Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Amerson

Amerson looks like one of the best CB prospects in a while, he has great size at 6'3, great hands (13 ints!!), great coverage ability, great instincts, and good, not elite, but good speed. He's faster than any of last years corners. Nearly flawless looking prospect. We could well be in position to draft him in the top ten, and CB looks like our biggest need. Not to mention Pagano is a secondary extraordinaire, and could make him one of the best. I would love to have us draft him (well, whoever is the best CB in the class really) next year. What about you?

I'd happily take him or Robert Woods, unless Hilton ends up being quality when we won't really need a WR. CB is definitely our top need but I'd love a future #1 WR, think Peyton/Marvin and then Peyton/Wayne. Nobody at the moment Luck can really build that with.

I'd happily take him or Robert Woods, unless Hilton ends up being quality when we won't really need a WR. CB is definitely our top need but I'd love a future #1 WR, think Peyton/Marvin and then Peyton/Wayne. Nobody at the moment Luck can really build that with.

I totally agree, and you never know, maybe Pagano's coaching suddenly makes Powers a Pro Bowler, or Rucker and Thomas look like future stars, and our picks at WR this year look to me like slot receivers, #2 guys at best.

I totally agree, and you never know, maybe Pagano's coaching suddenly makes Powers a Pro Bowler, or Rucker and Thomas look like future stars, and our picks at WR this year look to me like slot receivers, #2 guys at best.

Yeah exactly. Though who knows - maybe Amerson has a terrible year and his stock plummets, maybe LaVon Brazill turns out to be a pro bowler, who knows! But on Amerson, as it stands, I'm really impressed by him. Would certainly not be upset to see him come to us... but hopefully we're not in a position to be able to draft him!

Hmm... interesting I started a thread about this dude up in April but uh you know what whatever forget it, it doesn't even matter.

Yeah I want him but then it gets to the point where I want to see him face teams with Matt Barkley's and Tyler Wilson's as their QBs to see what this dude can really do.

Yeah exactly. Though who knows - maybe Amerson has a terrible year and his stock plummets, maybe LaVon Brazill turns out to be a pro bowler, who knows! But on Amerson, as it stands, I'm really impressed by him. Would certainly not be upset to see him come to us... but hopefully we're not in a position to be able to draft him!

Hmm... interesting I started a thread about this dude up in April but uh you know what whatever forget it, it doesn't even matter.

Yeah I want him but then it gets to the point where I want to see him face teams with Matt Barkley's and Tyler Wilson's as their QBs to see what this dude can really do.

I would LOVE to have Amerson! I agree with AC17 that I want to see him go up against better QB's.

This article has him as the #1 player in the draft.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/49ers/2013-nfl-mock-draft-top-50-players-available

amerson is a great player and possibly could be the next revis, but robert woods could be the next marvin harrison. if both amerson and woods turns out to have great careers like revis or harrison, which one would you gus rather have?

Amerson, we need a Corner more anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Xavier Rhodes is the better prospect. He will be ranked ahead of Amerson come draft time, he goes against better talented teams week in and week out. He truly is a lockdown corner. Amerson isn't the next Derelle Revis at all, when you watch the tape on him, he doesn't excel in man coverage. He does very well in zone and has good instincts and his size helps him to get picks when using that instinct.

From what I've been able to look up on the web, all these CB's (see list) will be free agents in 2013. So maybe we'll swoop in for one or more of these guys, and go another direction in the 2013 draft.

Chris Owens – ATL

Domonique Foxworth – BAL

Leodis McKelvin – BUF

Darius Butler – CAR

Captain Munnerlyn – CAR

D.J. Moore – CHI

Sheldon Brown – CLE

Michael Jenkins – DAL

Danny McCray – DAL ®

Aaron Berry – DET ®

Alphonso Smith – DET

Sam Shields – GB ®

Brice McCain – HOU

David Caldwell – IND ®

Jerraud Powers – IND

Derek Cox – JAC

Yeremiah Bell – MIA

Sean Smith – MIA

Asher Allen – MIN

Josh Barrett – NE

Jabari Greer – NO

Brian Witherspoon – NYG

Brandon Hughes – PHI

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – PHI

Bryant McFadden – PIT

Quentin Jammer – SD

Antoine Cason – SD

Shawntae Spencer – SF

Ronald Bartell – STL

Bradley Fletcher – STL

Aqib Talib – TB

E.J. Biggers – TB

Jason McCourty – TEN

Ryan Mouton – TEN

Kevin Barnes – WAS

There's clearly a couple of very capable guys on the list, so even if Amerson IS an interesting prospect, and IF he doesn't get injured AND plays at the same high level as last season, we might not have the same need for a CB when it's time for the 2013 draft as we do now. Maybe Grigson et al feels that there's another player who we would be better of for picking, instead of the highest rated CB available.

That said, I wouldn't mind adding Amerson to our roster, but he's not the only potential first rounder that I would love to add to the Colts roster next year.

From what I've been able to look up on the web, all these CB's (see list) will be free agents in 2013. So maybe we'll swoop in for one or more of these guys, and go another direction in the 2013 draft.

Chris Owens – ATL

Domonique Foxworth – BAL

Leodis McKelvin – BUF

Darius Butler – CAR

Captain Munnerlyn – CAR

D.J. Moore – CHI

Sheldon Brown – CLE

Michael Jenkins – DAL

Danny McCray – DAL ®

Aaron Berry – DET ®

Alphonso Smith – DET

Sam Shields – GB ®

Brice McCain – HOU

David Caldwell – IND ®

Jerraud Powers – IND

Derek Cox – JAC

Yeremiah Bell – MIA

Sean Smith – MIA

Asher Allen – MIN

Josh Barrett – NE

Jabari Greer – NO

Brian Witherspoon – NYG

Brandon Hughes – PHI

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie – PHI

Bryant McFadden – PIT

Quentin Jammer – SD

Antoine Cason – SD

Shawntae Spencer – SF

Ronald Bartell – STL

Bradley Fletcher – STL

Aqib Talib – TB

E.J. Biggers – TB

Jason McCourty – TEN

Ryan Mouton – TEN

Kevin Barnes – WAS

There's clearly a couple of very capable guys on the list, so even if Amerson IS an interesting prospect, and IF he doesn't get injured AND plays at the same high level as last season, we might not have the same need for a CB when it's time for the 2013 draft as we do now. Maybe Grigson et al feels that there's another player who we would be better of for picking, instead of the highest rated CB available.

That said, I wouldn't mind adding Amerson to our roster, but he's not the only potential first rounder that I would love to add to the Colts roster next year.

you threw in a couple safeties, Bell but outside of Cromartie and Greer. Mccourty and maybe Jammer I would pass but I think all the big names on that list will get picked up by there teams anyway

I just copied the list from another site, and removed Cassius Vaughn.

Maybe they, the FA's, will be resigned, maybe other teams will sign them and who knows if Grigson has one of them in his sights? Maybe we'll trade for someone who's not on the list? We could also be so lucky that the CB's on our current roster all have great seasons and play remarkably well. One could always hope...

Fact is that we don't know all the variables at this point, so there's really no way we could make any informed guess with regards to what the Colts might be going for @ the draft next year.

I agree fully that Amerson is an elite prospect, and could be a potential #1 pick for us. I'm sure there are similar thoughts from fans from different NFL teams as well. But it's way to early to pencil Amerson, or anyone else, in as the guy we just gotta have.

I'm all for discussing potential targets and rating targets against each other, but we should all realize that what the team "needs" today, it might not "need" a year from now.

I like David Amerson, but if Robert Woods is there, take him. 111 Rec for 1292 yards and 15 TD's last year...that's ridiculous. He has the make-up of a #1 WR and that's something we'll need sooner rather than later when Reggie hangs up the pads. WR > CB will always be true for me. Where are these shut-down corners' super bowl rings at? Give me a WR that Luck can win with.

That said, I do think the CB pool is deep next year. I can't wait to see Rhodes, Milliner, Banks do as well.

This is all premature of course. We'll have a better feel for what the Colts need and how good the 2013 prospects are much later.

I like David Amerson, but if Robert Woods is there, take him. 111 Rec for 1292 yards and 15 TD's last year...that's ridiculous. He has the make-up of a #1 WR and that's something we'll need sooner rather than later when Reggie hangs up the pads. WR > CB will always be true for me. Where are these shut-down corners' super bowl rings at? Give me a WR that Luck can win with.

That said, I do think the CB pool is deep next year. I can't wait to see Rhodes, Milliner, Banks do as well.

This is all premature of course. We'll have a better feel for what the Colts need and how good the 2013 prospects are much later.

you can find tall fast wide receivers with good hands throughout the draft, shut down Corners are rare but as to your question about 'where are these shutdown Corners Super Bowl rings at, ever heard of Ty Law, he won a couple and a large part of that was because he had 11 career interceptions including three in the 2003 AFC Championship team, combine that with the rule enforcement that you cant touch a wide receiver after 5 yards and you need a shutdown Corner, we had the combination of Manning to Harrison for years and that wasn't what won us our Super Bowl and kept us in another one till the end, our defensive line and Corners stepped up

you can find tall fast wide receivers with good hands throughout the draft, shut down Corners are rare but as to your question about 'where are these shutdown Corners Super Bowl rings at, ever heard of Ty Law, he won a couple and a large part of that was because he had 11 career interceptions including three in the 2003 AFC Championship team, combine that with the rule enforcement that you cant touch a wide receiver after 5 yards and you need a shutdown Corner, we had the combination of Manning to Harrison for years and that wasn't what won us our Super Bowl and kept us in another one till the end, our defensive line and Corners stepped up

Yes you can get fast/tall WR with good hands. But not everything can be taught. Woods is incredible, better than any WR in the 2012 draft in my opinion. The stats don't lie.

Yup heard of Ty Law. I'm sure those rings had nothing to do with the Patriots offense.... Who else in the past decade? The way you talk about it, Revis should have plenty of rings. But he doesn't, because the Jets don't have an offense and Revis is only one man taking away one receiver as an option.

I could rattle off the notable QB/WR combos that have won superbowls, but if this is going to be your usual defense for having a CB, I'll save my time and just say "agree to disagree".

Yes you can get fast/tall WR with good hands. But not everything can be taught. Woods is incredible, better than any WR in the 2012 draft in my opinion. The stats don't lie.

Yup heard of Ty Law. I'm sure those rings had nothing to do with the Patriots offense.... Who else in the past decade? The way you talk about it, Revis should have plenty of rings. But he doesn't, because the Jets don't have an offense and Revis is only one man taking away one receiver as an option.

I could rattle off the notable QB/WR combos that have won superbowls, but if this is going to be your usual defense for having a CB, I'll save my time and just say "agree to disagree".

Jets have an offense they just dont have a consistent quarterback, they have one of the best offensive lines in the league and good but not great wide receivers, also Revis is taking away one receiver yes but suppose that one receiver is Andre Johnson ( for example). take your best offensive weapon away and what do you got?

Jets have an offense they just dont have a consistent quarterback, they have one of the best offensive lines in the league and good but not great wide receivers

The Jets have a horrible offense. Their line is great, but their best weapon is Dustin Keller who is an average TE at best. Having an O-line is great, but pretty useless if the rest of your skill players are garbage.

also Revis is taking away one receiver yes but suppose that one receiver is Andre Johnson ( for example). take your best offensive weapon away and what do you got?

You would simply use a fundamental of football coaching called : Game Planning

If Revis is covering Andre Johnson, then have him run a deep route and screen pass to Foster or check down to Daniels like the Texans ALWAYS do.

The Texans actually have other offensive weapons than just the one as do most teams. The Colts don't have that. Not Revis nor any other CB can single handedly stop an offense that has great talent at WR. It's a pretty simple concept, get Revis downfield, throw a slant route for 5 yards. Play action, run the ball for 5 yards. As long as you keep the CB threat out of the picture, you are getting 1st downs and killing the clock, usually leading to a victory.

Tim Tebow exploited how useless shut-down corners can be when the QB doesn't rely on passing the ball. Revis made 3 tackles that day. Or look at how the Eagles crushed the Jets by 26 points last year. Maclin still got 57 yards, Celek raked in 156 yards. McCoy had 102 yards and 3 touchdowns. CB's can be worked around. A dangerous offense is harder to plan for.

A great offense will put points on the board. We need to build that. Our defense won't get instantly better having a shut down CB. The 3-4 rests on your NT and your OLBs.

The Jets have a horrible offense. Their line is great, but their best weapon is Dustin Keller who is an average TE at best. Having an O-line is great, but pretty useless if the rest of your skill players are garbage.

You would simply use a fundamental of football coaching called : Gameplanning

If Revis is covering Andre Johnson, then have him run a deep route and screen pass to Foster or check down to Daniels like the Texans ALWAYS do.

The Texans actually have other offensive weapons than just the one as do most teams. The Colts don't have that. Not Revis nor any other CB can single handedly stop an offense that has great talent at WR. It's a pretty simple concept, get Revis downfield, throw a slant route for 5 yards. Play action, run the ball for 5 yards. As long as you keep the CB threat out of the picture, you are getting 1st downs and killing the clock, usually leading to a victory.

Tim Tebow exploited how useless shut-down corners can be when the QB doesn't rely on passing the ball. Revis made 3 tackles that day. Or look at how the Eagles crushed the Jets by 26 points last year. Maclin still got 57 yards, Celek raked in 156 yards. McCoy had 102 yards and 3 touchdowns. CB's can be worked around. A dangerous offense is harder to plan for.

I dont think Santonio Holmes is Garbage, your also talking about one game, this is a passing league now, also if Tebow could throw better he would have thrown more, I agree shutdown Corners can be worked around but your basically in alot of instances eliminating instant offense an instant deep threat, Revis is one of the least thrown on Corners in the league, 57 yards is not much of all, Im actually watching the game now on NFL Rewind to see just how many time Revis was matched up on Maclin, so far not once but I just started the game, an early play that went for 38 yards to Celek that sailed over Bart Scotts head as he was trying to deflect it

I dont think Santonio Holmes is Garbage, your also talking about one game, this is a passing league now, also if Tebow could throw better he would have thrown more, I agree shutdown Corners can be worked around but your basically in alot of instances eliminating instant offense an instant deep threat, Revis is one of the least thrown on Corners in the league, 57 yards is not much of all, Im actually watching the game now on NFL Rewind to see just how many time Revis was matched up on Maclin, so far not once but I just started the game, an early play that went for 38 yards to Celek that sailed over Bart Scotts head as he was trying to deflect it

I'm tapping out on this subject. I can give examples all day but you aren't moved by evidence...we've been having the same debate for the past couple of months. Agree to disagree.

Xavier Rhodes is the better prospect. He will be ranked ahead of Amerson come draft time, he goes against better talented teams week in and week out. He truly is a lockdown corner. Amerson isn't the next Derelle Revis at all, when you watch the tape on him, he doesn't excel in man coverage. He does very well in zone and has good instincts and his size helps him to get picks when using that instinct.

Xavier faces better competition week in and week out? They're in the same conference!

Xavier faces better competition week in and week out? They're in the same conference!

Yea they play the same teams but I think he was talking about the non coference games because Florida State played Oklahoma while they were ranked #1 and Florida, while NC State played Cincinatti and central Michigan. But for the majority of the schedule is the same

Yea they play the same teams but I think he was talking about the non coference games because Florida State played Oklahoma while they were ranked #1 and Florida, while NC State played Cincinatti and central Michigan. But for the majority of the schedule is the same

FSU also played Louisiana-Monroe and Charleston Southern. Florida was no better than Tennessee last year, and Tennessee has a QB. To say that Xavier played tougher teams week in and week out is simply incorrect.

FSU also played Louisiana-Monroe and Charleston Southern. Florida was no better than Tennessee last year, and Tennessee has a QB. To say that Xavier played tougher teams week in and week out is simply incorrect.

Hey I didn't say that somebody else did I just said he probably based it off the non conference schedules nc state also played Liberty and South Alabama as well as Cincinatti an central michigan. other than that they are in the same conference and the same division(ACC North I believe) so of course it's the same schedule for the majority of the schedule

Hey I didn't say that somebody else did I just said he probably based it off the non conference schedules nc state also played Liberty and South Alabama as well as Cincinatti an central michigan. other than that they are in the same conference and the same division(ACC North I believe) so of course it's the same schedule for the majority of the schedule

"he goes against better talented teams week in and week out"

FSU played one more tough opponent than NC State. I know it wasn't that said it, but one additional game against a top team doesn't equate to "week in and week out." That's all.

Someone else mentioned that the CB talent pool was quite deep, in next years draft. So it's not unlikely that we could snap up a very solid CB prospect in the second round. Amerson is, as I've mentioned earlier, an elite prospect, but so is Woods.

Austin Collie will be a free agent next year and Reggie isn't getting any younger or faster.. The thought of getting Woods and Luck on the same team does seem quite appealing..

However lot's of thins could happen before the 2013 draft, and who knows where in the first round we'll be picking.

Someone else mentioned that the CB talent pool was quite deep, in next years draft. So it's not unlikely that we could snap up a very solid CB prospect in the second round. Amerson is, as I've mentioned earlier, an elite prospect, but so is Woods.

Austin Collie will be a free agent next year and Reggie isn't getting any younger or faster.. The thought of getting Woods and Luck on the same team does seem quite appealing..

However lot's of thins could happen before the 2013 draft, and who knows where in the first round we'll be picking.

Would you rather have Woods or Keenan Allen. Allen is more of a big Megatron type player, whereas Woods is a faster, precise route running WR, ala Marvin Harrison. I would be fine with either and can't really decide who I would rather have.

Would you rather have Woods or Keenan Allen. Allen is more of a big Megatron type player, whereas Woods is a faster, precise route running WR, ala Marvin Harrison. I would be fine with either and can't really decide who I would rather have.

That's why we tell Allen to fail this season so we pick him in the second

I would say Allen is more like Vincent Jackson. Megatron isn't just tall, he's one of the fastest players in the league. Woods-Harrison is a good comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Im taking Amerson over Woods all day long, wide receivers with good and and tons of speed an be found throughout the draft, Corners that are 6'3 great in Man coverage and has great instincts with speed rarely can be

Call me late or slow, but I didnt find out who this Amerson guy was until today. I recorded the Belk Bowl from this year (NC State vs Louisville) and with like 6:38 left in the 3rd QTR, the Lou QB threw a pass and a CB jumped outta nowhere (Amerson) and took a pick 6. then the commentators said David Amerson with his 12th INT of the year!! My reaction --> 0_0