Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts were targeting CB Casey Hayward in 3rd round

HtownColt

Yep, him in round 3 and Asa Jackson in round 5 were their targets they missed on. They probably wish they moved up to get him instead of T.Y.Hilton.

Other speedsters like Jarius Wright and Joe Adams were there in round 4 without moving up spots that had played in the SEC and were good KR/PR too even if T.Y.Hilton was not there. Just throwing out possibilities.

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. We just have to devote an offseason to defense and another draft to defense and we will be much better in 2013, IMO.

It is weird that in a mock draft that I participated with Peytonator, BMoreColt, CCH, FluxCivilian and 3 others a month ago, I picked Casey Hayward for the Pats at the end of round 2 and other GMs were cussing me out. :)

Yep, him in round 3 and Asa Jackson in round 5 were their targets they missed on. They probably wish they moved up to get him instead of T.Y.Hilton.

Other speedsters like Jarius Wright and Joe Adams were there in round 4 without moving up spots that had played in the SEC and were good KR/PR too even if T.Y.Hilton was not there. Just throwing out possibilities.

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. We just have to devote an offseason to defense and another draft to defense and we will be much better in 2013, IMO.

They wanted Heyward at the top of the 3rd but he went bottom of the 2nd round..Heyward wasnt going to make it to the bottom of the 3rd where we took Hilton

They wanted Heyward at the top of the 3rd but he went bottom of the 2nd round..Heyward wasnt going to make it to the bottom of the 3rd where we took Hilton

No, that is not the point I was making. Instead of moving up for Hilton at the bottom of round 3, they could have moved up for Hayward in the bottom of round 2, and stood pat for round 4 without moving up for Hilton and taking Joe Adams or Jarius Wright, who are speedsters that fit Arians' offense as well. Remember, Polian moved up in round 2 to get Moala with a 2nd and 5th, then did the same for Ijalana moving up 5 or 6 spots again for a 2nd and 5th.

That was the kind of move I was suggesting. :)

It may be a post-hoc justification, but I kinda like it this way.

Not only do you get Andrew Luck going THIS YEAR 1) with players he's going to need to build chemistry with, 2) with talented players that will allow him to learn the offense more quickly and more completely, and 3) with more success than he would have with no/fewer weapons, you also get a chance to see how your existing veterans do in a defense that's a complete shift from where it was last year. Certain players you may have thought were insufficient right now may pan out to be great for this system and players you thought would be good in the new defense may turn out to be insufficient.

By the time the draft gets here next year, everyone will have a much better idea of where we are at personnel wise on defense and so you're not using a pick on a player to replace someone that turned out to be good in the defense.

No, that is not the point I was making. Instead of moving up for Hilton at the bottom of round 3, they could have moved up for Hayward in the bottom of round 2, and stood pat for round 4 without moving up for Hilton and taking Joe Adams or Jarius Wright, who are speedsters that fit Arians' offense as well. Remember, Polian moved up in round 2 to get Moala with a 2nd and 5th, then did the same for Ijalana moving up 5 or 6 spots again for a 2nd and 5th.

That was the kind of move I was suggesting. :)

that wouldve took a higher draft pick that i doubt they were will to give up..idk im not in there heads only can speculate

I'm glad they didn't move up. Moving up means giving away future draft picks and I doubt they would have been able to move without giving up a 3rd or 5th rounder in next years. We already lost our 4th round pick in next yrs

lost our 5th next year not 4th

I'm glad they didn't move up. Moving up means giving away future draft picks and I doubt they would have been able to move without giving up a 3rd or 5th rounder in next years. We already lost our 4th round pick in next yrs

We lost our 5th rounder next year, right??? Or was it our 4th rounder???

We would have given up a 5th this year (No.97 and No.170) where we got Josh Chapman if we moved up for Casey Hayward.

So, it would look like Luck, Fleener, Hayward, Joe Adams/Jarius Wright after 5 rounds with 5 more picks to go. I would have been happy with that.

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20 but Polian knew he had a bunch of teams needing DT that would go after Moala, and a bunch of teams needing OL that would go after Ijalana, hence he moved up. I agree it is hard to anticipate even for the best. On the contrary, Polian did come up a few picks short on MJD in round 2 :(, we all remember that :), the same draft we got Addai.

Now Addai is unsigned, and MJD wears No.32 because 32 teams passed on him in round 1 and plays with a chip on his shoulder. :)

being that its a passing league now i will take my chances with an offense that can compete and just have a optimistic defense right now..we couldve went defense heavy but it wouldnt have got us that far with the skill players we had before this draft we wouldnt have been able to keep up points wise..least we have a punchers chance in games now with a better offense

We would have given up a 5th this year (No.97 and No.170) where we got Josh Chapman if we moved up for Casey Hayward.

So, it would look like Luck, Fleener, Hayward, Joe Adams/Jarius Wright after 5 rounds with 5 more picks to go. I would have been happy with that.

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20 but Polian knew he had a bunch of teams needing DT that would go after Moala, and a bunch of teams needing OL that would go after Ijalana, hence he moved up. I agree it is hard to anticipate even for the best. On the contrary, Polian did come up a few picks short on MJD in round 2 :(, we all remember that :), the same draft we got Addai.

5th round next year thats all

Now Addai is unsigned, and MJD wears No.32 because 32 teams passed on him in round 1 and plays with a chip on his shoulder. :)

Addai was a 1st rounder tho we just passed on MJD smh

Addai was a 1st rounder tho we just passed on MJD smh

and picked Donald Brown over McCoy, when McCoy, imo was the better prospect. He was more proven. I also thought that bruising back from Pittsburgh was worth a 2nd round pick... what was his name? Shonn Greene. The Colts have made some bad errors, but they've also made some great ones, so I can't complain much.

and picked Donald Brown over McCoy, when McCoy, imo was the better prospect. He was more proven. I also thought that bruising back from Pittsburgh was worth a 2nd round pick... what was his name? Shonn Greene. The Colts have made some bad errors, but they've also made some great ones, so I can't complain much.

Donald brown led college in rushing well over 2,000yrds that season so i can see why they went with Brown and he was a 1st round projection

Donald brown led college in rushing well over 2,000yrds that season so i can see why they went with Brown and he was a 1st round projection

Yes, but his opponents were weak and that was his only good season. I just saw McCoy as the more well rounded proven back playing in a pro-like system against tougher (than Brown) opponents.

McCoy also rushed for 2000+ yard seasons in his sophomore and junior year while amassing a total of 59 touchdowns during both those years.

Yes, but his opponents were weak and that was his only good season. I just saw McCoy as the more well rounded proven back playing in a pro-like system against tougher (than Brown) opponents.

Mccoy played in the same conference(Big East) as Brown.

McCoy also rushed for 2000+ yard seasons in his sophomore and junior year while amassing a total of 59 touchdowns during both those years.

look at Brown's carries his first two years(160carries for 900yrds, 171carries 821yards..his junior year he doubled in carries(367) and had over 2,000 yards

whoa whoa whoa No sir he didnt he only played two years of college first off and his numbers were(276carries for 1328yrds, and 284carries for 1403yrds) no doubt McCoy is the better pro but it is justified why polian went with Donald Brown

Mccoy played in the same conference(Big East) as Brown.

look at Brown's carries his first two years(160carries for 900yrds, 171carries 821yards..his junior year he doubled in carries(367) and had over 2,000 yards

I made a mistake McCoy didn't have over 2000 yards in college, that was high school. Either way, he still had a more consistent college career than Brown.

So? Who cares if they played in the same conference, they had much different schedules in 2007 and 2008. In 2008, Brown and the Huskies faced 2 seeded teams whereas McCoy and the Panthers faced 7 seeded teams. They had the tougher schedule.

His ypc average went up by nearly 1 from his sophomore season to his junior year. What's your point? He had a phenomenal junior year. McCoy averaged 5 ypc in his freshman and sophomore year.

Brown had the more run heavy team and the easier teams therefore making his stats a little better. McCoy was more well rounded and had much more upside.

You thought Brown is better... I thought McCoy was better. McCoy ended up being the better pro player.

I made a mistake McCoy didn't have over 2000 yards in college, that was high school. Either way, he still had a more consistent college career than Brown.

So? Who cares if they played in the same conference, they had much different schedules in 2007 and 2008. In 2008, Brown and the Huskies faced 2 seeded teams whereas McCoy and the Panthers faced 7 seeded teams. They had the tougher schedule.

His ypc average went up by nearly 1 from his sophomore season to his junior year. What's your point? He had a phenomenal junior year. McCoy averaged 5 ypc in his freshman and sophomore year.

Brown had the more run heavy team and the easier teams therefore making his stats a little better. McCoy was more well rounded and had much more upside.

You thought Brown is better... I thought McCoy was better. McCoy ended up being the better pro player.

I said its justified why Polian went with Brown( brown average 4.8, 4.9,5.6ypc as well) they played the same teams minus 2-3 non conference games..fact is Brown aint playing up to his pick and McCoy is head over heels outplaying his pick

I said its justified why Polian went with Brown( brown average 4.8, 4.9,5.6ypc as well) they played the same teams minus 2-3 non conference games..fact is Brown aint playing up to his pick and McCoy is head over heels outplaying his pick

Like I said, I thought McCoy was better coming out of college with many others thinking Brown was better. I can see how Bill chose Donald, but again McCoy was better imo.

according to Mike Chappell Colts had their eyes set on vanderbilt's CB Casey Heyward in round 3 but 2 picks before us Green Bay picked him up so they had to go with their 2nd option in Dwayne Allen

http://www.indystar....ts-slipped-away

Chappell appeared to simply be pointing out the CB that was drafted a "couple of spots" before a Colts pick. He doesn't have any means of knowing for a fact that this is the guy they were talking about. Grigson/Pagano also referred to having "put themselves in a position" to draft the guy which suggests that they might have been talking about when they traded up. Who knows. The key thing is that they were trying to tell us "we're not oblivious to the fact that they team needs CBs, it just didn't work out this time".

according to Mike Chappell Colts had their eyes set on vanderbilt's CB Casey Heyward in round 3 but 2 picks before us Green Bay picked him up so they had to go with their 2nd option in Dwayne Allen

http://www.indystar....ts-slipped-away

I think the coaches should keep that information under wraps. That is really not good information for Allen to hear in the media. Just begs of , "ok, well we wanted someone else and had to settle for you" ???? !!!!!! Shame on Grigson and Pagano for implying a missed pick and settling for D-Wayne Allen. Again, just a minor thing but something that could get in his craw and tick him off for EVER.

I think the coaches should keep that information under wraps. That is really not good information for Allen to hear in the media. Just begs of , "ok, well we wanted someone else and had to settle for you" ???? !!!!!! Shame on Grigson and Pagano for implying a missed pick and settling for D-Wayne Allen. Again, just a minor thing but something that could get in his craw and tick him off for EVER.

Meh...I don't see it that way. Allen was the second straight TE we chose, out of dozens of other players we could've taken. I don't see this as a slight to Allen. I would actually think Allen had to be quite flattered by his selection. We could've taken Orson Charles over Allen, whom went to Cinn in the fourth.

I appreciate the effort on Grigs behalf to inform us, the fans, as to why they didn't choose a CB in the draft.

Meh...I don't see it that way. Allen was the second straight TE we chose, out of dozens of other players we could've taken. I don't see this as a slight to Allen. I would actually think Allen had to be quite flattered by his selection. We could've taken Orson Charles over Allen, whom went to Cinn in the fourth.

I appreciate the effort on Grigs behalf to inform us, the fans, as to why they didn't choose a CB in the draft.

perhaps your feelings are the same shared by many, I don't think they ever mentioned it themselves, i think it was Mike Chappel who did the surmising.

perhaps your feelings are the same shared by many, I don't think they ever mentioned it themselves, i think it was Mike Chappel who did the surmising.

Ahhh, I understand. Though you said "Shame on Grigson and Pagano for implying a missed pick and settling for D-Wayne Allen" and I don't feel the implication was made that Allen was "settled for".

Ahhh, I understand. Though you said "Shame on Grigson and Pagano for implying a missed pick and settling for D-Wayne Allen" and I don't feel the implication was made that Allen was "settled for".

i can't find anywhere were pagano or grigson said it.... i figured that Chappell must have gone up to the podium after the press conference and pulled that info right from them.

It may be a post-hoc justification, but I kinda like it this way.

Not only do you get Andrew Luck going THIS YEAR 1) with players he's going to need to build chemistry with, 2) with talented players that will allow him to learn the offense more quickly and more completely, and 3) with more success than he would have with no/fewer weapons, you also get a chance to see how your existing veterans do in a defense that's a complete shift from where it was last year. Certain players you may have thought were insufficient right now may pan out to be great for this system and players you thought would be good in the new defense may turn out to be insufficient.

By the time the draft gets here next year, everyone will have a much better idea of where we are at personnel wise on defense and so you're not using a pick on a player to replace someone that turned out to be good in the defense.

Bravo! Great Post!!!!!!

I was big on casey heyward from the second i watched tape of him. I even argured with a guy over 30 minutes about him not bieng a 4/5th rounder.

Not a lot of people came to watch him at Vanderbilt so I thought easily if we wanted him he would just barely fall tot he third for us...but the Packers >>>ed it up.

But I don't know why they didn't just pick Flemming, who I think was neck and neck With Heyward in talent.