Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Year of the Center

Slick_Rick

Like who?

Also, you just named three receivers that are no longer on the active roster in support of your claim that we didn't need Moncrief. That's ironic.

Justice cunningham, kerwynn williams, john boyett, tim tugger, justin anderson, lavon brazil.. all players drafted in the past three years that couldnt make the team.. lavon brazil did make the team ill give u him

Seems like our forum tends to preoccupy ourselves with mediocre players (released due to performance by multiple teams), and boost them into a wildly overrated status.

Shipley is one...as was Lawrence Guy, Drake Nevis, and others...

I don't believe I have boosted Shipley. I think as of right now, he gives us a better chance to win on Sundays than Harrison. I'm not saying he is, by any means, the center for the next 10 years. He is servicible for now, and as such, is an upgrade over Harrison.

I think in the games that he has played, the offense has flowed better. At the very least, he didn't have false starts or any bad snaps if my recollection is accurate. I'm not saying he is the longterm solution, but I believe he would give us a better chance this season. As a fan, I felt that we ran the ball well, and that pass protection is better with Shipley than with Harrison

It really isn't, Shipley came in when Harrison was hurt and the line wasn't any better at all. Holmes came in and then it got a bit better. Shipley and Harrison are similar caliber players but Harrison has a ton of potential

I think in the games that he has played, the offense has flowed better. At the very least, he didn't have false starts or any bad snaps if my recollection is accurate. I'm not saying he is the longterm solution, but I believe he would give us a better chance this season. As a fan, I felt that we ran the ball well, and that pass protection is better with Shipley than with Harrison

It really isn't, Shipley came in when Harrison was hurt and the line wasn't any better at all. Holmes came in and then it got a bit better. Shipley and Harrison are similar caliber players but Harrison has a ton of potential

Justice cunningham, kerwynn williams, john boyett, tim tugger, justin anderson, lavon brazil.. all players drafted in the past three years that couldnt make the team.. lavon brazil did make the team ill give u him

Are you really complaining about 6th and 7th rounders who aren't on the roster anymore? That's silly.

Man,  I don't how that Grigson survives?      All those great players in the 6th and 7th round and they didn't make it.

I mean,  other than three straight 11 win seasons after a franchise won 2 games,  what has the guy done?!?      :dunno:   

Lol.. players draft grade at the combine means alot.. we drafted/signed all those linemen but not one is playing besides cherilus.. as for moncrief.. i like him and think he will be good.. but the pick is mind boggling.. we had reggie, t.y, fleener, allen, nicks, and da'rick... WR was not a must have position.. we couldnt feed all the ones we have.. instead we draft players that couldnt make the team.

Edit.. i forgot lavon brazil and griff walen

I think Mewhort would be shocked to know that GC is the only one drafted/signed lineman that's playing for the colts.

Guess what? I can almost 100 percent guarantee you that all 32 teams have players they drafted that didn't work out the last three years. That's not really shocking to anybody. Nobody hits 100% of all drafts. Even Polian drafted players that ended up stinking.

You're really reaching.

Every now and then I listen to Polian on the Sirius NFL Channel.  I'd love to ask him why more teams don't buiild from the line out.

After Glenn retired our O Line deteriorated rapidly.  I know Ugoh was supposed to be the successor, but when that didn't work why didn't he make it a priority to get a LT?  The year we drafted three centers wasn't the answer either.

I really think you need to over draft, take a guy in the first that you know will be gone by your pick in the second.  Spend money on the right FA, and if he doesn't work out, move on until you find one that does.

If that means you're spending less money on skill players, so be it.  You can't take advantage of the skills when the QB is on his back or the RB is being greeted in the backfield.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now...

well they also had Johnson who held his own at left tackle. What Polian was trying to do with the three centers was rebuild the middle of the line after Scott left as a free agent and Find replacements for Lilja and Saturday. Clearly it didn't work. Once it became clear Ugoh wasn't the answer at left tackle he did address it by drafting Castonzo. He also drafted the other tackle from Uconn to replace an aging Diem but again that one didn't work out. If you take out the Castonzo pick the Colts o-line woos can be traced back to almost 8 years of bad drafting along the o-line. I will say I tihnk they have something in Mewhort so maybe Grigson is starting to turn that around.

well they also had Johnson who held his own at left tackle. What Polian was trying to do with the three centers was rebuild the middle of the line after Scott left as a free agent and Find replacements for Lilja and Saturday. Clearly it didn't work. Once it became clear Ugoh wasn't the answer at left tackle he did address it by drafting Castonzo. He also drafted the other tackle from Uconn to replace an aging Diem but again that one didn't work out. If you take out the Castonzo pick the Colts o-line woos can be traced back to almost 8 years of bad drafting along the o-line. I will say I tihnk they have something in Mewhort so maybe Grigson is starting to turn that around.

Yes, I remember all that. Pollack was a second rounder? Besides him, there were no upper round picks until Costonzo and by then the line deteriorated horribly.

Keeping Lilja and letting Scott go clearly was the wrong decision but that's Monday morning QBing on my part. He didn't know about the injury.

I guess my point is that he wasn't aggressive enough, he could have gone for better FAs and more upper round picks. Instead of WR and RB in the first round, build up the line. Spend money on the line even if it means not re-signing skill players or Some DBs.

I'm still torn with this line. I think the talent is there for the most part. I just don't think the schemes are always sound. Just my 2 cents.