Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seeblu

Hal Hunter and Tim Berbenich

22 posts in this topic

The Indianapolis Colts announced the addition of Hal Hunter and Tim Berbenich to their coaching staff today.

Hunter will serve as assistant offensive line coach under Joe Gilbert. Berbenich is the club’s offensive assistant.

Hunter is a coaching veteran of more than 30 years who spent the past seven
seasons with the San Diego Chargers, where he was offensive coordinator
and O-line coach in 2012. Hunter was Indiana University’s offensive
coordinator in 2000-01 with Big Ten Player of the Year Antwaan Randle
El.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130130/SPORTS03/130130029/Colts-add-two-coaching-staff

Wow!  If anything says the Colts are serious about upgrading their O line, this says it in BOLD LETTERS.

Hunter was the OC in Bolts land and comes here as an asst O line coach?  And Berbenich is added as another O asst.  For the first time in a long time, the Colts are getting very serious about upgrading the offensive line. 

Good job Mr. Grigson

4 people like this

Was hoping someone would see this and post this....   this is a double very good move the Colts...

Think we got better today.   Always a good thing.     Curious as to where Berbenich ends up...   right now he's just an "offensive assistant"....    OK...

Sounds like whatever he ends up doing,  he'll add value...

Today is a good day in Colt's Nation!      :thmup:

The Hunter move not only should help the performance of the overall O-line but could improve the chances of signing Louis Vasquez if the Colts are interested in him. He wouldn't be the first free agent to follow his position coach to another team.

4 people like this

Seems like this leads back to the great hire we picked up from sd! Can't think of his name. Grigsons new right hand man, heh

1 person likes this

With each passing Topic about our Additions, I'm feeling more & more confident about this West Coast Offense transition. If we get an Oline, I'll be doing this all year -> :yahoo:

Seems like this leads back to the great hire we picked up from sd! Can't think of his name. Grigsons new right hand man, heh

Forgot about him - Jimmy Raye. He's very highly thought of and the word is that Tedesco (sp?) hoped to keep him with the Chargers.

Jimmy Raye! Thx that was the name. I think we can thank him. I wouldn't be shocked if we got their g also. And whoever else we wanted to pluck from them.

Sounds like some good hires !!!  Am looking forward to seeing the upgrades to our O-line now !!!

Sounds like some good hires !!!  Am looking forward to seeing the upgrades to our O-line now !!!

Agreed

Ryan Grigson has his eyes on the prize with these newest additions to the staff now get a new center . Samson Satele is no Jeff Saturday .

GØ Ç♥L╪§ ♫♫

When Berbenich was with Tampa he was an understudy of John Gruden's offense.

http://www.bucscentral.com/general-news/bucs-assistant-top-candidate-to-replace-mann

I love the link, 1953!  My favorite piece of info is as follows:  

"Since joining the Buccaneers Berbenich’s responsibilities have been wide ranging, from breaking down film of opponents, scouting opponents, drawing opponent plays and alignments, to bringing free agents up to speed and serving as an assistant on the practice field to coaches."

This is absolutely perfect for this team...moving toward Free Agency and keeping new players "up to speed!!  I also liked the fact he was able to pick up John Gruden's offense in no time!

His addition to the Colts seems to mesh with the variety of 'teachers we have on the staff. Looks like a nice hire!! :)

I love the hires.  I have to say that it drove me crazy the guys pooping up on Caldwell or Dungy's staffs.

1 person likes this

It's looking like the offensive line & Defense are the main focuses for the off-season imo

By the way,  there are a couple of shout-outs to Grigson for the hires....

I think those may be misplaced.    Normally,  it's the head coach who hires the coaching staff,  NOT the GM.

I'm sure Grigson has some input,  but typically the final decision rests with the HC.

So,  props to Pagano too....    I think he's the guy to single out.....

I love the hires. I have to say that it drove me crazy the guys pooping up on Caldwell or Dungy's staffs.

Hehe. You said poop.

2 people like this

Was hoping someone would see this and post this....   this is a double very good move the Colts...

Think we got better today.   Always a good thing.     Curious as to where Berbenich ends up...   right now he's just an "offensive assistant"....    OK...

Sounds like whatever he ends up doing,  he'll add value...

Today is a good day in Colt's Nation!      :thmup:

Probably just stay with that title no ?  Looks to be that there are no "empty spots" on the Colt staff. I wonder if they over paid for Hunter as this is a big step down for him.

Probably just stay with that title no ?  Looks to be that there are no "empty spots" on the Colt staff. I wonder if they over paid for Hunter as this is a big step down for him.

If I had to guess, I'd say Hunter is making less than he made in San Diego as the Chargers OC,  but more than the typical assistant position coach might earn.    Perhaps somewhere in the middle.    Hope both sides are happy with how it worked out....

Agreed

Ryan Grigson has his eyes on the prize with these newest additions to the staff now get a center . Samson Satele is no Jeff Saturday .

GØ Ç♥L╪§ ♫♫

he is already on the roster...... A.Q. Shipley

he is already on the roster...... A.Q. Shipley

True   Hopefully he is the man . I just was'nt overly impressed he has the size if he can aid in the running game awesome , At this point keeping our QB upright & creating wholes for the RB is a necessity for the Colts to have success in the WCO .

Sounds like good hires. Don't know much about either but have trust in the front office for bringing them in. 

On a side note, I didn't see anything posted about it, but Marwan Maalouf(ex-special teams coach) was hired as an assistant special teams coach in Miami. So he left and took a demotion with the Dolphins, so there had to be some kind of dispute between him and the Colts. Still wonder what happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/31/dolphins-announce-several-coaching-changes/

In addition to the promotions, The Dolphins also hired former Colts special teams coach Marwan Maalouf as their assistant special teams coach. Maalouf replaces Dave Fipp, who went to the Eagles to become their special teams coach, after leaving Indianapolis. Maalouf followed Chuck Pagano to Indianapolis after spending four years with the Ravens, but the team said it was a mutual decision to part ways after just one season.