Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Biggest Concern This Season "The Injury Bug"

HtownColt

The Colts’ roster is not shaping up to be all that bad right now. Grigson, in my opinion, has done a great job so far, putting together a roster that can be competitive come September. Where my real concern lies however, is in the depth of the team. With one or two injuries to starters, which will inevitably happen, the Colts will very quickly become a team with many glaring holes.

Offense:

On the offensive side of the ball I have far less concerns. The Quarterback position is in great shape with Drew Stanton in the wings should the worst happen(Andrew Luck fall to injury). Along the O-line and at tailback I feel the Colts are able to deal with one or two injuries, although neither unit is exceptional, both are stronger than the prior season. in my view. With the receiving corps, I see the potential for injuries to hurt here the most. At tight end, I am less concerned. With the wide receivers, I see many potential struggles should the injury bug bite. If Wayne or Avery goes down, currently the roster does not possess an reliable replacement, I like both Collie and Hilton but both are set to line-up in the slot(even though i believe Brazil can hold the fort down on the outside for a couple of weeks but not for a significant amount of time though).This would leave Luck without weapons outside and make it more challenging to complete passes underneath.

Defense:Secondary

this is where my main issues are if the Injury bug bites on the defensive side we have a nice starting group but the depth is simply not there. The Colts secondary is lowest in the League in terms of high caliber players(besides Powers who i really like as far as CBs go) but as both starters at safety are very good football players, especially Antoine Bethea, who I’d rank among the top free safeties in the league. The acquisition of Mike Jenkins (if finalised) would certainly help the Colts secondary, but still should he or Powers get injured, I can’t help but feel the ‘next man up’ slogan just is going to be too much of a drop off(but Thomas and Rucker does have the potential just have to get their chance and prove it).

Defense:D-Line and Linebackers

With the D-line and linebackers, depth is less of an issue. we have quality NT in (Chapman.McKinney, and Anunoby) so im not really concerned there. DE in(Redding,Nevis,Moala, and....) I would be really concerned if one of them was to go down to injury then we would have nobody and Pagano would really have his work cut out for him and be creative to cover up the loss of a DE. OLB not really a concern just hoping Jerry Hughes can show up this year and Addison and Fugger can be serviceable. ILB concerned if Connor of Angerer go down for a significant time.AJ Edds, Harvey, are going to have to play lights out to fill the void at ILB.

but hopefully our injuries will be just 1-3 week injuries if we do have injuries to major starters this year.

Special Teams:

No doubt in my mind Hilton and Brazil will really solidify and make our Kick return and Punt Return a real threat this year.

just telling everybody my main concern going into the season(the injury bug).just hope we all went to the doctor and got our injury bug shots this year because we are going to need it.I love what the Colts have done this offseason, and realistically a team is always going to have a hole or two, here and there.the backups on defense are simply not there this year but the starting groups look really good.The backups on offense seem to look fairly good I like how Grigson shaped up the offense from starters to backups on that side its just the backups on the defensive side im biting my nails on.

with MY Optimism and barring injury we are could to compete for that last wildcard spot

Injuries are a part of the game, we lack depth yes but many teams do. depth players are for later rounds, starters are in early rounds

i know that thats why i said i hope its just 1-3 weeks injuries and not significant season ending injuries

I believe we will get Jenkins but Dallas has to play their cards right to get best value from us.

i do as well just going to come somewhere in July..Jerry Jones isnt dumb enough to let a guy walk for free after the season knowing he wants out

I hope we dont get Jenkins, the asking price will undoubtedly be high considering they turned down a 3rd and a 4th for him from us (thank god), if and likely when we have at the very least a top 10 pick and likely higher then that then we can get a Corner in the 1st and a 3-4 hybrid linebacker in the second

The Colts’ roster is not shaping up to be all that bad right now. Grigson, in my opinion, has done a great job so far, putting together a roster that can be competitive come September. Where my real concern lies however, is in the depth of the team. With one or two injuries to starters, which will inevitably happen, the Colts will very quickly become a team with many glaring holes.

Offense:

On the offensive side of the ball I have far less concerns. The Quarterback position is in great shape with Drew Stanton in the wings should the worst happen(Andrew Luck fall to injury). Along the O-line and at tailback I feel the Colts are able to deal with one or two injuries, although neither unit is exceptional, both are stronger than the prior season. in my view. With the receiving corps, I see the potential for injuries to hurt here the most. At tight end, I am less concerned. With the wide receivers, I see many potential struggles should the injury bug bite. If Wayne or Avery goes down, currently the roster does not possess an reliable replacement, I like both Collie and Hilton but both are set to line-up in the slot(even though i believe Brazil can hold the fort down on the outside for a couple of weeks but not for a significant amount of time though).This would leave Luck without weapons outside and make it more challenging to complete passes underneath.

Defense:Secondary

this is where my main issues are if the Injury bug bites on the defensive side we have a nice starting group but the depth is simply not there. The Colts secondary is lowest in the League in terms of high caliber players(besides Powers who i really like as far as CBs go) but as both starters at safety are very good football players, especially Antoine Bethea, who I’d rank among the top free safeties in the league. The acquisition of Mike Jenkins (if finalised) would certainly help the Colts secondary, but still should he or Powers get injured, I can’t help but feel the ‘next man up’ slogan just is going to be too much of a drop off(but Thomas and Rucker does have the potential just have to get their chance and prove it).

Defense:D-Line and Linebackers

With the D-line and linebackers, depth is less of an issue. we have quality NT in (Chapman.McKinney, and Anunoby) so im not really concerned there. DE in(Redding,Nevis,Moala, and....) I would be really concerned if one of them was to go down to injury then we would have nobody and Pagano would really have his work cut out for him and be creative to cover up the loss of a DE. OLB not really a concern just hoping Jerry Hughes can show up this year and Addison and Fugger can be serviceable. ILB concerned if Connor of Angerer go down for a significant time.AJ Edds, Harvey, are going to have to play lights out to fill the void at ILB.

but hopefully our injuries will be just 1-3 week injuries if we do have injuries to major starters this year.

Special Teams:

No doubt in my mind Hilton and Brazil will really solidify and make our Kick return and Punt Return a real threat this year.

just telling everybody my main concern going into the season(the injury bug).just hope we all went to the doctor and got our injury bug shots this year because we are going to need it.I love what the Colts have done this offseason, and realistically a team is always going to have a hole or two, here and there.the backups on defense are simply not there this year but the starting groups look really good.The backups on offense seem to look fairly good I like how Grigson shaped up the offense from starters to backups on that side its just the backups on the defensive side im biting my nails on.

with MY Optimism and barring injury we are could to compete for that last wildcard spot

Regarding us getting Jenkins there was another article on NFL.com saying how Jerry Jones had come out and said that the cowboys are not trading Jenkins no matter what draft picks are offered, they apperantly still see him being a part of thier future. Now If he really does continue to refuse to participate in workouts and does not attend any activities including training camp when starts then we may see them open up to the posibility again, at least you would think they would but they seem pretty stubborn about this thing so far and it looks like they have no intentions of trying to grant him anything he wants. They are doing what Jerry and the management want. So as of right now there is no deal that will be done.

Regarding us getting Jenkins there was another article on NFL.com saying how Jerry Jones had come out and said that the cowboys are not trading Jenkins no matter what draft picks are offered, they apperantly still see him being a part of thier future. Now If he really does continue to refuse to participate in workouts and does not attend any activities including training camp when starts then we may see them open up to the posibility again, at least you would think they would but they seem pretty stubborn about this thing so far and it looks like they have no intentions of trying to grant him anything he wants. They are doing what Jerry and the management want. So as of right now there is no deal that will be done.

Jenkins agent said he would report to mandatory minicamps in June

Don't worry, we have a new Strength & Conditioning Coach and our players are bigger now.

All's well.

Not only that buccolts, we have Pagano & a coaching staff that actually knows how to teach correct technique regarding hand, feet, & arm placement particularly in the trenches on the o-line & d-line where games are literally won or lost.

Not only that buccolts, we have Pagano & a coaching staff that actually knows how to teach correct technique regarding hand, feet, & arm placement particularly in the trenches on the o-line & d-line where games are literally won or lost.

So we didn't have coaches that taught correct technique..learn something new everyday lol that's pretty laughable if you ask me

So we didn't have coaches that taught correct technique..learn something new everyday lol that's pretty laughable if you ask me

I agree with this ppl are acting like grigson and pagano are like two jedis coming to save the planet... I'm sure the previous coaches knew what they were doing, if they didn't I doubt they'd be in the NFL much less rehired by other teams.

Laugh all you want Htown. Caldwell & his staff didn't know what in the bleep the were doing. It took that coaching staff forever to make mandatory player changes & as a result most of that staff was fired. Happy to serve as your comedy relief sir. Laugh to your heart's content; I could care less or give a bleep what you think sir.

I agree with this ppl are acting like grigson and pagano are like two jedis coming to save the planet... I'm sure the previous coaches knew what they were doing, if they didn't I doubt they'd be in the NFL much less rehired by other teams.

Where in the world did you ascertain that Smitto? People are not elevating either Pagano or Grigson to the pinnacle of NFL prodigies. They are simply looking at the track record of these 2 men on winning football franchises the Eagles & the Ravens.

If Andy Reid, Ray Lewis, T-sizzle, & Ed Reed speak highly of these men [Grigson & Pagano], I think the Colts are on the road to recovery & re-emergence. Does that serve as a precursor to Championship Greatness? No, of course not. But, putting girth on the line is a step in the right direction. No Jedi mind trick mastery here just establishing fundamental building blocks on our squad & seeing where the chips fall as the season progresses. Nothing more; nothing less.

Laugh all you want Htown. Caldwell & his staff didn't know what in the bleep the were doing. It took that coaching staff forever to make mandatory player changes & as a result most of that staff was fired. Happy to serve as your comedy relief sir. Laugh to your heart's content; I could care less or give a bleep what you think sir.

No need to get sensitive sir it was just a laughable statement that NFL coaches don't teach correct technique. I don't kno exactly but some of the coaches got re-hired by another team so obviously they were teaching something right

No need to get sensitive sir it was just a laughable statement that NFL coaches don't teach correct technique. I don't kno exactly but some of the coaches got re-hired by another team so obviously they were teaching something right

I will readily admit that I owe you an apology. Sorry for that HtownColt. You didn't deserve that response on my part. I was a tad bit venomous with my reaction. You do put considerable thought into your posts & that is to be commended & respected.

Getting hired by another squad doesn't necessarily signify football knowledge. There are voids to fill when people take new coordinator and coaching position & a limited number of personnel who possess a working familiarity with said vacancies. Yes, credentials matter of course, but sometimes you fill a need with an adequate replacement on a staff until someone better becomes available just like active roster spots on a team.

I do value your opinion HtownColt & please accept my apology for my unprovoked outburst. Thank you.

I will readily admit that I owe you an apology. Sorry for that HtownColt. You didn't deserve that response on my part. I was a tad bit venomous with my reaction. You do put considerable thought into your posts & that is to be commended & respected.

Getting hired by another squad doesn't necessarily signify football knowledge. There are voids to fill when people take new coordinator and coaching position & a limited number of personnel who possess a working familiarity with said vacancies. Yes, credentials matter of course, but sometimes you fill a need with an adequate replacement on a staff until someone better becomes available just like active roster spots on a team.

I do value your opinion HtownColt & please accept my apology for my unprovoked outburst. Thank you.

It's all good. Ain't no hard feelings I don't take things to heart on here because at the end of the day we are all Colts fans and want the best for our team and that's all that matters to me

I wish we could control injuries....

It used to be that we got injuries because we were small and old..

..until we drafted 3 big, young linemen last year and they all got hurt..in the first half of the year

We can survive any injury except one to Andrew Luck..we have some depth

I wish we could control injuries....

It used to be that we got injuries because we were small and old..

..until we drafted 3 big, young linemen last year and they all got hurt..in the first half of the year

We can survive any injury except one to Andrew Luck..we have some depth

Injuries will be interesting to watch this year. If we have fewer injuries maybe our strength and conditioning coachs will get some credit. Maybe the schemes on defense will help because the outside linebackers make more tackles taking some pressure off of the CBs. Maybe it will be the luck of the Irish.

Getting cb Jenkins is a double edge sword yes we need him but our draft picks a finally gold. I say save the picksa draft a high cb next year. Plus that will save us more cap space.

I agree. I don't know that we "need" Jenkins; he's not that good, and we're not that bad (not as bad as people say we are). But this isn't the time to go trading high draft picks for average NFL players. We drafted the best quarterback and the two best tight ends in the draft this year, because we were drafting high. Hold on to our picks and draft well. We'll spend some money next year in free agency, and might grab a corner or two. Don't give up anything higher than a 4th for Jenkins (and that's more than I really would want).