Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning In 2012

dw49

Dude Dhem was stating the truth, do you not realize Manning is practicing without pads or getting hit right now? if anyone was coming out with with "smart mouthed comments" (your words not mine, I try not to resort to calling people names over a computer, its childish), if he cant put the zip on the ball like he used to in tight spots then he will have problems its a fact, do I know that he will? no of course not, does throwing the ball on a "pitch count" x number of yards with no one in his face show that he can do that? no of course not, furthermore, I'd love to see Peyton successful in Denver and he probably can make all the throws but we dont know that, just because he isn't kissing Mannings boots and instead giving what many would consider an he is giving informative opinion dont mean you have to be hateful, werent you the one I told to go take their ritalin and calm down? maybe not I forget but regardless, chill

Thanks for the idea.

The news from last week, was that he was over throwing the deep ball.

The deep ball was never a huge part of his game to start with, and after the Redskins games, the # of deep attempts were drastically reduced.

The timing routes the Colts used seemed to get WRs open 7-20 yards downfield.

Dude Dhem was stating the truth, do you not realize Manning is practicing without pads or getting hit right now? if anyone was coming out with with "smart mouthed comments" (your words not mine, I try not to resort to calling people names over a computer, its childish), if he cant put the zip on the ball like he used to in tight spots then he will have problems its a fact, do I know that he will? no of course not, does throwing the ball on a "pitch count" x number of yards with no one in his face show that he can do that? no of course not, furthermore, I'd love to see Peyton successful in Denver and he probably can make all the throws but we dont know that, just because he isn't kissing Mannings boots and instead giving what many would consider an he is giving informative opinion dont mean you have to be hateful, werent you the one I told to go take their ritalin and calm down? maybe not I forget but regardless, chill

Dude , as Ive said many times in this thread. I did nothing other than post the observer's comments and comment that IMO there was a drop off in his arm strength from 2009 to 2010. That's the extent of it , please show me where I've stated or inferered differently. For the 100th time , I don't know if 2010 was due to age and wear and tear or the injury. I don't know where he is at this point in time and don't know how to equate pads and whatever else to the equation. I also said that there were other reports out there that were more favorable to where PM is at this point in time. Let me capsulize this AGAIn for you and some of the others. All I did was post a report I saw in roto news. I said if tru and there is a serious arm strength "fall off" , it would be hard for PM to vercome this as he exhibited many times in 2010 that he could not make the a lot of the throws. I think many are forgetting that we started 6-6 and Manning was really stuggling. We then won out against 4 crappy teams . Then we wnet 1 and out scoring one unimpressive TD at home vs the Jets. My point is that if he loses arm strength , it could be pretty telling as he doesn't (didn't ) have any "extra" the last time I saw him play. Man O' man . One more time ... I don't know if there is an issue at this point in time. Just posting what the man wrote. Oh.. and there's nothing for me to chill out about and I did not start the sarcasm in this post.

Statistically from 2002-2010, roughly 50% of the passes are from 1-10 yards. If you bump that to 1-20 yards the % grows to almost 75% so that is a fair assessment.

While I enjoy your avatar, you should take "stats" like the guy from Mike and Mike or Commander Data. Lol

I'm not sure why people think that the deep ball was ever a huge part of his game.

The splits aren't available pre 2001

Passes thrown over 41 yards in length(not plays that ended up being over 41 yards)
2002 6
2003 5
2004 1
2005 8
2006 9
2007 2
2008 2
2009 3
2010 1

144 games and 37 throws over 41 yards.

Not that those are attempts, and not competitions. I highly doubt the data from 1998-2001 would be much different.

From 2002-2010

0.74% of his passes thrown were over 41 yards.

4.96% of his passes were thrown over 31 yards.

No one says he ever made a living throwing passes over 41 yards. BTW , that's an interesting number . Is that soem kind of guideline that I never heard of. The point is does he have or will he get back the arm strength to be an elite QB that a team spends 15% of their cap space on. I would think the guy that made the observation is gauging his arm strength by how he is throwing the deep ball. He speaks of how lively his arm looks. If I came accross saying that PM will not be elite unless he can throw a 60 yard ball on a line with accuracy , let me immediately take it back. Once again , I'm saying a great QB needs a nice "live " arm to throw the outs and fit the ball into tight windows. Are there any stats to show how tight a window might be on a 3rd and 8 and the defense rushes 3 and the rest drop into coverage ?

werent you the one I told to go take their ritalin and calm down? maybe not I forget but regardless, chill

Did I miss something...??? Are you Gavin M.D. now....??? And qualified to prescribe medications..??? ;) :P

Dude , as Ive said many times in this thread. I did nothing other than post the observer's comments and comment that IMO there was a drop off in his arm strength from 2009 to 2010. That's the extent of it , please show me where I've stated or inferered differently. For the 100th time , I don't know if 2010 was due to age and wear and tear or the injury. I don't know where he is at this point in time and don't know how to equate pads and whatever else to the equation. I also said that there were other reports out there that were more favorable to where PM is at this point in time. Let me capsulize this AGAIn for you and some of the others. All I did was post a report I saw in roto news. I said if tru and there is a serious arm strength "fall off" , it would be hard for PM to vercome this as he exhibited many times in 2010 that he could not make the a lot of the throws. I think many are forgetting that we started 6-6 and Manning was really stuggling. We then won out against 4 crappy teams . Then we wnet 1 and out scoring one unimpressive TD at home vs the Jets. My point is that if he loses arm strength , it could be pretty telling as he doesn't (didn't ) have any "extra" the last time I saw him play. Man O' man . One more time ... I don't know if there is an issue at this point in time. Just posting what the man wrote. Oh.. and there's nothing for me to chill out about and I did not start the sarcasm in this post.

I wasn't posting to you I was posting to ManningstheMan and his constant smart mouth remarks

No one says he ever made a living throwing passes over 41 yards. BTW , that's an interesting number . Is that soem kind of guideline that I never heard of. The point is does he have or will he get back the arm strength to be an elite QB that a team spends 15% of their cap space on. I would think the guy that made the observation is gauging his arm strength by how he is throwing the deep ball. He speaks of how lively his arm looks. If I came accross saying that PM will not be elite unless he can throw a 60 yard ball on a line with accuracy , let me immediately take it back. Once again , I'm saying a great QB needs a nice "live " arm to throw the outs and fit the ball into tight windows. Are there any stats to show how tight a window might be on a 3rd and 8 and the defense rushes 3 and the rest drop into coverage ?

Well, multiple teams worked him out and were willing to pay him 15% of his cap space. This is one lone report, with reports that have preceded it along with subsequent reports that have spoke of over throwing the deep ball, and connecting on the deep balls. So the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Manning could be 150% better than his peak 3 year period, and he's going to personally say he has things to work on or that he isn't 100%. Just how his mindset is.

41 yards is a # that NFL.com and Elias, tracks in their situational statistics.

http://espn.go.com/n.../peyton-manning

BLOS
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41+

It's not some arbitrary # I'm cherry picking or throwing against the wall in hopes that it sticks. Not my style.

No, there are no stats that define how tight a window is needed, but you knew that before you made the snarky comment.

Though there are stats that show how a QB has produced against various situations.

SPLIT

TOTAL

HOME

AWAY

BY OUTCOME

IN WINS/TIES

IN LOSSES

BY VICTORY MARGIN

FINAL MARGIN 0-7

FINAL MARGIN 8-14

FINAL MARGIN 15+

BY CLOSE

4TH QTR, +/-7 PTS

LAST 2 MIN. HALF

BY SEASON GAMES

Season Games (1-8)

Season Games (9-16)

BY MONTH

SEPTEMBER

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER

DECEMBER

JANUARY

BY DAY OF WEEK

SUNDAY

MONDAY

OTHER

BY SURFACE

ON GRASS

ON TURF

BY LOCATION

OUTDOORS

INDOORS

BY WEATHER

Outdoor Temp

Outdoor Temp 81+ F

BY DEPTH CHART

AS STARTER

BY GROUP

vs AFC

vs NFC

vs. Own Division

BY OPPONENT

VS. CIN

VS. DAL

VS. DEN

VS. HOU

VS. JAC

VS. KC

VS. NE

VS. NYG

VS. OAK

VS. PHI

VS. SD

VS. TEN

VS. WAS

BY HALF

1ST HALF

2ND HALF

BY QUARTER

QUARTER = 1

QUARTER = 2

QUARTER = 3

QUARTER = 4

OVERTIME

BY PASS ATTEMPTS

Attempts 1-10 of game

Attempts 11-20 of game

Attempts 21-30 of game

Attempts 31-40 of game

BY RUSH ATTEMPTS

Runs of 10+ yards

BY DOWN

DOWN = 1 OVERALL

DOWN = 2 OVERALL

DOWN = 3 OVERALL

DOWN = 4 OVERALL

BY DOWN AND LENGTH

First down plays with 10 yards to go

3rd (or 4th) down and 9+ yards to go

3rd (or 4th) down and 3-8 yards to go

3rd (or 4th) down and 1-2 yards to go

BY DOWN AND DISTANCE

DOWN = 1 TO GO 1-2

DOWN = 1 TO GO 3-7

DOWN = 1 TO GO 8-10

DOWN = 1 TO GO 11+

DOWN = 1 TO GO <6

DOWN = 1 TO GO 6+

DOWN = 2 TO GO 1-2

DOWN = 2 TO GO 3-7

DOWN = 2 TO GO 8-10

DOWN = 2 TO GO 11+

DOWN = 2 TO GO <6

DOWN = 2 TO GO 6+

DOWN = 3 TO GO 1-2

DOWN = 3 TO GO 3-7

DOWN = 3 TO GO 8-10

DOWN = 3 TO GO 11+

DOWN = 3 TO GO <6

DOWN = 3 TO GO 6+

DOWN = 4 TO GO 1-2

DOWN = 4 TO GO 3-7

DOWN = 4 TO GO 8-10

DOWN = 4 TO GO 11+

DOWN = 4 TO GO <6

DOWN = 4 TO GO 6+

BY PT DIFF

WHEN WINNING

WHEN TRAILING

WHEN TIED

BY WINNING PT DIFF

Ahead by 9-16 Points

Ahead by 1-8 Points

BY LOSING PT DIFF

Behind by 1-8 Points

Behind by 9-16 Points

BY PLAY DIRECTION

RIGHT SIDE

LEFT SIDE

MIDDLE

LEFT SIDELINE

RIGHT SIDELINE

BY PASS PLAY

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds

Pass Thrown 41+ yds

BY FIELD POSITION

OWN 1-20

OWN 21-50

OPP 49-20

OPP 19-GOAL

OPP 10-GOAL

BY OFFENSIVE FORMATION

Shotgun

2 Backs Split

Lone Setback

BY WR FORMATION

2 Wide Receivers

3 Wide Receivers

4+ Wide Receivers

BY TE FORMATION

0 Tight Ends

1 Tight End

2 Tight Ends

3+ Tight Ends

BY OFFENSIVE MOTION

No Offensive Motion

Offensive Motion

BY DEFENSIVE MOTION

Blitz

< 3 on Def. Line

< 4 on Def. line

4 on Def. Line

5 on Def. Line

6 on Def. Line

Did I miss something...??? Are you Gavin M.D. now....??? And qualified to prescribe medications..??? ;) :P

No but I do know the leg bone is connected to the hip bone, small steps Gramz, Small steps, I dont need no stinking degree I will show them! :spit: you can learn alot off the net dont you know :lol:

Well, multiple teams worked him out and were willing to pay him 15% of his cap space. This is one lone report, with reports that have preceded it along with subsequent reports that have spoke of over throwing the deep ball, and connecting on the deep balls. So the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Manning could be 150% better than his peak 3 year period, and he's going to personally say he has things to work on or that he isn't 100%. Just how his mindset is.

41 yards is a # that NFL.com and Elias, tracks in their situational statistics.

http://espn.go.com/n.../peyton-manning

BLOS
1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41+

It's not some arbitrary # I'm cherry picking or throwing against the wall in hopes that it sticks. Not my style.

No, there are no stats that define how tight a window is needed, but you knew that before you made the snarky comment.

Though there are stats that show how a QB has produced against various situations.

Actually I didn't know about the 41 yard "guideline." Evidently a yardstick that I hadn't heard about.

I wasn't posting to you I was posting to ManningstheMan and his constant smart mouth remarks

Sorry thought that was for my benefit. My bad

It wont be till first preseason game that we will see what happens in somewhat of a real game situation

Absolutely... could not agree more. OTAs are fun for us fans and it gives us a little slice of football during the long offseason, but until the rounds are live, there's little to be gained from dissecting every throw he makes, or putting much stock in any stories about the throws he's making!

Hope all is well with you Barry! Good to see ya.

Uhhh , if a QB does not have the arm strength to make all the throws , he's not going to be as effective . Before 2010 Manning did not ever have a cannon but befofre 2010 he coud still pretty much make all the necessary throws. Maybe your not knowledgeable to realize that what this means is . if true, he probably can't make the tough sideline throws of like 20-25 years . If you still don't get it ... it's not just dropping back and heaving the ball 60 yards. It's having the arm strength to make the tough throws. K...?

I dont think he will be asked to throw time traveling passes..

In my time watching dont recall ever seeing a QB making a living on passes over 41 yards lol.In all honesty its a mute point,Joe Montana sure didnt,hmmm how many SB rings does he have?

Not since the "mad bomber." Were you around to see Daryle Lamonica ? Just finished refreshing my memory by looking up his stats. He came up in 1963 and played mostly with the Raiders. The guy (or Al Davis ?) just loved to just air it out long and hense the nickname. But no , some guys throw a great deep ball and it's a nice weapon but not a necessity. I wonder if Montana was a winner and Manning was not good in the post season ? Naaa.. don't think so. I kinda think if they switched spots... Montana would be lucky to have one ring . Those were some pretty amazing 49er teams he played with.

Thanks. Bottom line IMO is if PM has anything more than a "pop gun" for an arm , he will still be a top 5 QB. He ceratinly doesn't need to throw 60 yard bullitts to be successful. That was never meant to be my point.

I see. I might have misinterpreted your post then. My apologies.

I see. I might have misinterpreted your post then. My apologies.

No apologies needed. i wish you would just close this thread as it stinks like bad feet. Bottom line is if PM has no arm , he won't be very good. A lot of bickering and bantering over me copying some non expert's observations of a Bronco practice. Really just a lot of nothing. Time will tell.. I wish PM the best but I'm far more concerned with rebuilding this mess Bill and his boy Chris left.