Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay says Freeney won’t be traded

polk_high_allstar

He also said that he was going to keep Peyton until he retired. Things change. Nothing is written in stone. Who knows what will happen down the road. He is too expensive, but we know what we have in him. I would rather have the 14 million, but if Pagano sees something, I would rather Pagano run with his instincts. He seemed to know what he was doing in Baltimore.

I think Freeney is going to be a Colt next season probably at his 19 million price tag. I don't think they are going to cut him, I think the Colts coaches honestly like him and think they can use him. It would have been one thing to trade him when they could have gotten something back for him it's another to just cut him and not get anything for him other than a $5 million cap hit. I don't know if they will extend him either. I think that's the most likely thing to happen at his point if anything happens with Freeney but I think it's more likely the Colts will let Freeney play this year out and see how well he does in a 3-4. If the Colts think he'll work they'll franchise tag him and work out a deal then. If they don't like it they will just let him walk as a free agent at that part of a time.

I think Freeney is going to be a Colt next season probably at his 19 million price tag. I don't think they are going to cut him, I think the Colts coaches honestly like him and think they can use him. It would have been one thing to trade him when they could have gotten something back for him it's another to just cut him and not get anything for him other than a $5 million cap hit. I don't know if they will extend him either. I think that's the most likely thing to happen at his point if anything happens with Freeney but I think it's more likely the Colts will let Freeney play this year out and see how well he does in a 3-4. If the Colts think he'll work they'll franchise tag him and work out a deal then. If they don't like it they will just let him walk as a free agent at that part of a time.

Exactly, cutting him for an extra 5 million within the cap makes no sense. Let him play out the season. If he turns out to be effective in this system ( which is not at all out of the question) then sighn him next year to an amount that is apropriate. If not, let him walk and maybe get a good comp pick out of it.

Exactly, cutting him for an extra 5 million within the cap makes no sense. Let him play out the season. If he turns out to be effective in this system ( which is not at all out of the question) then sighn him next year to an amount that is apropriate. If not, let him walk and maybe get a good comp pick out of it.

We save 14 million if we cut Freeney. That makes all the sense in the world.

Oops read the wrong figure. Yes 14 mil. is a lot different. However, who are we going to spend that 14M on at this point. ( not a retorical question I'm just not familiar with the free agents that are left.

It still might not be worth it.

Oops read the wrong figure. Yes 14 mil. is a lot different. However, who are we going to spend that 14M on at this point. ( not a retorical question I'm just not familiar with the free agents that are left.

It still might not be worth it.

Might not be worth it at this point, they should have cut him loose 2 months ago, however, there are still always good players cut in June and after training camp.

What are you going to spend it on right now? The big name free agents are gone. It would be nice to have 14 million if there was something worth the Colts spending it on right now I am not sure there is much out there that is going to be better than what Freeney can give them.

That $14 million can be used on UDFA or used on the waiver wire. Additionally, as we have seen for the past thre or four years, we need money to get players when our players start getting injured.

None of it is free!

You aren't going to spend up to 14 million on UDFA and the waiver wire. In addition to that odds are the players we get in those areas aren't going to do more to help the team than Freeney will. Listen to the coaches talk about Freeney they LIKE him. They don't seem to be trying to move him. I think it's something they would have conisdered if they right deal came along it doesn't seem like it did. That leads to me to think they are going to keep him huge contract and all.

The 14 million could be spent on players to help the team this year, or could be rolled over into next year.

either way it makes little sense to leave him on the roster at 19 million.

Who? What players are available that could make a difference for us in a way that is worth losing Freeney's rush?

The 14 million could be spent on players to help the team this year, or could be rolled over into next year.

His contract goes away at the end of this season anyway and it doesn't look like the Colts are going to be in need of a tone of cap space next year regardless of what we do with Freeney's contract so cutting him to save space for next year doesn't make a lot of sense.

My guess is right now the Colts don't think they are going to get more value for the $14 million they would get by cutting Freeney than Freeney is going to give him. Can that change with June 1st cuts? Sure. Right now though signs point to him coming back to the team next year with his big contract and all.

Thanks Firejim I agree with you 100% on this one. Like Freeney but don't think he's worth the 19 million at all. :hide:

Who? What players are available that could make a difference for us in a way that is worth losing Freeney's rush?

I'm talking in general terms and not with any specific person in mind, and Freeney's rush from the OLB is a bit questionable at this point. He's never really done it. If he's on par with his rush from his DE position it's still hard to fathom him being worth 19 million.

His contract goes away at the end of this season anyway and it doesn't look like the Colts are going to be in need of a tone of cap space next year regardless of what we do with Freeney's contract so cutting him to save space for next year doesn't make a lot of sense.

My guess is right now the Colts don't think they are going to get more value for the $14 million they would get by cutting Freeney than Freeney is going to give him. Can that change with June 1st cuts? Sure. Right now though signs point to him coming back to the team next year with his big contract and all.

If by next year you mean 2013, I don't see how signs point to that either way at this point. Obviously an extension would point to that but that hasn't really been discussed openly by Grigs/Irsay/Pagano.

Part of the value would be not paying actual cash. Part of it would be rolling the cap space into next year, which if they don't use it can be rolled into the next year.

Right now he's a 19 million dollar question mark.