Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

For those complaining about going for 2 instead of kicking the extra point, Steichen prob had to factor in that he has a backup kicker, so that prob played into the decision. He knows what he has in Shrader more than we all do. 

That’s a interesting point we learned nothing about Sharader yesterday crazy we never got to kick a FG. It was either punts or TDs.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Didn't think Joe Burrow would be there. Any HC would jump on the chance to replace Zac Taylor - both Texans' OC and Lions' OC would get to the front for that job. Zac Taylor has underachieved, IMO.

I REALLY think they should get Bobby from the Texans. Seems like a great fit 😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Early season typically means slow starts for the Bengals and I feel the Chiefs go 2-0.

No chance the Bengals win against KC. No chance. The Chase drama has killed the locker room. Taylor just isn't innovative enough. Burrow needs an Andy Reid type of head coach. 

I agree. The Chiefs have a super easy schedule this year. Only potential loss I'm seeing is maybe against the 49ers in a few weeks. They could seriously go undefeated this season and get the three peat. Who realistically can stop them? 

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

No chance the Bengals win against KC. No chance. The Chase drama has killed the locker room. Taylor just isn't innovative enough. Burrow needs an Andy Reid type of head coach. 

I agree. The Chiefs has a super easy schedule this year. Only potential loss I'm seeing is maybe against the 49ers in a few weeks. They could seriously go undefeated this season and get the three peat. Who realistically can stop them? 

The same old same old Jim Harbaugh in the division with his "run the ball, play good D, control tempo, keep Mahomes on the sidelines and timely passing" smashmouth philosophy in the division. He has a tendency to sneak up on you. :) 

Bills are always a tough matchup for the Chiefs. Sooner or later, a close playoff game will go in their favor, IMO. When the schedule was released, having Ravens, Bills, Texans, Bengals, 49ers, Steelers on their schedule wasn't supposed to be an easy one for the Chiefs, to be honest.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's an insane stat - last year no QB had more than one completion of 50 or more air yards for the whole season. Richardson had two in this game alone. 

If AR can continue to put those bombs on tape defenses will have to adapt and back off the LOS. Which at that point will allow even easier throws for AR and bigger lanes for JT to feast on.  

Anthony needs to work on his short passing game in a hurry. I feel things will be open under neath a bit more frequently soon. 

• Like 2

Just now, adubb84 said:

If AR can continue to put those bombs on tape defenses will have to adapt and back off the LOS. Which at that point will allow even easier throws for AR and bigger lanes for JT to feast on.  

Anthony needs to work on his short passing game in a hurry. I feel things will be open under neath a bit more frequently soon. 

...only if the OL shows they are capable of winning the line of scrimmage even if the safeties back off.

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

...only if the OL shows they are capable of winning the line of scrimmage even if the safeties back off.

Did you see how Will Fries literally just gave up on the 2 point fail? Just let the defender walk on by and stuff JT... 

SMDH... 

And when our starting QB was suplexed into the dirt, you'd think one of the lineman would've got at least a bit cross with the Texans? But no. 

I may be in the wrong here, but there feels like an attitude issue with the line, and it stems way back to 2021. There are times they look like they don't care at all. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You are mistaking the philosophy of "pass to build a lead, run to preserve it" to a "shootout philosophy". It is very much like Bruce Arian's philosophy but with less 6 or 7 step drops.

He did the same with Jalen Hurts too once he got A J Brown and DeVonta Smith

The nuts and bolts of what I'm saying is we definitely have the parts to shoot it out with people if we have to. The problem is our young QB is not quite ready for that at this point. I'm sure right now we are not going into games saying we are going to pass pass pass to win the game. This I agree with. We have the parts but we don't have the execution yet.

14 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

He misses Ogletree and Downs there

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me the huge plus and a win about Richardson's current state that noone seems to be talking about is that he actually knows how to play QB. We are not talking about him lacking poise and panicking under pressure... we are not talking about him missing open receivers(as in - not seeing them), we are not talking about dumb decisions, we are not talking about inability to read a defense... all we are talking about is accuracy and sailing the ball... Pretty much everything that's worth criticizing with Richardson right now, we are talking about the very final moments when he releases the ball. He's very far along in my opinion when it comes to playing the position. He just needs to clean up some things with overthrows and sailing the ball... putting some touch on it at times. You don't have to throw everything with 100 mph. And IMO he has a good coach to help him along. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a couple of years time. 

BTW that INT was NOT on Richardson either... Granson slipped and stumbled, the pass was very likely on point if he had just ran his crosser without a stutter... 

I disagree with the bolded.  He stumbled, yes.  Still might have been intercepted had he not.  It doesn't acknowledge the fact that it was still thrown in a place where it could be intercepted at all. Whether Granson bears some degree of responsibility is irrelevant to me because it was still, as AR admitted, "a little high".  It may help explain a bit better how the interception occurred, but you QB needs to throw it to places where only your guy cant catch it, not the other team. Then you layer on top of that, that the INT would have never been possible had he not overthrown Adonai on the wide open TD a few plays before.

The rest of your post though, is right though.  There are worse things that could be happening, like AR could be un-startable.  But he does need to smooth out and refine his accuracy if he wants to be a long term starter.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only complaint about the offense is steichens play calling has to be more balanced. The more balanced the more big pass plays and JT will have more room.

That is too cliched a statement, when the reality was we were getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. If that continues, no balanced game will succeed. There will always be ebbs and flows of any game. There is no cookie cutter formula for winning.

There are however formulae that will lose the game for you, like turnovers and getting a lopsided time of possession that decrease your odds of winning.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Going to be a roller coaster for sure. 

3 pass plays: 3/3 for 171 yds and 2 TDs

Other 16 pass plays: 6/16 for 41 yds and an INT

Several of those incompletions were 3rd down plays and were bad enough they weren't catchable.  I remember maybe a swing pass or quick out toward the sideline that he threw to his aunt in the stands.  

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I disagree with the bolded.  He stumbled, yes.  Still might have been intercepted had he not.  It doesn't acknowledge the fact that it was still thrown in a place where it could be intercepted at all. Whether Granson bears some degree of responsibility is irrelevant to me because it was still, as AR admitted, "a little high".  It may help explain a bit better how the interception occurred, but you QB needs to throw it to places where only your guy cant catch it, not the other team. Then you layer on top of that, that the INT would have never been possible had he not overthrown Adonai on the wide open TD a few plays before.

The rest of your post though, is right though.  There are worse things that could be happening, like AR could be un-startable.  But he does need to smooth out and refine his accuracy if he wants to be a long term starter.

The ceiling has to be matched with a better floor, is what we took from game 1 for AR. Plus him coming out on the healthy front.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The ceiling has to be matched with a better floor, is what we took from game 1 for AR. Plus him coming out on the healthy front.

Thank god he didn't exit early. LOL.  He exits in the 2nd qtr like last year and the game is a 2 or 3 score loss.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think yesterday was more of Steichen and the play calling not giving him easy short intermediate throws. I expect that to change. He was fine last year in the limited time

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is too cliched a statement, when the reality was we were getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. If that continues, no balanced game will succeed. There will always be ebbs and flows of any game. There is no cookie cutter formula for winning.

There are however formulae that will lose the game for you, like turnovers and getting a lopsided time of possession that decrease your odds of winning.

Maybe but if you’re being dominated the shorter quick throws should be there. Thats wheee he has to be better at giving him an outlet. We get downs back I suspect the intermediate game will be back. 

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Thank god he didn't exit early. LOL.  He exits in the 2nd qtr like last year and the game is a 2 or 3 score loss.

I think you forget we have a big arm backup qb that balled out last year. We don't know for sure what would happen in a game that AR goes out, but I'm pretty confident in Flacco as a backup. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We didn't even remotely see any ceiling yesterday. What we saw was a floor that is substantially higher than most young quarterbacks. That's my take on it anyways. His ceiling is a balanced game of running, pocket presence, getting off first reads and accurately delivering the ball to open receivers, and then the big plays we saw yesterday. It was just a taste.

As it has been for quite some time, I find myself very disappointed in a Monday following opening day.  

Our run Defense was atrocious.  Pass coverage was what I expected, bad.  Gus Bradley is who he is, a poor Defensive Coordinator.  Our ability to stop 3rd and forever is right in line with what a Bradley defense typically does, breaks.  

There were some good things but, a loss is a loss.  A when it’s against a division opponent, it’s like 2 losses.  

45 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Hopefully just in time for Downs to come in. But I agree. I started watching film back last night, haven't made it very far, but on the first possession 4th down, he missed JT coming out of the backfield, wide open. AD wasn't a bad read, as a well placed ball is likely a first down, but he sailed it dang near into the first row. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Maybe but if you’re being dominated the shorter quick throws should be there. Thats wheee he has to be better at giving him an outlet. We get downs back I suspect the intermediate game will be back. 

The reason it wasn’t there is what you touched on - Downs and Ogletree that AR went to last year. That had an impact on play calling too.

Plus, even experienced QBs look for layered passing, deeper to shorter, so it’s easier said than done to say he’s got to go underneath more when you’re constantly being moved off the spot. 

As noticed by the failure of the JT reverse and several plays last year, Ryan’s’ D has good East West speed, harder to beat them on the edges.

18 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one. Especially in the redzone and in the middle of the field you cannot guarantee a throw wouldn't be intercepted if your receiver doesn't do his job. Too many bodies there in a condensed field. The replay I saw on the broadcast seemed like a pretty routine throw that should get caught if the receiver doesn't stumble. Not sure if it was a little high, but the main culprit was Granson just not being where he needed to be when the ball arrived there. 

18 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

:thmup:

• Like 1

Just now, joecolts said:

As it has been for quite some time, I find myself very disappointed in a Monday following opening day.  

Our run Defense was atrocious.  Pass coverage was what I expected, bad.  Gus Bradley is who he is, a poor Defensive Coordinator.  Our ability to stop 3rd and forever is right in line with what a Bradley defense typically does, breaks.  

There were some good things but, a loss is a loss.  A when it’s against a division opponent, it’s like 2 losses.  

I don't think pass coverage was near as bad as you think it was. They made some incredible plays in tight coverage, and they were key 3rd down plays at that. Given that Blackmon and Cross were our best run defenders yesterday, I think our pass coverage played pretty well overall. Stroud is going to make plays through the air. That's a fact. We had a chance. He didn't throw all over us, not even close. He made big plays when they needed them, and they ran right through us in a 2 point win. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We didn't even remotely see any ceiling yesterday. What we saw was a floor that is substantially higher than most young quarterbacks. That's my take on it anyways. His ceiling is a balanced game of running, pocket presence, getting off first reads and accurately delivering the ball to open receivers, and then the big plays we saw yesterday. It was just a taste.

His ceiling was the bombs he could throw and the legs on the TD he could use, things that can happen but don’t need to happen all the time. 

His floor is the moving of chains consistently. That’s how I look at it. 

It’s like a job performance. The first few years, you get an A for doing what is expected. Then you get an A for doing more than expected.

The long bombs and the ability to throw isn’t the ceiling, it’s the ability to throw it accurately enough to hit his pass catchers is part of his ceiling. Lines will get blurred as years go on. So I don’t want to get hung up on semantics but you kind of get what I’m saying. :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The reason it wasn’t there is what you touched on - Downs and Ogletree that AR went to last year. That had an impact on play calling too.

Plus, even experienced QBs look for layered passing, deeper to shorter, so it’s easier said than done to say he’s got to go underneath more when you’re constantly being moved off the spot. 

As noticed by the failure of the JT reverse and several plays last year, Ryan’s’ D has good East West speed, harder to beat them on the edges.

Ogletree didn’t play? Mallory was the inactive.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Hopefully just in time for Downs to come in. But I agree. I started watching film back last night, haven't made it very far, but on the first possession 4th down, he missed JT coming out of the backfield, wide open. AD wasn't a bad read, as a well placed ball is likely a first down, but he sailed it dang near into the first row. 

Yeah I saw JT breaking open too. There’s going to be some internal conflict for a tiny bit. Throws he “should” do as their open vs throws he think he can make. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

His ceiling was the bombs he could throw and the legs on the TD he could use, things that can happen but don’t need to happen all the time. 

His floor is the moving of chains consistently. That’s how I look at it. 

It’s like a job performance. The first few years, you get an A for doing what is expected. Then you get an A for doing more than expected.

The long bombs and the ability to throw isn’t the ceiling, it’s the ability to throw it accurately enough to hit his pass catchers is part of his ceiling. Lines will get blurred as years go on. So I don’t want to get hung up on semantics but you kind of get what I’m saying. :) 

Exactly, anyone can throw a bomb pass but to accurately hit them in there hands in stride is where its at. Even Stroud didnt do that. Collins had to stop and jump to catch it. That was all on Collins and an underthrown ball.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He played though. Steichen didn’t even use Pittman well. He can be better at play calling.

Steichen uses TEs like Bruce Arians who loved 3 WRs more. It’s also possible our TEs aren’t as much of playmakers??

14 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

No it's not. It's on Ballard that we are always competing, which hasn't always been the case under other management. Ballard doesn't game plan and perform on the field. The coaches can only do so much to put you in the right spots. No one predicted, not one person, that the Texans were going to run it down our throats today. That's not on Ballard, that's on the players not making plays on the field, and perhaps on some game planning/adjustments that weren't sound. No one predicted that. It was more likely Franklin would get thrown on than ran over. 

I kindly disagree. This is the problem with Ballard and why this team consistently comes up short under him. Most of his players with the exception of a few are mid level types that play hard but are limited. Instead of making some tough decisions on "his" guys to make necessary upgrades with the roster Ballard usually stands down and pays his own.

As much as the Texans ran the ball big Grov (who had no impact after suspension last season) had TWO tackles and none solo! Paye a 1st rd pick had two tackles and 1 sack.  Franklin and Speed were ran over because neither are top tier nor are they considered playmakers league wise. Most don't care for Cross yet he led the team in tackles. On many occasions he was the last between Mixon and full breakaway td runs by making solo tackles. The Colts on defense finished 28th last season in points given up yet Gus (who is considered a meh type dc league wise) was brought back to repeat with the exact same shakey secondary.

Yes Ballard and his team build decisions greatly affect the overall scope as far as competing for division titles, playoff runs and SB pushes. Chosing to build through the draft and mostly snub FA is fine but you better hit on some fringe type HOF trajectory or special players like Polian did especially in today's aggressive nfl landscape. Trading down on the regular to garner more 4th and 5th rd picks on draft day to be used mid level talent with high RAS scores instead of trading up intermittently to snag playmakers. Building inside out and staying status quo has this team solid enough to tease but not good enough to compete for anything of relevance.

The Colts now have a long history under Ballard to judge his success and it's just not good enough in a league where teams are flipping their fortunes quickly. The Texans added Mixon and Diggs via FA to an already loaded young team. Both did damage yesterday in their win while we continue to keep running back mediocrity and hoping for a different result.

• Like 1