty alert and active so far. Him and the left side look solid together.

He and OLSON Not so much. IMO if you have Olson & Link on your roster, you have real problems.

Also, some players mentioned as possible pickups salaries would have to be guaranteed for 2012 if we signed them prior to Week 1.

If you sign someone to a 1 year deal, it wont impact the $$'s for 2013......so depending on what a potential FA is looking for, that might not be an issue.

oh no dont get me wrong im not trying to bench satelle...I thought maybe Koppen can play some RG. he would be fighting Mcglynn on my mind

Ok, that's a lot of responses, so I'll address each of the replies, but I don't know who wrote it...

How do you know he would be an upgrade over our guys? He was cut by the Pats! I don't think BB would cut a player that has been consistently solid over the last 8 years. No, clearly he's not the same Dan Koppen, which is why it'b a waste signing him.

Also, like you said: He's somehwhat injured!! Who signs an injured player?!?

Ok, to the guy who said that he was ranked 25th and stuff... Satele is known as one of the best run blocking centers in the league. LOok at him in Oakland, helping anchor a line that paved way for a top 3 rushing attack. The same in Miami, he helped pave the way for a great rushing attack in Miami with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams for one season. I don't give a crap if the ranking says he's 25th, because ranking or not, he's one of the best run blocking centers in the league. He was considered by many (experts, analysts and this forum) to be a great signing and I agree. You don't sign someone only to replace them a couple of months later.

Now, another guy said let's make him guard. I guess you want him to replace McGlynn. Could he better than McGlynn? Yes. Could he be much worse? Yes. McGlynn has experience (college and pro) at guard. Koppen has never played it. It's not the easiest switch. A lot of young kids do it, because they are young and can easily do it (mostly b/c of their athleticism). Koppen is a 33 year old player who's had plenty of injuries, has lost his athleticism and has only played center. It wouldn't be as easy as you think.

Also, don't judge our O-line based on their preseason performance. For example, Andrew Luck looks like the real deal, but you can't say that he is because he's only thrown 66 passes. He still has a long way to go in his career. The same goes for the line. They've looked up and down this preseason. It's tough to judge them based on 4 games, or 1 game worth of plays. Also, it's funny you bring up Mike McGlynn. McGlynn played probably 25 snaps. I could be off on that, but he played one game (really 1.5 quarters). How can you predict how he'll do based on that. At least give him a couple of weeks in the regular season before pushing him aside and wanting a risky veteran like Koppen.

That was a bit all over the place, but I think I answered it all. Bottomline: Don't sign Dan Koppen.