Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The o line-potential might be there

Jules

Thats fine, I was just going off again on a tangent over the idea of throwing that many times in big games. :) Many feel the run game does not matter as much in today's NFL. I disagree. You still need some sort of balance.

I don't think the idea is that you don't need an effective running game. It's that you DO need an effective passing game (run and stop the run doesn't hold true as it has for so long), and that you don't need a premiere back in order to have an effective running game. But you do need a good quarterback (or a quarterback who is playing well, at least) in order to have a good passing game.

I don't think the idea is that you don't need an effective running game. It's that you DO need an effective passing game (run and stop the run doesn't hold true as it has for so long), and that you don't need a premiere back in order to have an effective running game. But you do need a good quarterback (or a quarterback who is playing well, at least) in order to have a good passing game.

This I agree with.

I still feel this o line has potential though to be solid in Indy. I just hope they can stay in one piece......

I have read a lot of trashing on the o line in recent articles and predictions for this team which has inspired me to try to stick up for them at times.

Not to mention the dropped Garcon catch, an injured Freeney, a defense that couldn't tackle Pierre Thomas...and let's not forget that dreaded onside kick, which is a whole other story. Some also say the bounty stuff had a role. I'm not trying to make excuses though. We lost because we didn't execute.

Thomas had 9 rushes for 30 yards in that game, we lost because that pick 6

This I agree with.

I still feel this o line has potential though to be solid in Indy. I just hope they can stay in one piece......

I have read a lot of trashing on the o line in recent articles and predictions for this team which has inspired me to try to stick up for them at times.

There's a lot of negativity about the team, most of which I don't agree with. I don't expect us to set the world on fire, but I don't think we've done anything wrong with regard to the offensive line, either. We'll either be on our way, or we'll need to address it next offseason.

I decided not to read the same people saying the same things 24/7! One person in particular has become a know it all!

Castonzo, Reitz, Satele, McGlynn, and Justice etc. is/are better than last year's mish mash of Teppers, Olsens, Richards, Toudouze......Ojinnaka played hard...but another....casualty.

I may have misspelled a couple of names....This offense is 700% better than the "Mane" event 'led' by Curtis Painter. This team WILL be the surprise of the NFL!

Some of the statistics thrown out by know-it-alls mean nothing. I am glad I am back to wake some people up. My dad used to say "statistics prove it...." We can and shall not talk 100% accuracy. Teaching, great scouting...fundamentals????? Lets HUNT!

No I wouldnt say we didnt anything wrong, Castonzo was a 1st round pick on many boards also I think NFL Networks analysis of him is right for the most part Pick Analysis:

The selection of Castonzo shows that Bill Polian was serious about upgrading the protection of Peyton Manning. The Boston College star enters the league with a ton of experience and is one of the most technically sound players at the position. He gives the Colts a potential starter as a left or right tackle and some flexibility in configuring a rebuilt offensive line.

I think he will be much better this year, the reason Im not so high on Reitz is because, hes a guard, having alot of agility for a big man isnt a requirement for the most part at Guard, but being strong enough to create running lanes and mauling people is, thats not to say agility isnt a requirement because it is somewhat but not nearly as much as strength and having a nasty streak, something I didnt see from Reitz, he struggled mightily against the bull rush

Pick Analysis: The selection of Anthony Castonzo shows that Bill Polian was serious about upgrading the protection of Peyton Manning, The Boston College star enters the league with a ton of experience of experience and is one of the most technically sound players at the position. He gives the Colts a potential starter as a left or right tackle and some flexibility in configuring a rebuilt offensive line

Over view:

Castonzo has the potential to develop into a top left tackle capable of shutting down top speed rushers. Started his first game as a true freshman and didn't leave the field during his four years at BC. He has very good mobility. Masks his lack of strength, to a certain extent, with quickness and positioning. Would be a good fit in a zone-blocking scheme or on a club that loves the screen game. Will probably never be a favorable matchup when facing bigger, more powerful NFL defensive lineman. Still, Castonzo is a first rounder with a chance to be the first O-lineman taken.

Thomas had 9 rushes for 30 yards in that game, we lost because that pick 6

Really? It seemed like way more. From what I remember, I was really mad because we couldn't tackle him. I might be making a mistake though...but I'm not going to watch the game again to make sure.

We didn't lose because of any 1 play. It's very rare in the NFL to lose on one single play. Multiple factors decide the outcome.

Many think the o line is terrible and could get Luck killed. This is possible. But, for fun and interest I Iooked up last years total o line stats.

Colts finished the year ranked 15th out of 32. Not as horrible as many make it sound right? And the Colts never had solid QB help either all season long.

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

Now, of course feel free to analyze anything you want on this or delve much deeper. There are a few factors we cannot control or predict. And we lost Jeff Saturday but possibly have replaced him, so we will see on that one later.

Fun facts: The Colts gave up less sacks last season then the often praised Packers o line. The Colts gave up 3 more sacks then the heavily praised Patriots o line.

Nobody thinks the line is terrible but I cant look at five linemen who havent played together and tell you how they'll do.

I dont know that much about O-line play..

Watching Luck should be enteretaining but we know he's at least pretty good and the skill players have, well, skill.

But I just cant guess about the line until they play some games as a unit

And another thing.....with Lucks mobility, the Colt's should be able to intigrate into their offense the designed roll-out...like the Packers do with Rogers. Rogers rolls to the right a great deal, by design, and throws with pin point accuracy while moving away from pursuit. This will take some pressure off the O-line by not having to create a pocket every pass play, as with Manning....

And another thing.....with Lucks mobility, the Colt's should be able to intigrate into their offense the designed roll-out...like the Packers do with Rogers. Rogers rolls to the right a great deal, by design, and throws with pin point accuracy while moving away from pursuit. This will take some pressure off the O-line by not having to create a pocket every pass play, as with Manning....

Really? It seemed like way more. From what I remember, I was really mad because we couldn't tackle him. I might be making a mistake though...but I'm not going to watch the game again to make sure.

We didn't lose because of any 1 play. It's very rare in the NFL to lose on one single play. Multiple factors decide the outcome.

I like the players we have. I like the fact that this isn't some tapestry of # assembled out of sheer desperation but that these new guys are ones that Grigs scouted & loved. I am always a glass half-full kinda guy and that coupled with my patience usually makes my perspective more on the positive side. But that being what it is, I like these guys. They're bigger and from all reports have a meaner slant to them. I do not know what is happening in the smarts department but again, if Grigs approves, then who am I?

The season cannot get here soon enough.

Based on what he did last year, I don't get why so many on this board has so high hopes for ijalana.

He didn't exactly stand out to me.

He hardly played. But in the little bit of time he got, he played well, especially for a rookie. He was a standout prospect, and he has versatility to play four positions. Hopefully he can come back from his injury and continue showing improvement.

I doubt he stood out for anyone. The guy played in 4 games, and started...... zero. Then he got hurt. Most fans rarely notice a guy like that. And I include me in that group of fans. Seriously. Ijalana is all promise and reputation. But, now he's got to deliver. Let's hope.

And, for the record, Costonzo played and started in 12 games before getting hurt. Lots of potential, perhaps. But that all has to be realized.

Both kids need to step up, big time.

Castanzo was initially hurt in the Tampa game which was early in the season (maybe game 4?). He did come back but the injury lingered all year.

Castanzo was initially hurt in the Tampa game which was early in the season (maybe game 4?). He did come back but the injury lingered all year.

This OL simply needs a full training camp together. Ijalana's knee was a mess, and I feel it was youth and bad technique. The lockout really hurt our development up front.

thanks.... appreciate the correction.... looks like I got it backwards! (not the first time!)

Oh well... moving on here............

My perspective is this OL will be much improved do to size and athletic ability,there are some not real experienced ,mixed with some with quite a bit.I agree there will be more attitude,wich there needs to be.I really think some of these FA we brought in will play with a chip on theyre shoulder.I say bring it on!The same goes for the DL,when it comes to stuffing the run,I like what we have and let them learn to mesh in camp i think we all will be pleased,take my word HIDE AND WATCH :foam:

Wasn't Ijalana hurt the same game when he moved to left tackle replacing Castonzo? These kids...and Reitz need the preseason work. Hopefully the injuries do not hold them all back. Reitz is a tremendous athlete!! He needs a chance to learn techniques.....not on the fly...in practice EVERY day!

yep you are absolutley correct. Ijalana filled in at LT and got hurt after about a quarter. Not a huge body of work for all the praise he has received on this board. I really hope he finds a position that works this year. Would really help shore up the line

yep you are absolutley correct. Ijalana filled in at LT and got hurt after about a quarter. Not a huge body of work for all the praise he has received on this board. I really hope he finds a position that works this year. Would really help shore up the line

The reason I posted about Ijalana, is that he seems to be rated unusually high on this board.

I hope he does well, and has a breakout season. I'm just not entirely convinced that he's the long-term solution for us as a starter.

Hope he proves me wrong.

I don't mean to speak for anyone else. I think he'll be a solid player, based off his college work, his pre-draft projections, and the small sample size of NFL time he's played. I'm not hanging all our hopes on him; word is he's not even ready to go yet. But I do think he can be a good NFL player.

It's interesting, people downplay the small amount of time he was actually on the field, when he looked good. But if he had looked bad in an equally small amount of time, we'd conclude that he's a bum and has no future in the league. Some fans think Anthony Castonzo is overrated because he got beat by Terrell Suggs, even though he was solid most of his outings, and Suggs is one of the best players in the league. I agree that sometimes, expectations have to be tempered a bit, but I don't think the optimism is completely misplaced with regard to Ijalana.