Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I was mad for several reasons when I read this - Tim Jennings 17th best CB in NFL

chad72

After reading the article, I think it would be more appropriate to call Jennings the 17th most efficient cornerback in the NFL, or something like that. The point is that he fits the scheme that he's used in very well, but I'm pretty sure everyone who follows football knows that Tim Jennings isn't good enough to start as the #1 corner for half the teams in the league, and that's what a rank of 17th would mean.

That said, it's true that Jennings was never as bad as Colts fans made him out to be. I think the same about Jacob Lacey. Neither are anything special, but if they're used in a sensible scheme, they can fit pretty well.

http://www.cbssports...ace-the-cover-2 I particularly found this line amusing and hilarious Murphy, though, appears to be inching Indianapolis back to more Cover 2 as the team's base defensive alignment.

Colts vice president Bill Polian said as much during his weekly radio show.

"The philosophy of our defense (had) changed completely, and we're going back to what we used to be, which is that we believe that three 5-yard passes are better than one 20-yard pass"So we're going to give up some passes and make the tackle afterward and hope that by the time (opposing offenses are) down in the red zone that they make a mistake or they cough the ball up or later in the game the little receivers are tired of getting hit or you get bounce-offs or interceptions or things like that."," Polian said. Basically if that article is true and all that, I got from that statement giving up 15 yards while eating more clock up and "hoping" for the offense to make an error is the smart way to go about defense, the way Polian thought certainly had flaws from what I gather with philosophy he apparently wanted to keep in place

http://www.cbssports...ace-the-cover-2 I particularly found this line amusing and hilarious Murphy, though, appears to be inching Indianapolis back to more Cover 2 as the team's base defensive alignment.

Colts vice president Bill Polian said as much during his weekly radio show.

"The philosophy of our defense (had) changed completely, and we're going back to what we used to be, which is that we believe that three 5-yard passes are better than one 20-yard pass"So we're going to give up some passes and make the tackle afterward and hope that by the time (opposing offenses are) down in the red zone that they make a mistake or they cough the ball up or later in the game the little receivers are tired of getting hit or you get bounce-offs or interceptions or things like that."," Polian said. Basically if that article is true and all that, I got from that statement giving up 15 yards while eating more clock up and "hoping" for the offense to make an error is the smart way to go about defense, the way Polian thought certainly had flaws from what I gather with philosophy he apparently wanted to keep in place

That's Dungy's defense, not Polian's. Sure, it had some flaws, but every defense does, honestly. I'm not a big Cover 2 fan, but I understand the way it's meant to work, and when you have the right players, it can be effective (see: Chicago Bears). Not only did we not have the right players, but we refused to adjust to the way offenses were attacking us, and it led to a lot of completions, which means a lot of tackles, which means smaller players missing tackles and getting worn down (Powers has essentially been used as a linebacker; no wonder he can't stay healthy), and so on. Next thing you know, we're giving up 62 points on national TV.

That's Dungy's defense, not Polian's. Sure, it had some flaws, but every defense does, honestly. I'm not a big Cover 2 fan, but I understand the way it's meant to work, and when you have the right players, it can be effective (see: Chicago Bears). Not only did we not have the right players, but we refused to adjust to the way offenses were attacking us, and it led to a lot of completions, which means a lot of tackles, which means smaller players missing tackles and getting worn down (Powers has essentially been used as a linebacker; no wonder he can't stay healthy), and so on. Next thing you know, we're giving up 62 points on national TV.

oh I know it was Dungys but it seemed Polian insisted on running it after Dungy was gone, thats what I mean, the date of that article was way after Dungy was gone, so obviously it was Dungys defense but it was Polian who seemingly chose to run it long after Dungy was gone, I know we didnt have the players for it to work as evident by our inability to stop the run, I just found it amusing that Polian seemingly still wanted to run the Cover 2 after Dungy left, if I read that correctly that is, I havent watched the 62-7 debacle yet but from the games I watched so far, I never recall seeing Powers used at a linebacker, to do so would be just be dumb.

You could blame it on many things. The play-calling left a lot to be desired when Jennings was here. And maybe the Bears' more aggressive scheme is better suited for him. Put Cam Newton in our offense last year and he goes nowhere. System has a big impact on how a player does. Talent goes so far, but if you're in the wrong system or the play-calling is bad, what can you do?

oh I know it was Dungys but it seemed Polian insisted on running it after Dungy was gone, thats what I mean, the date of that article was way after Dungy was gone, so obviously it was Dungys defense but it was Polian who seemingly chose to run it long after Dungy was gone, I know we didnt have the players for it to work as evident by our inability to stop the run, I just found it amusing that Polian seemingly still wanted to run the Cover 2 after Dungy left, if I read that correctly that is, I havent watched the 62-7 debacle yet but from the games I watched so far, I never recall seeing Powers used at a linebacker, to do so would be just be dumb.

There's been a lot of rumblings that Polian was pulling the strings when Caldwell took over for Dungy, so that could be true. But he acquired a lot of players to fit into Dungy's defense, so it would make sense to keep the same structure they'd spent so many years developing. Remember, the transition to Caldwell was meant to be as seamless as possible.

What I mean when I say Powers was used as a linebacker is that, when you give up 70% completions, and when you get run on a lot, your corners wind up trying to make a lot of tackles and being involved in a lot of contact that they normally wouldn't be. Powers and all our other corners were asked to do a lot more tackling than they would have in another scheme.