Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players fall every year, WalterFootball has him going anywhere from 3rd to the 5th but its so early yet, he could rise or fall

from what his stats say and the fact he was a rotational guy that sounds about right but I never seen him play so I dont know

I don't think that we need to take a RB in the 3rd. We should grab Jonathon Cooper in the third and then get Giovanni Bernard in the 4th. but I would look at

Im for that but I sure would hate to pass Ball up, I'd look at Travis Frederick, Alvin Bailey, Chance Warmack, and Larry Warford

I wouldn't say we are taking a CB in the first just yet. With the cap room next year, a top tier cb could be a great pick up. There will be a couple coming up for free agency. If we sign one, it would be the best for immediate improvement because cb is a position that takes a couple years to get used to. This situation woould free up the pick for maybe the OLB from Georgia, the ILB from Notre Dame, the NT's from Utah or Ohio State or the guard/tackle from Alababma.

im not so sure we take a cb in 1st round because pagano is great getting the best out of the secondary. hypothetically if we did draft amerson most likely a pass rusher would be taken in the 2nd round because freeney won't be back.

Why does everybody say Freeney wont be back. He said a month or so ago that he plans on retiring a colt. He said he feels sports stars should stay with the franchises that draft them. He even called out Lebron for leaving Clevland. Freeney will finish his career as a colt. The question is how big his contract will be and that will be determined by how well he plays OLB this year. He also said he repects how Wayne took less money to stay.

1. Highest rated pass rusher, either OLB or DE.

2. Corner

3. Highest rated OL regardless of position

4. Whatever we need more, WR or RB

5. Highest rated defensive player, with preference toward a Safety

6. Highest rated defensive player regardless of position

7 . Highest rated player, don't care which side of the ball.

I know we don't currently have a 5. But we will. When supplemental picks are doled out, we'll have a 5. And likely more.

This won't solve all our needs. But there is Free Agency and a ton of cap money we can spend.

Also, I think there's a chance we'll trade back a bit in the 1st round and pick up some needed picks. That might even happen in the 2nd round as well.

All that said, we'll need at least one more draft beyond this one to get the roster closer to where it needs to be.

This rebuild will be a marathon and not a spring. 6-10 in '12, 9-7 in '13, 11+ wins in '14 and beyond...

im not so sure we take a cb in 1st round because pagano is great getting the best out of the secondary. hypothetically if we did draft amerson most likely a pass rusher would be taken in the 2nd round because freeney won't be back.

I think you are right about not being laser focused on CB in the 1st. If we are drafting that high, a franchise caliber DT (think Ngata) is a tougher find if available. Furthermore, there is a real possibility that this is the last year we'll get a high pick in the Andrew Luck era - remember how hard top DT's were to come by in the Manning era?

I think Freeney is brought back, however.

I wouldn't say we are taking a CB in the first just yet. With the cap room next year, a top tier cb could be a great pick up. There will be a couple coming up for free agency. If we sign one, it would be the best for immediate improvement because cb is a position that takes a couple years to get used to. This situation woould free up the pick for maybe the OLB from Georgia, the ILB from Notre Dame, the NT's from Utah or Ohio State or the guard/tackle from Alababma.

There are no corners entering FA that would make me not want Amerson. There won't be any "top tier cb". Dominique Rodgers Cromartie (Doesn't Really Care) would be our best bet.

Some cornerback thoughts.....

Listening to some ESPN-types over the past few weeks and months, I'd like to share some thoughts they had.....

That cornerback, while incredibly important in this new era of passing-friendly rules.... is still secondary to putting constant pressure on the QB. Because even the best corner, without some help from the pass rush, is going to be burned sooner or later.

Note some of the team that didn't even make the playoffs last year.... The Eagles with 3 1st round corners, the Jets with 3 first round corners.... why? Not enough pass rush.

Teams like Green Bay and Philly just devoted nearly their entire draft to shore up their pass rush as well as their overall defense.

NE spent the top 2 rounds shoring up their pass rush and coverage.... but just look at the first round of the past few drafts... if you can find a pass rusher, you take them.

I love corner just as much as everyone else here does.... really, I do. But without a constant pass rush, and more than just Freeney and Mathis, we're going to need a lot more help pressuring the QB. Which is why over the next few years, I'm taking a pass rusher in the first, and a corner in the 2nd.... we'll figure everything else out as we go....

But the game is passing, and stopping the other guys passer. And the best way to do it is make the QB uncomfortable. The 2nd best way is coverage.

Just my $.02....

@ NewColtsFan

I agree 100%

A top linebacker, like Ray Lewis, has much more impact on defense, than any CB in the history of the game.

While I wouldn't mind drafting a top CB talent, I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a top WR prospect or a top ILB/OLB prospect instead (if the focus is on defense).

Why does everybody say Freeney wont be back. He said a month or so ago that he plans on retiring a colt. He said he feels sports stars should stay with the franchises that draft them. He even called out Lebron for leaving Clevland. Freeney will finish his career as a colt. The question is how big his contract will be and that will be determined by how well he plays OLB this year. He also said he repects how Wayne took less money to stay.

freeney is 32 and might have only 1 or 2 good years left, his best days are behind him. mathis is 31 and pass rushers are more important in the 3-4 defense then cb, which is why i believe will draft jarvis jones or mingo if we have a top 5 pick.

At the risk of stating an unpopular view, here I go....

In the first round, here's what I **don't** want....

I don't want a big defensive tackle, like Haloti Nagta.... and I flat-out LOVE that guy.

I don't want a run-stuffing ILB like Ray Lewis such as Monte' Teo... and I LOVE both of those guys too.

I don't want a WR like Robert Woods.... and he's sensational....

Here's why.... big run-stuffing DT's don't put enough pressure on the QB, most pressure comes from the outside...

As for the ILB spot... the way the game is now played, the ILB is now for most players, a two-down position. The ILB comes off the field on 3rd down for most teams. Replaced typically by a safety or a corner... but someone faster for coverage...

As for the WR position... it's dominated by diva's.... look at Blackmon (another DUI) and Floyd (three DUI's at Notre Dame).... with the rules being more generous toward WR's you can still get a very good one in rounds 2-4. And a decent one in the later rounds. Hey, don't blame me, I didn't make up the rules. I don't want Diva's on the Colts. No T.O., No Ocho Cinco.

I think all of those positions are important for the Colts. But they can be filled in either later rounds, or by Free Agency.

For the next two years -- at least -- all I care about is finding pressure from the edge (OLB, DE) and good cover guys (CB) in the first two-three rounds. That's it. Everything else will fall into place. I'm trying not to over-think things. The draft -- as much as I love it -- is only one part of building a team. And this is such a long process, I want to build the foundation the right way.

Pressure the quarterback, defend the pass, and invest in Andrew with line protection, receiving targets, and a running game.

Sorry to sound like a broken record on this..... just offering a different perspective for consideration....

@ NewColtsFan

I agree with your last post - To some extent.

Protecting Luck should be of high importance to Grigson. I'm sure he knows that as well, and our O-line seems okay at the moment.

Giving Luck some elite targets is just as important, so I would value the elite WR prospects highly, and most likely higher than you.

Drafting an elite prospect ILB like Te'o in the first round next year wouldn't make me to sad either.

Taking the top OLB would be great, as would the top CB.

It all depends on how Freeney/Mathis does this season with the new defensive scheme, and what happens with Freeney after that, and what happens in Free Agency next year as well.

@ NewColtsFan

I agree with your last post - To some extent.

Protecting Luck should be of high importance to Grigson. I'm sure he knows that as well, and our O-line seems okay at the moment.

Giving Luck some elite targets is just as important, so I would value the elite WR prospects highly, and most likely higher than you.

Drafting an elite prospect ILB like Te'o in the first round next year wouldn't make me to sad either.

Taking the top OLB would be great, as would the top CB.

It all depends on how Freeney/Mathis does this season with the new defensive scheme, and what happens with Freeney after that, and what happens in Free Agency next year as well.

I agree that much depends on how Freeney-Mathis and maybe even Hughes play. That said, we'll still need upgrades at DE. So, even if we LOVE what Freeney & Mathis do, and even if Hughes looks to be the eventual replacement for one of them, we'll still need more help then at DE.

Think of the teams that have a very good defense and still take more top defenders, especially pass rushers. Like the Giants. Like the Eagles. Like the Ravens. Think of teams that normally have good defenses but have fallen off, and are now trying to rebuild. Like the Packers, and the Patriots. You can't get enough pressure on the QB. You'll always need more.

Just food for thought......

At the risk of stating an unpopular view, here I go....

In the first round, here's what I **don't** want....

I don't want a big defensive tackle, like Haloti Nagta.... and I flat-out LOVE that guy.

I don't want a run-stuffing ILB like Ray Lewis such as Monte' Teo... and I LOVE both of those guys too.

I don't want a WR like Robert Woods.... and he's sensational....

Here's why.... big run-stuffing DT's don't put enough pressure on the QB, most pressure comes from the outside...

As for the ILB spot... the way the game is now played, the ILB is now for most players, a two-down position. The ILB comes off the field on 3rd down for most teams. Replaced typically by a safety or a corner... but someone faster for coverage...

As for the WR position... it's dominated by diva's.... look at Blackmon (another DUI) and Floyd (three DUI's at Notre Dame).... with the rules being more generous toward WR's you can still get a very good one in rounds 2-4. And a decent one in the later rounds. Hey, don't blame me, I didn't make up the rules. I don't want Diva's on the Colts. No T.O., No Ocho Cinco.

I think all of those positions are important for the Colts. But they can be filled in either later rounds, or by Free Agency.

For the next two years -- at least -- all I care about is finding pressure from the edge (OLB, DE) and good cover guys (CB) in the first two-three rounds. That's it. Everything else will fall into place. I'm trying not to over-think things. The draft -- as much as I love it -- is only one part of building a team. And this is such a long process, I want to build the foundation the right way.

Pressure the quarterback, defend the pass, and invest in Andrew with line protection, receiving targets, and a running game.

Sorry to sound like a broken record on this..... just offering a different perspective for consideration....

Nice post. I see your points and its hard to argue with some. Regardless of how Freeney, Mathis and Hughes play, I would love for the colts to draft the OLB from Georgia. What a lot of people don't know is that although he is a pass rushing beast, he is also very good in coverage. Lots of great pass rushers is a good thing. Third and long you move Freeney and Mathis up to play DE and have Hughes (if he is any good) and the Georgia OLB playing OLB. That would be 4 deadly pass rushers coming at you. Maybe even switch back to a 4 man front and use these 4 guys much like the Giants with their Nascar package. Huge pressure without having to blitz.

That being said, if Connor doesn't pick up the ILB this year I wouldn't mind an upgrade in the first two rounds. If Wayne really starts to decline, a WR might be a wise pick too. The Giants have drafted pass rushers and pass catchers frequently to have lots of depth and it has been huge for them. One star goes down and they are still okay. Like you, I'm not as concerned about a first round NT. The NT needs to take up space and stop the run. He wont play 3 downs. 3rd round or lower seems wise. If in a few years the team is 10-6 and think that position would get them over the top, okay. Not yet.

Again, nice post

North....

To your last point, about the NT....

It's my understanding that Chapman was likely to be a very high draft pick. Perhaps 3rd round, until his October injury. So getting him in the 5th is a steal. It's why I like Grigson/Pogano, they show they're not trying to rush this re-build. They're trying to build it right and lay down a good foundation. What Chapman is this year isn't as important as his whole career.

I like Big Picture, long-term thinking people. Most of the time, it's a very good way to run a sports franchise.

Thanks for the kind words....

That said, we'll still need upgrades at DE

Hard to disagree on that point. But then again, we could use quality at a lot of position like DE, OLB, ILB, CB, WR, RB as well as at our D-line. After all, there's a reason why only one Colts player (Freeney) was selected (@ 91) is in the NFL.com Top 100 this year. That tells a story as well. In order to get back to being a team that almost always went to the playoffs, you need more players who are among the very best at what they do, no matter if they're pass rushers, recievers, CB's or O/D-linemen.

I would however point out that having top class weapons on offense, is just as vital.

If you want players that put points on the board, you need to get the best talent available. With an aging Reggie Wayne, even if he is still a very good player, an Austin Collie that we have some concerns about with regards to concusions and an expiring contract and a player like Avery that's returning from a serious injury + some TE rooikes (even if they seem like interesting prospects) and WR rookies (all late round picks) giving us depth at WR, it should be clear that Luck doesn't have a top class gallery of targets.

It might do for this season and hopefully some of the WR rookies will grow way beyond what could be expected, but it doesn't exactly look like we have an offense that will set the league on fire for years to come.

So what's more important? Putting points on the board, or preventing the opposition from doing it?

A top WR prospect, think A.J. Green/Julio Jones, would be very welcome in my opinion, and you don't get those in round 4 and beyond, very often. The same thing could be said about RB.

I have no doubt that Grigson and Pagano would love to improve our defense, both our pass-rushing and our secondary, but I'm also quite sure that they realize that we need players who will put points on the board. That's why I'm convinced that Grigson will go with what he percieves to be the best player available. If he thinks the best player available is Woods, then he'll pick him. If he feels that Amerson is the best option, he'll take him. Same goes for Te'o, Lolutelei etc. He'll get the guy he thinks will improve our line-up the most for the future, and not only focus the draft on what part of the team that could use an upgrade right now.

By the way, I think that Chapman could very well turn out to be one the best picks, out of all players picked by all teams, in this years draft. Getting him that late was a steal, and if his knee holds up, he could very well be a top class NT for the future.