Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-Training Camp Roster Predictions

FightLikeSin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on?

There being a lot of offensive line depth and more of a practice squad player.

Sorry Gavin, but I have to agree with them.

McGlynn, Ijalana, Anderson, Olsen, and perhaps Reitz are all guards that would start over Hicks. Hicks could be a practice squad player who develops into an eventual starter, but I doubt he starts as a rookie.

There being a lot of offensive line depth and more of a practice squad player.

you do realize a large reason why we couldnt get much of a running game going last year was because our Guards couldn'tget any push to open up holes

you do realize a large reason why we couldnt get much of a running game going last year was because our Guards couldn'tget any push to open up holes

I know, but what makes Hicks stand out over players like Reitz, Olsen, Anderson, McGlynn, Ijalana, etc..?

I know, but what makes Hicks stand out over players like Reitz, Olsen, Anderson, McGlynn, Ijalana, etc..?

Ill show you, give me a minute, he brings something to the table Reitz and Olsen dont, I dont know about Anderson or Ijalana but give me a minute

so you call me silly and dont give me any reason you think he will be cut and then say you wont continue to conversation or the supposed debate? Thats whats silly dont you think, Im not thinking he will start realistically, but I have no doubts he will make the team to be honest

I did give you a reason.....you just don't want to hear it. He was determined by professional scouts and talent evaluators to be lacking one or more of these traits: strength, speed, agility, footwork, balance, athleticism, football iq, or overall football skill. That is why he wasn't drafted by ANY of the 32 teams in ANY of the 7 rounds of the draft. At Hicks' position, we have 4 guys on the roster who have played offensive line in the NFL, and another guy who WAS determined by professional football people to have the necessary tools to be drafted. And all five of THOSE guys won't even make the roster. It's really as simple as that.

So, maybe Hicks is that 1/1000 guy who beats the odds and has a long NFL career a la Jeff Saturday, but odds are overwhelming that he *isn't* that guy. Nobody is saying he doesn't have strong parts to his game, nobody is saying he might not make the practice squad, nobody is saying he has no chance of eventually making the roster down the road. But, what I stated above is why, when projecting the likely 53 man roster for opening day next year, it is extremely likely that Hayworth Hicks will not be on it.

One thing I've learned in my travels, is to never get too excited about a lineman because he's big. I learned that with Jacques McClendon a couple years ago. Hayworth Hicks might be a big man with a cool name, but that doesn't mean he's going to ever amount to anything in this league. He could go to practice squad for a year, and then maybe he'll be ready, but you can't pencil in an undrafted rookie to beat out a guy that started last year.

QB - Luck, Stanton, Harnish

RB - Brown, Carter, Ballard, Evans

WR - Wayne, Collie, Avery, Hilton, Brazill

TE - Fleener, Allen, Dominique Jones, Kyle Miller

OT - Castonzo, Justice, Linkenbach, Ijalana

OG - Reitz, McGlynn, Olsen, Anderson

C - Satele

DE - Redding, Nevis, Moala, Mathews, Ogbu

NT - Johnson, Chapman, McKinney

OLB - Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Hickman

MLB - Angerer, Conner, Edds, Galippo

CB - Powers, Thomas, Rucker, Vaughn, Chism

FS - Bethea, Lefeged

SS - Zbikowski, Caldwell

K - Vinny

P - Mac

LS - Snow

I'm going to go ahead and go on record as saying that I think CB Buddy Jackson is going to make the roster... if I'm wrong, I see him being called up from the PS during the season. The guy probably can't cover a lick, but he is extremely athletically gifted and would make an excellent ST gunner. Not sure where, but there was just a recent article that embedded some of his pro day video and it was downright amazing... 11' 9'' broad jump (which is a full 9'' longer than anyone at the combine) and runs the 40 in the 4.2-4.3s... i think, at least for the preseason, you have to get a guy like that on the field and see what he can do at full speed.

Edit: not sure what his injury was and if he has recovered, so I guess it partially depends on that

That is just not true lol. The notion that just because you go get a player early in free agency means he's going to start, is just ridiculous. You don't draft guys in the second round for them to be backups. Especially young guys like Ijalana. McGlynn played 7 games last year, started in 4 of them.

We signed McGlynn for the same reason we drafted/signed 3 Rookie Guards of the 2012 class. They are cheap and provide competition and depth.

not true. grigson targeted him for the spot. he is very familiar with him from his days at philly and scouted him for the 2008 draft. it's not hard to connect the dots. grigson had NOTHING to do with drafting ijalana. it's a new regime.

not true. grigson targeted him for the spot. he is very familiar with him from his days at philly and scouted him for the 2008 draft. it's not hard to connect the dots. grigson had NOTHING to do with drafting ijalana. it's a new regime.

That has nothing to do with one of the basic principles of building a football team. Competing for the position in the offseason is crucial. Signing a backup Guard just because you know them doesn't guarantee a starting spot. McGlynn will compete with the other Guards. To think that McGlynn, a backup can just sit around and relax because he's a shoe-in for the job because his buddy Grigson picked him up on a cheap 2 year contract is laughable.

Unless you know Grigson personally and can verify your sentiments with a quote of some sort...it is still up in the air.

That has nothing to do with one of the basic principles of building a football team. Competing for the position in the offseason is crucial. Signing a backup Guard just because you know them doesn't guarantee a starting spot. McGlynn will compete with the other Guards. To think that McGlynn, a backup can just sit around and relax because he's a shoe-in for the job because his buddy Grigson picked him up on a cheap 2 year contract is laughable.

Unless you know Grigson personally and can verify your sentiments with a quote of some sort...it is still up in the air.

we'll see on sept. 9th who is correct. for the record mcglynn started 15 games in 2010. of course he'll compete but he was brought in to start. its his job to lose.

On the McGlynn topic, Reports out of camp have said that he has emerged as the O-line leader. Grigs has also said he loves the way he plays. To me, that sounds as if he has a real good shot at a starting spot. Not guaranteed, but more than likely, he'll be starting.

I have seen people only keeping 4 or 5 CB's. Are you people crazy? There will be at the very least 6 CB's kept and possibly even more. On another note. My surprise guy is Anunoby at NT over A.J. IMO A.J. sucked as a 4-3 DT and I don't think he can play the NT position. He's not very strong and he can't command double teams.

we'll see on sept. 9th who is correct.

*facepalm*. What grade are you in? Nobody is going to "win" this. You are claiming absolute certainty in a game where players have to compete for their spot on the depth chart. If McGlynn starts, it will only mean that he was good enough in training camp to get the job, not that it was a preconceived arrangement from Grigson. That mindset is absolutely ridiculous and a horrible way to manage a team.

for the record mcglynn started 15 games in 2010.

For the record, Jimmy Clausen started 10 games in 2010. Do you think that is a relevant fact to bring up 2 years later after he rode the bench in 2011? McGlynn didn't start 15 games last year. He started in 4. I'm not trying to say he is not going to start, but it's far from a clear choice. I'm just wondering what drives you to think that the coaches would guarantee a starting position for a backup G. We have 3 rookie guards that have just as good of a shot, along with a second round pick from last year.

*facepalm*. What grade are you in? Nobody is going to "win" this. You are claiming absolute certainty in a game where players have to compete for their spot on the depth chart. If McGlynn starts, it will only mean that he was good enough in training camp to get the job, not that it was a preconceived arrangement from Grigson. That mindset is absolutely ridiculous and a horrible way to manage a team.

For the record, Jimmy Clausen started 13 games in 2010. Do you think that is a relevant fact to bring up 2 years later after he rode the bench in 2011? McGlynn didn't start 15 games last year. He started in 4. I'm not trying to say he is not going to start, but it's far from a clear choice. I'm just wondering what drives you to think that the coaches would guarantee a starting position for a backup G. We have 3 rookie guards that have just as good of a shot, along with a second round pick from last year.

yep started in 4 and played in 7. he started 14 the year before and played in 16

Jason Peters went undrafted as well and he is a Left Tackle thats blind side protection right their by an undrafted player, Wes Welker, John Randle, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Heck Jeff Saturday, very good players can be picked up and have started via the undrafted route, Scouts arent always right

All those players went undrafted that is true. And some undrafted players turn into very good NFL players. But answer this, which of those players that you just mentioned started as a rookie?

All those players went undrafted that is true. And some undrafted players turn into very good NFL players. But answer this, which of those players that you just mentioned started as a rookie?

Antonio Gates started 11 games and if we are being technical Jason Peters started 1 game but other then that none of them

Hmm. Now, I by no means think the guard play was great last year but it was good. It looked to me that a reason the Colts struggled at times running the ball is because the other team had no respect what-so-ever for the passing game and played the run in most situations and no matter how good the guards or anyone on the line is 5 guys cannot block 8 defenders.

I know you are in love with Hicks and that's cool, hopefully he turns out to be one of the rare players that turn UDFA into a long NFL career. But you are making all your comments based on a youtube highlight video that shows about 1/50th of his plays and none of his practices. It is, by definition, his best plays only.

Hmm. Now, I by no means think the guard play was great last year but it was good. It looked to me that a reason the Colts struggled at times running the ball is because the other team had no respect what-so-ever for the passing game and played the run in most situations and no matter how good the guards or anyone on the line is 5 guys cannot block 8 defenders.

I know you are in love with Hicks and that's cool, hopefully he turns out to be one of the rare players that turn UDFA into a long NFL career. But you are making all your comments based on a youtube highlight video that shows about 1/50th of his plays and none of his practices. It is, by definition, his best plays only.

Alright forget about the whole Hicks should start deal, I have no problem with him sitting on the bench for a year but, I have been watching the Colts games over again, and I have yet to see where they loaded 8 men in the box against us but I will actually count the number of time that was done to us if you like, teams I wouldnt say had no respect for our passing game even if it was awful,

Alright forget about the whole Hicks should start deal, I have no problem with him sitting on the bench for a year but, I have been watching the Colts games over again, and I have yet to see where they loaded 8 men in the box against us but I will actually count the number of time that was done to us if you like, teams I wouldnt say had no respect for our passing game even if it was awful,

Go ahead and count. Plus I never said 8 in the box, I said playing the run and blocking 8 defenders. The box is the area from tackle to tackle and with 4-5 yards of the LOS. You do not have to have 8 guys in that area to have 8 guys playing the run, but count whatever you like and post the results.

Go ahead and count. Plus I never said 8 in the box, I said playing the run and blocking 8 defenders. The box is the area from tackle to tackle and with 4-5 yards of the LOS. You do not have to have 8 guys in that area to have 8 guys playing the run, but count whatever you like and post the results.

I know you dont have to have 8 in the box to play the run, but you did say 8 men. so one would assume you meant in the box. Now, I by no means think the guard play was great last year but it was good. It looked to me that a reason the Colts struggled at times running the ball is because the other team had no respect what-so-ever for the passing game and played the run in most situations and no matter how good the guards or anyone on the line is 5 guys cannot block 8 defenders.

we didnt run the ball because the ol sucked (but was improved much from 2 years ago) and because our passing game sucked with 3 diff qbs not named PM. its a combination.

and i dont agree Mcglynn is the starter, i think all Joe reitz, mcglynn, ijalana(also will compete for T i think?), tepper, olsen, hicks, whateverother guy im missing, will compete for the job, it wont be about who was drafted by Girgson or if Ijalana was 2nd round. its about who give us the better OL and if that means having ijalana playing G justice T and mcglynn G or ijalana benched and reitz/mcglyn so be it.

truth is camp hastn even started and we are arguing with 0 info lol

News from the rookie mini-camp had some coaches/media praising Whalen, but who hasn't been given some praise? Whalen was sub-par at Stanford even with Luck throwing him the ball. And he wasn't even the "Good" Whalen who Luck threw too, that was Ryan Whalen.

Whalen was sub-par? According to who? The kid was a walk-on who turned into the teams leading receiver his senior year. That's sup-par? Look, I'm on record as saying he won't make the team. I think he's a nice college receiver, but not an NFL receiver. Could be wrong. But I think we have plenty of other candidates that have more NFL-level talent. I just don't think Griff was sub-par in college.

Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning?

Whalen was sub-par? According to who? The kid was a walk-on who turned into the teams leading receiver his senior year. That's sup-par? Look, I'm on record as saying he won't make the team. I think he's a nice college receiver, but not an NFL receiver. Could be wrong. But I think we have plenty of other candidates that have more NFL-level talent. I just don't think Griff was sub-par in college.

Perhaps I misunderstand your meaning?

had a good senior year but I agree not nfl caliber

For the record, Jimmy Clausen started 10 games in 2010. Do you think that is a relevant fact to bring up 2 years later after he rode the bench in 2011? McGlynn didn't start 15 games last year. He started in 4. I'm not trying to say he is not going to start, but it's far from a clear choice. I'm just wondering what drives you to think that the coaches would guarantee a starting position for a backup G. We have 3 rookie guards that have just as good of a shot, along with a second round pick from last year.