Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This colts defense WILL finish top 15 this year.

StewieG

Bank on it.

We are so much more physical on defense, our run defense will be maybe the best since the 2006 playoffs.

I fully expect powers and bethea to absolutely own in the secondary.

Jerry Hughes will have a break out year and have 5 sacks (maybe more) this year.

Our pass rushing overall will be the best it has been in a long time with all the blitzes.

Also expect Mathis and Freeney to both have 10+ sacks once again this year.

I know it is preseason and I might be overly optimistic, but Pagano is putting his staple on this defense.

Does anyone agree? What do you guys think?

I dont see Mathis and Freeney doing that well this year basically cause I have yet to see them do well in the preseason so I will elieve it when I see it. Jerry Hughes should continue to do well in this system I think. Bethea should do very well but Powers I doubt simply because I havent seen it yet and he has shown he cant keep up with the faster wide receivers, Pagano is putting his staple on the defense no doubt with all the pressure but we still have a ways to go before he gets all the pieces he needs for the Colts to be a true force on that side of the ball. We are 29th in the league in completion percentage allowed, so if opposing teams get the pass off its been completed 68.4 percent of the time only slightly down from last years 69.8, in the preseason last year (I know its preseason and still two games to go in it). With that said we have done really good (to this point) in total passing yards allowed (11th).

I dont see Mathis and Freeney doing that well this year basically cause I have yet to see them do well in the preseason so I will elieve it when I see it. Jerry Hughes should continue to do well in this system I think. Bethea should do very well but Powers I doubt simply because I havent seen it yet and he has shown he cant keep up with the faster wide receivers, Pagano is putting his staple on the defense no doubt with all the pressure but we still have a ways to go before he gets all the pieces he needs for the Colts to be a true force on that side of the ball. We are 29th in the league in completion percentage allowed, so if opposing teams get the pass off its been completed 68.4 percent of the time only slightly down from last years 69.8, in the preseason last year (I know its preseason and still two games to go in it). With that said we have done really good (to this point) in total passing yards allowed (11th).

I agree with most of what you said, but we haven't seen really enough of freeney or mathis to judge. I don't even think they have played a full first quarter yet. I just have a feeling both will thrive in it. I mainly think we will do much better because we are actually putting more emphasis on the defense. Pagano and Manusky will coach up a pretty good defense, in my opinion.

I don't know about top 15 this year, but in 3 or 4 years, I do think we will be top 15 or top 10. The future is bright!

I could be wrong about it happening this year, but no doubt we will have some really good defenses in the coming years.

I could be wrong about it happening this year, but no doubt we will have some really good defenses in the coming years.

Our LB and DL group seems set. I think our secondary needs the most help and improving the DT spot wouldn't hurt. Other than that, I think it's a matter of getting the guys used to the system

I agree with most of what you said, but we haven't seen really enough of freeney or mathis to judge. I don't even think they have played a full first quarter yet. I just have a feeling both will thrive in it. I mainly think we will do much better because we are actually putting more emphasis on the defense. Pagano and Manusky will coach up a pretty good defense, in my opinion.

Im hoping Freeney and Mathis do well, I just find it hard to believe since Mathis will be dropping back alot which means Freeney will be our primary pass rusher although I loved the blitz that was orchestrated with Kavell Conner yesterday, I love watching a QB's eyes flare wide open with a blitz right up the middle

Bank on it.

We are so much more physical on defense, our run defense will be maybe the best since the 2006 playoffs.

Jerry Hughes will have a break out year and have 5 sacks (maybe more) this year.

Our pass rushing overall will be the best it has been in a long time with all the blitzes.

I know it is preseason and I might be overly optimistic, but Pagano is putting his staple on this defense.

I am going on record as saying the defense will be immeasurably better (how could it not :)) I am not going to put a number on it until we see how injuries pan out, and how cuts transpire.

Pagano must think Havoc and Mayhem are going to do well in this defense....or they would get more reps. Third game is the charm? I have simply been giddy about Addison and Hughes....playing that OLB....Drake Nevis looks to be a monster. Brandon McKinney had 4 tackles as a nos tackle being double teamed. How a about the Jerry Brown sighting this past week?

Latarius Thomas was making Bethea hits out there last week...he will stick if it continues. We allowed 26 points (1 defensive TD) against a well coached team. As some have stated here. The future is bright....I am ready for Saturday night...anyone else? :) GO COLTS!

Bank on it.

I love the enthusiasm, but I think it's a bit premature to have that high of expectations. Freeney will prob have the sack totals you're thinking because he is in Suggs role in the D, Mathis on the other hand will fall into coverage fairly often so it will be harder for him to get those totals. He's not coming after the passer every down like he used to. Besides Powers we need somebody at the CB spot that can prove they are worthy of being on a top 15 defense. Zbikowski needs to step it up too, I haven't been overly impressed with him so far (although I do like the guy). As somebody that has been in this system I guess I expected a little more out of him than what I've seen. Redding staying healthy will be key to how this defense does, as the most veteran member of a 3-4 he will go a long way in making sure guys are where they need to be on the field. All that being said this D should be a big improvement over the last couple years, as we are building a D that should be able to stand on their own and not have to have a decent lead to be effective. IMO we are still a few years away from acquiring the personnel we need to be a consistent top 10-15 D.

It would be an improvement but 15th is still barely above average.

If you are talking yardage, last year's 15th spot would be an improvement of about 25 yards a game.

If you are talking points allowed, last year's 15th spot would be an improvement of about 5 points a game.

I'll take the 5 points a game please!

I think we should look to Draft players who run the 3-4 in College. I know every 3-4 is a bit different and all, but I think it'd be easier for a player who comes from a 3-4 to learn it than a player who comes from a 4-3. If that makes sense.

Even though it also could just depend on the player as well

I wish the NFL would devise formulas for offensive and defensive rankings like they do the QB rating. Simply going by total yds given up (defense) and total yds gained (offense) doesn't tell nearly enough of the story.

That is true, if you are speaking in simple stats, I would prefer points over yards. Even then it's not a full story. Luck's pick six Sunday night adds 7 to the points allowed.

Even if someone takes out any defensive or special team scores, it's still not a full story.

There should be some combined formula that would reward/penalize 3 & out's, 3rd down conversions and quite possibly TOP even though that can be overrated on a game to game basis. Of course other variables could come into play and could likely be included.

Then on the other hand a complex formula like that would fail just because the average fan fails to comprehend it.

Like the "real" QB rating. It's made up of 4 qualifiers. Cmp %, YPA, TD% and INT%. Even then a lot of people dismiss it because they don't fully understand it while others use it as the only factor. To me both examples are wrong.

I'm just happy that it's no longer just Freeney & Mathis against 5 O-Lineman. They finally have help across the board. Even though some of us don't like Johnson & Moala, so far they've been the starters and they may stay that way. But me personally, I like the way Mathews, Nevis, & that Giant McKinney have been playing.

That is true, if you speaking in simple stats, I would prefer points over yards. Even then it's not a full story. Luck's pick six Sunday night adds 7 to the points allowed.

Even if someone takes out any defensive or special team scores, it's still not a full story.

There should be some combined formula that would reward/penalize 3 & out's, 3rd down conversions and quite possibly TOP even though that can be overrated on a game to game basis. Of course other variables could come into play and could likely be included.

Then on the other hand a complex formula like that would fail just because the average fan fails to comprehend it.

Like the "real" QB rating. It's made up of 4 qualifiers. Cmp %, YPA, TD% and INT%. Even then a lot of people dismiss it because they don't fully understand it while others use it as the only factor. To me both examples are wrong.

....well, what I like about the QB rating, though imperfect, at least includes multple items...I don't even know what the formula is, but it surely must be better than just total yds....

....well, what I like about the QB rating, though imperfect, at least includes multple items...I don't even know what the formula is, but it surely must be better than just total yds....

I agree. It's complicated formula, but at the end of the day it takes into consideration the completion %, yards per attempt and the respective % of throws that end in a touchdown or interception.

I think one could improve on it a bit.

ESPN created their version a year or two and to me it's not anywhere near as strong as the one that was created in the 70's.

In a sense a 25 yardTouchdown pass that took a lead in the final minute of a 4th quarter has more value than a 25 yard touchdown pass in the 3rd that adds to a 20 point lead, so it is hard to quantify the difference in the end results of the two plays.

There will never be a perfect system.

I think we should look to Draft players who run the 3-4 in College. I know every 3-4 is a bit different and all, but I think it'd be easier for a player who comes from a 3-4 to learn it than a player who comes from a 4-3. If that makes sense.

Even though it also could just depend on the player as well

That will be a key component of the scouting, so while if Team x runs a 3-4, you can see players in similar positions to what you run, but there will still be a stud defensive end in a 4-3 that could look really good as an OLB, or a 3 technique in the 4-3 that could play the nose or possibly a 5 in the 3-4.

Many other factors other than just simply the scheme go into scouting/drafting. I doubt they will ignore a school because run this or that, the will look at a player and try to vision how he would play in Pagano's hybrid.

I don't know about top 15 this year, but in 3 or 4 years, I do think we will be top 15 or top 10. The future is bright!

Top 15 is still average....no reason not to think this group can be average. When your pass rushers are Mathis and Freeney, and you are willing to move them around as well as bring other blitz looks, I don't care who is in your secondary - you have a chance to be at least average, especially when they should be significantly improved against the run by scheme and personnel.

That will be a key component of the scouting, so while if Team x runs a 3-4, you can see players in similar positions to what you run, but there will still be a stud defensive end in a 4-3 that could look really good as an OLB, or a 3 technique in the 4-3 that could play the nose or possibly a 5 in the 3-4.

Many other factors other than just simply the scheme go into scouting/drafting. I doubt they will ignore a school because run this or that, the will look at a player and try to vision how he would play in Pagano's hybrid.

Yeah, I figured all of that. I just hope we start bringing some Longhorns, Crimson Tide, LSU Tigers, & Georgia Bulldogs in. Those teams have some talented players.

This...and rather few college teams using the 3-4. Not much to choose from.

This...and rather few college teams using the 3-4. Not much to choose from.

College defenses are all over the place.. 4-2-5, 3-3-5, most still run a variation of a 4-3, but for the most part they have a bigger range than NFL defenses which generally stick to a 4-3, or 3-4 or a combination hybrid. Of course with the game changing teams are running more and more nickle too.

I think an improvement is a given. The defense struggled last year because they had to play too much. Without Peyton the offense was mired in mud and stalled too many times with a three and out. Just having Luck will extend the time the offense has the ball giving less chances for the opposition offense to get on the field.

I think an improvement is a given. The defense struggled last year because they had to play too much. Without Peyton the offense was mired in mud and stalled too many times with a three and out. Just having Luck will extend the time the offense has the ball giving less chances for the opposition offense to get on the field.

If we can even get some teams to play from behind, that'll help our pass rush as well IMO

Actually Im not sold on that theory of time of posession between 2010 and 2011. In 2010 we averaged 26:46 time of possession a game compared to 2011 24:17 a game thats :17 seconds more then a two minute warning. Our time of posession was the worst in the league without Manning however I just dont think it was that big of a difference

Yeah, I figured all of that. I just hope we start bringing some Longhorns, Crimson Tide, LSU Tigers, & Georgia Bulldogs in. Those teams have some talented players.

That is why we have advanced scouts TK. That is why we have Dominique Jones from Shepherd College, Jabin Sambrano from Montana, Mario Addison from Troy.

There are two elder statesmen from tiny schools...Adam Vinatieri South Dakota State....Robert Mathis Alabama A&M.......

This is the National Football league.......not the SECFL. Look where Jerrell Freeman came from....Homework for my Horned Frog!!

That is why we have advanced scouts TK. That is why we have Dominique Jones from Shepherd College, Jabin Sambrano from Montana, Mario Addison from Troy.

There are two elder statesmen from tiny schools...Adam Vinatieri South Dakota State....Robert Mathis Alabama A&M.......

This is the National Football league.......not the SECFL. Look where Jerrell Freeman came from....Homework for my Horned Frog!!

I know there's talent everyone, it was a mere opinion. Brazill came from Ohio, Harnish from Northern Illinois, Ty Ty from FIU.... so I know there's talent everywhere...but everyone has a school that they'd like their NFL team to draft a few players from IMO

I know there's talent everyone, it was a mere opinion. Brazill came from Ohio, Harnish from Northern Illinois, Ty Ty from FIU.... so I know there's talent everywhere...but everyone has a school that they'd like their NFL team to draft a few players from IMO

If I can find a cover corner in Kenya....I am on it... I knew waht you meant, but some of you young folks fall in love with a conference....an offense...a defense...keep an open mind....love talking this stuff with young fans!!!

We have been very vanilla in regards to what we have shown defensively. We will be very solid!! Mathis and Freeny will cause havoc. Trust me we havent shown anything that people can watch on film yet. Our secondary will make plays simply because of the pressure we will apply. Freeny and Mathis will line up everywhere on our line. I am impressed with our linebacker play. We look more athletic and we are flying around laying wood.

If I can find a cover corner in Kenya....I am on it... I knew waht you meant, but some of you young folks fall in love with a conference....an offense...a defense...keep an open mind....love talking this stuff with young fans!!!

Me? I'm not a fan of the SEC. I just like Georgia cause I'm from there. And I threw Bama & LSU in there just cause they usually have the MOST players in the draft every year IMO.

But I'm a fan of the Big 12. TCU & Texas Longhorns are the teams I support

Bank on it.

acctually 2006 was probably the worse run defense the colts had that decade... they gave up almost 200 ypg dat year in the regular season..... as far as the playoffs, if my memory serves correctly bob sanders had made a recovery and came back that wild card game vs kansas which bossted the d in the playoffs thus we have a championship banner in LOS.... as far as this year i agree but ill go as far as to say top 10

acctually 2006 was probably the worse run defense the colts had that decade... they gave up almost 200 ypg dat year in the regular season..... as far as the playoffs, if my memory serves correctly bob sanders had made a recovery and came back that wild card game vs kansas which bossted the d in the playoffs thus we have a championship banner in LOS.... as far as this year i agree but ill go as far as to say top 10

wow tottally misread dat din see where u put playoffs...... so heck all around truth then good thread

I like the defense but I'm not totally sold on Zibikowski at safety and we don't have much depth beyond him. The cornerback depth beyond King and Powers also needs to be upgraded. I have a feeling we may be able to find a player or two in free agency once the final cuts are made.

Me? I'm not a fan of the SEC. I just like Georgia cause I'm from there. And I threw Bama & LSU in there just cause they usually have the MOST players in the draft every year IMO.

But I'm a fan of the Big 12. TCU & Texas Longhorns are the teams I support

I need to keep an eye on you...HA HA!