Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does NEW Coaching Staff bring Change in Direction?

TKnight24

Everyone knows we have a NEW Coaching Staff. In the Peyton Era, we Drafted mostly Offensive. But with Pagano & Manusky now taking over, does anyone see a change in direction during Draft Day & Free Agency? Do we start to bring in more Defensive Players now? Or does Pagano, Manusky, & Arians keep it Balanced?

Let me know what you guys think...........

I'd say since we went almost all offense this year then we go almost all defense next year, I'd say best player available but also best player available based on need, we loaded up on offense....if those picks work out, then I expect us to load up on defense with not all of our picks next year but the majority

I'd say since we went almost all offense this year then we go almost all defense next year, I'd say best player available but also best player available based on need, we loaded up on offense....if those picks work out, then I expect us to load up on defense with not all of our picks next year but the majority

That's what I was thinking. But with the moves in Free Agency, CB's is probably the MAIN Target for Defense. And maybe another DE or Two for when Freeney & Mathis start to get more Older

I think we well have a more balanced team, with good O-line and a decent D. NExt season D will be targeted ore, IMO. They have already tried to reinforce our D, and to put in some weight. We will see, how will they keep on uilding, but I'm optimistic so far.

They've strengthened O-line this season because of Luck, a rookie QB needs very good protection and targets to perform.

I believe there is some change in direction. Colts will be looking for bigger, stronger, and faster players but still following the best player available criteria. Grigson felt this year that there were better players on offense in this draft than defense. Over time the tallent pool should even out. Maybe 2013 the pool switches to defense. If we use Baltimore and Philadelphia as the examples it seemed Baltimore wanted bigger players and Philadelphia looked for faster players. I believe Grigson is looking for both. Ryan seems to be a personell geek. Some of the players he has brought in like Foster, Harvey, and Annunoby most people did not know about or had dropped them off their radars. Grigson will do well in rounds 1 and 2 but where we will judge him will be in rounds 3-7 along with UDFAs. I like the entire draft he put together this year and several of the players he got as UDFAs. I have a feeling that some of the cuts we make wont make it the practice squad but will be picked by other teams from the waiver wire.

I think that Grigson will be more active in FA than Polian ever was.

I'm not so sure that we'll be going all defense in next years draft. It will depend on how things work out in FA, and we also have some issues with regards to players contracts expiring, and key offensive players like Reggie Wayne aging, and some concerns about Austin Collie and concusions. Other players could be seriously injured during the season, and that might change our priorities as well.

So who knows what our main focus will be in the draft next year. Maybe we will sort out the CB situation through FA's, maybe we won't. It's all pure speculation with way to many unknown factors at this point.

I think we will see a much different team. Where as in the past we wanted our foot on the gas and play that up-tempo, fast pace, score as fast as you can team, changing into a team that wants to slow it down and punch you in the mouth, break your will. I just cant decide if it does turn out like this, will I like the change? I am leaning towards no.

I think that Grigson will be more active in FA than Polian ever was.

I'm not so sure that we'll be going all defense in next years draft. It will depend on how things work out in FA, and we also have some issues with regards to players contracts expiring, and key offensive players like Reggie Wayne aging, and some concerns about Austin Collie and concusions. Other players could be seriously injured during the season, and that might change our priorities as well.

So who knows what our main focus will be in the draft next year. Maybe we will sort out the CB situation through FA's, maybe we won't. It's all pure speculation with way to many unknown factors at this point.

I agree completely. Very well reasoned with consideration of so many variables. It is an arbitrary assumption for people to think we will be heavier in defensive draft focus just because we were heavy on the offensive side this year. We may find that our OL pieces don't click and our DL pieces do. We had a lot more proven defensive pieces to work with on the roster going into the draft than we did on offense. If we are lucky, we merely balanced it out a bit.

One move that wouldn't surprise me is if we draft a stud DT/DE type next year if we have a top 10 pick...even if we like our current pieces pretty well. As Luck matures, we won't get a chance to draft that high very often, and that is about the only time you can get access to Ngata type talent (if they feel one is available and worthy of the pick). Rush LB's, CB's and nearly every other position can draft well throughout the 1st round and later rounds, but most of the Stud interior DL are drafted really high. Polian's Colts proved this as they couldn't truly make the Tampa 2 work without Warren Sapp....and Peyton was too good to give us a chance to draft that high. Getting a dominant player at DE/DT changes the effectiveness of every other position on defense whether it is a Justin Smith type player or a monster like Ngata. You can scheme all you want, but all schemes really on difference makers at each level of the defense. I'll bet that if you cornered Pagano, he would tell you that only two players were irreplaceable in his defense - Ngata and Reed with Ngata #1.

I think we will see a much different team. Where as in the past we wanted our foot on the gas and play that up-tempo, fast pace, score as fast as you can team, changing into a team that wants to slow it down and punch you in the mouth, break your will. I just cant decide if it does turn out like this, will I like the change? I am leaning towards no.

if they win i wont like it either.... i'd love it!!!!!

I'm pretty sure Terrence Cody was and still is irreplaceable

While I'm not a big fan of his personally, I think professionally speaking, you have to include a LB named Ray Lewis in that group as well. Did I also mention Terrell Suggs? There are lots and lots of irreplaceable pieces on that Ravens defense. It has some serious talent -- difference makers one poster called them -- in that unit.

There isn't one mentioned in this thread that I don't like.... sick, sick defense.

NCF

Everyone knows we have a NEW Coaching Staff. In the Peyton Era, we Drafted mostly Offensive. But with Pagano & Manusky now taking over, does anyone see a change in direction during Draft Day & Free Agency? Do we start to bring in more Defensive Players now? Or does Pagano, Manusky, & Arians keep it Balanced?

Let me know what you guys think...........

I'm not going to be able to do this post the justice it deserves, but I'll give it a shot. I think it's been accepted in most quarters that the Colts draft of 8 offensive players and only 2 defensive players was by design. I don't know what was in the Indy papers or media, but on some website (sorry, I can't even remember where I saw it) I read an on-line story written by a one-time NFL scout. His view was the buzz inside the NFL is that the Colts were planning on taking a CB from Vanderbilt at the top of the 3rd round when Hayward was taken with one of the final picks of the 2nd round. Then, when they traded up to the bottom of the 3rd round and took T.Y. Hilton, the primary target was another corner. I don't recall if it was Fleming, the corner from Oklahoma or Bently, the corner from Louisian-Lafayette.

I offer this one to say that while the final results look like we were deliberately going offense all the way, if this scout is to be believed, we were not. And the quotes from Grigson afterwards, about staying true to their board were all over the place. So, apparently we were trying for a corner in the 3rd round, and when the players we wanted weren't there, we didn't reach or panic, we went with the next best.... Allen, the TE at the top of the 3rd, Hilton, the WR-returner, at the bottom of the 3rd.

I tell this story to lead to this.... given a possible pick in the 6-10 region, I'm confident that the Colts were look for the best pass rusher available and also the best corner available in the first two rounds. To me it makes sense that you've got to address the needs of the defense. Even if it's improved this year, it's going to need to be upgraded. Younger, stronger, faster, more skilled. It just has to.

But, at the same time, when you're invested with the good fortune to get an Andrew Luck, you've got to protect that investment. So, I'd expect rounds 3-4 to go offense, best available. I'd guess OL and RB or WR.

And the rest of the draft I'd expect more defense.

The year AFTER that, 2014.... I'd expect much more defense. Perhaps even the first 4 rounds. You can't win the biggest games without good defense. So, you need a serious commitment. See what Philadelphia did. And what Green Bay and New England did.

Apologies. This went on way too long. But the topic fascinates me.... (it's my inner-GM in me!)

NewColtsFan

No matter what the colts tell you they draft on needs... if they didnt then they wouldn't have drafted luck, fleener and Allen.... they had a plan going into the draft... they'll draft in the needed area based on the upcoming season.

As for free agency, by the way grigson is active with trades and rumors on the defensive side it kinda tells you what they're focussing on now.

No matter what the colts tell you they draft on needs... if they didnt then they wouldn't have drafted luck, fleener and Allen.... they had a plan going into the draft... they'll draft in the needed area based on the upcoming season.

As for free agency, by the way grigson is active with trades and rumors on the defensive side it kinda tells you what they're focussing on now.

I'm so glad that we now have a GM active with Free Agency!!

I'm so glad that we now have a GM active with Free Agency!!

Me as well and it looks like they like speed as well judging from the receivers and corners they got and are pursuing. Should be an interesting training camp and preaseason

While I'm not a big fan of his personally, I think professionally speaking, you have to include a LB named Ray Lewis in that group as well. Did I also mention Terrell Suggs? There are lots and lots of irreplaceable pieces on that Ravens defense. It has some serious talent -- difference makers one poster called them -- in that unit.

There isn't one mentioned in this thread that I don't like.... sick, sick defense.

NCF

No I meant Terrence Cody is like 6'2 or somewhere around there and close to 350 pounds

NCF

You are being too broad - those are great players, but not irreplaceable. There was a time in his career that Lewis was, not now. Suggs you can make an argument for because of his proven versatility in that scheme - but he mostly an edge pass rusher and can be replaced (or we'll soon find out). Ngata and Reed do things no other players can do. An unblockable DL and a FS with a knack for coming up with the ball do things that you can't really invent a scheme to defeat.

I'm pretty sure Terrence Cody was and still is irreplaceable

Not really sure what you mean here. Cody does what needs doing in that scheme, like a lot of big fat NT's around the league do. Gotta have one, but very replaceable.

Indy traditionally drafted for offense....because of where we play..and the skill level of our QB

....and Indy 'The Next Generation' has continued that trend...

If we are successfull (which I'd define as a .500 season) I would, guess we'll continue to draft skill position players.

(Corner back is also a skill position. in my mind)

But we're always going to be an offensive team.

Indy traditionally drafted for offense....because of where we play..and the skill level of our QB

If we are successfull (which I'd define as a .500 season) I would, guess we'll continue to draft skill position players.

I see a clear departure, led by Mr. Irsay, in how we are going to do things this time around. He knows what mistakes were made previously when building around a franchise QB....or he would have kept the front office he had that set a record for wins in a decade. To me, it is premature to say we'll always be an offensive team. You are always re-shuffling the deck - just ask the Patriots - but having a franchise QB gives you a chance to win even when reshaping your roster. The Patriots have gone through an offensive phase, where they have used a lot of retrofit parts on D, but are they an offensive team?

You are being too broad - those are great players, but not irreplaceable. There was a time in his career that Lewis was, not now. Suggs you can make an argument for because of his proven versatility in that scheme - but he mostly an edge pass rusher and can be replaced (or we'll soon find out). Ngata and Reed do things no other players can do. An unblockable DL and a FS with a knack for coming up with the ball do things that you can't really invent a scheme to defeat.

Not really sure what you mean here. Cody does what needs doing in that scheme, like a lot of big fat NT's around the league do. Gotta have one, but very replaceable.

EVERY player is replaceable, out with the old or unproductive or injured in with the new and eager to learn and earn there spot and money

Right because offense wins championships :rollseyes: , we clearly showed that the last 14 years. Grigson looks to be trying to make this a two year project

I see a clear departure, led by Mr. Irsay, in how we are going to do things this time around. He knows what mistakes were made previously when building around a franchise QB....or he would have kept the front office he had that set a record for wins in a decade. To me, it is premature to say we'll always be an offensive team. You are always re-shuffling the deck - just ask the Patriots - but having a franchise QB gives you a chance to win even when reshaping your roster. The Patriots have gone through an offensive phase, where they have used a lot of retrofit parts on D, but are they an offensive team?

Well we still built around the QB this draft the way I see it to give Luck some stability and some players he was used to playing with so not all things have changed yet just the FO. JMO of course. I have a feeling after Luck get a year under his belt maybe next years draft will be different.

The 'mistakes' led to two AFC titles...a Super Bowl and 10 consecutive playoff appearanaces...

You are mistaken.

We will be built around the skills of the QB and the ability to score...the draft suggests that (loudly)

No reason to mess with a proven formula

You did not read my comment

Cody is close to 350 pounds. You don't just "replace that"

You did not read my comment

Cody is close to 350 pounds. You don't just "replace that"

Sure I did. Three Fitty is not that rare anymore as a stand alone attribute. Nice feature to have, though. Many are proving to be just as or more effective at 320 - 340# range, but if you like 'em @ 350+, I got no problem with that.

The 'mistakes' led to two AFC titles...a Super Bowl and 10 consecutive playoff appearanaces...

You are mistaken.

We will be built around the skills of the QB and the ability to score...the draft suggests that (loudly)

Oh, you felt stronger about that than I realized. I suspect you are right that we will build around our franchise QB to create the ability to score. Seems like a good idea to me as well. That does not, however mean that mistakes weren't made and that there is nothing to learn from it when given a second chance. Question for you....did the Colts max out their competitive ceiling during the Manning years?

You are mistaken.

Actually if we are being accurate here then what led us to two AFC titles and two appearances in Super Bowls is Peyton and our defense show up in the playoffs those two years because Peyton really didn't (throwing 1 touchdown in each game). as for the Super Bowls themselves the defense and running the ball kept up in those games and won 1 of them, Peyton didnt have a good game in either Super Bowl, but guess what happened, we got two facets of the game to show up for us that didn't show up at all those years until the playoffs that won the game for us in one and kept us in the other one till the interception by Porter at the end. What happened when Peyton went down this year? we saw all the flaws we had and not just at backup quarterback because our running game and defense was inconsistent BUT it did win us 1 Super Bowl and kept us in another. New England hasn't, Pittsburgh hasn't, Giants haven't all won multiple Super Bowls just because they had offense, those teams all had or have a great defense also the key to winning a Super Bowl was defense in all of those Super Bowls those teams were in including ours

Sure I did. Three Fitty is not that rare anymore as a stand alone attribute. Nice feature to have, though. Many are proving to be just as or more effective at 320 - 340# range, but if you like 'em @ 350+, I got no problem with that.

I don't know where you're getting at 350 is not rare anymore

I don't know where you're getting at 350 is not rare anymore

You act like he has crossed into undiscovered territory. He is a biggin', we are in complete agreement on that. Probably even bigger than we are giving him credit for. Beyond that, I just don't see the point. Big, yes....pretty good, yes....comes off the field on 3rd down, yes.

You act like he has crossed into undiscovered territory. He is a biggin', we are in complete agreement on that. Probably even bigger than we are giving him credit for. Beyond that, I just don't see the point. Big, yes....pretty good, yes....comes off the field on 3rd down, yes.

You know what forget let's just start over.