Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Swope retires [Merge]

Dustin

Swope released a statement:

"As a result of a concussion I suffered during OTAs, I was advised by doctors that there were serious risks in returning to play football at this point. It has been a lifelong dream to play in the NFL but my long-term health interests outweigh my current goals for football. Because of that, I am electing to retire from the game for now and then reassess my future after this season. In the meantime, I plan to return to Texas A&M to pursue my degree."

It does explain why he fell in the draft. Cardinals took enough swings in the draft, one with the Honey Badger, and another with this guy. So far, one has been a swing and a miss, and time will tell with the Honey Badger.

Well, what Swopes is saying is consistent with what Austin Collie has said all along. Collie has always said that if the doctors feel it is a serious risk based on all the tests they do, he will step away from the game.

They said so in Ryan Swopes' case, and have not said so in Austin Collie's case. After the doctors' tests, it ultimately falls on the individual at the end. Right choice on his part.

Gotta laugh at all the people that said potential 2nd round pick. 

I'll gladly stand by my comment since he burned NFL caliber corners and had starting WR measurables and film, so laugh away.  :rock:

I had no idea the concussions were nearly as bad as they were, but clearly the NFL teams did once they started getting their Dr's on the case. I'm happy to wear some egg on my face if it means the dude walking away before football turns him into a vegetable. He's making the right call for his future, and if the 2012 Alabama game is the highlight of his football career, safe to say that's still a heck of a high note.

announced his retirement from the nfl this week  , the rookie receiver drafted in the sixth round of this retired after another concussion. it shame he had to retire could of been good for cards.

A man has to do whats best for him his long term health & his family.   It was with out a doubt the toughest decision of his life  .

The game for some is brutal retiring is something Austin Collie should also do before he takes 1 to many .