Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What round do you take a RB?

So let's assume the Colts draft from 10-15 range. A RB is in our needs big time and IMO let's just say as well garret and fournette are off the table. I beleive there was only one top tier RBS last year and it was elliot but this year I beleive there are several. For me if there's not an immediate game changer at OLB I'm going with RB. If there is then almost no later than a second round. 

On 10/25/2016 at 2:59 PM, egg said:

Gore is under contract until the end of next year and playing very well. The Colts rest him a lot through each game. It looks like they want him to be healthy through next season. I'll be surprised if they draft a running back within the first four rounds.

I promise you they will.      

I'll be beyond shocked if they don't.

This might be the biggest and best crop of running backs since....    perhaps ever.

So, to wait until the 5th round and pass on a quality RB is near criminal.    Borderline professional malpractice.

We have one real offensive need for next draft:    Running back.    To not get a good one would be a huge mistake.

Most of the rest of the draft can be defense....    but we have to get the eventual replacement for Frank Gore next spring.

And welcome to the website.    I haven't seen your handle before...    hope you enjoy it here!

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

we have to get the eventual replacement for Fran Gore next spring.

Frank Gore is now producing as well as he ever has. The Colt's running game is quietly becoming one of the best in the league with the additions of Good and Haeg. If Gore ends this season healthy with 1200 yds and a 4.3 yd ave  (which he is on pace to do), why change a good tire?

55 minutes ago, egg said:

The new RB we draft is not to replace Gore next year....   but he'll share the load with Gore next year and be the replacement in 2018.

Old RB's get really old, really fast.    So just because Gore is doing well now,  doesn't mean he'll be doing well in December or January.      As you may know, Gore is on a "touch count"....   a limited amount of touches per game...      roughly 15-20 touches (carries + receptions) per game.     That's to make sure he's strong enough to last through the playoffs should we get there.

The player we draft next year would probably take a modest amount of touches away from Gore,  but not too much.     Ideally, the Colts would like to throw a few times less per game and run a few times more per game.   The new RB would get some of those as well.

But the new RB would be the lead dog in 2018.      That's the perfect scenario.

But we want a solid guy to draft in 2017.     It's a historically good RB draft class.    We've got to get one of those guys for the near future.       It's the same as we did with LeRaven Clark.      We took him in the 3rd round this year,   with the idea that he might not start until next year or the year after.   

Sorry this post went so long....    I wanted to address all your concerns and questions.

By the way,  in case it wasn't clear,  I'm a Frank Gore fan.    Have been since before we signed him as a free agent.

You may be right. My thinking is, if the Colts think they can get one more year out of Gore, they will not draft a franchise-type back. That would be like drafting Addai in James' last year. They will wait until 2018 and draft one in the first round, when they need to replace a franchise back with another franchise back.

50 minutes ago, egg said:

You may be right. My thinking is, if the Colts think they can get one more year out of Gore, they will not draft a franchise-type back. That would be like drafting Addai in James' last year. They will wait until 2018 and draft one in the first round, when they need to replace a franchise back with another franchise back.

I don't see the Colts using a 1st round pick on a RB.      Almost no one does anymore.     The NFL game has changed so much you can get a quality back in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round...     and in some cases, even lower, you just can't expect a back taken that late to turn into something that good.    Plus, the Colts already got burned in the Trent deal.    You don't want that kind of history to repeat itself.

They will get another year out of Gore unless he gets hurt.    But they need a quality back-up to lighten the load and get seasoning for 2018.

And you don't have to take my word for it....   if you read the twice a week letters to the editor column that are answered by Colts.com writer Kevin Bowen,  he has said it's his view that the team will indeed take a RB pretty high in 2018.      He's predicted 2nd-4th round.        He's predicted pass rush and corner and running back and inside linebacker.     That's not set in stone,  but that's his view and he's inside the building following the team closer than any of us.

I've reached similar conclusions months ago.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see the Colts using a 1st round pick on a RB.      Almost no one does anymore.     The NFL game has changed so much you can get a quality back in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th round...     and in some cases, even lower, you just can't expect a back taken that late to turn into something that good.    Plus, the Colts already got burned in the Trent deal.    You don't want that kind of history to repeat itself.

They will get another year out of Gore unless he gets hurt.    But they need a quality back-up to lighten the load and get seasoning for 2018.

And you don't have to take my word for it....   if you read the twice a week letters to the editor column that are answered by Colts.com writer Kevin Bowen,  he has said it's his view that the team will indeed take a RB pretty high in 2018.      He's predicted 2nd-4th round.        He's predicted pass rush and corner and running back and inside linebacker.     That's not set in stone,  but that's his view and he's inside the building following the team closer than any of us.

I've reached similar conclusions months ago.

Bowen said in his column yesterday he thinks the Colts will explore a very deep RB class this year.  He said taking a RB this year falls right in line with his thinking.  He's not predicting a 1st. round pick but he has no idea on what the circumstances will be at that time.  IMO you don't pigeon hole a position to any round. You should take the BPA in a position of need.  Once you have locked down your PON's any round is fair game.  Right now I think RB is one of our PON's.  So if a RB is the BPA at our pick you draft him.  Round doesn't matter.  

In general I don't favour taking backs earlier than the 2nd round. Just not much value anymore.

But like many have said before, this is an absolutely historically deep Running back class-and the Colts DO have a need there. Question is, is the talent good enough to warrant taking a running back over a defender in one of the early rounds (because lets be honest, at least half the defense could use an upgrade). I think yeah, in rounds 2-4 they should pull the trigger.

We'll probably miss on Cook, Fournette and those guys. But guys like Royce Freeman or Wayne Gallman can turn into unreal products, as long as they are developed well enough. 

Lets see how it goes. Teams got options, that's for sure. And lots of talent to pick from.

Maybe a 2nd rounder depending on what is available in terms of RB's and LB's.  I think pass rush is a more immediate need though so that's where I'd spend the first rounder.

I'd also like to have Cook because he can do more in the passing game.  

I'd take him over Fournette.

Best player available is my approach. We may be drafting in the 15-20 range so I see the top linebackers gone. If Dalvin Cook is still hanging around when we pick, I would draft him. He is explosive, dynamic and game changing. With him in our backfield, teams cannot load the box or send the house at Luck. Too much talent.

On 10/28/2016 at 9:51 AM, chad72 said:

DeVontae Booker was round 4, Arian Foster was UDFA, Eddie Lacy, Matt Forte and Leveon Bell were from round 2. 

I don't anticipate anything earlier than round 2 and later than round 4.

Yes.....   rounds 2, 3 and 4 would seem to be the sweet spot for a good RB.