Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Year's Make-Or-Break List

21isSuperman

Last year, I made a list of players and coaches who I thought were in their make or break year. The list consisted of Brown (still on team), Gonzo (who is now gone-zo), Diem (retired), Lacey (gone), Coyer (gone), and Rychleski (gone). The thread was made at a time where we still didn't know if Peyton was going to play and I had said that barring something catastrophic, Caldwell and Polian would be back...we saw how that turned out. This year, my make-or-break list includes:

Jerry Hughes - this is his 3rd year in the league. The final pick from that year's draft class (Kavell Connor) has done more to warrant a roster spot than Hughes. With that said, one could say that Hughes was stuck behind two All-Pros. He is now in a defense more suited for his abilities and has a new coaching staff, so he is in no one's doghouse. If he doesn't make plays this year (which it sounds like he has been making plenty of plays in camp), he will be gone.

Moala - I'm a little iffy putting Moala on here. He showed some decent ability in the 4-3 as a DT, but (if I remember correctly), he played a lot of 3-4 at USC. If he doesn't show that he can do well in the 3-4, I think he will be gone. The problem is that since we are transitioning to a new defense, the coaching staff/management might give him another year to get used to the new defense.

Link - I still don't know why he is on the team. I have never been sold on him. He is an ok backup, but he isn't a starter

Brown - He was on the list last year and played decently towards the end of the season. Now, he is the starter and Pagano has faith in him. If he doesn't do well, I could see him being released since we have Vick Ballard (who people have claimed could be a starter) and Carter (as long as he works on his fumbling issues).

Mike Newton - At this point, some of you might be say "who?". My point exactly.

Rucker - He was a promising player coming out of college. He had some off-the-field troubles, but his talent was there. I read one analysis that had said if Rucker had no character issues, he would have been a 2nd round pick. This year, he should get lots of playing time since our secondary isn't necessarily the most complete unit we have. If he shows some potential with the new coaches, I think he will last another year.

--

That's my list. It's a little hard to determine who is in a make-or-break year since there are so many new pieces, including coaching and management. Those new individuals may decide to give these players one more year to adjust to all the new systems. Who would you add? I thought about adding some more O-linemen to the list (such as Reitz), but I keep arguing with myself about it.

It is really hard to tell who is or isn't in danger of losing their job next season. This is a transition yr. and just about everybody on the team with the exception of a few are going to be under the microscope all season.

There are going to be some guys that are here this yr. simply because the team has no other better options to fill the positions, because of better guys not being available and because we couldn't afford them even if they were.

IMO, there is going to be another huge turnover for players next offseason too because we will have a ton of cap space next summer and a lot more opportunity for upgrades throughout the roster.

I wouldn't get to attached to most of the guy's on the team this yr. because many of them will be playing for somebody else next season.

Not sure how much -- if any -- 3/4 Moala played at USC. Their base defense under Pete Carroll was always a 4-3.

I didn't watch them like a hawk, but I suppose it's possible they ran some 3-4. Just not very much.

But I also think someone of Moala's physical talents (same with Nevis) should be able to make the transition reasonably well.

I expect both to be decent players. Just how decent is the question.

In general - anyone in their 3rd year who hasn't shown much in their first two seasons are in their make or break year.

Then the rule of thumb should be - 1.) Is the guy behind him better. 2.) Is the next guy behind him as good and cheaper.

Seems like every guy on your list fits that test.

In general - anyone in their 3rd year who hasn't shown much in their first two seasons are in their make or break year.

Then the rule of thumb should be - 1.) Is the guy behind him better. 2.) Is the next guy behind him as good and cheaper.

Seems like every guy on your list fits that test.

2009 draft class:

-Collie (in no danger of losing his job)

-Powers (same)

-Brown (on the list)

-Moala (on the list)

-Taylor (not on the team)

-McAfee (won't lose his job)

-Painter (gone)

-Jaimie Thomas (not on the team)

Who's Jaimie Thomas & Taylor?

Jaimie Thomas was a guard we drafted in the 7th round out of Maryland who didn't end up doing much. Terrance Taylor was a DT we took from Michigan who had a ridiculous showing at the Combine bench press, but didn't amount to much in the NFL

He is also known to suplex RBs

Fili Moala

Antonio Johnson

Jerraud Powers

Drake Nevis

Mike Newton

Jeff Linkenbach

Joe Reitz

Anthony Castonzo

Mike Mcglynn

Winston Justice

Dwight Freeney

Don't think those two fit the category. Freeney won't be cut next year. He either won't be re-signed because of salary or age. I'd say Castonzo would be safe next season unless he has a Ugoh type of meltdown.

Fili Moala

Antonio Johnson

Jerraud Powers

Drake Nevis

Mike Newton

Jeff Linkenbach

Joe Reitz

Anthony Castonzo

Mike Mcglynn

Winston Justice

Dwight Freeney

The guy is just getting ready to start his second season. He missed some of last year due to injury. I think it might be a little too soon to write off a first round pick.

The guy is just getting ready to start his second season. He missed some of last year due to injury. I think it might be a little too soon to write off a first round pick.

Not writing him off but if he gives up sacks at the pace he did last year 7 in 12 games I believe it was then we may have to bring in more competition through the draft or free agency next year, competition isn't replacing him its just covering the team in case he does not improve

Not writing him off but if he gives up sacks at the pace he did last year 7 in 12 games I believe it was then we may have to bring in more competition through the draft or free agency next year, competition isn't replacing him its just covering the team in case he does not improve

Your kidding right??? Jake Long, considered one of the best tackles in football has allowed 52 sacks in 62 career starts. Bryan Bulaga gave up 11 sacks his rookie yr.. Castonzo showed a lot of promise as a rookie. How anybody could say he's on the chopping block next yr. is comical to me. He's one of a dozen or so that is completely safe as long as he does not just quit and give up.

Dont think rucker should be on that list, he's still a very young CB who's just getting things under him not to mention was a rookie last year... Brown isnt going anywhere unless He's overtaken by a rookie which isnt gonna happen or suddenly has fumbling issues..

One person who should be on that list is freeney, he's old doesnt want to take a lesser deal and there's a OLB behind him who's younger, cheaper, and better suited for the scheme than he is.

How many of those sacks were because we had a QB that couldn't/wouldn't get rid of the ball in time? If he gave up too many sacks with an adequate QB back there I could almost and I mean almost get behind your argument.

How many of those sacks were because we had a QB that couldn't/wouldn't get rid of the ball in time? If he gave up too many sacks with an adequate QB back there I could almost and I mean almost get behind your argument.

Orlovsky is adequate if you ask me, not a starter I dont think over the whole season (maybe) but put him in last year from the start and we dont have Luck now, heck an argument could be made as close as alot of our games were we could have contended for a wild card if he was in. But this year will be an adequate test in regards to our O Line because and I dont think its presumptious to say this, we have a better quarterback then anything we had last year.

If you really want to be technical. I'd have to say everyone on this team including coaches, even Jim Irsay need to be on the list. 2-14 record and all of these talk about 'reloading, not rebuilding' We'll see after the preseason and we actually play a game worth meaning.

If you really want to be technical. I'd have to say everyone on this team including coaches, even Jim Irsay need to be on the list. 2-14 record and all of these talk about 'reloading, not rebuilding' We'll see after the preseason and we actually play a game worth meaning.

Pre season means something now to

and Moala and Antonio Johnson, I think if Chapman plays well when he finally is able to get on the field then it could spell the end for Johnson

Moala isn't as terrible as he's made out to be. He's in a contract year, and I kind of doubt he'll be here next season unless he has a superb season. I can buy that argument.

I'm not concerned with Antonio Johnson. He's also in the last year of his contract, but it's not like he's getting ready to be out of the league. I also don't think our hopes for the future hinge on how well he plays, even if he's great at nose tackle.

Hughes is a bad season away from being out of the league, and a good season from being the starter in a promising defense. I just think he has a lot more riding on him right now than anyone else, especially since he's not hitting free agency next year unless he's cut.

Orlovsky is adequate if you ask me, not a starter I dont think over the whole season (maybe) but put him in last year from the start and we dont have Luck now, heck an argument could be made as close as alot of our games were we could have contended for a wild card if he was in. But this year will be an adequate test in regards to our O Line because and I dont think its presumptious to say this, we have a better quarterback then anything we had last year.

I would say that nobody we had at QB last year was adequate. A guy whose career stats are 2-10, 58.5 comp %, 137 YPG, 14 tds, 12 ints, and 29 sacks isn't adequate if you ask me. I think the fact that he was an improvement over Painter (which really isn't saying a lot) is kind of misleading. The coaches really didn't start changing/tailoring the offense until Orlovsky started playing. They kept trying to get Collins and Painter to play like they were Manning, which was impossible. Had the OC and HC gotten together and actually try to tailor the offense to Painter I'm guessing he would have been in a better position to succeed. Instead they failed him and failed us as fans. We can split hairs all that we can, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I will gladly take Stanton or Harnish for that matter over Dan O any day of the week. A guy whose claim to fame is being better than Painter isn't a glowing endorsement in my book.

Moala isn't as terrible as he's made out to be. He's in a contract year, and I kind of doubt he'll be here next season unless he has a superb season. I can buy that argument.

I'm not concerned with Antonio Johnson. He's also in the last year of his contract, but it's not like he's getting ready to be out of the league. I also don't think our hopes for the future hinge on how well he plays, even if he's great at nose tackle.

Hughes is a bad season away from being out of the league, and a good season from being the starter in a promising defense. I just think he has a lot more riding on him right now than anyone else, especially since he's not hitting free agency next year unless he's cut.

Not high on Hughes, he hasnt flashed enough in camp in my opinion but Johnson has had a few years as well to show that he could hold down the fort and be our defensive/nose tackle for the forseeable future and thats with him starting unlike Hughes and to me he hasn't gotten the job done, he couldnt get it done in the 4-3 to me the 3-4 is his last shot to stick here, I know Pagano seems to think he can get the job done. Im no professional I have made that pretty clear since I been here but I do wonder when a players chances of trying to make an impact on the team really run out at this point because Johnson has had his share, Just my thoughts I may be wrong

I would say that nobody we had at QB last year was adequate. A guy whose career stats are 2-10, 58.5 comp %, 137 YPG, 14 tds, 12 ints, and 29 sacks isn't adequate if you ask me. I think the fact that he was an improvement over Painter (which really isn't saying a lot) is kind of misleading. The coaches really didn't start changing/tailoring the offense until Orlovsky started playing. They kept trying to get Collins and Painter to play like they were Manning, which was impossible. Had the OC and HC gotten together and actually try to tailor the offense to Painter I'm guessing he would have been in a better position to succeed. Instead they failed him and failed us as fans. We can split hairs all that we can, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I will gladly take Stanton or Harnish for that matter over Dan O any day of the week. A guy whose claim to fame is being better than Painter isn't a glowing endorsement in my book.

I agree with all you said, the coaching staff failed to properly use Painter and his own strengths but still Im taking Orlovsky