Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts after 1st Live Action

CR91

Richardson looked like a back up. Hopefully he looks better in the next game.

Flacco looked like the starter. If he’s given the chance, he would do well with all our weapons. That being said he is old and I’d rather have AR continue to progress.

latu is going to be great

Our secondary still sucks

Gus Bradley still sucks

If we don’t have one hell of a pass Rush, we are in trouble

the new kick off sucks might as well just start each team off on the 20 yard line.

From what I’ve seen of our scrubs, we might have a depth problem. They were stinking it up.
I’m looking forward to the next game!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I noticed Taylor wore the guardian cap and it looked a lot better than I expected.

How did it look? I did not see it but I read about it. The picture that I saw of him with it on looked weird. In the game thread, I asked what fans thought of the Guardian helmets

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

How did it look? I did not see it but I read about it. The picture that I saw of him with it on looked weird. In the game thread, I asked what fans thought of the Guardian helmets

I expected Mario and Luigi to jump on them for points, lol!

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I wondered what you thought about it. What made you think it did not look so bad.

(That is the article I read earlier. I thought it looked weird.)

It just didn’t stand out as much as I thought it would.  I mean it was clear he had it on but being the color of the helmet with all the helmet logos made it look better and less obvious as it does when they wear one in practice to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheNewGuy said:

I expected Mario and Luigi to jump on them for points, lol!

I thought it looked weird. I saw when Granson caught the ball and failed to get the first down. I don't recall seeing that helmet on him though I was not looking for it. I think the article said Granson is or was using it.

I thought it looked weird. I saw when Granson caught the ball and failed to get the first down. I don't recall seeing that helmet on him though I was not looking for it. I think the article said Granson is or was using it.

Me too, I only remember what looked to be a pass thrown behind him that stopped his momentum and cost a first down. Now a couple other posters claimed he gave up on his route on that play. It must have been before the throw and I missed it, but I didn't notice his helmet, sorry.

3 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

The older generation might go with Gazo from the Flintstones

Gazoo! LMBO! I remember that well!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, G8R said:

I didn’t say he should play the whole game but there wasn’t any chance a real game type scenario was played out there which he needs. He might as well not even played bc he needs reps so if limiting him to a couple attempts bc of injury risks then don’t even put him out there.

You don’t think there was any benefit of him going out and get 7 passes on tape? He’s obviously got some rust, but it was very minimal playcalling. They aren’t going to show anything in preseason nor are they going to run him or anything like that. 

In high school, we’d play a scrimmage game prior to the season. We would run base defense the entire scrimmage and starters only played a few drives. It’s more to get your feet wet and get some fundamentals on tape to look at/learn from. If we are tripping over preseason reps in his 2nd year (after only playing a few games) then I’m not sure what to make of it. We need a full regular season, or close to it, for Anthony. If he got hurt (knock on hardwood) in the preseason right now for doing stupid stuff, this franchise would never hear the end of it. He’s getting more benefit this next week in joint practices than this game could have ever provided. 

Remember- this is a franchise under the same ownership that benched Peyton Manning with an undefeated season on the line to make sure he was healthy for the playoffs. This game meant zero. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You don’t think there was any benefit of him going out and get 7 passes on tape? He’s obviously got some rust, but it was very minimal playcalling.

I think he should have been given the next series. There was a short field. Did Steichen say why he did not come out for that third series?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think he should have been given the next series. There was a short field. Did Steichen say why he did not come out for that third series?

I agree with you. It was a great learning moment for both skill and psyche.

• Like 1

I don’t know if Shane said anything but the Broncos went to their number twos.  I don’t think AR is going to benefit much from playing against other teams backups except teaching him things he won’t be able to get away against other teams starters.

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You don’t think there was any benefit of him going out and get 7 passes on tape? He’s obviously got some rust, but it was very minimal playcalling. They aren’t going to show anything in preseason nor are they going to run him or anything like that. 

In high school, we’d play a scrimmage game prior to the season. We would run base defense the entire scrimmage and starters only played a few drives. It’s more to get your feet wet and get some fundamentals on tape to look at/learn from. If we are tripping over preseason reps in his 2nd year (after only playing a few games) then I’m not sure what to make of it. We need a full regular season, or close to it, for Anthony. If he got hurt (knock on hardwood) in the preseason right now for doing stupid stuff, this franchise would never hear the end of it. He’s getting more benefit this next week in joint practices than this game could have ever provided. 

Remember- this is a franchise under the same ownership that benched Peyton Manning with an undefeated season on the line to make sure he was healthy for the playoffs. This game meant zero. 

No, 7 passes isn’t anything you can learn from.

I agree with you that this game is meaningless as are all preseason games, at least when it comes to the standings. They are meaningful in gaining real game time(ish) reps, which he needs in heaps. My point was either put him out there and get them now, or wait for when the games do in fact count. 

Also, joint practices are for everyone other than the QB. They get to throw against other dbs but it still isn’t live reps.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if Shane said anything but the Broncos went to their number twos.  I don’t think AR is going to benefit much from playing against other teams backups except teaching him things he won’t be able to get away against other teams starters.

Okay. I still think it could have built his confidence. What does Flacco gain from that?

Also, Nix played against backups. I think he will start the season.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, G8R said:

No, 7 passes isn’t anything you can learn from.

I agree with you that this game is meaningless as are all preseason games, at least when it comes to the standings. They are meaningful in gaining real game time(ish) reps, which he needs in heaps. My point was either put him out there and get them now, or wait for when the games do in fact count. 

Also, joint practices are for everyone other than the QB. They get to throw against other dbs but it still isn’t live reps.

I disagree entirely that 7 passes in a game isn’t something that can be learned from. Everyone that dogged Richardson’s inexperience pointed to how few passes he had in college. Had he had another 7 passes per game for a season in college, it would be a much less ordeal. That’s nearly 100 over a 13 game season. I understand it seems like not a big deal, but just getting him out there today was a big deal. He’ll play more in one of the next 2 games, I’m confident of. He’ll get good reps in joint practices this week, regardless of it being “live.” He gets to throw to his receivers against defensive backs from a different team (that are unequivocally better than what he sees in practice.) I don’t see it as “make him play a bunch or not at all.” As @GoColts8818 said, it was 2nd teamers… That’s not solid evaluation for a franchise qb. It’s also probably more dangerous for him considering those guys are playing for roster spots and more likely to pull a Nick Cross bonehead hit on the guy. We can agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. I still think it could have built his confidence. What does Flacco gain from that?

Probably little at his level of professional experience, other than staying fresh a bit. But it is an evaluation tool for the coaching staff. Not just for him but for the weapons and o-line that gets some quality reps with a true pro under center. That’s not nothing… 

I agree that we disagree my friend. But I’ve watched his hs tape and every snap in college if it isn’t obvious by my name. I’m all in on AR and his biggest fan, but he needs to make up reps he didn’t get last year. IMO those need to be now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Also, Nix played against backups. I think he will start the season.

Nix has also never played in the NFL before.  Richardson has.  He knows the speed of the game.  Nix has never seen it and might not be the starter opening day.  

As for Flacco he played what one series?  That’s just to knock the rust off not teach him anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, G8R said:

I agree that we disagree my friend. But I’ve watched his hs tape and every snap in college if it isn’t obvious by my name. I’m all in on AR and his biggest fan, but he needs to make up reps he didn’t get last year. IMO those need to be now.

You can be his biggest fan and I still won’t agree that the reps he needs are against 2nd stringers from the Broncos in the 1st preseason game. He needs legit regular season games, and an entire season. If he can get 2 quarters against starters this preseason, it’ll be a good thing. Today wasn’t the day. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

You can be his biggest fan and I still won’t agree that the reps he needs are against 2nd stringers from the Broncos in the 1st preseason game. He needs legit regular season games, and an entire season. If he can get 2 quarters against starters this preseason, it’ll be a good thing. Today wasn’t the day. 

Sarcastic With Love GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Like 1

7-10 season from this first outing. The only excuse was hiding what they will do during the season. That excuse was used before and it only proved that what we saw was what we will throughout the season. The kicking game is underperforming and over paid by a long shot. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

1st preseason game is usually a knock the rust off game.

11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It certainly looked like the first game of a preseason. Very bland and vanilla on offense. Not going to read too much into that right now, tbh.

We’ve seen better, we’ve seen worse. 

Yep. 

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Nix has also never played in the NFL before.  Richardson has.  He knows the speed of the game.  Nix has never seen it and might not be the starter opening day.  

As for Flacco he played what one series?  That’s just to knock the rust off not teach him anything.

Yeah- the big one being Nix is being evaluated to possibly be a starter week 1. We know who is our starter (first time we’ve had the same one in consecutive starts since 2018). 

Some new fans don’t understand that or the trauma for this franchise because of it. I’d rather Richardson start week 1 healthy in a massive division game just for that fact than see him play full halves in the preseason against backups for “reps”. But maybe that’s just me.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah- the big one being Nix is being evaluated to possibly be a starter week 1. We know who is our starter (first time we’ve had the same one in consecutive starts since 2018). 

Some new fans don’t understand that or the trauma for this franchise because of it. I’d rather Richardson start week 1 healthy in a massive division game just for that fact than see him play full halves in the preseason against backups for “reps”. But maybe that’s just me.

Lol. I'm not a new fan. Some of us have our preferences. No need to take a shot at folks. Thanks.

• Like 2

Anybody watch CJ Stroud on the second drive take it to the house with a beautiful pass to Tank Dell against Steeler first lineup?  He was done after that TD. You should watch their confidence and command he had with his WR on the sideline and their coaches. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Anybody watch CJ Stroud on the second drive take it to the house with a beautiful pass to Tank Dell against Steeler first lineup?  He was done after that TD. You should watch their confidence and command he had with his WR on the sideline and their coaches. 

We all saw Stroud and Dell play almost an entire season together last year, and Stroud win ROY. Not surprised in the least. Wonder how much he played last preseason week 1 against 2nd string? That would be the comparison I’d seek…

7 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Clearly Stroud is in complete command of that offense 

AR is struggling to throw a simple pass over the middle to Gransen that any 2nd or 3rd string QB could easily hit.

AR has alot of catching up to do to Stroud

I'm very sorry 

• Thanks 1