Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It was nice knowing you Turbin

CR91

21 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the nfl shouldn't care so much about weed.  it only takes one policy change to go from banned substance to a non issue

i dont want my civil engineers and doctors to be smokers, but it doesn't matter if pro athletes do it.  this isnt rocket science

let them smoke, its a legitimate pain killer that's no worse than alcohol and other prescription drugs

The argument that is often made is that pot is the gateway or launching pad substance to other more lethal narcotics like cocaine, meth, & heroin. I don't subscribe to that theory though because there are pot users in this world that never go beyond weed similar to falsely saying for example that if you start out drinking wine coolers, then you'll progress to beer, followed by scotch, then whiskey. It's a foolish line of reasoning with no validity to it IMO. I'm not claiming you are saying this aaron11 BTW. Just to be clear. 

It is difficult to demand prohibitions on illegal drug use based on their occupation though. I agree civil engineers should be in an altered frame of mind when building bridges for safety reasons. Great in theory. Hard to allow certain jobs a pass on smoking while enforcing strict guidelines on other professions though. Enforcement has to be across the board in all jobs. Otherwise, you enter into a preferential treatment problem based on occupations where widespread safety isn't deemed paramount or mandatory. 

I get where you are coming from though Aaron.  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can be used as a good example of what you are saying. In my younger days I started out drinking corn whiskey, bourbon and white lightning. In those days 18 was the legal age limit. It might have been the area I grew up in, I am not too sure? Or it could have been working on a farm where refrigeration was not around and those items are drank out of a bottle? I buy into your gateway comment for sure. As far as the drugs, different types of acid was used long before weed. I never was around weed till the Army and then really never got into it till a few years later after ETSing out. I think it has to do more with who your friends are and what they are doing? I am not proud of some of the things I have done but the one thing I never did was mix any of those items with work. I leaned early there is a time and place to do those things and work was not one of them. :D

On 7/16/2016 at 7:06 PM, southwest1 said:

The argument that is often made is that pot is the gateway or launching pad substance to other more lethal narcotics like cocaine, meth, & heroin. I don't subscribe to that theory though because there are pot users in this world that never go beyond weed similar to falsely saying for example that if you start out drinking wine coolers, then you'll progress to beer, followed by scotch, then whiskey. It's a foolish line of reasoning with no validity to it IMO. I'm not claiming you are saying this aaron11 BTW. Just to be clear. 

It is difficult to demand prohibitions on illegal drug use based on their occupation though. I agree civil engineers should be in an altered frame of mind when building bridges for safety reasons. Great in theory. Hard to allow certain jobs a pass on smoking while enforcing strict guidelines on other professions though. Enforcement has to be across the board in all jobs. Otherwise, you enter into a preferential treatment problem based on occupations where widespread safety isn't deemed paramount or mandatory. 

I get where you are coming from though Aaron.  

I think the "gateway drug" argument is actually fairly reasonable (but not certain) when you consider it like this: A teenager is told not to use alcohol, marijuana, etc.  The kid eventually tries alcohol and says "Well, they told me not to use alcohol but that wasn't so bad.  I'm still alive.  In fact, I'm fine.  I wonder what else 'they' (adults/parents) are wrong about?"

So it's not that the use of one drug automatically leads to another.  But breaking down that first barrier makes someone new to a particular substance a little bit braver, a little bit more curious re: what else is out there.  It's more of a human behavioral argument, rather than a "one drug leads to the next" argument.  If that makes any sense.

The whole gateway drug argument is far from a rule, though, even from the behavioral standpoint.

5 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I think the "gateway drug" argument is actually fairly reasonable (but not certain) when you consider it like this: A teenager is told not to use alcohol, marijuana, etc.  The kid eventually tries alcohol and says "Well, they told me not to use alcohol but that wasn't so bad.  I'm still alive.  In fact, I'm fine.  I wonder what else 'they' (adults/parents) are wrong about?"

So it's not that the use of one drug automatically leads to another.  But breaking down that first barrier makes someone new to a particular substance a little bit braver, a little bit more curious re: what else is out there.  It's more of a human behavioral argument, rather than a "one drug leads to the next" argument.  If that makes any sense.

The whole gateway drug argument is far from a rule, though, even from the behavioral standpoint.

As a father of a teenage boy, this argument makes sense but it does not necessarily limit itself to illegal substances.  The teenage psyche (especially with boys) is that of being bullet proof and invincible.  It has more to do with hormones and brain development than illegal drug use though, IMHO.

Teenagers will question his or her parents whether they touch illegal drugs or not, again hormonal and psyche changes more than external factors IMO.

I just do not buy into the gateway approach when it comes to drugs.  I think a person has a genetic predisposition to have a addictive personality.  I am not saying that if you have a addictive personality that you will be addicted to drugs but I do believe that some people have a greater likelihood of becoming addicted, progressing to harder substances, etc than others do.  I also believe that a person's psyche and past experiences contribute to the drug use as well.  In summary, I believe that it is less about the drug and more about the individual.

28 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Blaming others is pretty standard behavior for today's pro....so, sounds like he's right on track!

Sorry,  ZTB,  I'm not following....

Turbin wrote that you have to handle yourself like a pro. (He's admitting that he didn't.    He writes "my mistake.  It won't happen again."  

Feels like he's owning it enough.     What's the problem here?      I'm not seeing it....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Turbin wrote that you have to handle yourself like a pro. (He's admitting that he didn't.    He writes "my mistake.  It won't happen again."  

Feels like he's owning it enough.     What's the problem here?      I'm not seeing it....

He's owning that the whole scenario was a mistake, 'either way'.  It's quite a fair assessment not everyone believes his statement -

"Gotta be able to handle the good with the bad even when you're not at fault.. Not all reports are totally true ! "

He's still shifting blame and hinting at an unnamed fall guy 'planting  the contraband'.  Accidentally or not.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:14 AM, zibby43 said:

I think it has to do more with the friends and people you hang out with. What ever they are doing you have a tendency to follow. If you befriend a person or a few who do certain things it stands to reason you will try those things. I may be the exception to the rule , am not too sure. I did different types of acid and drank alcohol long before I smoked any pot. Being observant of what harder drugs can do does have an effect on if you do them or not. Me and my group of friends didn't stare at the sun till we blinded ourselves, jump off roofs or cliffs like advertised by the government either.

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As clarified by CB FL above, he's saying he's not at fault - the foundation of not taking personal ownership for whatever situation you put yourself into.

5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm hoping Turbin can be productive. I just don't want him to prevent our other backs from showing their potential. 

I really don't see that as a problem. With training camp and 5 pre season games there will be enough time for anyone of the roster to show what they can do. Playing time on the field is earned away from the field in training camp and practices. They rotate every player with reps at training camp.