Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edge v Ricky

IndyTrav

I was discussing something the other day with a fellow fan regarding Edge being a better selection thab Ricky. Although at the time I do think Edge was better, it is remarkable how close these two are in career #s. That being said Edge also had a huge advantage when it came to teammates. Say what you will about Ricky and his 'problems' but the guy had a remarkable career.

Edge- 148g-3028att-12246yds-80td-4.0avg

Led the league twice in yds, once in att 4PB 1AP

Ricky-147g-2431att-10009yds-66td-4.1avg

Led league twice in att, once in yds, 1PB 1AP

Edge-433rec-3364yds-11td-7.8avg

Ricky-342rec-2606yds-8td-7.6 avg

So, had the Ricky been selected by Indy, would he be the superior RB?

Well if you want to play that game you have to ask two other major what ifs what if edge hadn't had the major knee injury and what if Williams hadn't taken a year off.

Also would Williams have forced a trade to Miami had he been a colt like he did with the saints?

Also I am not sure if Williams was as good in the pass game as edge was and I know Williams wasn't nearly as good of a blocker and that was something huge in our offense that doesn't show up on any stat sheet.

I think the most interesting thing about the Edge vs. Ricky deal way back when is this...

Ricky was a consensus top-5 player in that draft.... Heck, we probably all remember Philly passing on him to take Donovan McNabb and how Philly fans went NUTS.

Edge was a 1st round projection, but not top-5. No one saw that coming.

And when it was Indy's turn, many expected the name to be Ricky Williams. And when the name was Edgerrin James that was shock in the reaction that day. How could the Colts have passed on the better RB? How could the Colts have passed on Ricky Williams, who was great, for a guy most thought was very good? Most thought the Colts had made a terrible mistake.

Props to a guy who is very, very unpopular around here. Props to Bill Polian who made that call. And a darn good call it was.

Now, we he felt the need to get rid of Marshall Faulk, that one I'd like to know. Perhaps it was a contract issue? Perhaps Marshall wanted out of Indy? Dunno. I suspect someone here can come along and give me the 411 on that one.

But Edge over Ricky is a darn nice line on Polian's resume'.

Well if you want to play that game you have to ask two other major what ifs what if edge hadn't had the major knee injury and what if Williams hadn't taken a year off.

Also would Williams have forced a trade to Miami had he been a colt like he did with the saints?

Also I am not sure if Williams was as good in the pass game as edge was and I know Williams wasn't nearly as good of a blocker and that was something huge in our offense that doesn't show up on any stat sheet.

That's why I find it so interesting. The what if aspect. Edge played 1 more game than Ricky, and statistically they are absurdly close.

Ricky was right in line with Edge in the passing game, But once again played with far less talent.

He wasn't a push over when it came to blocking.

I think in Colts land it is viewed that way, but from the outside looking in, it's a debatable topic. The talent surrounding Edge is unquestionable. To the extent that the year Edge was injured Rhodes started 10 games and rushed for over 1k and had 1.3k 9tds from scrimmage. I think Edge was put in a position to succeed far more than what Williams was.

Is Ricky still on the Ravens?

He retired.

Ricky was an excellent college back and a very good pro back, but he did have some off the field issues. He was busted on drug charges multiple times whereas Edge, would he have not gotten injured, never got into off the field trouble that I remember and would have had even better numbers. I think Edge was the better pick of the two.

To me they were different types of backs.

Edge fit the offense better than Williams. Williams was better suited being the center/focus of an offense in an I formation and Edge was better suited being a solo back. Edge was more fluid and versatile while Williams seemed to be a stronger inside runner.

I'm not saying Williams wouldn't have worked, I just think Edge was a better fit in the puzzle.

I think the most interesting thing about the Edge vs. Ricky deal way back when is this...

Ricky was a consensus top-5 player in that draft.... Heck, we probably all remember Philly passing on him to take Donovan McNabb and how Philly fans went NUTS.

And when it was Indy's turn, many expected the name to be Ricky Williams. And when the name was Edgerrin James that was shock in the reaction that day. How could the Colts have passed on the better RB? How could the Colts have passed on Ricky Williams, who was great, for a guy most thought was very good? Most thought the Colts had made a terrible mistake.

Props to a guy who is very, very unpopular around here. Props to Bill Polian who made that call. And a darn good call it was.

Now, we he felt the need to get rid of Marshall Faulk, that one I'd like to know. Perhaps it was a contract issue? Perhaps Marshall wanted out of Indy? Dunno. I suspect someone here can come along and give me the 411 on that one.

Re Faulk, it was contract and a 'youth' thing. Marshall wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league, and I suspect the team wanted Peyton to be the "face". If I remember correctly Edge met every bonus req in his contract so he wasnt cheap.

Also, didnt his "hand" size have to do with his selection over Ricky?

Re Faulk, it was contract and a 'youth' thing. Marshall wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league, and I suspect the team wanted Peyton to be the "face". If I remember correctly Edge met every bonus req in his contract so he wasnt cheap.

Also, didnt his "hand" size have to do with his selection over Ricky?

I think the reference to 'hand size' came from MRS. Polian and not Bill, if ya know what I mean!? :thmup:

I'm a bad boy sometimes, a bad, BAD boy!! haha :dancing:

Edge had one more game and over 2700 total offensive yards and 14 more total TDs. I dont see how thats close, but since their both in the 10k rushing club, that number looks small.. but 2700 total offensive yards is like 1 1/2 or a full 2 seasons for a good RB

Edge also had 688 more touches. 597 more rushing attempts. At Rickys career 4.1, thats 2,447 yards he could have had, had he touched it as much as Edge.

1st, thanks to everyone for their comments and to SMonroe for the history on Faulk.... that sounds right and reasonable.

Also, I mangled the english language in my original post ( :facepalm: ) I was **trying** to say Rodgers wasn't known for having a gun in college and that his arm has gotten stronger since coming to the NFL. I think the same is true of other QB's, Brady for another one.

My final point is this..... in HINDSIGHT, we all seem to agree that Edge over Ricky was the right call. But on that fateful day those many years ago, that was a bold, daring, even courageous decision. Somebody had the courage of their convictions. Jobs are lost over decisions like that. A less secure GM plays it safe and takes Ricky knowing if it doesn't work out he can always say, Ricky was the clear and obvious choice. But Polian and his staff really did their homework and stuck to their guns.

If there had been the internet back then and this message board was around, there would have been a meltdown over how bad that decision was. That's what fans do. But, turns out, it was the right call. Edge was the right guy for the right team at the right time.

Props to Polian and staff. Mad props. It worked just as they hoped it would.

If there had been the internet back then and this message board was around, there would have been a meltdown over how bad that decision was. That's what fans do.

What? The Colts might not have had a message board back then, but the Internet definitely existed when Edge was drafted.

Edge also had 688 more touches. 597 more rushing attempts. At Rickys career 4.1, thats 2,447 yards he could have had, had he touched it as much as Edge.

Great idea for a July topic - considering that people around here are suffering even more from football withdrawal than they are from heat.

How about another twist. Edge had a 4.2 average with the Colts over 7 seasons The Colts knew he was done, but he hung on for four more not so great seasons with a 3.6 average. Of those seven Colt seasons, four of them were over 1,500 yards. His consistency was incredible - to the point that I don't think it would be hard to argue that he would have exceeded 1,500 yards in all seven seasons (and who knows, perhaps still been playing at a high enough level to be resigned) if not for the knee injury. You are talking shoe-in hall of fame territory.

I get your point, and it's entirely possible that Williams had more ability. On "any given Sunday", it might be hard to pick one over the other. He was a brutal straight ahead back with incredible athletic ability. But the key element to me in this comparison is the same thing that makes the information you presented a "surprise" in the first place. For much of his career he was more of a running joke than a running back. He was pulling 3.5s (and waxing romantic about pot at every moment) at an age when Edge was arguably the best running back in the sport. Williams had only one season over 1,500 yards. The seeming statistical similarly has a lot to do with Williams being effective to an older ago - something that his "vacations" and comparatively reduced usage (only 3 seasons with 300+ carries compared to Edges 7) surely contributed to. Plus as others have said, Edge was simply a much better fit for our offense. Everything considered, I remained utterly delighted that the Colts made the choice that they made.

BUT

I never liked the fact that Faulk was traded, nor what they got for him. Imagine if you will that Faulk wasn't traded, and that instead that pick was used on Torry Holt. Who was "the greatest show on turf" again. I don't know if it would have been the Colts, but it sure as heck wouldn't have been the Rams.

What? The Colts might not have had a message board back then, but the Internet definitely existed when Edge was drafted.

Fair enough.... but you get the primary point.... there was no message board back then. And if there had been.... well......

:slaphead: :facepalm::omg:-omg-:scratch::bored::yuk: :pullhair: :no::wall::thmdown:

If I remember correctly there was a colts forum around the time of edge being a colt and I remember that alot of people used to be so mad that during OTA's and off-season workouts he wouldn't work out with the team but down at the U. I remember people used to say that he wasn't a good teammate that he was selfish, etc. etc etc and I would always laugh when he would come in to mini-camp cut up and ready to put in work, then him and Wayne started doing that as well.

Man I used to love watching him run! He is my favorite colts running back ever. I remember seeing him when I lived in Seattle and he put up 217 yds against the seahawks. Ironically enough the only game I have ever been to at LOS was when edge was playing for the seahawks and they paid tribute to him during the 3rd qtr.

If we could get another running back like that. . . .

When he was a colt that was the last time we had a good running game and we could run the stretch play effectively.