Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Literally thank you grigson

Playoffs2013

Chris has been helping before 2009. Then he fully took over the GM job in '09.

Ugoh was not suppose to start. Midway through camp Tarik said he lost the passion for the game and retired. The Ugoh trade was Chris.

I've never seen Pitcock being known for depression. So if you could show something before the draft he was then please do.

You can't say we didn't have talent because half our team was injured. It happens in the NFL, but that doesn't mean players are not talented.

If I remember correctly 2011 was the draft Bill took back over, and it was a good draft.

Everything i read is Chris took over in 2011. Ugoh was a 2nd round pick he should expect playing time. He was not a "project" player by any means. Regardless he is a total bust and i don't know if he is on any roster right now or getting any playing time.

Everything i read is Chris took over in 2011. Ugoh was a 2nd round pick he should expect playing time. He was not a "project" player by any means. Regardless he is a total bust and i don't know if he is on any roster right now or getting any playing time.

He is on the Giants' roster as a backup tackle and has a SB ring now. You asked, I gave you the answer!!! :)

We plan to post more bytes from this interview, but from this section I took this: According to Bill Polian, whoever was doing 'personnel' decisions the last few years was not Bill Polian. Thus, he is now giving all the boring, tedious, time-consuming garbage tasks to his son, Chris, allowing Bill more time to focus more on personnel.
It's long been rumored that the last few drafts were run by Chris Polian, including the now-infamous Tony Ugoh trade of 2007.

http://www.stampedeb...o-his-son-chris

Ugoh was not supposed to start year 1. Tarik still had 1 year left on his contract and he was expected to play one more year and then retire. Ugoh was drafted to develop behind Tarik during that year and then take over as the starter the following year after Tarik's retirement. However, Tarik blew those plans up by retiring during that same offseason and therefore Ugoh was forced into the starting lineup a year earlier than he was expected to.

I don't recall reading anything prior to the draft about Pitcock having "known depression". I would find it very hard to believe that he would still have been drafted by Polian if there were any signs at all pointing to possible depression or video game addiction.

Bill lavished oodles of new contract dollars on Sanders, who the world knew was made of glass. Please stop making Bill out to be some kind of Super Hero GM.

Bill lavished oodles of new contract dollars on Sanders, who the world knew was made of glass. Please stop making Bill out to be some kind of Super Hero GM.

Bob got the contract after his DPOY award. First Colt ever to win, and also seeing he was a big contributor to our defense turning around in the '06 playoffs.

When have I ever made Bill out to be some kind of Super Hero GM? I would never try to claim that because I don't believe it. I thought he did a very good job in some respects but a very poor job in others. I do think he made several very poor draft picks but I don't include Ugoh in that group. In regards to Ugoh, I think he made the best possible decision based on the information he had at the time. That's all we can really ask for. There's no way to predict injuries, players suddenly developing depression and/or video game addiction and other things like that.

I only replied with my opinions on those two players, Pitcock and Ugoh, because they were the ones mentioned earlier in the thread that I disagreed with. Now if we want to talk about the picks of Gonzalez, Donald Brown, or Jerry Hughes...or the inflated contracts he gave to Sanders, Dallas Clark, Freeney, Addai, Bracket etc then I'm right there with you.

So perhaps you should learn more about what a person's opinions truly are before you ask them to stop doing something. ;)

When have I ever made Bill out to be some kind of Super Hero GM? I would never try to claim that because I don't believe it. I thought he did a very good job in some respects but a very poor job in others. I do think he made several very poor draft picks but I don't include Ugoh in that group. In regards to Ugoh, I think he made the best possible decision based on the information he had at the time. That's all we can really ask for. There's no way to predict injuries, players suddenly developing depression and/or video game addiction and other things like that.

I only replied with my opinions on those two players, Pitcock and Ugoh, because they were the ones mentioned earlier in the thread that I disagreed with. Now if we want to talk about the picks of Gonzalez, Donald Brown, or Jerry Hughes...or the inflated contracts he gave to Sanders, Dallas Clark, Freeney, Addai, Bracket etc then I'm right there with you.

So perhaps you should learn more about what a person's opinions truly are before you ask them to stop doing something. ;)

Ok. Ugoh was a '#1' pick. He should have been ready to start irrespective of Tarik's sudden retirement. You should provide more rounded responses if you don't want people to interpret your comments incorrectly. If you don't want your comments to misunderstood that is. No sweat however, my Super Hero GM line was laced with poetic license just to emphasise my stance on Mr Media Man Polian.

Okay, I must address the pink elephant in the room. Yes, we are under a whole new coaching staff & GM regime in INDY moving beyond the Polian-Caldwell-Manning Era, but let's tap the brakes on the red carpet roll out for Ryan Grigson alright. The draft was a good one especially the hidden gem of NT Champman if he emerges from injury with a clean bill of health. Yes, Andrew Luck needed movable targets to throw to & those offensive voids were adequately filled IMO. Just remember, Grigson is being judged against his predecessor Bill Polian, a 6 time Executive of the Year.

Grigson may well surpass Polian in bankable draft picks & I admire his work ethic & dedication. But, success in this league is all about productivity & longevity & that comes with time. Hold off on the parade & accolades for a little while yet please. Thank you. Grigson hasn't proven anything yet.

Ok. Ugoh was a '#1' pick. He should have been ready to start irrespective of Tarik's sudden retirement. You should provide more rounded responses if you don't want people to interpret your comments incorrectly. If you don't want your comments to misunderstood that is. No sweat however, my Super Hero GM line was laced with poetic license just to emphasise my stance on Mr Media Man Polian.

Provide more rounded responses? So when I make a comment about what I thought about one decision that Polian made, I need to comment on how I felt about EVERY decision Polian made at the same time just to make sure you don't misunderstand? How about you just don't assume that I liked every decision Polian ever made because I commented about one specific decision? Huh? I think that sounds like a plan. ;)

Also, Ugoh was not a first round pick. He was picked in the 2nd round. Yes, Polian spent the following year's first round pick to move up to draft Ugoh, but if Ugoh were ready to start his rookie year then he very likely would have been off the board long before we actually selected him. In my opinion, if Polian had known that Tarik was going to retire that year then he would have passed on drafting Gonzales and instead made a trade in the first round to move up for Joe Staley. However, since he thought he would have Tarik for one full year, he could wait and get a guy who still needed a little polishing in the 2nd round in Ugoh, which allowed him to also get Gonzo in the first round.

So again, there were plenty of picks that Polian made that I disagreed with but the Ugoh pick wasn't one of them. Even though, in hindsight, it wound up not working out, he still made the best decision with the information that he had at the time.

Provide more rounded responses? So when I make a comment about what I thought about one decision that Polian made, I need to comment on how I felt about EVERY decision Polian made at the same time just to make sure you don't misunderstand? How about you just don't assume that I liked every decision Polian ever made because I commented about one specific decision? Huh? I think that sounds like a plan. ;)

Also, Ugoh was not a first round pick. He was picked in the 2nd round. Yes, Polian spent the following year's first round pick to move up to draft Ugoh, but if Ugoh were ready to start his rookie year then he very likely would have been off the board long before we actually selected him. In my opinion, if Polian had known that Tarik was going to retire that year then he would have passed on drafting Gonzales and instead made a trade in the first round to move up for Joe Staley. However, since he thought he would have Tarik for one full year, he could wait and get a guy who still needed a little polishing in the 2nd round in Ugoh, which allowed him to also get Gonzo in the first round.

So again, there were plenty of picks that Polian made that I disagreed with but the Ugoh pick wasn't one of them. Even though, in hindsight, it wound up not working out, he still made the best decision with the information that he had at the time.

I put #1 pick in quotes. I'm fully aware where Ugoh was taken. You can't really use 'unforeseen circumstances' to protect poor draft picks. We all judge on the end result. I can only comment on what is posted. In isolation, your post looked like Polian could do no wrong. You followed that up with a much more balanced view, which is absolutely fine, and is why we have the reply button. It's all fine.

I put #1 pick in quotes. I'm fully aware where Ugoh was taken.

I can only comment on what is posted. ;)

]You can't really use 'unforeseen circumstances' to protect poor draft picks. We all judge on the end result.

Then we're judging by different criteria. I don't expect our GM to be able to see into the future and know for a fact when a certain player is going to retire (Tarik Glenn), when a certain player is going to develop recurring injuries (Gonzo), when a player is going to develop depression and/or video game addiction when there were no signs prior (Pitcock) etc etc. I DO expect our GM to research the player's game film and injury history and interview each player as much as possible to get the best possible idea of that player's intelligence, mental acuity, mental health, attitude etc etc.

All you can expect of a person is to make the best decision with the information they have at the time. Polian had a plan for Ugoh but it didn't work out because Glenn retired earlier than expected. Ugoh was a bust of a pick, I'm not disputing that. However, just because a player turned out to be a bust does not mean, imo, that the person who selected that player was necessarily wrong for doing so.

I can only comment on what is posted. In isolation, your post looked like Polian could do no wrong. You followed that up with a much more balanced view, which is absolutely fine, and is why we have the reply button. It's all fine.

I totally understand you can only comment on what is posted. However you didn't just reply to what I said, you assumed much more on top of what I said and that's all I was trying to point out. You could also simply ask the person for further clarification on their post before jumping to a conclusion and incorrectly telling them to stop doing something that they're not doing. Just sayin....;)

that punter is actually pretty good and will change field position for the jags. if we punted the ball inside the 10 everytime our defense would be much better.

First time in 17 years a punter was taken in the third round or higher (Todd Sauerbrun 1995). The pick was an atrocious misstep under any circumstances, no matter how good he is. Just flat-out foolish.

Okay, I must address the pink elephant in the room. Yes, we are under a whole new coaching staff & GM regime in INDY moving beyond the Polian-Caldwell-Manning Era, but let's tap the brakes on the red carpet roll out for Ryan Grigson alright. The draft was a good one especially the hidden gem of NT Champman if he emerges from injury with a clean bill of health. Yes, Andrew Luck needed movable targets to throw to & those offensive voids were adequately filled IMO. Just remember, Grigson is being judged against his predecessor Bill Polian, a 6 time Executive of the Year.

Grigson may well surpass Polian in bankable draft picks & I admire his work ethic & dedication. But, success in this league is all about productivity & longevity & that comes with time. Hold off on the parade & accolades for a little while yet please. Thank you. Grigson hasn't proven anything yet.

Your right my freind only time will tell the full story,but I like what i see so for,lets just call it a step in the right direction

First time in 17 years a punter was taken in the third round or higher (Todd Sauerbrun 1995). The pick was an atrocious misstep under any circumstances, no matter how good he is. Just flat-out foolish.

What if he's a punter by day but a crime fighter by night? Taking out criminals from miles away with his all-powerful and super-accurate kicking superabilities? His name is Bryan Anger after all. Not exactly the worst super-hero alter-ego name. Not perfect by any means, something like Allen Anger would probably be better. This could make for some interesting night games and news broadcasts. :D

"Breaking news....information still coming in but right now we know that the "Angry Foot" has struck again, foiling yet another robbery attempt. Once again, the only evidence at the scene was a projectile object that appears strikingly similar to a football. This has become widely known as the calling card of the Angry Foot. Crime has been drastically reduced in the city of Jacksonville since the Angry Foot took to action. The identity of the Angry Foot is still unknown, but the city of Jacksonville has been sleeping a little easier since A.F. first came on the scene in late April/early May of 2012.

And in sports today, Jaguars punter Bryan Anger sent yet another ball sailing out of the stadium in last nights game. Officials are having a harder and harder time determining where to spot the ball on these seemingly random punts that fly out of the stadium. Our local reporter interviewed Anger about these kicks and the punter simply smiled and said, "I'm not sure why it happens. It's just...well adrenaline kicks in and I just kind of get lost in the moment and just put all my strength into it and...well the ball just gets away from me." The reporter also took this opportunity to ask Anger about the "A.F." tattoo that he recently got on his bicep. He squirmed for a moment, then smiled sheepishly and said, "I'm just a really big fan of April Fool's day!"

What if he's a punter by day but a crime fighter by night?

lol....then Anger should apprehend the Jags GM for criminal misuse of a third round pick. The decision to draft Anger in the third seemed like a tip 'o' the hat to defeatism. How about.....................instead of drafting a punter so early, they use that 3rd round pick on an offensive player so that maybe they don't need to punt as often? I'm no NFL general manager, but that makes sense to me.

lol....then Anger should apprehend the Jags GM for criminal misuse of a third round pick. The decision to draft Anger in the third seemed like a tip 'o' the hat to defeatism. How about.....................instead of drafting a punter so early, they use that 3rd round pick on an offensive player so that maybe they don't need to punt as often? I'm no NFL general manager, but that makes sense to me.

LOL.....very true :D And I agree with you but you have to realize, some people don't use "sense" ..I won't say "common sense" because really, it's not all that common. :)

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - personal shot

Outstanding draft offensively, below average draft defensively!!! That is my opinion.

Because the cupboard was bare on offense. There were many more pieces in place on D, and didn't need as much. Luck needs weapons, and would be a gross mistake not to provide him with as many as possible. New england was 31st in total D and made the super bowl, and green bay was dead last. I rest my case.

If it was up to you, Luck would be throwing to a bunch 6th and 7th rounders/UFA's. NOT! I'll trust Grigson and Co. and not you, until proven otherwise. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - replying to personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - replying to personal shot

Because the cupboard was bare on offense. There were many more pieces in place on D, and didn't need as much. Luck needs weapons, and would be a gross mistake not to provide him with as many as possible. New england was 31st in total D and made the super bowl, and green bay was dead last. I rest my case.

If it was up to you, Luck would be throwing to a bunch 6th and 7th rounders/UFA's. NOT! I'll trust Grigson and Co. and not you, until proven otherwise. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Yep, if you think our O is going to be as good as the Pats and Packers and you want to be carried away by the yards allowed ranking of theirs last year, then I dont want an argument with you either!!!

I never suggested throwing to a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders. Go check my post history in this thread "http://forums.colts....-within-reason/" and get back to me if you wish.

I am not going to waste my time explaining myself to you, it is not worth it to me.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - replying to personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - replying to personal shot

The underlined portion was a huge assumption on your part. The entire bolded portion was rude, out of line, unnecessary and just all around uncalled for. Welcome to the forum though. :td:

I heard Pangano was high on Anger! He broke the table in two then the door feel of the hinges after he slammed it when he seen the Jags snagged him! haha

Guess the Hilton pick was a settle. rotflmao

Anger and Angerer on the same team...what might have been. :hissy::pcsmash: :cuss: :censored: :cuss: :bomb::ticked::argh::rant:

lol