Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning In 2012

dw49

I thought this was very evident in 2010. Unless the arm strength was effected by the injury that year and he regains the strength , he will never be the same QB. Way too many throws in 2010 that showed a real lack of arm strength to deliver down field.

Manning shows diminishing deep-ball velocity

1493.jpg

According to USA Today's Nate Davis, "it was clear" during Tuesday's minicamp practice that Peyton Manning's velocity on deep passes isn't the same.

Davis suggested Manning "may not have the liveliest arm on his team," on a roster that also includes Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler, and Adam Weber. Davis allows that Manning did "look sharp and accurate" on intermediate throws, and Peyton openly admits he's still in the rehab phase after four neck surgeries since the 2010 offseason. We'll be sure to watch Manning carefully this preseason.

Source: USA Today

Jun 13 - 12:07 PM

Yes, because qb's throw so many long balls in a game.. note the sarcasm. A few deep balls a game, the rest a medium to short. He will be fine. You can have all the velocity you want, but if you dont put the ball where only your receiver can catch it.. all that speed means nothing.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, June 13, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Coltssouth, June 13, 2012 - personal argument

well duh the neck was bothering him in 2010...hence the surgery

duh... didn't I stipulate that in my thread ? Duh... learn to read dude

"Unless the arm strength was effected by the injury that year and he regains the strength"

Yes, because qb's throw so many long balls in a game.. note the sarcasm. A few deep balls a game, the rest a medium to short. He will be fine. You can have all the velocity you want, but if you dont put the ball where only your receiver can catch it.. all that speed means nothing.

Uhhh , if a QB does not have the arm strength to make all the throws , he's not going to be as effective . Before 2010 Manning did not ever have a cannon but befofre 2010 he coud still pretty much make all the necessary throws. Maybe your not knowledgeable to realize that what this means is . if true, he probably can't make the tough sideline throws of like 20-25 years . If you still don't get it ... it's not just dropping back and heaving the ball 60 yards. It's having the arm strength to make the tough throws. K...?

duh... didn't I stipulate that in my thread ? Duh... learn to read dude

"Unless the arm strength was effected by the injury that year and he regains the strength"

the stipulation wasnt needed because it has become obvious his arm strength was effected by his neck problem..that's what the "duh" was about....dude

the stipulation wasnt needed because it has become obvious his arm strength was effected by his neck problem..that's what the "duh" was about....dude

conspiracy-keanu-template.jpg

Duh... we don't know anything more than the last time he showed good arm strength was in the 2009 season. We don't know if the injury caused all of this , when it effected him and how much arm strength he will regain. Unless of coarse you have some medical report that he just wasn't starting to lose arm strength in 2010. My point is that there is a good chance he will never have the arm strength again to be a super elite QB as he was pre 2010. What my post infers is that it was either the injury or just wear and tear of 11 years . I didn't say which it was . I said either or..... If he regains all of the arm strength , then my post is ill written. Is that now simple enough for you to understand ? If not let me know and I will spend a little more time teaching you how to read what someone is stating. K ?

Duh... we don't know anything more than the last time he showed good arm strength was in the 2009 season. We don't know if the injury caused all of this , when it effected him and how much arm strength he will regain. Unless of coarse you have some medical report that he just wasn't starting to lose arm strength in 2010. My point is that there is a good chance he will never have the arm strength again to be a super elite QB as he was pre 2010. What my post infers is that it was either the injury or just wear and tear of 11 years . I didn't say which it was . I said either or..... If he regains all of the arm strength , then my post is ill written. Is that now simple enough for you to understand ? If not let me know and I will spend a little more time teaching you how to read what someone is stating. K ?

you get your panties in wad easily don't you? yes, it obvious what you were infering....and to me it's obvious which effected his arm strength more. how do i know? 2+2=4. now it's your turn to blather on about the obvious and hurl more lame insults...

Peyton's never had a cannon for an arm....I don't see what the problem is. It's like saying "Tom Brady had trouble scrambling after his knee injury". Tom Brady isn't known for his scrambling ability and Peyton isn't known for having a cannon on his shoulder.

Exactly 21isSuperman, Peyton's true genius is secondary manipulation of safeties, corners, & DB's. Velocity of the ball downfield is not essential, but precision timing with WR & TE route running sure is.

There are a ton of QB's who have cannons that seldom win SuperBowls or remain on active rosters after 4 years...Jamarcus Russel, Donte Peppers, Ryan Leaf just to name a few.

Peyton's never had a cannon for an arm....I don't see what the problem is. It's like saying "Tom Brady had trouble scrambling after his knee injury". Tom Brady isn't known for his scrambling ability and Peyton isn't known for having a cannon on his shoulder.

The problem would be if Peyton Manning doesn't have the arm strength anymorfe to make all the throws that are necessary to be an elite QB. We now he never had a "canon for an arm." I've watched football since 1960 or 54 years. I've always had direct TV and maybe missed 2 of his games in his carrer. Other than 2010 , he had enough arm strength to make all the throws. He now is 36 years old coming off some surgeries. So here are my points.

1) QB's do not play forever. Most QB's are not at the top of their game at 36. Other than Favre and Elway , who both had the " canons " that you speak of , it's hard to find QB's that didn't lose a great deal of their effectiveness at this age. I would think that much off this "fall off" might and could be attributed to loss of arm strength. An example might be a major league pitcher. Don't most lose a lot off their fastball when they hit this age ? I know I'm stating very obviuos stuff here but I guess I'll do it to defend the statement I made that due to his Possible loss of arm strength , he might not be able to be lights out QB of a few years ago. Unlike baseball , where that pitcher might be able to get by with changing speeds or a newly found splitter , a great QB has to be able to make the tough throws. Not talking about 60 yard bombs , I'm talking about the tough sideline throws or the throw that needs some zing to get through a small window. He always had the arm stregth to make those throws.

2) If the above is not true , it could be that he will never regain all the arm strength he had before the injury.

The fact that you say " Peyton's never had a cannon for an arm....I don't see what the problem is " really makes me wonder if you are thinking clearly on this... cause you are a bright guy. If he had great arm strength and lost a bit , it would be no big deal. But when you have average arm strength to begin with , you might be in trouble. Yes... I understand that a "big arm" is not what made Manning great , but IMO you need enough arm strength to make all the throws and make the fits into tight windows.

The problem would be if Peyton Manning doesn't have the arm strength anymorfe to make all the throws that are necessary to be an elite QB. We now he never had a "canon for an arm." I've watched football since 1960 or 54 years. I've always had direct TV and maybe missed 2 of his games in his carrer. Other than 2010 , he had enough arm strength to make all the throws. He now is 36 years old coming off some surgeries. So here are my points.

1) QB's do not play forever. Most QB's are not at the top of their game at 36. Other than Favre and Elway , who both had the " canons " that you speak of , it's hard to find QB's that didn't lose a great deal of their effectiveness at this age. I would think that much off this "fall off" might and could be attributed to loss of arm strength. An example might be a major league pitcher. Don't most lose a lot off their fastball when they hit this age ? I know I'm stating very obviuos stuff here but I guess I'll do it to defend the statement I made that due to his Possible loss of arm strength , he might not be able to be lights out QB of a few years ago. Unlike baseball , where that pitcher might be able to get by with changing speeds or a newly found splitter , a great QB has to be able to make the tough throws. Not talking about 60 yard bombs , I'm talking about the tough sideline throws or the throw that needs some zing to get through a small window. He always had the arm stregth to make those throws.

2) If the above is not true , it could be that he will never regain all the arm strength he had before the injury.

The fact that you say " Peyton's never had a cannon for an arm....I don't see what the problem is " really makes me wonder if you are thinking clearly on this... cause you are a bright guy. If he had great arm strength and lost a bit , it would be no big deal. But when you have average arm strength to begin with , you might be in trouble. Yes... I understand that a "big arm" is not what made Manning great , but IMO you need enough arm strength to make all the throws and make the fits into tight windows.

I see what you're saying. While Peyton may not be able to have the same velocity on his deep passes, he should have the same velocity with his intermediate and shorter routes. Many reports during the offseason were that he had good velocity on his throws. Take that 60 yard go route with lower velocity and turn it into a 15 yard out route and I think the velocity will be there.

And judging from the Duke video (which isn't very good evidence haha), Peyton seems to have some good velocity in his arm.

And going back to your original post, keep in mind that in 2010, Peyton was having problems with the neck and the vertebrae were pinching the nerve.

dw49,

Clearly, you have watched countless hours of TV broadcast tape on Peyton. Age may be a minor factor in QB performance & everybody's body handles stress, surgery, & hits differently. The 1 QB age diagnosis does not fit or apply to all field generals. It is a question of luck, rehab regimen, muscle mass, pain tolerance, & recovery time. I would necessarily classify it as age; rather the speed at which nerves regenerate in his throwing arm. Not to mention acute finger sensations as he grips the ball from the center crucial in wind, rain, & snow.

What exactly makes you question his ability zip the ball in tight windows along the sidelines? You argument would carry more weight if you coupled that with a year off from being hit at live game speed. Again, in my mind, nerves in his neck are not the issue, but the nerves in his arm & their rate & percentage of strength therein sure are IMO.

Peyton was never sidelined from injury for an entire season until last season & people act like Peyton needs to be set out to pasture & put down...Foolish in my estimation.

dw49,

Clearly, you have watched countless hours of TV broadcast tape on Peyton. Age may be a minor factor in QB performance & everybody's body handles stress, surgery, & hits differently. The 1 QB age diagnosis does not fit or apply to all field generals. It is a question of luck, rehab regimen, muscle mass, pain tolerance, & recovery time. I would necessarily classify it as age; rather the speed at which nerves regenerate in his throwing arm. Not to mention acute finger sensations as he grips the ball from the center crucial in wind, rain, & snow.

What exactly makes you question his ability zip the ball in tight windows along the sidelines? You argument would carry more weight if you coupled that with a year off from being hit at live game speed. Again, in my mind, nerves in his neck are not the issue, but the nerves in his arm & their rate & percentage of strength therein sure are IMO.

Peyton was never sidelined from injury for an entire season until last season & people act like Peyton needs to be set out to pasture & put down...Foolish in my estimation.

I was posting an opinion that an onlooker had. If he's correct that Manning has lost arm strength and we don't know if it's true. If true , I'm of the opinion that he will not be an elite QB. As you say , each individual "ages" differently , but if history tells us that generaly a QB is heavey to the downward side of his career at age 36 , then it is no doubt a factor .. IMO opinion anyway. Whe you infer that I said "he should be put out to pasture" , I have no idea where you get that from. I said if he has lost considerable arm strength "he will not be the same QB." You can spin what I say, talk about all the muscel this and that , tingling in the arm , fanny or whatever. fact is Denver is paying him 18 million this year and if he ends up with a pop gun for an arm , they wil have made a huge mistake. Do I care about denver's money ? Nope and I'm glad PM found what appears to be a good fit. I also wish him the best as I don't really want his career to be over. As far as all this and being a Colt fan , I think Irsay did the right thing . Even if Manning comes back 100% , the Polians destroyed our roster and we couldn't reach another SB in 2-3 years anyway. JMO of coarse.

I see what you're saying. While Peyton may not be able to have the same velocity on his deep passes, he should have the same velocity with his intermediate and shorter routes. Many reports during the offseason were that he had good velocity on his throws. Take that 60 yard go route with lower velocity and turn it into a 15 yard out route and I think the velocity will be there.

And judging from the Duke video (which isn't very good evidence haha), Peyton seems to have some good velocity in his arm.

And going back to your original post, keep in mind that in 2010, Peyton was having problems with the neck and the vertebrae were pinching the nerve.

haha the Duke video is like the Zabruder film...prized footage of something everyone has been waiting to see lol.

Agree... Also if you think back to 2010 , there were reports that PM was playing "hurt." I agree with all you that think the nerve was an issue in 2010.Funny thing about these "reports" was that they were all different. Some say he's throwing the ball just fine... I really don't want him to end up with a noodle arm and stink the joint up so I can come back and say "I told you so." I really do hope you are correct and he can still make the throws necessary to be a great QB. I guess I shoud have just posted the link and not commented as I really don't have a clue as to how this will all play out. My ony point is that those who say " Peyton Manning at 70% is better than most other QB's. That's just silly talk if he ends up not having enough arm .

I was posting an opinion that an onlooker had. If he's correct that Manning has lost arm strength and we don't know if it's true. If true , I'm of the opinion that he will not be an elite QB. As you say , each individual "ages" differently , but if history tells us that generaly a QB is heavey to the downward side of his career at age 36 , then it is no doubt a factor .. IMO opinion anyway. Whe you infer that I said "he should be put out to pasture" , I have no idea where you get that from. I said if he has lost considerable arm strength "he will not be the same QB." You can spin what I say, talk about all the muscel this and that , tingling in the arm , fanny or whatever. fact is Denver is paying him 18 million this year and if he ends up with a pop gun for an arm , they wil have made a huge mistake. Do I care about denver's money ? Nope and I'm glad PM found what appears to be a good fit. I also wish him the best as I don't really want his career to be over. As far as all this and being a Colt fan , I think Irsay did the right thing . Even if Manning comes back 100% , the Polians destroyed our roster and we couldn't reach another SB in 2-3 years anyway. JMO of coarse.

First & foremost, I will readily admit that you did not call for Peyton to put out to pasture, but so many bloggers, not you per say, are looking for any excuse to point out weaknesses in his game & to imply that Peyton's years of greatness are over that it really disturbs me. The issue of Peyton's signing bonus is a relevant point & there is no way the Colts could revamp the defense without releasing him for the health of the franchise overall. I agree 100%.

Feel free to mock my nerve regeneration explanation to your heart's content, but I do have relatives in my family that specialize in neurology AKA doctors who deal with nerves & the aftermath of surgery & therapy on a routine basis.

Yes absolutely, Bill Polian destroyed our team salary cap for decades. No argument there.

Agree... Also if you think back to 2010 , there were reports that PM was playing "hurt." I agree with all you that think the nerve was an issue in 2010.Funny thing about these "reports" was that they were all different. Some say he's throwing the ball just fine... I really don't want him to end up with a noodle arm and stink the joint up so I can come back and say "I told you so." I really do hope you are correct and he can still make the throws necessary to be a great QB. I guess I shoud have just posted the link and not commented as I really don't have a clue as to how this will all play out. My ony point is that those who say " Peyton Manning at 70% is better than most other QB's. That's just silly talk if he ends up not having enough arm .

2010 was a profoundly strange year for a lot of reasons - such as injuries to the vast majority of skill position players, an offensive line that had him dumping the ball and running for his life, and no running game. Peyton's average yards per attempt was not surprisingly poor compared to previous years - yet he still found a way to drag the team into the playoffs.

My personal opinion is that regardless of whether or not he is in general likely to show age or injury related degradation of ability, he will be in better shape in 2012 than he was in 2010. And he will also have a corp of hopefully healthy skill position players with greater upside than he had in 2010, a profoundly better running game, and hopefully better pass blocking as well. Considering that I would 100 times rather have the Peyton of 2010 on my team than - for example - the healthy young Peyton of prior to 2003, I'm optimistic about 2012. Of course, whether or not he can "pull it off" for another five years is harder to guess.

Ok DhemWhit49.. whatever you say. And i quote:

" Uhhh , if a QB does not have the arm strength to make all the throws , he's not going to be as effective . Before 2010 Manning did not ever have a cannon but befofre 2010 he coud still pretty much make all the necessary throws. Maybe your not knowledgeable to realize that what this means is . if true, he probably can't make the tough sideline throws of like 20-25 years . If you still don't get it ... it's not just dropping back and heaving the ball 60 yards. It's having the arm strength to make the tough throws. K...?"

Your smart mouth comment is not wanted here or needed. Come back when you have something nice to say. If you dont have a nice way to say things, be quiet and stay away. Your new here, so get a clue. It is not tolerated or wanted on the colts forum. Bye, bye.

Not at all, dude. You're more than welcome to comment and put in your opinion. There have been many times where I have voiced my opinion and been flat out wrong. I just took it as a learning experience and gained a new perspective. Never be afraid to voice your opinion....just make sure you can back it up.

I agree with you on all points. I don't think Peyton will come back early just to say "I told you so". He will make sure he is 100% ready to go. And yeah, Peyton at 70% is still better than most QBs in the NFL at 100%.

I thought this was very evident in 2010. Unless the arm strength was effected by the injury that year and he regains the strength , he will never be the same QB. Way too many throws in 2010 that showed a real lack of arm strength to deliver down field.

Manning shows diminishing deep-ball velocity

1493.jpg

According to USA Today's Nate Davis, "it was clear" during Tuesday's minicamp practice that Peyton Manning's velocity on deep passes isn't the same.

Davis suggested Manning "may not have the liveliest arm on his team," on a roster that also includes Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler, and Adam Weber. Davis allows that Manning did "look sharp and accurate" on intermediate throws, and Peyton openly admits he's still in the rehab phase after four neck surgeries since the 2010 offseason. We'll be sure to watch Manning carefully this preseason.

Source: USA Today

Jun 13 - 12:07 PM

Ok here's my post of the month, As most know I read these whenever can but hardly have time to comment anymore till other issues get resolved if ever

The below was sent top me today from my cousin In Denver & he was at minicamp

It was really only his 2nd OTA of trying deep passes a week or so back where he overthrew some players

Peyton Manning looking sharp in Denver Broncos' passing game

The Broncos' minicamp practice Wednesday at the team's Dove Valley headquarters was easily the best Manning has performed since he put on a Denver uniform.

During the no-huddle, 11-on-11 portion of practice Wednesday, Manning was never better — at least not since before he missed all of last season because of a neck injury.

He zinged medium-range, crossing-pattern passes

--- to tight end Jacob Tamme and wide receiver Matt Willis.

And he nailed deep go-route passes -

to each side of the field, one to Eric Decker, the other to Demaryius Thomas.

http://www.denverpos...os-passing-game

Peyton Manning at Broncos practice looking tip-top with passes

same under different name

http://www.denverpos...looking-tip-top

Love Peyton, But Go Colts Since 58

Barry

Ok DhemWhit49.. whatever you say. And i quote:

" Uhhh , if a QB does not have the arm strength to make all the throws , he's not going to be as effective . Before 2010 Manning did not ever have a cannon but befofre 2010 he coud still pretty much make all the necessary throws. Maybe your not knowledgeable to realize that what this means is . if true, he probably can't make the tough sideline throws of like 20-25 years . If you still don't get it ... it's not just dropping back and heaving the ball 60 yards. It's having the arm strength to make the tough throws. K...?"

Your smart mouth comment is not wanted here or needed. Come back when you have something nice to say. If you dont have a nice way to say things, be quiet and stay away. Your new here, so get a clue. It is not tolerated or wanted on the colts forum. Bye, bye.

Did you not start the not nice replies with your post # 3 ?

"Yes, because qb's throw so many long balls in a game.. note the sarcasm. A few deep balls a game, the rest a medium to short. He will be fine. You can have all the velocity you want, but if you dont put the ball where only your receiver can catch it.. all that speed means nothing. "

Pretty condecending post ... wouldn't you say ? So I would appreciate it if you answer someones post with a little more respect than you exhibited. Then they will treat you with the respect that you seem to demand.

Btw, dw49, the atricle wasnt about his mid range passes, it was about the deep ball. Never did the article say he didnt have the arm for those passes. As you say... "got it?" Psh.

First of all all I did was post what this observer wrote. He mentions Manning not showing the "liveliest arm" in camp. I would take that to mean that he is showing a lack of arm strength. I also wrote that IMO , I saw the start of this in 2010. I also said that it could have been due to the nerve issues or it could have been the beginning of him just losing arm strength. This can happen when QBs are around his age. I don't really know why his arm was what it was in 2010. I don't know how it freally is now. Nor do I know how much better it will get as ge continues to work out. Could be that it gets worse as he goes along. He has a lot of mileage and everything does wear out in time. Or it could be that he gets back to nearly what he was pre 2010. I never professed to know any of this stuff. I'm not a doctor , an NFL coach or scout.

I just extressed my opinion that in 2010 he could not make all the throws. Still a very good QB but there were no doubt throws that were not Peyton Manning like. So I took it a step further and expressed my opinion that is this observer is right and about the lack of arm strength (that I take him to infer) and he comes back with less than he had in 2010 , IMO he will not be an elite QB. Now if I came accross differntly than that , my bad.

Also I didn't start the sarcastic "uhhh" stuff with the other poster , and you IMO started this with me. Then to come out and threaten me and tell me to leave is really laughable.

Ok here's my post of the month, As most know I read these whenever can but hardly have time to comment anymore till other issues get resolved if ever

The below was sent top me today from my cousin In Denver & he was at minicamp

It was really only his 2nd OTA of trying deep passes a week or so back where he overthrew some players

Peyton Manning looking sharp in Denver Broncos' passing game

The Broncos' minicamp practice Wednesday at the team's Dove Valley headquarters was easily the best Manning has performed since he put on a Denver uniform.

During the no-huddle, 11-on-11 portion of practice Wednesday, Manning was never better — at least not since before he missed all of last season because of a neck injury.

He zinged medium-range, crossing-pattern passes

--- to tight end Jacob Tamme and wide receiver Matt Willis.

And he nailed deep go-route passes -

to each side of the field, one to Eric Decker, the other to Demaryius Thomas.

http://www.denverpos...os-passing-game

Peyton Manning at Broncos practice looking tip-top with passes

same under different name

http://www.denverpos...looking-tip-top

Love Peyton, But Go Colts Since 58

Barry

I hope this is the better account of how Manning is coming back from the injury. One would have to be a heartless Colt fan to wish him anything but the best.

Not at all, dude. You're more than welcome to comment and put in your opinion. There have been many times where I have voiced my opinion and been flat out wrong. I just took it as a learning experience and gained a new perspective. Never be afraid to voice your opinion....just make sure you can back it up.

I agree with you on all points. I don't think Peyton will come back early just to say "I told you so". He will make sure he is 100% ready to go. And yeah, Peyton at 70% is still better than most QBs in the NFL at 100%.

Thanks. Bottom line IMO is if PM has anything more than a "pop gun" for an arm , he will still be a top 5 QB. He ceratinly doesn't need to throw 60 yard bullitts to be successful. That was never meant to be my point.

In related news...

It's June. I'm not sure anyone, including Manning, expected him to be at 100% at this point. The arm strength, from what I've heard and read, is directly tied to nerve regeneration. You can't use your muscles unless your nerves are firing off electrical impulses properly.

Maybe he will need to change his mechanics a bit. Who knows. If you took a kid new to football you would not teach him to throw using Manning's pre-surgery mechanics. He has/had a bit of an unorthodox (but obviously very effective) delivery. And super quick... fastest delivery I've seen except Marino.

I realize every throw the guy makes will be scrutinized, but to me this is a lot of ado about nothing at this point. If these reports are still prevalent in late August or early September, then maybe it's a story. Right now, not so much.

Thanks. Bottom line IMO is if PM has anything more than a "pop gun" for an arm , he will still be a top 5 QB. He ceratinly doesn't need to throw 60 yard bullitts to be successful. That was never meant to be my point.

Also this. Nicely stated.

And I wouldn't worry about certain other posters here who have a well-known and easily documented track record of antagonistic behavior and general nastiness. Some people are just like that if you disagree with them. I think you've contributed some very intelligent and thoughtful info here, myself.

Also this. Nicely stated.

And I wouldn't worry about certain other posters here who have a well-known and easily documented track record of antagonistic behavior and general nastiness. Some people are just like that if you disagree with them. I think you've contributed some very intelligent and thoughtful info here, myself.

My thread was probably not the best and most thought out post . If I had a do over , I would have just posted the article and left it at that. It's a no brainer that if PM doesn't have enough arm strength to make the sideline throws and fit the ball into windows , he will not be an effective QB. Going off on all those different tangents when the only real answer is to wait and see like you infer was pointless. Also I do have the habit of responding bad when someone makes a sarcastic post insinuating that I'm some kind of *. I guess I just need to take a step back and consider the source

http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/06/13/notes-from-an-ota-june-13/

• It wasn’t that quarterback Peyton Manning completed all his deep passes. He didn’t, and he won’t; there’s too much that can go wrong for any quarterback to do that. But for the second time in 10 days, the Broncos worked in a plethora of downfield passes, and once again Manning’s delivery and distance were sharp. Perhaps the best-looking pass ended incomplete after Eric Decker failed to grab it after he lunged on a deep post, but Manning put the football out of reach of Champ Bailey, who was in tight coverage on Decker. Only Decker could possibly get to it, and he didn’t have to slow down to get to the football.
  • One play after Decker couldn’t bring in a pass, the drops victimized linebacker Von Miller, who was in downfield coverage on running back Willis McGahee. Miller had an interception in his hands, but could not hang on.
  • Later, Manning connected on a perfect deep pass up the left sideline to Demaryius Thomas, beating safety Rahim Moore, who was a step late in coverage. This was the second time in as many days that Manning found Thomas down the sideline.

He sounds fine enough to me or will be soon. At least that's my hope.

It was my understandng that Manning's number of deep passes dropped off because everyone started playing us in

some variation of a 4-2-5 set New Orleans showed up in the Super Bowl.....

Teams only put 6 men in the box.. and they took away deep stuff

..also....we werent bleseed with blinding speed.

What I'm seeing in highlights may not be the same guy who played in 2004 or 2005 (yet) but its the same guy who played in 2010

I'm not sure why people think that the deep ball was ever a huge part of his game.

The splits aren't available pre 2001

Passes thrown over 41 yards in length(not plays that ended up being over 41 yards)
2002 6
2003 5
2004 1
2005 8
2006 9
2007 2
2008 2
2009 3
2010 1

144 games and 37 throws over 41 yards.

Not that those are attempts, and not competitions. I highly doubt the data from 1998-2001 would be much different.

From 2002-2010

0.74% of his passes thrown were over 41 yards.

4.96% of his passes were thrown over 31 yards.

Btw, dw49, the atricle wasnt about his mid range passes, it was about the deep ball. Never did the article say he didnt have the arm for those passes. As you say... "got it?" Psh.

Dude Dhem was stating the truth, do you not realize Manning is practicing without pads or getting hit right now? if anyone was coming out with with "smart mouthed comments" (your words not mine, I try not to resort to calling people names over a computer, its childish), if he cant put the zip on the ball like he used to in tight spots then he will have problems its a fact, do I know that he will? no of course not, does throwing the ball on a "pitch count" x number of yards with no one in his face show that he can do that? no of course not, furthermore, I'd love to see Peyton successful in Denver and he probably can make all the throws but we dont know that, just because he isn't kissing Mannings boots and instead giving what many would consider an he is giving informative opinion dont mean you have to be hateful, werent you the one I told to go take their ritalin and calm down? maybe not I forget but regardless, chill

In related news...

It's June. I'm not sure anyone, including Manning, expected him to be at 100% at this point.

The arm strength, from what I've heard and read, is directly tied to nerve regeneration. You can't use your muscles unless your nerves are firing off electrical impulses properly.

Agree on both points, also if no nerve regeneration ( a misnomer , nerves dont really regenerate just an easy explanation ) but if improper signals sent to the muscle, that is poor innervation to the muscles u cant even build back muscles to proper strength & tone and I have read Peterson Triceps dont look as toned as in the past, dont know if true nor when was observed. My right arm doesnt receive nerve signals proplerly and the nerve signal feed the muscle, lacking them my muscles in my right arm are far less muscular than my left though am a righty, not that left is great that is affected to a lesser extent

Tom Moore Visted the mini camp and said

The verdict?

"He looks great," Moore said. "He looks like what I saw every day. He looks great, just great. There's nobody like him."

When it comes to what the Broncos' offense will look like with Manning at quarterback, Moore said the possibilities are "really endless." He said Manning can seamlessly move within a playbook that included the power formations the Broncos used last season when they were the NFL's top rushing team and the spread formations Manning played with in Indianapolis.

"He can do so many things, knows the game from so many angles," Moore said. "He can do almost anything you can think of and more importantly will do the work to make it a success.

"From my standpoint, it's exciting to see him have all the success he has had because he deserves it. A lot of people want to talk about they want to be good, but do you want to do all of the things you have to do to be good? He does them all and then some."

It wont be till first preseason game that we will see what happens in somewhat of a real game situation